New Octavia 2020 vRS?

uno234

11 hours ago, Greezy56 said:

New VRS needs the Cupra , Golf R type performance as an option. Why would the Skoda group not get what the others have. Im sick of the poor cousin badge and the last choice of the parts bins. Audi first followed by the rest. The new octy has 3 series looks , certainly on the back pillars.

Im sick of saying to colleagues, " its a SKODA but its got this and its from the same family as the ,, etc  

That requires a new performance designation though. The vRS is a GTI alternative, not an R alternative. 

21 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

That requires a new performance designation though. The vRS is a GTI alternative, not an R alternative. 

My 245 is a Golf GTi PP (Performance Pack, bigger brakes, wider rear track and faster steering) with a 590 litre boot (Golf 380 litre) but importantly £8,000 cheaper than the Golf. Who cares that it has a Skoda badge on the bonnet, boot and steering wheel, I don't.:)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Greezy56 said:

New VRS needs the Cupra , Golf R type performance as an option. Why would the Skoda group not get what the others have. Im sick of the poor cousin badge and the last choice of the parts bins. Audi first followed by the rest. The new octy has 3 series looks , certainly on the back pillars.

Im sick of saying to colleagues, " its a SKODA but its got this and its from the same family as the ,, etc  

Agreed; Haldex and at very least the 265ps overboost function is needed to make the Octavia vRS competitive in todays hot hatch market where ~300bhp is now the norm.  I dare say there's some internal politics at play as a higher output Octavia could potentially steel sales away from the Golf R and/or GTI.  Though I think that argument carries less weight as time goes by as Skoda seem to be hiking up prices to levels that near enough force people to think "for a little bit more I'll take the VW or Audi"; brokers and lease companies also seem to offer bigger discounts on VW's too.  I think Skoda really do need to step up now, the hot hatch market has moved on and they are really starting to lag behind the competition in terms of performance, spec, design and tech (so near enough at every level) and the 'but it's got a big boot' tag line is also starting to wear a bit thin now. 

33 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

Why shouldn't it be though?  VW have two hot versions, Skoda have one...why shouldn't it be a R or Cupra alternative?  

2 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Why shouldn't it be though?  VW have two hot versions, Skoda have one...why shouldn't it be a R or Cupra alternative?  

I'm hoping it's on it's way in the next model

SEAT have only recently gained 4WD in the leon ST to rival the golf R after many high power FWD Cupras. 

And looking across to the Octavias brother, the R-Edition Passat is boasting a 280bhp TSi with 4motion or 240bhp TDi

Edited by uttanutta12
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Because that’s how the VAG hierarchy works. Skoda is the value brand.  And yeah, I get there is probably a debate to be had about how near £30K cars count as value. 

4 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

Because that’s how the VAG hierarchy works. Skoda is the value brand.  And yeah, I get there is probably a debate to be had about how near £30K cars count as value. 

£30k is value when the sporty passat starts at something like £43k!

1 minute ago, uttanutta12 said:

£30k is value when the sporty passat starts at something like £43k!

My well equipped Vrs245 hatch had a list price of £27,595 back in 2017 and even with 3 nice options it was only £28,100 OTR. A Golf GTi PP with options to match my Octavia was over £36,000 which was Golf R money (standard Golf R are quite basic in comparison).:thumbup:

20 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Though I think that argument carries less weight as time goes by as Skoda seem to be hiking up prices to levels that near enough force people to think "for a little bit more I'll take the VW or Audi"; brokers and lease companies also seem to offer bigger discounts on VW's too.  I think Skoda really do need to step up now, the hot hatch market has moved on and they are really starting to lag behind the competition in terms of performance, spec, design and tech (so near enough at every level) and the 'but it's got a big boot' tag line is also starting to wear a bit thin now. 

The actual monthly costs to get "more expensive" VW/Audi alternatives to an Octavia on a PCP/PCH are often pretty similar due to better residuals and higher initial discounts.  

Not sure I agree that the VRS is lagging behind on the tech/spec front. I agree 300bhp is really the starting point for a serious hot hatch these days but I can't see the Octavia ever being a Civic Type R/Megane RS competitor. Is it intended to be?

I need the big (estate) boot and reasonable comfort on long journeys more than I need the ultimate hot hatch.

• Like 4

^^^ agree completely. I would say the octy vrs was never intended to be an uber hatch (or estate). It's more intended as a everyman grand tourer and all the better for it. 

Edited by Gmac983
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Greezy56 said:

The obvious reason is that Skoda owners are tight and want the performance and nice bits but don't want to pay the extra cash

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

That's me spot on he he LOL.:D

It's true, I am one if them. The MkII TFSI VRS hammered my BMW  523i and  my mapped MkIII  220 was fantastic value. There are a few things on my Golf that are better quality than the MkIII. It is more pointy, decent exhaust note, digi dash etc but I do miss the boot space of the Octy and some irritating things, like the climate heated front screen clears every cm of the screen, but you have to go into the screen menu to air con instead of simply pressing a button on the dash. You get what you pay for. 

Edited by Redboy
Autospeller!

11 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

My well equipped Vrs245 hatch had a list price of £27,595 back in 2017 and even with 3 nice options it was only £28,100 OTR. A Golf GTi PP with options to match my Octavia was over £36,000 which was Golf R money (standard Golf R are quite basic in comparison).:thumbup:

Interesting comparisons. SWBO's R wagon was bought brand new in May '16, & with £8k's worth of options it listed at £42.6K.

Yes, far too expensive as a replacement for Octy mk 2 FL vRS, but as it was a VW "target car" at the time, a loyalty bonus 'cos I owned a VW at that time & a decent discount from the dealer we paid £32.5K. Quite happy...... If, back then Skoda were allowed to build a 245 ps. 4WD Octy vRS  we would have bought one, but.......

My R hatch was built about 8 months later, & some of the options had been added to the basic car, so it listed circa £35K . I'm the 2nd owner so I've no idea if the 1st owner paid list price, but as a 15 month old used car I was happy with the asking price. 

Problem is, it's not my favourite car, in fact my old Superb is still my preferred daily driver. If Skoda UK can produce a decent Mk. 4 vRS with 4WD I'm a potential customer. 

Watch this space......

• Like 1

21 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

My 245 is a Golf GTi PP (Performance Pack, bigger brakes, wider rear track and faster steering) with a 590 litre boot (Golf 380 litre) but importantly £8,000 cheaper than the Golf. Who cares that it has a Skoda badge on the bonnet, boot and steering wheel, I don't.:)

And imagine the power you could get out it for that £8k of difference...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Indeed I decided to spend £3,000 extracting an extra 94bhp and 147nm of torque so Golf R's don't blow me away, much to their annoyance.:)

Yup, and you end up with a more unique car too. In my 15 minute drive to work I see 4 Golf Rs every day, 3 are the same colour.

Well having got one of the Skoda unicorns (petrol 4x4) to be honest it wouldn't have needed to be that high on power. 220-250 petrol bhp in a really usable chassis was all I was asking for. I got the closest thing I could 180bhp

Since I bought it 300+bhp would be an easy mornings work, I even have the required delivery mileage turbo in a box waiting.

But I just can't say I need it. In the 4 years I have had it I have never really felt it lacking in the ability to get places quickly. I keep reminding myself that 200 bhp was all that was in the original Quattro and that did OK on the road.

The Octy could do with going round corners better, but that would not be difficult to fix.

A 250bhp petrol 4x4 compact load lugger would be a useful machine and wouldn't step on too many VAG toes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saints92 said:

Yup, and you end up with a more unique car too. In my 15 minute drive to work I see 4 Golf Rs every day, 3 are the same colour.

Wow, R's are not common around here, saw one last Saturday, & that was the 1st in the last month or so. FWIW we were surprised that R's are scarce in Germany too, the only one seen in 2 weeks was SWMBO's R wagon.

Maybe I'm getting too old to care, but if a tweaked vRS wants to race me, then I'd not bother to waste fuel. Any R will out-drag a FWD car for the 1st 20/30 feet, after that it's all down the power to weight ratio. Roll-on the AWD vRS, maybe some time next year? If that happens I can get rid of the Superb & the Golf & we can go back to being a 2 car family again.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/12/2019 at 19:42, Tcots said:

Photos and specs

SKODA OCTAVIA RS 2020

Specs all seem pretty speculative rather than being based on new information from Skoda?

0-60 time seems pretty ambitious from their estimated specs for a FWD as well when compared to the current model!

Google Translate:

"The new Skoda Octavia will certainly be available on petrol. The car should have a 2.0-liter 4-cylinder turbo with around 260-280 hp and a maximum torque of about 380 Nm. The maximum speed will be 250 km / h and the sprint from 0 to 100 will be burned in about 5.5 seconds . This version will be equipped with front-wheel drive combined with a 7-speed DSG automatic transmission."

Yeah - All seems like guesswork at the moment. The Auto Bild link near the top of article thinks it might be Diesel only!

https://www.autobild.de/artikel/skoda-octavia-rs-2020-combi-vorschau-illustration-design-motor-16144289.html

Im just hoping for petrol and 4x4... The 272 from the Superb would be perfect.

• Like 1