New Landrover Defender are you up for one?

vrskeith

Not very nice at the back, I hate the silver bumper panels that all manufacturers add to their 4x4`s.

I priced up a 110 Defender with the 200+ bhp diesel engine and it would cost approx £75k 🤯 crazy money.

i havnt driven the ranger,  but there was one floating around in work as a sample of whats being rumoured to to replace our transit fleet next year. seems they are much cheaper to lease than our 7 seat crew cab transits, but as i pointed out..  where do the other 2 guys go? and where does everything bigger than a hand tool go in the back?

i just got one of those looks that says " dont worry, that hasnt been thought of by management yet, and itll be too late before they do, even though thats what everybody has said"

most of the lads that took it for a drive said the same - its not very comfortable, and would probably cripple you on a long drive. 

i would love one, in a countryboy sort of way, but it would have to be a raptor :D and then i look at prices...

and then i think, id rather live with a more comfortable hilux.

• Like 1

I had the 3.2 - 6 speed and thought it would be as comfortable as a normal 4x4, it wasn`t. The longest I drove it was 100 miles and I was knackered.

The Hilux while not as powerful was like a pair of old slippers. It did everything I needed and it was lazy and comfortable. Also i never got stuck off road.

The bed in the back of any pickup is great for feed and hay but nothing long unless you can stick out the back. The back seats are crap and in my case only used for the dogs.

My wee yeti goes off road and will do for now but my plan is to buy a 100 or 200 series Land Cruiser with a V8 diesel, not because i need it but because I like big trucks. 🙂

IMG_3253.jpg

Edited by davedetecting
Add picture
  • Like 1

On 10/06/2020 at 16:08, Aspman said:

I dunno the defender is so far off the modern norm that I think it looks good.

The Toyota does look pretty bland. They used to be interesting for their hugeness, but I think every other car has grown so much now that the LC just looks biggish now.

It depends where you are. Sat in a factory spec F150 4x4 in traffic, you can see clean over the roof of Land Cruisers RangeRovers and Q7s. They all look so little 😉

9 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

It depends where you are. Sat in a factory spec F150 4x4 in traffic, you can see clean over the roof of Land Cruisers RangeRovers and Q7s. They all look so little 😉

I am in Northern Ireland and full fat RR and Land Cruisers are still very big, an F150 would cause a roadblock on some of our roads 🙂.

The LC maybe bland but it is reliable, unlike most Land Rovers,................

10 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

Lol yeah the American trucks are absolutely massive.

I saw a new UK Raptor in a car park not that long ago, it looked huge, but it's tiny up next to an F150 or 250.

I really like the new UK Raptor btw, but no way I'm paying out £50k on a Ford pickup with a wee derv motor and not the 400hp V8 on the real deal.

10 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

A colleague of mine who lives in Dallas has been complaining that his F150 is too small to tow his boat, so he's swapping it for an F350 Super Duty 🥴

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

A colleague of mine who lives in Dallas has been complaining that his F150 is too small to tow his boat, so he's swapping it for an F350 Super Duty 🥴

Perhaps he should buy the V10 engined VW Touareg which once pulled a Boeing 747. Fifth Gear filmed it 21st August 2014.

Edited by shyVRS245
More info
  • Like 1

I used to own a Land Rover Lightweight like this. i bought it in Manchester and drove / had towed back to Belfast.

Mine had the original petrol engine.

Our daughter who lives in the USA was driving a GMC dual wheel pickup like the one attached.

IMG_3086.jpg

2020-06-18_10-21-31.jpg

14 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Perhaps he should buy the V10 engined VW Toureg which once pulled a Boeing 747.

V10 Toureg has a towing apacity of (approx) 3.5T

F250 Powerstroke derv = 8T

I guess if the Toureg can tow a 747 the F250 can tow the airport behind it.

I don't think you can even import an F250 into the UK, I think they're too big

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

Screenshot 2020-06-18 at 09.20.13.jpg

DSCN1522.JPG

DSCN1526.JPG

DSCN1519.JPG

DSCN1520.JPG

That's nasty George. Is that a for sale sign in the window as well?

We had a great day at the Harley festival in Brechin a few years back. I don't even like Harleys

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Aspman said:

V10 Toureg has a towing apacity of (approx) 3.5T

F250 Powerstroke derv = 8T

I guess if the Toureg can tow a 747 the F250 can tow the airport behind it.

I don't think you can even import an F250 into the UK, I think they're too big

Just watched the video on You Tube and the Boeing weighed 155 tonnes and they added 4.3 tonne of ballast inside the 750nm diesel and doubled the tyre pressures and at just 1,600rpm it pulled the 747 upto 5kph (3mph).

• Like 1

21 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

In our street today a tough looking Ranger and new Defender. I would buy the Ranger if I retire to Kenya.

9559D115-846F-4777-BA62-9DE41973AE50.jpeg

9214F21D-8545-44F6-AF13-B4B770949401.jpeg

Street or pavement?

They would both recieve punctured tyres in my street in the UK.

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

Just watched the video on You Tube and the Boeing weighed 155 tonnes and they added 4.3 tonne of ballast inside the 750nm diesel and doubled the tyre pressures and at just 1,600rpm it pulled the 747 upto 5kph (3mph).

Makes you wonder how the V12 TDI Q7 would do.

On 17/02/2020 at 12:21, vrskeith said:

Shaken & Stirred 

Lets hope that they get the airbag & inertia fuel cut off sensors working for the production models.

• Like 1

On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 13:00, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@davedetecting

They are not stupid, they are not advertising the money they have. 

Like some in Scotland, they know the price of everything and the value, and do not make it easy for the HMRC.

?

Are there no Farmers around where you go that are also Owners of Energy Companies as well as actually farming and owning or leasing Teslas, or ones paid not to farm for the sake of conservation?

There were plenty that did well out of the Energy Grant Scheme in NI. 

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38301428

The farmers that I know in Northern Ireland certainly aren't making pots of money, or in the market for Teslas or high end premium 4x4's...   most tend to run a reliable pick-up for workhorse duties and something like a Kia Sportage for family duties - so they aren't spending new Defender money on either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Street or pavement?

They would both recieve punctured tyres in my street in the UK.

Indeed - stereotypical posh 4x4 parking taking place there that deserves to be reported as it's a ticketable offence!

As an aside the backend of that Defender is pretty fugly...

• Groan 1