How long have you kept/ do you plan to keep your Fabia?

dellia

Hey, everyone, as I posted in another thread, I am a recent owner of a 1.0 manual Fabia, which aside from the energy blue colour that i hate, seems to be a very decent car for its pricing. However, I do plan to get an automatic next time around (Skoda or not), and though the dealer said the average timespan with a user for a Fabia is 8 yrs, i plan to change it much sooner. So how long have you kept your Fabia before selling/trading it for another car, or how long do you think it's worth it keeping, in case no major issues will arise? I only use it for 10-15 miles a day. Thanks a lot!

If you have have bought it i would think you had best keep it for a long timeor it works out pretty expensive changing in the first few years

even if it will cover so low miles.

I suspect the dealer was in Romania you spoke to or was it a salesperson and tell and they tell as many porkies as they do in the UK.

Someone buying a new Fabia or slightly used one might well have it for 8 years.

Those that are bought to be leased are not 7 years with the lease company or anyone leasing them.

• Like 1

I got mine at 3 years old which to me is new as I hate to spend a fortune on cars. My last car was a Vauxhall Astra that I had for 10 years from 1 year old. Will see how long I get out of this. I did 180k in the Astra. I was going to keep it longer but someone wrote it off so had no choice. 

• Like 3

I keep them for the 3 years BUT it will depend on which government is in and what

any new rules/limitations are placed on car users.

I may be happy to hand it back to the dealer and wash my hands of it but in the meantime

I  will enjoy my Fabia Estate.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gumdrop said:

I keep them for the 3 years BUT it will depend on which government is in and what

any new rules/limitations are placed on car users.

I may be happy to hand it back to the dealer and wash my hands of it but in the meantime

I  will enjoy my Fabia Estate.

Is it a lease car?

Yes it is a PCP, I had many years of getting up close and personal with engines and bodywork.

Of course I have the option of keeping it but also of walking away.

• Like 1

I bought a Fabia 1.9 elegance estate new in 2006. I kept it for over 6 years and passed it on to my son who needed wheels for a new job. It's 14 years old in Feb with just under 100k miles on the clock. Had the ECU mapped to 145 bhp. 

When its been washed and polished, it still looks like new! 

It's had three faults, all self repaired by research on the Internet. They were water ingress through the rear doors (perished inner seals, daubed with roof sealant mastic), the rear exhaust heat shield flapping (an electrolytic problem in many VAG cars of that era, fixed with nylon fasteners), and water vapour in a headlight (replaced with a secondhand unit). 

Maybe our Montecarlo won't last as long as it doesn't seem as solid or well built. Hopefully, we can keep it until the next generation of EVs come along with innovative in wheel motors and better batteries! 😁

• Like 2

I keep cars until they are either uneconomical to repair or I know something is dying so I palm it off. I prefer to know what's right with a car but also what is wrong.

I'm hoping my little fabia diesel estate should 'last' 10+ years and 150k.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TerFar said:

I bought a Fabia 1.9 elegance estate new in 2006. I kept it for over 6 years and passed it on to my son who needed wheels for a new job. It's 14 years old in Feb with just under 100k miles on the clock. Had the ECU mapped to 145 bhp. 

When its been washed and polished, it still looks like new! 

It's had three faults, all self repaired by research on the Internet. They were water ingress through the rear doors (perished inner seals, daubed with roof sealant mastic), the rear exhaust heat shield flapping (an electrolytic problem in many VAG cars of that era, fixed with nylon fasteners), and water vapour in a headlight (replaced with a secondhand unit). 

Maybe our Montecarlo won't last as long as it doesn't seem as solid or well built. Hopefully, we can keep it until the next generation of EVs come along with innovative in wheel motors and better batteries! 😁

I’m selling mine as just ordered a new e-golf. The petrol bill is killing me at £250+/mo

• Like 1

I'll be changing mine at the end of the PCP agreement. Very, very pleased with the car, but I'm now doing more motorway miles and could do with something with a bit more room. Additionally, I really regret not getting the DSG - next car will definitely be an automatic!

Had looked at the Scala as a replacement, but I'm not a massive fan of the styling and (at the moment at least) the price doesn't seem that competitive.

Will probably go for a nearly-new Focus (or similar) next time around.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

15 miles per day = 4/5k miles per annum and with the build and reliability of these cars I will probably keep mine like for ever (3.5k miles per annum me) If you are a low mileage user it simply does not make economic sense to change every 3 or 4 years because you are caning youself with the cost of depreciation. Back 30/40 years ago when cars rusted out or engines started to give up at 80k miles I used to change around every five years but cars are not like that these days.

• Like 1

On 02/11/2019 at 16:52, sparckzero said:

I'll be changing mine at the end of the PCP agreement. Very, very pleased with the car, but I'm now doing more motorway miles and could do with something with a bit more room. Additionally, I really regret not getting the DSG - next car will definitely be an automatic!

Had looked at the Scala as a replacement, but I'm not a massive fan of the styling and (at the moment at least) the price doesn't seem that competitive.

Will probably go for a nearly-new Focus (or similar) next time around.

Pretty well the same outlook as me. I find the OH's DSG 1.2 90ps Polo a breeze to drive whenever I have to. 

Don't get me wrong, the Fabia has been just fine for the 12k miles I've done in 8 months, but more room + auto box would be a nice step up. 

Unfortunately, this decision won't come around for another 3 and 1/3 years...

• Like 1

First 2005 Skoda was a Fabia Vrs 1.9 TDI i kept that for 4 years i sold it get a bigger car.

Then a 2009 Skoda Superb before this and i took it from 29k miles onto 145k in 4 years. I then reduced my annual mileages a little and bought a bigger car for the wife, so did not need the big Superb.

Now have a 2015 Fabia SE L 1.4TDI, with 92K on it, i plan on keeping until its uneconomical to repair.

• Like 1

On 02/11/2019 at 12:18, abaxas said:

I keep cars until they are either uneconomical to repair or I know something is dying so I palm it off. I prefer to know what's right with a car but also what is wrong.

I'm hoping my little fabia diesel estate should 'last' 10+ years and 150k.

In our family we do the same. My mother has only had 3 cars since 1993! :o  91 AX diesel, from 1993 until it burst into flames in 2005. Then Mk1 Fabia TDI 05 until last year hit something and broke subframe mounts (and other things). She now has a Mk3 Fabia SEL and is planning to keep it just as long.  This year I bought my 3rd car too.  My Grandad's old Metro (97-06) then a Mk1 Fabia vRS, 2006-2019.  I don't know if I'll keep my Fiesta as long, but we'll have to wait and see.

Edited by Jim H
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I have had my new Fabia iii for only a short while and I am sorry to say I am actively looking round to trade it in for something I find easier to drive. It just has so much gadgetry that I cannot feel confident this car will give me trouble free motoring. I might be wrong and if I am still posting here in a year or so feel free to ask me what changed my mind. But I have ever had any car as frustrating and hateful as my Fabia .

Oh dear - that sounds as though you have had someting awful happen to you.

I have only had my Fabia Mk3 since Sept. and I have to say that I am discovering more and more to like about it every time I drive it. Yes, there are a  lot of toys on there, some of which I most likely will never use or refer to, but I do like the fact that they are there for the day when I do get to grips with it all.

So [sorry] here's a surprising thing. I just had to sell my Range Rover which was 14 years old and falling to bits. I'm retired now so couldn't afford another [2nd hand] one so after much research I ended up with the Fabia. It took a little while to get used to it and stop driving it like a London bus but I love it - now! I was always under the impression that the RR was complicated but it had nowhere near the faciility of the Fabia

Why don't you let us know what is frustrrating you and making your Fabia so hateful? I'm sure someone on here can help.

R-

Thank you Roger. No disrespect intended to any other Skoda owners. I just came to it from an old car and discovered tons of electronics I don't want, solving problems I didn't have. I won't list them, or the hours spent screaming at the infotainment system,  and turn a helpful forum into Rantspace.  I am not alone. I have a friend who cannot operate the heater unless his wife is in the car to do it for him on the touchscreen. (not a Skoda). I did discover two things. First Suzuki allegedly are saying touchscreen for essential controls is a mistake, and second there appears to be a thriving market in lower mileage five year old cars for this very reason.

Anyway, thank you for your concern. It is appreciated.

I have had my Fabia since April 2015 apart from servicing and having to replace 2 tyres due to damage the only real problem I have had is with the turbo charger which my local garage has been able to sort out without having to replace it. In April I will have the timing belt replaced not sure if I need to replace the water pump at the same time as longe as the bills stay low I will keep it as long as possible at 75 it might see me out :) Joe

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, JoePeddos said:

I have had my Fabia since April 2015 apart from servicing and having to replace 2 tyres due to damage the only real problem I have had is with the turbo charger which my local garage has been able to sort out without having to replace it. In April I will have the timing belt replaced not sure if I need to replace the water pump at the same time as longe as the bills stay low I will keep it as long as possible at 75 it might see me out :) Joe

Steady there, I've just had my "we want your nasty old green licence" letter and stuff from DVLA!

The water pump lives down the other end of the engine and has its own small drive belt I believe, so it will not trash the engine if it or its belt fails.