Living With A Sportline Plus 272 Hatch

3 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Simple answer no because my previous car went stage 1 at 7,000 miles (this one 6,400 miles) then stage 2 at 14,500 miles and the computer asked for the first service at 18,500 miles which was done at the supplying dealer with not even a single comment regarding the new exhaust, intercooler and cone filter replacing the standard air box.:whew:

I have always been of the belief that fresh oil annually or every 10k miles, whichever comes first, is the best way to look after an engine.

if I had mapped a car, I would definitely stick to that regime.  

Have never understood the long-life service schedules.  Can’t see how anyone other than a person who has leased for 2 years (and can’t be bothered to get their car serviced) benefits.  

• Like 1

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 18:11, athol said:

That's some decent mpg Shy, for comparison my 280 is doing around 29mpg avg over approx 3000 miles  in 5 months. My commute to work is only 10 miles each way, in mixed speed zones, with lots of lights, junctions and roundabouts. I've only done one half decent steady run in the car and from memory I think it was 35-37mpg.... 

I do fact a remap though after seeing the bhp yours Is doing... 

My commute is 10 miles each way too, and since my low torque remap to 350 brake, i'm averaging 28mpg.

Towing my caravan this weekend it dropped to 22.8 mpg.

On a long run without the caravan, I'm getting 35mpg. :)

• Like 1

Decided to do 2 launches today despite the soaking wet roads what a giggle TC light flashing away in 1st and 2nd gear just to prove it actually works. Colleague said the car sits down at the back as the power and torque is transferred to the rear axle and he said it sounded good very similar to a Golf R from the outside. He said it looked very fast after comparing his 138bhp Audi A3 Sportback (2012).

13 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

he said it sounded good very similar to a Golf R from the outside. He said it looked very fast after comparing his 138bhp Audi A3 Sportback (2012).

That’s a surprise, I thought how quiet the Superb is in comparison even to a 245 PP, which has a nice burble. SMWBO can’t hear it on start up, unlike the Golf. 

Quick update 52 days into ownership and noticed it is 288 days or 9,400 miles until the first service and just about to go over 7,000 miles so that first free service should be around 16,400 miles and probably late November 2020. Managed to do 40mpg for the first time since the remap on the 4th February 2 weeks ago. From a rounabout to a bridge half a mile up the dual carriageway it is going 6mph faster than my previous 336bhp Octavia so no dropping off in acceleration compared to a very quick Octavia.:notme:

7 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Quick update 52 days into ownership and noticed it is 288 days or 9,400 miles until the first service and just about to go over 7,000 miles so that first free service should be around 16,400 miles and probably late November 2020. Managed to do 40mpg for the first time since the remap on the 4th February 2 weeks ago. From a rounabout to a bridge half a mile up the dual carriageway it is going 6mph faster than my previous 336bhp Octavia so no dropping off in acceleration compared to a very quick Octavia.:notme:

It got to be quicker than a FWD Octavia for sure with all that lovely traction. :)

Slightly selfish moment while I reflect on exactly 2 years since I joined the Briskoda community despite being a Skoda owner for 15 years including Fabia's, Spaceback, Karoq, Octavia's and Superb's of course. In my first 12 months on here, my first experience of any social media forum (still not on faceache or twitsR-US) I racked up 965 points winning the day (most popular content in a day) 12 times. Year 2 was more successful landing a further 2,324 points with another 70 (WTD) under my Brisky belt. Low points were picking up warning points and even a couple of bans. High points were a couple of track days in my previous modified Octavia but I look back on it's purchase with mixed emotions knowing now how good and easy to tune my Superb 272 is. It is quiet (perfect for my mainly motorway commute) and supremely comfortable but astonishes with it's traction and performance when called upon. Economy has been better than I expected by about 4-5mpg and an extra 50-60 miles per tank. At a time when the cost of using premium fuel such as Tesco Momentum is falling this has also been a bonus and I am finding the extra cost compared to my lighter less powerful Vrs245 is only about £13 per 1,000 miles. Later today I will be collecting my refurbished replica Audi RS6 alloys hopefully powder coated silver and will post photo's before fitting them for the 6 summer months (April-September) at which point I will repaint my silver calipers a brighter shade to encourage me to clean them as I currently ignore them when cleaning the standard Vega alloys.:thumbup:Thanks for all the positive comments over the last 2 years and be assured any negative feedback will promote you to join the 10 people currently on my naughty list (ignored list).:@

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dunc69 said:

Nice wheels.  I do prefer powder coat rather than diamond cut.  Easier to refurb and better-looking! 

Yeah when I bought them 18 months ago I was attracted by the bling factor (shiny) yet after just one winter the white worm had appeared under the clear lacquer and decided that silver which nearly always looks good was the way to go. Just need some dry weather in about 5-6 weeks time now.

2 hours ago, newbie69 said:

I do hope you're not putting those wheels with the Audi center caps on?? :sweat:

Of course. Why not? Makes me feel special having Audi wheels on my Golf R engined Skoda. Think I might be a little confused with all those VW parts in the engine bay. Anyway most importantly Mickey Mouse likes them. Are you feeling a little jealous with your JB4 underpowered 272?

Edited by shyVRS245
MISSING WORD
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Of course. Why not? Makes me feel special having Audi wheels on my Golf R engined Skoda. Think I might be a little confused with all those VW parts in the engine bay. Anyway most importantly Mickey Mouse likes them. Are you feeling a little jealous with your JB4 underpowered 272?

Alas! Just when the therapy was (slowly) providing some improvement to your social behavior, my deepest condolences!

Small update from me on my underpowered 272 😂(show off shy ha). I am averaging about 32 mpg but I admit my foot is slightly on the heavy side. I travel from Scotland to Manchester a lot and I can now get about 40 mpg on that journey. The car is fantastic and the best I have ever owned. A few wee annoying things tho. I usually drive in eco mode and enjoy using the coasting function but I’ve noticed that when I turn the car off and start it again, the mode is still in eco but I lose the coasting function meaning I need to go in and select again. Is this the same with you guys.

i also find the Apple car play annoying. I listen to lots of music and when starting the car up and connect my phone to use Spotify when I go to select some music it rarely works and I get a message saying can not play. I then manually select my music and it works fine. Again does this happen with anyone?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bigmeg said:

Small update from me on my underpowered 272 😂(show off shy ha). I am averaging about 32 mpg but I admit my foot is slightly on the heavy side. I travel from Scotland to Manchester a lot and I can now get about 40 mpg on that journey. The car is fantastic and the best I have ever owned. A few wee annoying things tho. I usually drive in eco mode and enjoy using the coasting function but I’ve noticed that when I turn the car off and start it again, the mode is still in eco but I lose the coasting function meaning I need to go in and select again. Is this the same with you guys.

i also find the Apple car play annoying. I listen to lots of music and when starting the car up and connect my phone to use Spotify when I go to select some music it rarely works and I get a message saying can not play. I then manually select my music and it works fine. Again does this happen with anyone?

I listen to Planet Rock on the DAB radio but every time I switch off even just getting fuel, mode goes to normal so have to reset to Eco usually because I also like the coasting function. Believe this was introduced after September 2018 to fall inline with the new WLTP emissions testing including the fitment of GPF exhaust filters to save the Planet.

Quick update on day 57 now completed 2,300 miles and currently on the 5th tank of fuel (404 miles driven with an indicated 145 miles left showing quarter of a tank). Done 800 miles since the remap and been enjoying the extra performance and despite poor weather and roadworks at either end of my commute this tank is showing around 36mpg so not bad. Will update in a few days when I fill up.:)

• Thanks 1

Collected my 272 on the weekend and love it, the launch control is amazing, defo needs more in gear power so looking to remap and bought a racechip S to try, I would normally go full ecu map but worried about the impact upon warranty and flagging a TD1 code,  has anyone tried the racechip s on the 272.

87543653_793185854518963_6525390920014102528_n.jpg

• Like 3

On 24/02/2020 at 19:44, stevessub said:

Collected my 272 on the weekend and love it, the launch control is amazing, defo needs more in gear power so looking to remap and bought a racechip S to try, I would normally go full ecu map but worried about the impact upon warranty and flagging a TD1 code,  has anyone tried the racechip s on the 272.

Racechip has one of the worst reputations with the cars I'm familiar with. Questionable gains and issues occasionally. It's rather limited/basic in the way it works as you can see from the sensors it intercepts which is never good with such complex ECU's of today's cars. In terms of piggybacks I would only trust the JB4 (as I have done) simply because it's been tested on a huge number of MQB cars around the world with the exact same gen3 2.0 TSI for several years now, with reliable performance.

PS. There are generic 280/227/tuning threads where your post could get the desired attention by the way. Following some other longtime members' example I stopped frequenting this particular thread which servers more as an "ego boost" for the OP unfortunately... :worried:

For example: 

Or

Edited by newbie69
  • Like 1