Where to get OBD11

So, various threads conclude that:

OBD11 does 90% of what vcds does and is way cheaper, so fine for most people.

If you want OBD11, just get the device and then pay for the pro upgrade in the app.

My question is, where do people buy the device in the he UK?  I'm seeing various prices around and want to make sure I'm getting the right thing.

There's also different hardware as far as I can see.

This is where I'm confused - 

So, on their website it's under £35.  https://obdeleven.com/en/home/10-obdeleven-device-0725423005103.html?SubmitCurrency=1&id_currency=4

It clearly says there it's available on amazon though.

Search on amazon and it's £90

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OBDeleven-Generation-Professional-Bluetooth-Diagnostic/dp/B07HCGJ8ST/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=obd+eleven&qid=1575464173&s=automotive&sr=1-2

Look on ebay and they are £100.

I can't work out if it's the same thing with massive markup or there's a difference.

Also what the difference between first gen and next gen device?   

£35 sounds way more appealing than £100+

I think the first gen is not compatible with iOS.  Whichever way you go I would recommend getting the pro code.  The credits are for the included 'apps' within the app and are not great for proper coding.  For that you need the pro unlock but wont cost you any more.  if you keep using the credits you will run out soon enough and then need to spend out on more.  May as well just spend on the code.

£56 for the original + pro code vs £87 for the new one.  Winter offer on the new one gives you a hat and mug.  Up to you whether its worth £21 extra.

If you want to use OBD11, you *must* buy their dongle. That is the bit that costs £35 from their site.

The Amazon version includes the software - on their website it shows me 61.21 (don't remember if that was € or £), but that's where the £89 comes from. Marked up. 

Buy direct. It's coming from Latvia anyway. 

If you want a cheaper alternative, Carista is almost as capable, I understand, but I personally use Carport with a physical cable on a laptop.

- Bret

I bought the next gen one in the Black Friday sale - which was basically the ultimate for the price of the pro version plus an extra 500 credits

Took me a while to figure out that you have to register twice - I'd registered on the website to order it, but the app wasn't accepting my login. You have to register again on the device with the same email address, then it links up and assigns your licence and credits automatically.

I've used the 'apps' to turn on High Beam assist, which was pretty easy, but I might have a look at coding for other stuff when I get around to it.

Looks about right. When I got mine last year the pack bit was called pro pack not pro license. I see the Gen 2 device but dont know exactly what that does over the orginal to justify the higher price. I just bought mine to turn on stuff like the HBA,cornering fogs,refuel quantity,seat belt warning off,rear lights on with DRL's etc. Only thing I turned back off was the TSR. 

Edited by hatchy

It's OK. VCDS it is not.

VCDS is better, but has a far less user friendly interface, whereas OBD11 is far more polished in that respect.

VCDS aka ROSS-TECH need to raise their game when it comes to user friendliness, because it's current interface now looks like something out of the ark, especially considering the cost of it. 

Yes. You can long code with the PRO pack on OBDEleven and I tend to reach for this before VCDS. I invested in VCDS and I rarely use it, I always have my OBDEleven dongle in the car and my spare Android phone so it’s very handy to have even alongside VCDS. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I hace installed ODBEleven to see what it can do, used my VIN to lookup my car and hey presto its there with all the mods I can do.

Although some of the mods are not that intuitive in what they do, this means I would need to credits to enable them and then use credits to revert them.

Most of the mods are enabled on the VRS 245, so does ODB Eleven do anything else?

Edited by HotRod

A lot of the items on there you really should NOT touch unless you're a guru like Sasha or a technician, who really know what they're up to and what the consequences are for tweaking them, some of them require multiple options to be altered to get things to/make work.

That's why if I change anything I make a physical note of what I am looking at the existing setting and what settings are available to me. I also don't alter anything unless I've got a detailed list of instructions to follow.

That way you will generally stop yourself from making a potentially expensive mistakes. 

There's a few I'd like to have working but they're "Not available" either online or offline and probably for a very good reason.

The one I'd like to activate at the moment is the time one, which offers you time sync via: GPS, radio station, manual (Source for synchronisation of time, IIRC)

Also there's a GPS Speed setting, which I think would be most useful for accurate speedometer readings, not available. 

One that puzzles me is that there's a couple that say about TPMS (in long coding) and tyre pressure but they're not active, I thought that they would be..

Edited by TheWanderer

On 30/12/2019 at 20:07, HotRod said:

Most of the mods are enabled on the VRS 245, so does ODB Eleven do anything else?

No live data?

Those on the ''Gauges'' sector don't help at all?

There are quite a few things no enabled, but you need the security code to get them activated and whilst some of the more recognized codes work, quiet a few don't. 

I'm not sure what will happen if you accidentally input the wrong security code(s) multiple times. Will it perform a temporary or (worst case scenario permanent) lockout? 

If it asks me for a security code then I leave it alone, I don't want a big bill for my own stupidity. 

2 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

There are quite a few things no enabled, but you need the security code to get them activated and whilst some of the more recognized codes work, quiet a few don't. 

I'm not sure what will happen if you accidentally input the wrong security code(s) multiple times. Will it perform a temporary or (worst case scenario permanent) lockout? 

If it asks me for a security code then I leave it alone, I don't want a big bill for my own stupidity. 

I understand the risk,personally i would dare to change anything.

I already have bought it (since ELM327 devices are ''No Go'' for Felicia) and i am waiting to arrive

then i will try it but only for monitoring some things.