Do you think they'll ring back...............?

Auric Goldfinger

I been getting loads off these " We understand you have been involved in an accident that wasn't your fault" calls lately, it's from the same person ( a Lady ) and I've blocked numbers but they keep ringing from other numbers. I've asked and asked for them to remove my number from there data base but to no avail.

So today when they called me again I told the young lady that my car was in for a service today and I'll do my best to have an accident on the way home and could they ring me tomorrow about 10AM 

The line went dead.........." Do you think they'll ring me tomorrow" ?     :call:

• Haha 4

Don't get many at home or mobile, but an old Aunt I visit gets loads (she's on a mugs list I think)

I just say it wasn't an accident as I intended to kill them, or string them along to waste their time (if I'm bored!)

I have also blown a whistle down the phone, mentioned GDPR and TPS until they hang up.

I just ask them which one?  the one where i lost an arm or the leg one.

then just tell them as they're ringing me they obviously have more info than i do.

If you're really lucky then the poor soul in the Call centre passes to a Manager thinking they've hooked one.....

anyone else started having the Automated Tax Fraud one yet, if you don't press one then you'll be going to Court/jail etc

I get loads of calls on my mobile) asking for Andrew Craven. I have no idea why, 'cos I ain't him.  Assume he had the number before I did?

One of my cousins is a personal injury lawyer; lives in a very big house and drives a Porsche. 

Wish I'd been born in a time before all this crud existed...

Edited by Wino

I get loads asking for Sheila Hunt. I explain that I'm her husband Mike and can happily field the enquiry, but that I'm busy now and have them call me back later... being sure to ask for me, though. I then take the subsequent call on speakerphone. Much giggling ensues!!

Failing that, I put on my best posh British accent and answer a couple of queries, but then explain that I cannot assist further as I don't actually speak English.

• Like 1

I put them on speaker phone and shout out to the wife that we are having a huge payout and that family holiday to Florida is a bit closer. They then panic and hang up. I try to keep them talking though to ensure their time is wasted. 

On 28/11/2019 at 14:42, Auric Goldfinger said:

I have done but it makes no difference, these calls are to my mobile …

It was my mobile I signed up for. We never use the home phone (unplugged).

On 28/11/2019 at 14:51, olduns said:

anyone else started having the Automated Tax Fraud one yet, if you don't press one then you'll be going to Court/jail etc

no, but the other day (working from home) i did pick up to a robot lady saying

This is an automated call from Your Internet Provider. We have noticed illegal activity on your internet account and Your Internet Provider will be disconnecting your internet account in 48 hours. to stop this, please press 1 to speak to one of our Internet Provider representatives.

not once did it actually say who my internet provider was.

and in terms of "wrong numbers" for previous owners. We have previously come home to answerphone messages saying "this is XYZ hospital with a message for Mr <not me> to call back about his appointment"

Edited by Wet Kipper

I get them regularly as well. They're using some tech to spoof numbers so they look like they are coming form all sorts of exchanges.

The ones I get are robots. It might be a female voice but it's recorded with gaps for you to speak. No intelligence, if you talk nonsense it keeps going.

These are no fun since you can't tell a stupid story to them about how you died in a terrible accient with a lorry load of sex toys or some other extreme tale.

I told one to F off once and put the phone down. They rang back and told me to F off several times and hung up.🥵

We are registered with the TPS but over the last 4-5 years these calls are increasing but there could be a reason......

One particular incident I ended up in A&E it was absolutely nothing to do with a motoring accident, I fell over at a theme park injuring my head, shoulder and arm. It was best thought I should go to the hospital to get checked over and patched up.
I must have sat in the treatment room nigh on 20 mins answering question after question whilst the nurse/doctor input the details into the computer. I had blood coming from various parts of my body which didn't matter until they'd got all the answers they wanted.

It was around 7 days after I started getting phone calls (never had before) relating to accident claims, it was obviously all those questions I'd answered at the hospital that someone had got hold of.

I visited the my GP around 8 weeks ago, I kept getting a seepage from one ear and a slight loss of hearing. I've never, ever had ear problems before and it was diagnosed as an infection, two weeks later and it was all ok after he told me to insert drops in there for a while.
Shortly after I got a phone call asking if I've suffered any hearing loss due to working in a noisy environment, strange that. I've been retired 6 years.

Missus had an accident last year, broken ankle, thankfully we haven't had any phone calls about that.

Edited by MickA

2 hours ago, MickA said:

I told one to F off once and put the phone down. They rang back and told me to F off several times and hung up.🥵

We are registered with the TPS but over the last 4-5 years these calls are increasing but there could be a reason......

One particular incident I ended up in A&E it was absolutely nothing to do with a motoring accident, I fell over at a theme park injuring my head, shoulder and arm. It was best thought I should go to the hospital to get checked over and patched up.
I must have sat in the treatment room nigh on 20 mins answering question after question whilst the nurse/doctor input the details into the computer. I had blood coming from various parts of my body which didn't matter until they'd got all the answers they wanted.

It was around 7 days after I started getting phone calls (never had before) relating to accident claims, it was obviously all those questions I'd answered at the hospital that someone had got hold of.

I visited the my GP around 8 weeks ago, I kept getting a seepage from one ear and a slight loss of hearing. I've never, ever had ear problems before and it was diagnosed as an infection, two weeks later and it was all ok after he told me to insert drops in there for a while.
Shortly after I got a phone call asking if I've suffered any hearing loss due to working in a noisy environment, strange that. I've been retired 6 years.

Missus had an accident last year, broken ankle, thankfully we haven't had any phone calls about that.

Mick- certainly confirms my suspicions. I'm diabetic and annually I get requests from local bodies to have retinal checks done. Recently I've had opticians ( with no NHS CONNECTIONS ) e mail me to have tests done. At last request, I asked for their source of information, and suggested that this request was a breach of confidentially. Total rejection, but the e mails have stopped.

• Thanks 1

^^^ Another one I'd forgotten about. My daughter had a bump in her car, she logged it with her insurance comp and had the car repaired. Very shortly after this she had calls about personal injury claims. She doesn't live with us but I put my name down on her insurance as a named driver (it's comes in cheaper for her) of course I had to put my address and telephone number too on the proposal. Guess what, in the same week she had the injury claim call I had one too.

Edited by MickA

A few years ago a cars handbrake failed in a sloping car park and it rolled gently into mine. There was nobody in either car at the time. I found the other cars "driver" and my damage, a new rear bumper, was paid for by their insurance company.  Since then I have had telephone calls saying that they have information that I had been involved in an accident but when pressed they had no details at all not even a date or place. As I had some time one day I said that I had been involved in an accident and I was passed from the minion to a senior partner.  They spouted on about how they could help me get compensation but they went very cold when they learnt that there was nobody in either car at the time. Still it gave me some fun whilst I was drinking my coffee.

Liger - make sure that your insurance co knows and accepts that it was a no claim accident. I had one in June -van hit my front wing ( my car parked on road ,empty) . other driver held his hands up and paid privately . My insurance underwriters accepted that it was a no fault accident and no blame etc attached to me. Come renewal time, my premiums went up ( Insurers say it was a general rise ), but I renewed through another broker with same company , and when I mentioned the no fault bit, premium went up a few ££ .( Still a lot cheaper than the renewal).

They all sell details on.

Police, insurance companies, recovery firms, hire car companies all of em.

But tbh  most of the calls you get are just robot diallers. They're not based on your details being passed on (other than the phone company selling numbers) it's just a volume thing. They're dialling millions of numbers a day.

• Like 1