So, tonights tea was..........................

Auric Goldfinger

6 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Nice starter, what's for Mains....................

That's next week when I spend my Birthday in Goa. Breakfast, lunch and 3 course dinner plus too much alcohol every day for a week. Like Xmas day but lasting a whole week.:thinking:

35 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Nice starter, what's for Mains....................

What you require sir is the La Mirage of helmsdale fish tea

2 large battered haddock, 

Giant portion of chips, 

Half loaf of bread, 

Pot of tea... 

Didn't have a pic of this feast myself, had to nick someone else's. Defo need an elasticated waist band for giving this one ago. 

monster-portions-with.jpg

• Like 3

On 22/11/2019 at 19:22, Gmac983 said:

What you require sir is the La Mirage of helmsdale fish tea

2 large battered haddock, 

Giant portion of chips, 

Half loaf of bread, 

Pot of tea... 

Didn't have a pic of this feast myself, had to nick someone else's. Defo need an elasticated waist band for giving this one ago. 

monster-portions-with.jpg

This is a GIANT size portion, could have done with more peas

Unknown.jpeg

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Baking/cooking day today, I made some green olive bread and as we'd got some chicken thighs and a lot of vegetables that needed using up before shopping day  so I made a batch of chicken soup. Most of it will get put into the freezer for next weeks meals.

The bread turned out really nice too.

m0sxIOSl.jpg

• Like 2

On 25/11/2019 at 15:40, lancpudn said:

Tonight's tea will be home made Ham & vegetable soup with a fresh crusty tiger loaf.

Nice, but I'll see your soup and throw in Skate wings , pan fried , with home made chips and a peppercorn sauce. Only complaints were that the skate was a bit small and ( although it was reduced ) was still not old enough . For those not into skate, it's like wine /cheese or game meat.  And for the uninitiated, it tastes better as it ages. For the folk newly introduced ,it's best at just a few days old, as after a  days it starts to mature and gives off a mild ammonia smell. Up on the north west coast ( and I'm told on Skye) , it's tradition to hang a wing outdoors to cure. ( Problem in my little village was that one of my teenage pet dogs ,loved his skate well hung. Neighbour complained that his skate hung on the washing line to mature went missing. We hadn't got the heart to tell him that our little terrier often came home with a wing , and by th state the wing was very well hung. )

Skate was followed by a chunk of home made fruit cake ( multi fruit, including cherries), but made with half sucrose sugar ( i am diabetic 😁) and custard made likewise and with  tinned milk.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, VWD said:

Nice, but I'll see your soup and throw in Skate wings , pan fried , with home made chips and a peppercorn sauce. Only complaints were that the skate was a bit small and ( although it was reduced ) was still not old enough . For those not into skate, it's like wine /cheese or game meat.  And for the uninitiated, it tastes better as it ages. For the folk newly introduced ,it's best at just a few days old, as after a  days it starts to mature and gives off a mild ammonia smell. Up on the north west coast ( and I'm told on Skye) , it's tradition to hang a wing outdoors to cure. ( Problem in my little village was that one of my teenage pet dogs ,loved his skate well hung. Neighbour complained that his skate hung on the washing line to mature went missing. We hadn't got the heart to tell him that our little terrier often came home with a wing , and by th state the wing was very well hung. )

Skate was followed by a chunk of home made fruit cake ( multi fruit, including cherries), but made with half sucrose sugar ( i am diabetic 😁) and custard made likewise and with  tinned milk.

That sounds nice. I've still not got around to trying skate yet. 😮 We eat a lot of fish in our family but we never see it for sale locally.

9 hours ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Early tea today....................With Toast.    :nod:

I've already had dinner, and washed up.  But I could demolish that right now 😎

Gaz

9 hours ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Early tea today....................With Toast.    :nod:

IMG_2636.jpg

Good lad with the poached eggs.

But where the hell is the Lorne sausage or at least a nice Cumberland.... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lancpudn said:

That sounds nice. I've still not got around to trying skate yet. 😮 We eat a lot of fish in our family but we never see it for sale locally.

It's a member of the ray family ( as in the ray that killed Steve Irwin), and a bottom dwelling fish. It's got a poison barb in it's tail and poison sacs close the bit we eat( the wings) ,so thse have to be removed by a person knowing who knows how to . Again for those that know how to, there's a nice bit of flesh ( known as Skate balls ) between the wings and the poison sac.

From a fish shop, the wings are usually cleaned, but I remember my mother telling me how she had to clean the outside & remove the skin with hot water  and lots of scrubbing.

As I said, it's sold on a use by date, but I ( and Swimbo, a convert to aged fish)find this too fresh as I like mine matured a little bit, so what the fish shop says is almost out of date ,to me is just about right. But at this stage ,it could be a bit strong for someone new to it.  Basically, the "wing" ( what the fish flaps to move ) consists of flesh on top of a gristle type bone structure. From the fish shop( I've found Morrisons most likely to stock  and also least knowledgable of how it matures as they seem to want to discount it earlier than it's age IMHO would suggest-but hey- it's an ill wind) , it's either shallow fry  on it's own ,or as mum did, coat in flour and shallow fry. From memory cooking time is short ( no real idea as Swimbo, taught by MIL is the expert).

Gmac- Beef lorne ,AKA square, sliced sausage  - the odds on finding that are equal to the square root of the distance from the BORDER. It's easier to find something resembling a pint of Heavy in my part of the Midlands than anything like a decent bit of beef Lorne. And that's in the bit of the midlands whre there's one estate called the "Jock estate", from the number of ex miners descended from immigrants form the Lowlands pits.

Cumberland- I've not seen any decent ones in the shops. And that brunch- missing a bit of white pudding and fried cloutie .

Poached eggs- I use a small pan, with plastic inserts. I keep the inserts out of pan whilst water is boiling and coat the inside with margarine ( stork baking is best). Break the eggs into the inserts and add to pan when water is boiling. Cook to taste- I find a good starting point is circa 5 mins.

And I know ,I shouldn't do it, but AG will know how the dog loves it- any leftover Sausage/ bacon (and especially) poached egg gets a happy dog.

• Like 1

@VWD

If we're going all out on the mixed grilled/fry-up then could also do with a nice bit of haggis on there too... 

Alternatively for breakfast/lunch, smoked haddies and poached eggs on toast with grilled cheese. 

11 minutes ago, Gmac983 said:

@VWD

If we're going all out on the mixed grilled/fry-up then could also do with a nice bit of haggis on there too... 

Alternatively for breakfast/lunch, smoked haddies and poached eggs on toast with grilled cheese. 

shopping.jpeg.232de54f805655fef5841e2f92e7fd36.jpegUnknown-1.jpeg.276345d51b2662fd043732fb7ad1e6ca.jpegUnknown-2.jpeg.62668e10ea0f7e3b339ab8f2dedc993a.jpegimages.jpeg.244157a8be3fae250d793cddef250cf0.jpeg

Tomorrows Tea..........................

Unknown.jpeg.5e0a3a61a77d2437ca82f3af2495475e.jpeg

Unknown.jpeg

Unknown-3.jpeg

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Gmac983 said:

@VWD

I used to prefer an early kipper breakfast ( well very late night) of a kipper in tinfoil "cooked" in the ashes of the kippering fire.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lancpudn said:

Friday night's tea is home made meatballs with spaghetti and a garlic & coriander naan bread.

adIKhf6l.jpg

Orc7KRxl.jpg

I spot 12 meatball in the first piccy, then tea is only 3 in a dish so I'm taking it as a Meat ball, spaghetti and naan's as a Starter, then meat balls Spaghetti and Naan's for the mains, so what's for Pud ?  Meatballs, spaghetti and naan's ??

It looks very nice though

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

I spot 12 meatball in the first piccy, then tea is only 3 in a dish so I'm taking it as a Meat ball, spaghetti and naan's as a Starter, then meat balls Spaghetti and Naan's for the mains, so what's for Pud ?  Meatballs, spaghetti and naan's ??

It looks very nice though

lol I'm saving some for supper.

4 minutes ago, lancpudn said:

lol I ate the rest while i was waiting for the pasta to cook.

Ftfy, to make Andy happier about portion size ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2