Complimentary Wash with Service

Sorry if this is a bit long winded. I just want a rant to get something off my chest.

I took my car for its first service today with mixed results. There was a warm welcome and everything was explained and I was even given a complimentary antibacterial air-conditioning treatment. I picked up the car in the afternoon, which smelt nice and fresh after the antibacterial treatment and freshner. When I got home, however, I was less than pleased when I got out of the car and noticed that the wash had not been done very well. Worse of all large areas of the body panels were covered in swirl marks, with some minor scratches.

I have always done my own car wash as I don't have much faith in hand car wash establishments and have always been meticulous in the process; I thought that with a dealership I would be ok.

I feel it would be a waste of time to complain as I wouldn't be able to prove that the marks were not already present, though I'm 100% sure they were done today. I've learnt my lesson though and will not take advantage of the complementary car wash again.

That said I had my previous car for 8 years and I never encountered any problems, though this was with a different dealership.

• Sad 1

Might I suggest that you consider reassessing your priorities at this time?

I sympathise, Sosban.  My (otherwise excellent) dealer sends cars to the local handwash after service and I'm reasonably sure all three of my Skodas have been damaged by this establishment.  As with you, I felt it would be a waste of time to complain as I was unable to prove the damage was not already present.  Nowadays I instruct my dealer to not send my car for washing - and I explain my reasons for doing so.

33 minutes ago, Phasio said:

How about you get out and go to off-topic if youre not interested in helping? 

I get the message, but I cannot get out as have been living in lock down confinement for a week now (actually 3 months for me but thats another story) something which you will have to come to terms with in 37 minutes time.

I think at that point or when you lose a loved one to the virus you will realise that micro scratches in your paintwork are not such a priority.

BTW what help were you seeking?

I will now heed your wishes, good luck with the confinement and I hope you and your loved ones escape unscathed.

Edited by J.R.

I suppose unless you know the car cleaning process at the dealers, it’s safer just to say your car shouldn’t be washed by them. A post it note on the dashboard maybe a useful reminder to the staff. Unfortunately a lot of people won’t even know what swirl marks are and wonder what you’re talking about if you point them out. 🙁

The swirl marks will be removable, albeit with a lot of work, so I guess when you fail to get an admission of guilt by the dealer, and I think you will, you could rectify yourself, annoying though that will be.  

A least you can console yourself that you’ve given everyone a reminder and as I have a service soon, I thank you! 🙏

2 hours ago, Sosban said:

I feel it would be a waste of time to complain as I wouldn't be able to prove that the marks were not already present, though I'm 100% sure they were done today. I've learnt my lesson though and will not take advantage of the complimentary car wash again.

On the contrary, if you don't tell them you're not happy they'll never improve.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I get the message, but I cannot get out as have been living in lock down confinement for a week now (actually 3 months for me but thats another story) something which you will have to come to terms with in 37 minutes time.

I think at that point or when you lose a loved one to the virus you will realise that micro scratches in your paintwork are not such a priority.

BTW what help were you seeking?

I will now heed your wishes, good luck with the confinement and I hope you and your loved ones escape unscathed.

Im not OP but id be annoyed to get shut down by such a reply, particularly on a car forum. By your logic nothing besides corona is important. 

Given the fact that as of 15 minutes ago we're almost all housebound, online forums like Briskoda will end up being one of very few channels of communication with the outside world we have to enjoy.

So, yes, reading about and offering advice on Kodiaq related questions are of interest to me and therefore a priority.

• Like 1

You need to invest in a dashcam.

This was taken BEFORE any work was conducted on my vehicle.

Despite leaving a laminated A4 sign in the vehicle  DO NOT WASH MY VEHICLE!

Despite it being on their records not to wash my vehicle.

Their response to my complaint?

I could either accept a complimentary valet, or basically I could do one!

As for SUK's response....well after nearly six years, I'm not holding my breath!

image.png.9432288e0a8490f8253e307a80604819.png

My run of three Škodas have been serviced once a year over the last ten years, all but once at the same agent (All Electric Skoda in Kings Heath Birmingham).

Beautifully washed, dried, vacuumed, etc every time.  If they can do it, other agents can, and should.

14 hours ago, Sosban said:

I feel it would be a waste of time to complain as I wouldn't be able to prove that the marks were not already present, though I'm 100% sure they were done today. I've learnt my lesson though and will not take advantage of the complementary car wash again.

I clean and valet my cars before they go to the garage therefore there's no need to wash.

But just one point re: complaining - in future ( and this goes for everyone ), check your car BEFORE leaving the dealership and have issues sorted out there and then.

And in reply to whoever wrote you need to have higher priorities. In a way I agree, but not because of the current situation we live in. If we're simply talking about swirls in the paintwork and no damage, they'll be removed the next time I polish the car. Personally I wouldn't bother my backside. In fact I've got all the time in the world over the next three weeks to polish my car, I might even offer to do my neighbours cars too. :D

Penguins 5 life rules: 

1.  Don't eat yellow snow

2.  Don't trust men with beards

3.  Don't trust men who wear hats

4.  Especially don't trust hat wearing men with beards

5.  Never ever ever let a dealer clean your car

@J.R. - I concur 100%, this is small bait in comparison to the issues humanity is facing at present but give the OP a break.  We all need to do something to keep us occupied and when we can't visit and speak to friends and family, the normality of speaking all things cars/skoda on here can be some well needed 'social interaction' and respite from these troubling times.  Stay safe :thumbup:

Thanks to those who have commented, both positive and negative. I agree there are more important things happening today. It was a spur of the moment rant and after getting it off my chest I feel much better for it, and am now back to my usual calm self.

• Like 4

I too use All Electric Kings Heath and I do not let them wash my car.

Previously they have used the hand car wash down the road, don’t know if they still do.

These car washes tend to use lots of TFR (Traffic Film Remover) which will attack your callipers and chrome trim, strip off wax coatings, never mind how much they pay the people (different topic).

This is not altogether the issue though, another dealer in Birmingham ruined all the chrome trim on a company superb I had some years ago by spraying and leaving on in the sun a high concentration of TFR, it cost them circa £800 to fix. So it depends how much you trust the dealer, how they clean your car and how particular you are. You pay your money, you make your choice.

I suppose as a topic it pales into insignificance with what’s going on, but we need to keep ourselves occupied and in communication. Good luck and best wishes to everyone out there, keep safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I do not trust dealer car washers. They have a bucket full of dirty water with a guy who has to rip through a number of vehicles every day. I wash mine before it goes in and always request them not to wash it. Serves me two fold, they don't mess up the paint and I know if they have damaged it as it arrives perfect with them. OCD I appreciate but it works for me and unhelpful in retrospect for the OP post event.

• Like 1

i had this with my new Q7

i specifically told the dealer not to wash it - which was noted on the paperwork - however it was washed and clearly with a brilo pad. 

after weeks of back and forth Audi UK have authorised me to take it to a detailer for £550 worth of paint restoration treatment...

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

I make it a rule that I do not let anyone else, dealer or otherwise, wash my cars. I've seen first hand what their dirty clothes and brushes can do and want them no where near my car. 

even today, service day for me, I made it quite clear that I did not want the car washed and I'm happy to report that said car came back just as it went in. 

normally I'll give the car a good clean before it goes in so they aren't inclined to clean it anyway but today I didn't get the opportunity to do so.