Replacing Yeti

awfabia

Hi,

Thanks for the update toot; 👍   my wife and I have just watched this video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2_PMuL_4w4&t=919s

I'm always short of time so pop onto the forum whenever I can; I often wander off topic and don't mind other members doing this I learn a great deal this way as long as the mods kindly allow it.

Kind regards, Colin.

@FabcolIf you look into the Electric Car Section and the busiest thread 'The truth of Electric Cars'  there are plenty posts about him and his videos and comments and reading out articles.  Maybe posts just yesterday. 

You lease Motability cars, £71 a week and the Advance Payment on the available MPV EV,s is ridiculously high.

Lower Advance Payments available on ICE WAV,s and People Carrier vans than EV WAV or Vans.

Screenshot 2023-10-06 5.07.28 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-06 5.14.09 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-06 5.14.55 PM.png

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Our much loved 2015 TDI 4x4 DSG has just turned 99,000m.

I've looked at the (still hilarious) price of final 2017 model Yeti DSGs (4x4 not critical to us now) and I'm now thinking that a 1.5 Karoq DSG is better value used ?  Younger Karoqs with similar mileage  are the same money.

Thoughts ?

15 minutes ago, Prezafab said:

Our much loved 2015 TDI 4x4 DSG has just turned 99,000m.

I've looked at the (still hilarious) price of final 2017 model Yeti DSGs (4x4 not critical to us now) and I'm now thinking that a 1.5 Karoq DSG is better value used ?  Younger Karoqs with similar mileage  are the same money.

Thoughts ?

My Yeti -> Karoq transition has not gone especially well.

I'll locate previous posts on the subject and will post them up (when I have access to a PC)

• Like 1

Back to the title of the thread. I replaced my Diesel Yeti 5 years ago in March. I could not find anything that was near a direct replacement, so did a sideways step and bought a Petrol Audi A3. It has the 1.5 tfsi petrol engine that is common across the VAG group and is an absolute gem. It is refined, pulls well and extremely economical. It is even a better tow car than my Yeti was.

This year I'll start looking to replace it. I do not jump quickly, so 12-24 months is a probable time frame. 

As much as I like the engine I cannot see me getting a Karoq, it just does not float my boat. At present I can see two contenders, a Volvo XC40, but that is EXPENSIVE and a Mazda CX5. Nothing will have the style of the Yeti but this car does have a presence. It is extremely well put together, a very nice interior and excellent reliability record. It even handles well and come in the correct side of £30K.

Colin

No-one has yet mentioned the forthcoming 2024 Dacia Duster.

Completely re designed, choice of hybrid or non hybrid engines, choice of manual or auto. and all sorts of improvement over the outgoing one. Two or four wheel drive but no diesels.

Almost identical dimensions to the old one which make it an acceptable size to replace the Yeti. 4343mm long 1810mm wide 1656mm high.

dimension details ..... https://uk.motor1.com/news/698996/dacia-duster-2024-dimensions-boot-space/

Edited by oldstan

1 hour ago, oldstan said:

No-one has yet mentioned the forthcoming 2024 Dacia Duster.

Completely re designed, choice of hybrid or non hybrid engines, choice of manual or auto. and all sorts of improvement over the outgoing one. Two or four wheel drive but no diesels.

Almost identical dimensions to the old one which make it an acceptable size to replace the Yeti. 4343mm long 1810mm wide 1656mm high.

dimension details ..... https://uk.motor1.com/news/698996/dacia-duster-2024-dimensions-boot-space/

Yeah...   I've seen a few reviews of it and a 1.2 turbo hybrid manual 4x4 looks quite a tempting prospect 

If the Duster had more bhp and torque I would be interested as I need to tow a caravan. If I did not tow it would definitely be on my list. The next model up, the forthcoming Bigster, just looks to big, a bit like a block of flats. Shame.

Colin

21 minutes ago, eribaMotters said:

If the Duster had more bhp and torque I would be interested as I need to tow a caravan. If I did not tow it would definitely be on my list. The next model up, the forthcoming Bigster, just looks to big, a bit like a block of flats. Shame.

Colin

Just been talking about the all electric Sangyong Korando on the ev thread

Tows up to 1500kg? (reckon it will be only around 100 mile at a time though)

49 minutes ago, Stonekeeper said:

Just been talking about the all electric Sangyong Korando on the ev thread

Tows up to 1500kg? (reckon it will be only around 100 mile at a time though)

If you are talking all electric, what about the Volvo EX30. Volvo EX30 | Small electric SUV | Volvo Cars

Colin 

6 minutes ago, eribaMotters said:

If you are talking all electric, what about the Volvo EX30. Volvo EX30 | Small electric SUV | Volvo Cars

Colin 

I believe to Tow 1500kg it would need to be the top of the range 4x4 (1600kg) which is over £40,000?

Others limited to 1,000kg for single motor and 1,400kg for twin motors

Whilst we're wondering if  the new Duster might serve as a Yeti replacement I would ask the assembled brethren why they might think that Dacia have fitted an unusual size tyre on the higher spec ones. 

215 60 18 (Ecocontact 6Q)

If you wanted to change the ones that they show as coming with the top of the range model to an All Season or Winter Tyre ... or, indeed, just wanted a different make or model tyre on there you'd find very little choice.

Perhaps the ones we get in the UK will  be a different size.

I did even see on one of the Dacia forums that a contributor had noticed the very same thing.  Not sure about the 17 inch wheels - but if the UK does happen to get the rare (and pricey) tyre size then people might be looking up the online tyre calculators to see what alternative sizes might be more readily available.  I did that myself but without much success,

9 hours ago, oldstan said:

Whilst we're wondering if  the new Duster might serve as a Yeti replacement I would ask the assembled brethren why they might think that Dacia have fitted an unusual size tyre on the higher spec ones. 

215 60 18 (Ecocontact 6Q)

If you wanted to change the ones that they show as coming with the top of the range model to an All Season or Winter Tyre ... or, indeed, just wanted a different make or model tyre on there you'd find very little choice.

Perhaps the ones we get in the UK will  be a different size.

I did even see on one of the Dacia forums that a contributor had noticed the very same thing.  Not sure about the 17 inch wheels - but if the UK does happen to get the rare (and pricey) tyre size then people might be looking up the online tyre calculators to see what alternative sizes might be more readily available.  I did that myself but without much success,

wheel-size.com lists the Duster as having either 215/65R16 or 215/60R17 tyres.

autodoc are listing the 16" Duster steel rims, as shown in one of the links below.

Vredestein Quatrac 6 215/65R16 98H (Euro label C B 71dB) (all-season tyre)

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m139b0s8008p202133/Vredestein_Tyres_All_Season_Car_Vredestein_Quatrac_6_215_65_R16_98H_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_B_Noise%3A_71dB

6.5Jx16 ET50 5/114.3 66.1 steel rim (Dacia Duster)

Rim 8873 from ALCAR

https://www.oponeo.pl/felga-stalowa/alcar-kfz-8873

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/alcar/14750790?search=ALCAR+Rim+(8873)

Edited by Carlston

But the sizes you've quoted are from the old (existing) Duster.

The publicity relating  to the new one doesn't show 16 inch wheels and the 17 inch ones you refer to aren't shown as being fitted to the new one.

It would be nice to think the old sizes could be carried over from the old to the new  .... maybe they will be, but they're not shown as we speak.

I can't see a response from Carlston so presume nothing more to add there ... however I spotted yet another "review" of the new Renault Duster on Youtube, this time by contributor 'CarsForUs' but on this video the vehicle, in 'Extreme' trim, is fitted with 215 65 17 tyres.  A far more readilly available size.

41 minutes ago, oldstan said:

I can't see a response from Carlston so presume nothing more to add there ... however I spotted yet another "review" of the new Renault Duster on Youtube, this time by contributor 'CarsForUs' but on this video the vehicle, in 'Extreme' trim, is fitted with 215 65 17 tyres.  A far more readily available size.

I hadn't replied because I wasn't sure what the tyre and rim specifications will be for the new Duster MK3.

However, it's looking like they will be 215/65R17 and 215/60R18 so this reply assumes this to be the case.

If the rim specification is similar to the old Duster, ie. ET50 5/114.3 66.1 then it should be possible to use non-standard 215/70R16 tyres on the old 16" rims...if high sidewalls are your thing.

As you can see in the chart below, both the 215/70R16 and 215/60R18 tyre sizes have very similar outside diameters to the 215/65R17 tyre size, ie. so close that the difference is insignificant.

Outside diameter of tyres

215/70R16 707.4mm (-0.5% compared to 215/65R17)

215/65R17 711.3mm

215/60R18 715.2mm (+0.5% compared to 215/65R17)

Here's some examples of tyres in the 215/70R16 size. The below examples are all under £100 each (not including shipping), except for the Michelin which usually tends to be a bit more.

Michelin Primacy 4+ 215/70R16 100H

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m62b0s13231p210229/Michelin_Tyres_Car_Michelin_Primacy_4%2B_215_70_R16_100H_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_B_Noise%3A_69dB

Uniroyal RainExpert 5 215/70R16 100H

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m62b0s13231p212997/Uniroyal_Tyres_Car_Uniroyal_RainExpert_5_215_70_R16_100H_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_B_Noise%3A_71dB

Vredestein Quatrac 6 215/70R16 100H

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m139b0s12700p201645/Vredestein_Tyres_All_Season_Car_Vredestein_Quatrac_6_215_70_R16_100H_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_B_Noise%3A_71dB

Yokohama Geolandar AT G015 215/70R16 100H

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m62b0s13231p148267/Yokohama_Tyres_Car_Yokohama_Geolandar_AT_G015_215_70_R16_100H_RPB_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_E_Wet_Grip%3A_C_NoiseClass%3A_B_Noise%3A_70dB

Edited by Carlston

From a purely personal point of view I can't see the point of repeated reference to 16 inch wheels or tyres when speaking about the new, Mk 3, version of the Duster ... which I was.  From what I can see they're not going to fit 16 inch wheels and tyres to the new one.

If anyone wants a second set of wheels and tyres on which to fit,say, winter tyres then so be it, the 16 inch size is fine .... I have a second set (16 inch) on my current Yeti. But I rather suspect that for the majority of users having a second set of wheels and tyres is more and more thought of as being a bit of a faff particularly as the newer All Season tyres ( I'm thinking Goodyear and Michelin and perhaps Bridgestone) are getting better with each iteraton.  I no longer swap between winter and summer tyres and simply keep a new set of Gen 3 Vectors on my 16" steel wheels and store the OEM alloys in the garage.  With the benefit of hindsight I need not have gone to the trouble of two sets of wheels and tyres ... my mistake.

1 hour ago, oldstan said:

From what I can see they're not going to fit 16 inch wheels and tyres to the new one.

If the new Duster MK3 comes with 18" wheels I doubt the dealer would change them to 17" wheels. I asked for something similar on a new VAG car, but the dealer had no interest in swapping the wheels around. You had to accept delivery of the car with the wheels that it left the factory with.

It's possible 17" wheels from the Nissan Qashqai 2021- would fit the Duster MK3, but you would have to check the specification especially the offset. I expect there's also alloy rims in this specification.

The Nissan Qashqai (gen. III) 2021- uses the same 215/65R17 tyre size that the Duster MK3 uses.

Alcar 9006 7Jx17 ET37 5/114.3 66.1 steel rim (from Nissan Qashqai 2021-)

ALCAR 9006

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rims/details?vehicleId=1330466244213609586&rimCode=ALCAR9006

Edited by Carlston

I'm going to say nothing more on this .... Dacia will fit whatever they so choose.

I said I didn't think there was much point in quoting detailed examples of wheels and tyres that Dacia are not seemingly going to fit - judging by the numerous Youtube reviews they seem to have settled on 17 and 18 inches depending on the model. I might well be wrong but it just seems that way.

And I can't see much point in quoting details of wheels from a 2021 Nissan Qashqai - supplied from a company in Hanover, Germany .... we're all perfectly aware the dealers aren't going to do any pre delivery swaps and how many customers will give the slightest thought to  fitting non standard, non specification, non approved,  wheels and tyres on a brand new car knowing the manufacturer (or the insurer) won't take at all kindly to it ?

I wish I hadn't mentioned it. I was merely saying that a video i watched showed the fitment of an unusual and expensive size of tyre which offered little choice when it came to replacing them. I was speaking prematurely and shouldn't have done ... i'm sorry.

• Like 1