Absolute quietest tyres for 18inch wheels?

3 hours ago, caprixpack said:

I'm running Michelin pilot sport 4 on my st in the same size on a y speed rating, I've found them to be relatively quiet, or at least quieter than the pirelli p zero tyres it came with. 

+1 👍

I couldn't wait to wear out the Bridgestone's my vRS came with.  PS4's were a huge improvement, all round.  I also had a set of Avon ZV7's, which were also good and quieter than the Potenza's.

Gaz

2 hours ago, rossinio said:

What did you get done? How do you rate it?

Additional sound insulation of whole car..

Doors,floor,wheel arches, trunk...

It is quiter then A6 ;)

U notice difference  right away... worth every penny.

I have whole project here u can findet under my name...

Got pilot sport 4s on mine, I can't say I notice the road noise.

That doesn't mean to say you'd find them good, I get the impression different people have vastly different expectations and desires.

I've driven a car for years that you  have to raise your voice a fair bit to talk at motorway speeds, yet I considered it absolutely fine, so to me the Octavia is whisper quiet.

On 16/01/2020 at 18:43, Kental said:

just checked and 225/40 R18 Y (92) are available in Cross Climate+

Ive recently gone from AS3s to GY CC+ all-round on my VRS and they're absolutely fantastic. I'm running them at 2.7bar can't really complain about interior noise. They seem a lot more reassuring and wet grip seems great.

Costco sometimes have offers on them, got two rears fitted in June with a load off (about £80pc) but had to go to National tyres last month for the fronts. 

Edited by courty
VRS missing

Just now, courty said:

Ive recently gone from AS3s to GY CC+ all-round on my VRS and they're absolutely fantastic. I'm running them at 2.7bar can't really complain about interior noise. They seem a lot more reassuring and wet grip seems great.

Costco sometimes have offers on them, got two rears fitted in June with a load off (about £80pc) but had to go to National tyres last month for the fronts. 

How does the noise compare between them? Apparently the 5s are nice but is interesting that cross climates are more reassuring.

3 minutes ago, rossinio said:

How does the noise compare between them? Apparently the 5s are nice but is interesting that cross climates are more reassuring.

I'd say they're quieter, the GY were great tyres and lasted for a good 20ish K. They were echoey on certain types of asphalt, usually on the weird bits of odd coloured resurfaced motorway at 70mph. Haven't really had the same drone appear with the CCs. Granted they're 6-8mm of tread...

I've only gone to cross climates as I needed new tyres and the reviews that people were giving them on here and online tempted me -  plus the fact they're all season (peace of mind n all). 

Unfortunately Skoda didn't dound proof the Octavia very well. When I owned one I put on Yokohama es32 which made a huge difference.  I also insulated the boot area and that helped.  I now drive a 3 series which seems to be much better sound proofed.

• 4 months later...

Rotated the tyres and saw that the rears (now at the front) had pretty bad uneven wear after ~6k miles so I will be doing a full alignment when I change the tyres, hopefully on a hunter machine. 

Still no closer to choosing a quiet tyre, latest tyrereviews video has Goodyear asymmetric 5 as a good choice still for 18" so leaning towards that or the crossclimates. As5 are very reasonably priced on blackcircles atm.

IMG_20200423_132921.jpg

My Goodyear Asy 5s are very quiet. My wife always comments how quiet my car is compared to her Mini Cooper S Highgate. In fairness it is very quiet and relaxing...till my 16 month old daughter wakes up and lets us know 🤣

8 hours ago, rossinio said:

That's v interesting, what did you have before, was it potenza s001? Did you notice a real difference?

When I got the car in December 19, it was fitted with worn Goodyear Asy3 and some budget tyres on the rear.

I find, whilst the tyres may play a role in the noise, it's ultimately the road surface which determines the sound. They resurfaced our top road with proper tarmac rather than that chipping guff (which was the reason they were resurfacing it because that had disintegrated) and it's almost silent driving over it. The main sound is the engine noise.

• 4 weeks later...

Bit the bullet and got Goodyear Asymmetric 5s fitted yesterday for £333 from black circles fitted at a local garage. Much much better than awful Potenzas. Did a full alignment on all 4 corners (£100), toe was well out on both front and rear and steering angle was out a lot as well. Next test is on bad roads nearby and at motorway speeds. Recommended..

4 hours ago, rossinio said:

Bit the bullet and got Goodyear Asymmetric 5s fitted yesterday for £333 from black circles fitted at a local garage. Much much better than awful Potenzas. Did a full alignment on all 4 corners (£100), toe was well out on both front and rear and steering angle was out a lot as well. Next test is on bad roads nearby and at motorway speeds. Recommended..

You will find after a few hundred miles once they are bed in. The grip goes to another level.

• Like 2

On 04/07/2020 at 22:10, themanwithnoaim said:

Gonna throw Michelin Cross Climates in the mix, very quiet & all year around grip even in hot weather

Plus 1 for this comment.

Had Cross Climate + fitted at the beginning of December last year and they’ve been fantastic in all conditions so far...would happily fit them again.

Car came fitted with Bridgestone Potenza S001 which were noisy and uncomfortable...replaced with Bridgestone A005 All Weather, which were much better, and great until worn...so far the Michelin CrossClimate + have been the pick of the bunch.

I always thought the Bridgestone Potenza was a hard tyre and very noisy. Went to Conti Premium Contact which seemed better. But it is a very subjective thing. 

The Michelin Crossclimates fitted to my Superb II have been way quieter than the original Continental summer tyres fitted to it. They also perform well - especially when "very" wet