So, tonights tea was..........................

Auric Goldfinger

2 hours ago, Colin170CR said:

I'm undecided what to have tonight for tea.

Thinking perhaps Chinese or Indian takeaway. Alternatively, hot dogs & onions from our fridge.

We are eating out as a family for a birthday meal tomorrow (Turkish) & yours truly will be picking up the tab so I guess I should keep it light & cheap tonight.

So that's my decision - Chinese takeaway 🍲😋

Then again, I've got a £10 note in my pocket so I could get a Doner Kebab & chips 🥙(they don't take cards) & it will be cheaper than a Chinese or an Indian.  

Decisions, decisions.  

Decision made.

Medium Doner & small chips. £9. Last of the big spenders. 

Tomorrow's birthday meal for my son will involve 6 & 1/2 persons so economy today seemed to be the prudent decision.

As always the Pitta bread was stuffed to overflowing with Doner meat & salad &, the chips were nice & crunchy.

The beer is from a box entitled the Dorset Dozen from Badger. I have a few more to go when watching the Rugby highlights. 

image.png.7bc45d15f28831ff92d7721e029ca408.png

Edited by Colin170CR
  • Like 2

chicken biryhani, chips, peshawari naan, saag aloo side and a side of chicken pakora.

enough for me and the missus, the pakora is as extra chicken for all the rice 🤣

dips are... everything but extra mango.

• Like 1

Biltong. Anyone tried it? I got addicted in Southern Africa. In UK today its expensive, and an old South African mate told me how to make it. But, I;ve found a cheaper way for cheaper grade Bilton. Take one tray of Aldi sliced roast beef and leave in fridge to harden . Add spices/salt+ black pepper and it's ready.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, VWD said:

Biltong. Anyone tried it? I got addicted in Southern Africa. In UK today its expensive, and an old South African mate told me how to make it. But, I;ve found a cheaper way for cheaper grade Bilton. Take one tray of Aldi sliced roast beef and leave in fridge to harden . Add spices/salt+ black pepper and it's ready.

My son makes biltong for Christmas. I think he has a drier of some description. 

BBQ in b-in-laws barn, 5 French, 4 Anglais, gonna get interesting later as none of the 5 French speak English and 2 of us only speak French and me a little only...

20230916-195910.jpg

Apologies for the pic quality, I appear to have had too much to drink 😀

• Like 3
  • Love it! 1

19 hours ago, VWD said:

Yes I too became addicted in Afrique de Sud, I had South African tenants in my UK house, the best tenants ever, they invited me to a couple of their Braiis, talk about a meatfest! Billtong was always the highlight, they used to buy it from a shop run by Ex-Patriot South Africans and I have seen it a couple of times in World Food shops, not in France of course!!

3 minutes ago, olduns said:

BBQ in b-in-laws barn, 5 French, 4 Anglais, gonna get interesting later as none of the 5 French speak English and 2 of us only speak French and me a little only...

20230916-195910.jpg

Apologies for the pic quality, I appear to have had too much to drink 😀

My kinda food. 

My French is also a bit "pidgeon" 🐦 &, I eat them on occasion. 

I rely on my wife for the "entant cordial" as she speaks decent business French & fairly good German.

Me, 2 beers please in about 5 languages & that's it.

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Yes I too became addicted in Afrique de Sud, I had South African tenants in my UK house, the best tenants ever, they invited me to a couple of their Braiis, talk about a meatfest! Billtong was always the highlight, they used to buy it from a shop run by Ex-Patriot South Africans and I have seen it a couple of times in World Food shops, not in France of course!!

Yep, I remember Braiis in Parts of Zimbabwe that still considered it part of Rhodesia( or a colony of RSA over the Limpopa), where a BRAII was a social event far removed from the OZ or Brit version. In those days I was stationed close to the limpopa river in Brietbridge with two native assistants, who were the best mates any rail tech could want. I did the callouts and they got the overtime . But at the weekend it was wood collection days. They only had fires to cook on, so Wednesday/Thursday and Friday it was wood collection days. Mpoanie wood in the bush , one load for the lads and a half load for my BBQ . That wood was that hard, that it weighed like bricks.

Losing track of days 🙄

Fantastic Sunday roasts at the Fylingdales Inn:

IMG_7767.thumb.jpeg.8ac5c1b58ad4dadc63808bb44cb0707b.jpeg

Pork (lots!) for me, and Turkey for Mrs Gaz.  As good a Sunday roast as I remember having 👍😎

Gaz

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

Well due to circumstances out of my control we had to eat at MD tonight. 

Spent best part of the day trying to fix our fridge / freezer (see "What annoyed you today" forum) so come tea time I / we didn't have the will to start cooking. 

Easy solution was MD drive thru. 

Now looking at Fridge Freezers to replace ours. Expensive month this!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, @Lee said:

Just a spag bol

image.jpeg.3ea71cf5d402dfbad966c6cee3f42c84.jpeg

Snap.

Well for last nights tea at least. Half way through cooking. 

Enough to last me for a week! 🍲

Might turn some of it into a Cottage pie. 

image.png.4a1cb7b8bbe004d0dbb460e97e011bfa.png

• Like 3
  • Love it! 1

14 minutes ago, Colin170CR said:

Snap.

Well for last nights tea at least. Half way through cooking. 

Enough to last me for a week! 🍲

Might turn some of it into a Cottage pie. 

image.png.4a1cb7b8bbe004d0dbb460e97e011bfa.png

A fair bit left over here as well but I'll freeze it down.

About time I made another shepherd's/ cottage pie. There's a BBC Good Food recipe I always use. Ignore the bit about red wine being optional. It ruddy well isn't 🤣 

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/cottage-pie

On 16/09/2023 at 00:00, Colin170CR said:

My son makes biltong for Christmas. I think he has a drier of some description. 

South African mate told me he'd made a drier box( wooden frame with fine mesh screen on sides ( to keep out flies) and lets it "mellow" outside in the sun.

1 hour ago, @Lee said:

A fair bit left over here as well but I'll freeze it down.

About time I made another shepherd's/ cottage pie. There's a BBC Good Food recipe I always use. Ignore the bit about red wine being optional. It ruddy well isn't 🤣 

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/cottage-pie

I've pretty much got all of that & more in my Bol - except the celery which & can add. 

Red wine as well. 

• Like 1

Childhood special tonight - no pics though.

2 x all beef Hot Dogs in soft rolls with mutard & Tom sauce

Tinned Rice Pudding & Tin Fruit salad for pud.

Cutting back after a week of take outs & a pub Sunday Roast for 5 as we helped our son settle into his new / old house. 

• Like 3

Bit of Surf & Turf, albeit on seperate nights.

Last night was Prawn Wonton soup with Panko Shrimp & sweet chilli sauce. Both from Costco.

Tonight was Ribeye Steak, chips & garden grown Toms.

image.png.f7d19b04adadaee315d4ede63e146d26.png

image.png.a3a88dcb35400c991a832fe26314bbaa.png

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1