Replacing Yeti

awfabia

Yes,  its Steel Grey, though in my picture it looks a shade or two browner than it is in the flesh.  Avoided the interstellar grey as being too dark and therefore showing the dirt more...though the piano black skirts on the higher spec Niros (matt black on base models) will show just as much dirt... they can't be avoided in any colour.  We just thought the Steel Grey was the most elegant-looking of what was on offer (just personal taste).  Saw most of the colours in the metal on various showroom models when choosing.  The car does look stunning...unfortunately not enough room in showroom to get good pics...will put that right when we get the car home.

As regards Cash/CarLoan/PCP we bought cash,  partly because owing to an investment maturity we had the cash available (might as well reinvest it in a car as put it into some bond earning next to no interest) ,  but also because we've never experienced PCP and can't get our heads round the maths. To the untrained mind it seems PCP deals are more suited to people who want to change their cars frequently... we intend to keep this for a good time.  (The present Yeti we've had for eight years from new...the longest we've ever kept a car for.  And we're keeping it as our second car.) This Niro is probably the last car we will ever buy as by the time it needs replacing we'll be old enough to be giving up driving altogether. 

We chose the PHEV  (plug-in hybrid) as it best suits our use: the electric range of nearly 40 miles is adequate for all our day to day trips,  and we have a home charging point,  so will almost never need to put petrol in it. But the hybrid side gives us all the range we will want for the occasional more distant day out and for holidays.  We could not take the range anxiety of an EV at our age!

We went for the top-of-the-range 4 spec mainly for the far superior fit and finish over the 2 and for a few bells and whistles like the memory/heated/ventilated/auto access enhanced electric seats  (the two of us have very different ideas about positional comfort for driving).  Most of the hi-tech wizardry we would prefer to be without... we are especially fearful that there will be a cacophony of warning and welcoming gongs and hooters,  and are hoping there will be some way of turning them off,  likewise some of the so-called safety features we'd rather be in control of ourselves, rather than the car taking over unexpectedly.  It will be a steep learning curve,  but we're hopeful that our favourable test-drive experiences will be borne out in real life.  Also went top-of-the-range because in the past we have economised (out of necessity)  and almost immediately regretted not having certain features.  This last time it's all there to be used if we want it,  or ignored if not.

Will report back in due course.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Llanigraham said:

Oops!! 
Sorry Stan, my apologies.
Now done 45k miles in the Niro and we are very happy with it. The gearbox is very similar to the DSG, just that it is called a DCT by Kia and they don't seem to have the problems that get reported about the DSG in VAG vehicles. Haven't had a good look at the new model yet but didn't think it was that much bigger than mine.
And there are plenty of toys on the 2!

EDIT
Buy it on a PCP and then pay it off within a month.

You're forgiven (on this one occasion) ... the new one is about 65mm longer and 15mm wider. It's 197mm longer than a Yeti. It looks a bit posher.

You'd think the T Roc would be a more obvious replacement given its similar footprint and having similar controls, transmission and general feel to what I've been used to. But I resent having to pay for a longer warranty and still have two years less than what Kia offers, and despite not having had trouble with the DSG (or at least I should say no trouble apart from the replacement clutch pack and change of transmission oil and software update all done under warranty)  ... it still seems a bit wrong to put my head in the lion's mouth an volunteer to have another VAG dry clutch DSG given that we know they could cost a fortune to fix out of warranty. If it was the wet one I might not be so concerned.

I shall look in to see what others have to say.

Ta.

Edited by oldstan

2 hours ago, Zarniwoop said:

Yes,  its Steel Grey, though in my picture it looks a shade or two browner than it is in the flesh.  Avoided the interstellar grey as being too dark and therefore showing the dirt more...though the piano black skirts on the higher spec Niros (matt black on base models) will show just as much dirt... they can't be avoided in any colour.  We just thought the Steel Grey was the most elegant-looking of what was on offer (just personal taste).  Saw most of the colours in the metal on various showroom models when choosing.  The car does look stunning...unfortunately not enough room in showroom to get good pics...will put that right when we get the car home.

As regards Cash/CarLoan/PCP we bought cash,  partly because owing to an investment maturity we had the cash available (might as well reinvest it in a car as put it into some bond earning next to no interest) ,  but also because we've never experienced PCP and can't get our heads round the maths. To the untrained mind it seems PCP deals are more suited to people who want to change their cars frequently... we intend to keep this for a good time.  (The present Yeti we've had for eight years from new...the longest we've ever kept a car for.  And we're keeping it as our second car.) This Niro is probably the last car we will ever buy as by the time it needs replacing we'll be old enough to be giving up driving altogether. 

We chose the PHEV  (plug-in hybrid) as it best suits our use: the electric range of nearly 40 miles is adequate for all our day to day trips,  and we have a home charging point,  so will almost never need to put petrol in it. But the hybrid side gives us all the range we will want for the occasional more distant day out and for holidays.  We could not take the range anxiety of an EV at our age!

We went for the top-of-the-range 4 spec mainly for the far superior fit and finish over the 2 and for a few bells and whistles like the memory/heated/ventilated/auto access enhanced electric seats  (the two of us have very different ideas about positional comfort for driving).  Most of the hi-tech wizardry we would prefer to be without... we are especially fearful that there will be a cacophony of warning and welcoming gongs and hooters,  and are hoping there will be some way of turning them off,  likewise some of the so-called safety features we'd rather be in control of ourselves, rather than the car taking over unexpectedly.  It will be a steep learning curve,  but we're hopeful that our favourable test-drive experiences will be borne out in real life.  Also went top-of-the-range because in the past we have economised (out of necessity)  and almost immediately regretted not having certain features.  This last time it's all there to be used if we want it,  or ignored if not.

Will report back in due course.

All received, understood and much appreciated.

You've raised some questions in my head but I'll wait until you've had it for a short time before quizzing you again.  Suffice to say I have much sympathy and empathy concerning much of what you've said. Much of your thinking resonates with yours truly.

Ta.

11 hours ago, oldstan said:

Thank you for the above, two, posts.

Yes, Titanium, I'd be very grateful to read your in depth thoughts.  Given that the thread is entitled "Replacing Yeti" and has had plenty other makes suggested I can't imagine any reason not to.

And I look forward to the further thoughts from Zarniwoop too.  (I'm guessing that's a Steel Grey one?)  Did you look at all the other colours in the flesh?  My choice would be Steel or Interstellar or Green - I haven't seen any of them for real yet.

Speaking only for myself I would have preferred the dimensions (the shorter length suits me better)  of the T Roc and I love the way the DSG drives ... but not the way it has failed some owners and the cost of fixing it out of warranty. I like the 7 year warranty, as opposed to a 3 year warranty. And I still haven't forgotten the VW diesel debacle.

I have conveniently placed dealers for servicing both the VW and the Kia. 

If you go by Drivethedeal pricing the higher discount on the T Roc means the 1.5 DSG Style T Roc costs much the same as a Kia Niro 2. 

The Kia's Hybrid engine would suit my short journeys better than the T Roc.

So it will be seen there are similarities between the Niro and the T Roc. hence my being interested in what others have to say.

Ta muchly.

EDIT ... I forgot to ask what finance was used (if I may ask such a personal question) ... cash versus PCP.  I'm too thick to be able to work out which would cost me the most after, say, 7 years of ownership.  I paid cash for the Yeti and, 12 years on, I can't imagine PCP would have done me any favours. But maybe things have changed.  I would be looking at paying DOUBLE for the new car compared to what I paid in 2011.  But have you seen the price of fish lately? 😀

On a like for like size basis the T-Cross is closest to the Yeti and has a high seating position. Present model is bleak inside but an updated version is due later this year. Suspect update will follow T-Roc update with much improved cabin quality. As far a DSG’s go the latest versions don’t have the problems of the early ones and you can always buy a 5 year warranty when you get the car. The 1.5 Tsi DSG is a quick, comfortable drive with plenty of power and little engine noise compared with the noisy vario box fitted to many Hybrids. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Titanium_Man said:

I’m not a fan of the ‘box myself. Feels more like an old-school auto box vs the modern DSG in the VAG’s.

Only had a short run in a DSG but I've found the DCT in the Niro very good.
(REST OF MY REPLIES ARE IN YOUR QUOTE BECAUSE OF THE STUPID WAY THIS FORUM WORKS)

12 hours ago, Titanium_Man said:

Does what it wants in manual mode and the engine very often will sit at 4k going up hills on motorways etc due to lack of grunt. Doesn’t make for a relaxing motorway journey if I am honest. I won’t put it in manual mode anymore as it’s so poo. 

YOU HAVE REALSIED THAT IN SPORT MODE IT WILL STILL CHANGES GEAR AS A NORMAL AUTO AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO CHANGE USING THE PADDLES OR SHIFTER?

WE REGULARLY DRIVE DOWN TO OUR DAUGHTER'S IN CORNWALL AND FIND IT QUITE RESTFUL AND JUST AS COMFORTABLE AS THE YETI. 

Fuel economy sucks on a run, too. Did Bristol to Cornwall the other week for work with cruise set at 72 and managed 43mpg! I’ve found that on a motorway run it switches to electric charge mode often as the battery isn’t big enough to cope and needs frequent recharging. Superb fuel economy driving around Bristol city, which is where this hybrid is best used. Easily get 70mpg around town. Overall economy (calculated) is 53mpg, 54 shown on the dash trip computer. 

BLIMEY, MINE IS MUCH BETTER THAN THAT, AND MINE IS A 2 AS WELL. 
I'VE NOW DONE 45K MILES IN MINE (SINCE JULY 2020) AND I KEEP A SPREADSHEET AND I'VE AVERAGED JUST UNDER 60 MPG OVER THAT TIME, INCLUDING ABOUT 1500+ MILES TOWING A CARAVAN, OFTEN DOWN TO CORNWALL. TOWING I GET 30 MPG. 
I TOOK A PATIENT UP TO LIVERPOOL ON THURSDAY AND MANAGED 65MPG.

Got plenty more to say about it and had considered leaving a review but didn’t think there would be any interest 😛 

GONE ON.

JREPLACED THE FRONT TYRES AT JUST OVER 32K AND THE REAR TYRES ARE STILL THE ORIGINALS BUT ALL 4 WILL NEED REPLACING SOON. ATLEAST THEY ARE THE SENSIBLE 16" ONES SO NOT SILLY LOW PROFILE EXPENSIVE THINGS!

Thanks for taking the trouble,XPM.

Having, regrettably, discounted the Yaris Cross due to the problems getting out of it my mind has returned to the VAG offerings and the Kia Niro.

As mentioned, the Niro is bigger than the T Roc, T Cross, Seat Arona but all of those do fit in the garage.

I haven't seen much mention of the Skoda Kamiq though.  Again it would have the 7 speed dry DSG but if you're saying they made it more durable then that's encouraging (and, yes, I would go for an extended warranty).  Incidentally, VW have apparently (according to my local dealer) done away with the extra two year extended warranty that you could buy during purchase of a new VW and  you can't take one out from new any longer - you have to wait until the 3 yr warranty expires then take out a monthly scheme which covers warranty, service and breakdown and  (for a T Roc for example) it currently costs £30 a month).

A Kamiq is 4241 long by 1793 wide by 1553 high.  The footprint is nigh on identical to a Yeti but it's the height (or lack of it) which they say lessens the appeal if you wanted something with a more commanding driving  height.  It's a tad longer than the T Cross and Arona but almost the same length as a T Roc. It's not as expensive as the Kia or the T Roc. It comes in one litre three cylinder (with two power output options plus a 1.5 four cylinder DSG or manual is available.  DSG and manual is also available on the higher output one litre.

Do we think VW have sorted the problems that they had with the 1.5 4 cylinder engine ????  If they genuinely have made the DSG more dependable and genuinely have stopped the 1.5 from kangarooing then their appeal is increased.  I reiterate ... my DSG has been fine since they fixed it under warranty - and it's now 12 years old and has done 40,00 miles,  but quite a few others haven't been.  If I knew I could get any DSG repair or replacement done at reasonable cost then it wouldn't be so bad, but that clearly isn't the case and we're talking thousands of pounds.

Edited by oldstan
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, oldstan said:

Thanks for taking the trouble,XPM.

Having, regrettably, discounted the Yaris Cross due to the problems getting out of it my mind has returned to the VAG offerings and the Kia Niro.

As mentioned, the Niro is bigger than the T Roc, T Cross, Seat Arona but all of those do fit in the garage.

I haven't seen much mention of the Skoda Kamiq though.  Again it would have the 7 speed dry DSG but if you're saying they made it more durable then that's encouraging (and, yes, I would go for an extended warranty).  Incidentally, VW have apparently (according to my local dealer) done away with the extra two year extended warranty that you could buy during purchase of a new VW and  you can't take one out from new any longer - you have to wait until the 3 yr warranty expires then take out a monthly scheme which covers warranty, service and breakdown and  (for a T Roc for example) it currently costs £30 a month).

A Kamiq is 4241 long by 1793 wide by 1553 high.  The footprint is nigh on identical to a Yeti but it's the height (or lack of it) which they say lessens the appeal if you wanted something with a more commanding driving  height.  It's a tad longer than the T Cross and Arona but almost the same length as a T Roc. It's not as expensive as the Kia or the T Roc. It comes in one litre three cylinder (with two power output options plus a 1.5 four cylinder DSG or manual is available.  DSG and manual is also available on the higher output one litre.

Do we think VW have sorted the problems that they had with the 1.5 4 cylinder engine ????  If they genuinely have made the DSG more dependable and genuinely have stopped the 1.5 from kangarooing then their appeal is increased.  I reiterate ... my DSG has been fine since they fixed it under warranty - and it's now 12 years old and has done 40,00 miles,  but quite a few others haven't been.  If I knew I could get any DSG repair or replacement done at reasonable cost then it wouldn't be so bad, but that clearly isn't the case and we're talking thousands of pounds.

There is a Mk2 version of the ‘new’ 1.5 engine which has according to road test etc. permanently solved the kangarooing problem. The Mk2 engine also makes better use of cylinder deactivation to achieve improved MPG. As regards extended warranty if you can buy an extended warranty, service and breakdown cover for £30 per month that is excellent value compared with paying for them separately - it would cost you £30 per month simply for annual servicing and breakdown cover if you used a franchised dealer. 

Incidentally the Kamiq is better finished than VW equivalents with a wider range of options available. Real problem is that the seat height is not much higher than most hatchbacks. I can never understand why Skoda threw away their leading edge in design for life in favour of cookie cutter same as  everyone else designs. 

Edited by Expatman
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just returned from a visit to (a) local VW dealer. and smack opposite them is (b) the KIa dealer.

They had a new T Cross in the showroom and a few used T Rocs in the yard.

The T Cross felt reasonably roomy inside and the boot was OK ish.  The T Roc felt a bit bigger all round but certainly not hugely so - the seating position didn't feel any higher than the T Cross.

One of the dealer's salespersons told me, emphatically, that ALL VWs now had wet DSG boxes.  When I questioned this he said he was 100% sure and that they had been that way for "a few years".

The other salesman in the showroom I spoke to had remarkably little product knowledge - and I do mean LITTLE. But he had clearly been told to follow the customer round the yard and the showroom and not let him/her out of his sight.  I had to politely request he desist.

The Kia felt very "modern" and a bit space age compared to the two VWs. Lots of shiny black plastic and other plastic surfaces to attract fingerprints and dust. 

And the more I raised my seating position the less I could see out of the windscreen due to the mirror and some other plastic obstruction behind the mirror. But it seemed roomy enough in the front and equally so in the back and boot. ..... but I didn't really fall in love with it.

BUT he did have a used Kia Soul on the front which my Mrs. fell in love with  (mainly due to its similarity to the Yeti.)  But the Soul is only available as an EV and is ridiculously expensive.

The bottom line is .... I should be even more appreciative of the Yeti coz it's better than all the others.

PS. Anyone got any thoughts regarding the wet clutch in ALL VWs?

• Thanks 1

If they have used DQ381 in all FWD VW's including the 1.5 TSI ACT or 1.0 TSI, 150 ps / 250Nm or less and Front Wheel Drive they have not done the same with Skodas.

*They have not actually used DQ381,s in all 1.0 or 1.5 TSI ACT VW's. & it is silly of a sales person to say they have, and the Extended Warranty can be bought before the car is First Registered in the UK, and better to be than wait till the 3 year Manufacturers Warranty has or is about to expire.*

The Mk4 Fabia or the Scala, Kamiq, Karoq or Octavia even the Superb have DQ200,s that are no different from DQ200's since fitted to Yetis.

No more robust now than before.  Surely they have got rid of snagging faults.  Well not actually, but the Manufacturers Warranty including the extended one does include the Clutch Packs now. 

The mild hybrid 1.0 TSI or 1.5 TSI use the DQ200e, but 1.4 TSI PHEV's use the DQ400-e. 

SKODA_Warranty_Terms_November_2021 (1) (1).pdf

1202101576_Screenshot2021-07-28at14_13_28.webp

Edited by toot

1 hour ago, skomaz said:

Daft question byt have you looked at the new suzuki scross?

I do occasionally look at Suzuki but the last time I looked at the S Cross it was a couple thousand more than a Vitara and a Vitara would be OK size-wise but somehow it never seemed to fit the bill - maybe because the dealer isn't as handy as those in question or maybe coz people often say they seemed a bit tinny and insubstanstial compared to more usually mentioned makes.

The other thing is they say they have an AGS automated manual box and by that I take it to mean a single clutch semi auto as fitted to things like the VW UP. When I try to find out exactly what an AGS box is I never seem to find a definitive answer.

1 hour ago, toot said:

If they have used DQ381 in all FWD VW's including the 1.5 TSI ACT or 1.0 TSI, 150 ps / 250Nm or less and Front Wheel Drive they have not done the same with Skodas.

*They have not actually used DQ381,s in all 1.0 or 1.5 TSI ACT VW's. & it is silly of a sales person to say they have, and the Extended Warranty can be bought before the car is First Registered in the UK, and better to be than wait till the 3 year Manufacturers Warranty has or is about to expire.*

The Mk4 Fabia or the Scala, Kamiq, Karoq or Octavia even the Superb have DQ200,s that are no different from DQ200's since fitted to Yetis.

No more robust now than before.  Surely they have got rid of snagging faults.  Well not actually, but the Manufacturers Warranty including the extended one does include the Clutch Packs now. 

The mild hybrid 1.0 TSI or 1.5 TSI use the DQ200e, but 1.4 TSI PHEV's use the DQ400-e. 

SKODA_Warranty_Terms_November_2021 (1) (1).pdf 462.9 kB · 0 downloads

1202101576_Screenshot2021-07-28at14_13_28.webp

The first sales person who approached me whilst I was minding my own business in the dealers yard where the used cars were parked was young and totally inexperienced - and it showed - but we all have to start somewhere ..... so when I asked if the T.Roc that I was looking at had a wet or dry clutch he had no idea what I was talking about and went away and asked a more experienced colleague - who said, in no uncertain terms, that ALL VWs had wet boxes and had done for several years.

I asked him if he was certain ... and he said he was.  Without any actual proof that he was wrong I could say little more other than engage in a brief discussion concerning the unreliability of SOME (maybe early production) dry 7 speed boxes ... he agreed there had been some initial concern but that they now don't get trouble with DSG boxes. There was no point in pressing the point further and shortly afterwards I crossed the road and went into the Kia dealership.  I did ask the first (inexperienced) salesperson what he knew about the troubles concerning 1.5 Tsi engines in recent times ... but, of course, he knew nothing and said they were all fine. In all honesty he was more concerned about getting my phone number and trying to get me to go back to him at the earliest opportunity. He really wasn't an asset to the dealership. And by the sound of it the other salesperson who said all DSG boxes are now wet isn't to be relied upon either.  I have the name of one of the managers there (I used to have my Skoda serviced there) and I think I'll ring him and put the DSG question to him as well.

Looking back on my experience today I think I shall abandon all hope of owning a VW.

Edited by oldstan
  • Like 1

It is nothing like a ASG in a UP!MIICitigo.

Always worth trying driving Auto's yourself and the one you will get and not just listen to roadtester, reviewers driving a media car or loaner, and that might not like Autos of any flavour, CVT, DSG or any comnination.

Just arriving into Dealers as Demonstrators soon.

The New Dacia Jogger Hybrid  (7 seat) is reported to have a 4 speed automated clutchless gear box.

Actually, 4 gears 2 electric motors and that means 15 combinations of gears all working pretty seamless.  140ps

Clio eTech has the 1.6 NA engine and a 7 speed auto. 145 ps

The Renault Arkana Hybrid has 140 ps and really i have no idea what gears, 6 or 7. 

@lol-lolcan tell us about the last one. 

As to the Clio e-tech it can achieve amazing MPG for a self charge hybrid, but there is no heated seats or steering wheel available.

The Capture e-Tech Hybrid is 140 ps not 145ps as the Clio as it is a different engine.

Edited by toot

Currently i do not know because i do not know what engines are on offer.

But the last 1.0 or 1.4 or AWD Vitara's i drove a couple of years ago had different autos in each, CVT or Twin Cluth or TQ boxes.

They all worked.

Now there are mild hybrids and new ones coming and i have not bothered looking as i have a EV, a Diesel 4x4 & a Suxuki SX4 Auto that is 11 years old with a 1.6 N/A engine and 4 speed auto and as good for economy as any newer cars.

Looking to have 1 car that can tow when the EV goes back.  It might be a Suzuki but i think maybe the Dacia Jogger with the roof rack system, hybrid / auto and loads of room.

Very easy in and out and i find the seats comfy.

I agree that in recent years there were two auto types ... the CVT and the twin clutch (and, having made enquiries at the time, it wasn't entirely straightforward to know which was which, but that's neither here nor there) ... but you did say    It is nothing like a ASG in a UP!MIICitigo.        followed by       Currently i do not know because i do not know what engines are on offer.   Which, with all due respect, does beg the question how do you know it isn't of the type fitted to the UP/Citigo?  It's a genuine question that I ask not an attempt to have a pop or to be clever ....  I honestly did look hard to find the answer to my question of what type of transmission is ASG but simply could get an answer.

ASG are Single Clutch Automated manuals.  Really the most rubbish 2 pedal box / engine combination they could have.

Suzuki was / is AGS.

I had Jimny Auto's since 2000, and other Suzuki Auto's including Vitara.   

They do not fit rubbish Auto's, they use good boxes as do Toyota.     They are not fitting worse Autos than in the past. 

VW have messes up the DQ381,s and need to own up to problems with them. Not ignore as they did with DQ200's until other countries like Australia and China made them act.

VW Bought into Suzuki to find out more about small turbo engines and Hybrids etc and now Suzuki are ready to build them for sale totally tried and tested unlike VW group did.

Suzuki bought back the final shares from VW the day before the Emissions Scandal broke in the US.

6041-VitaraFullHybrid2022Booklet.pdf

Edited by toot

OK, time to draw line here.  By the way I was inadvertantly saying ASG instead of AGS.  My mistake there.

I accept that Suzuki can be relied upon to offer integrity  when selecting a transmission for their vehicles.  It's simply that they say they're fitting 'Auto Gear Shift'  (AGS)  into their current Vitara / S Cross and I'm saying I wonder what type of transmission that is.  So neither you nor I know the answer and that's where we should leave it hanging.

(incidentally the auto in the IGNIS does seem a little clearer - CVT).

1 hour ago, oldstan said:

I do occasionally look at Suzuki but the last time I looked at the S Cross it was a couple thousand more than a Vitara and a Vitara would be OK size-wise but somehow it never seemed to fit the bill - maybe because the dealer isn't as handy as those in question or maybe coz people often say they seemed a bit tinny and insubstanstial compared to more usually mentioned makes.

The other thing is they say they have an AGS automated manual box and by that I take it to mean a single clutch semi auto as fitted to things like the VW UP. When I try to find out exactly what an AGS box is I never seem to find a definitive answer.

When I ask what LGBTQ++ is, I never get a straight answer either.

5 hours ago, oldstan said:

Just returned from a visit to (a) local VW dealer. and smack opposite them is (b) the KIa dealer.

They had a new T Cross in the showroom and a few used T Rocs in the yard.

The T Cross felt reasonably roomy inside and the boot was OK ish.  The T Roc felt a bit bigger all round but certainly not hugely so - the seating position didn't feel any higher than the T Cross.

One of the dealer's salespersons told me, emphatically, that ALL VWs now had wet DSG boxes.  When I questioned this he said he was 100% sure and that they had been that way for "a few years".

The other salesman in the showroom I spoke to had remarkably little product knowledge - and I do mean LITTLE. But he had clearly been told to follow the customer round the yard and the showroom and not let him/her out of his sight.  I had to politely request he desist.

The Kia felt very "modern" and a bit space age compared to the two VWs. Lots of shiny black plastic and other plastic surfaces to attract fingerprints and dust. 

And the more I raised my seating position the less I could see out of the windscreen due to the mirror and some other plastic obstruction behind the mirror. But it seemed roomy enough in the front and equally so in the back and boot. ..... but I didn't really fall in love with it.

BUT he did have a used Kia Soul on the front which my Mrs. fell in love with  (mainly due to its similarity to the Yeti.)  But the Soul is only available as an EV and is ridiculously expensive.

The bottom line is .... I should be even more appreciative of the Yeti coz it's better than all the others.

PS. Anyone got any thoughts regarding the wet clutch in ALL VWs?

Salesman doesn’t know what he is talking about. 7 speed dry DSG’s are used for all VAG cars up to a certain power/torque output.

28 minutes ago, Expatman said:

Salesman doesn’t know what he is talking about. 7 speed dry DSG’s are used for all VAG cars up to a certain power/torque output.

The more I reflect on my time in the VW showroom the more disheartened I am.  I think that must, surely, put the tin hat on my time there.

One one occasion, when the Yeti was about five years old and the same garage had it in for a service, they called and said it needs new brakes, do I want them to go ahead and do them? I declined. And now the car is 12 years old and it still has the same set of brakes on the car.  Shirley shome mishtake on their behalf - or simply a means to make a little extra profit at my expense?

On another occasion they returned the car from a service and MOT with badly low pressure in one tyre despite giving me paperwork telling me they'd checked and found the pressure in order. I rang the manager and got an apology - but what else had they overlooked?

No, sadly I think I must look elsewhere.

5 hours ago, toot said:

It is nothing like a ASG in a UP!MIICitigo.

Always worth trying driving Auto's yourself and the one you will get and not just listen to roadtester, reviewers driving a media car or loaner, and that might not like Autos of any flavour, CVT, DSG or any comnination.

Just arriving into Dealers as Demonstrators soon.

The New Dacia Jogger Hybrid  (7 seat) is reported to have a 4 speed automated clutchless gear box.

Actually, 4 gears 2 electric motors and that means 15 combinations of gears all working pretty seamless.  140ps

Clio eTech has the 1.6 NA engine and a 7 speed auto. 145 ps

The Renault Arkana Hybrid has 140 ps and really i have no idea what gears, 6 or 7. 

can tell us about the last one. 

As to the Clio e-tech it can achieve amazing MPG for a self charge hybrid, but there is no heated seats or steering wheel available.

The Capture e-Tech Hybrid is 140 ps not 145ps as the Clio as it is a different engine.

Arkana, Capture and Clio, use the 1.6 NA engine with the 4 speed box connected to the drive alongside the 2 speed ETECH system which Renault say is derived from the F1 tech , for better or worse.  Gets some impressive mpg ie high 60s many owners report but some also report much lower figures.  Several reports of this model revving it nuts off when being used on steep long hills due to the 1.6 NA not having much torque below 3k revs and when the little 1.2 kWh hybrid battery runs low it is all down to the not very torquey 1.6 NA engine.  Recent software update suppose to help the over-revving but it cannot software its way our of not having a turbo for more low down torque of course.

I have the simple mild hybrid 140 hp 1.33 l engine much used in the Alliance and also provide to Mercedes in large numbers, matched to a 7 speed dry clutch box like the DSG but called EDC in Renault parlance. I get 50 mpg without trying 55 mpg when trying.  1.33 is about a second quicker to 60/62 and has a top speed of 127 instead of 110 which the EDC is limited to.  160 hp engine a bit quicker of course.  It looks like Renault are phasing out the 1.6 NA engine being combined with either the 1.333 Alliance/Merc engine or a new 1.2 l three cylinder and a more powerful ETECH whacking over 400 NM, this is being used in the new Renault Austral  ...https://www.renaultgroup.com/en/news-on-air/news/all-new-renault-austral-less-co2-more-pleasure/#:~:text=The 160 HP 12V Mild,starting at 136g%2Fkm*.    

If/when exactly Renault are going to release the newer turbo engine with more electric power too, including the 5 speed box linked to the drive instead of 4 and with the turbo should solve the annoying high revving occurrences and some of us hope to see the Renault Austral model.  But I would like to see the Dacia Spring and more variants of both Dacia and Renault models as they appear to be such good value, like Skoda use to be and I had best part of 20 of them going back to the Felicia but now I am all Renault, although the Arkana is actually built in S.Korea and is really a Samsung XM3.  Had things been different it might have been made in Ukraine, or Kazakhstan or Russia.  Happy with Korea as seems to be screwed together OK.    I would only go ETECH if I was going lots of urban driving (and I did not have a fuel card maybe), quite high weight penalty for all this electric drive gubbins, circa 100 kgs.   

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 1