Alloy Blemish

Gav23

My xtremes have similar. RIght now they still look good unless you really inspect them close. At some point in the future they'll get worse though.

My current plan is to wait until I can't bear it any longer, then get them powder coated black (no diamond cut).

An alternative option I'm considering: you can buy single wheels from a Skoda dealer via ebay, and about twice a year they do a 10% code off any purchase. 2 of my wheels are worse than the other two, so I'm tempted to buy two new diamond cut wheels when the offer is next on and swap them over. By the time I've sold the old ones it's not going to be that much more than a refurb and I can retain the diamond cut "look".

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

Has anyone ever had feedback from dealer concerning this? 

Take your pick:

'Gosh, we've never seen anything like that before...'

'No sir, not warranty related, I'm afraid that's fair wear and tear...'

'You do realise that by modifying your alloy wheel, you've invalidated any warranty you may have had.... we advise you to inform your insurer that you have had your alloys wheels lightened...'

MD damaged two of my alloys when changing tyres.  Rejected my complaint as 'existing damage' until I showed them timed photo's from when I'd left the car with them two hours earlier.  It was apparently the machine that did it :notme:

Gaz

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tyre fitters damage alloys. I kept mine pristine until I needed tyres after punctures. Different tyre fitters damaged the rims and a scratch along one of the spokes - sickening. I have not even curbed them after 7 years.

Edited by edbostan

Tyre fitters may well damage rims.

But white worm on wheels that have never been to a 'Tyre Fitter' other than in a Skoda Factory, then transported and arriving at a dealership and getting no knocks is to do with the actual wheels as purchased by VW Group and fitted to the cars.

Crap idea where style has become more important than the longevity of the product which needing treated with kid gloves.

How can OEM’s get tyres on wheels with no damage? Is there something about the replacement process that leaves wheels susceptible to damage?

Or is it that we just don’t see the damaged wheels from the factory? Is there I giant pile of scuffed alloys out the back next to the staff car park :tongueout:

You can watch how tyres go on rims in a factory on Youtube.

Tyre Fitters in a Tyre & Exhaust centre clamp the wheels differently.

Some are hashy and damage the wheels, or clamp not in the centre bore only.

Some are hashy just moving wheels / tyres from the car to the Tyre Fitting Machine, then the Wheel Balancer, and back to the car.

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 2