Karog Stop start not working

Ajay24

My 2018 Karoq SE 1.5  shows the following stop start status messages:-

Vehicle power consumption high.

Engine must be running.

cabin not at comfortable level (sometimes)

Car was in for service last week (Skoda North Wales)and problem not solved. Told to trickle charge battery overnight but no difference. My multimeter readings showed 12.8 volts before charge and 14..4 after a night's charge.

Also told to switch off heated mirrors .

Also, if I press the deactivate switch and then press again to activate it the central dash readout only shows the deactivated symbol.

Any ideas what  the problem is?

Can't take the car to dealer because of Welsh lockdowns meaning I can't leave my County to go to the next county where dealership is based.

Shame about this because the car runs so well.

Edited by Ajay24
extra info

The car needs to be confident that it has enough charge in the battery to restart. If you've only been taking short journeys, perhaps it isn't. 

Taking a long drive could well solve the problem (if you're allowed to without driving round and round Rhyl) or alternatively just be happy that you've got a car that all the owners who curse Stop/Start would love to have! 

• Like 2

As CJJE says to have a car without stop/start is a real bonus.

Regarding your voltage readings were you measuring direct onto the battery as 14.4 after a nights charge is fine.

I keep a voltage monitor permanently plugged into the 12v auxiliary socket and it rarely reads above 12volt but the Stop/Start always works provided that the engine is warm and that the heating and or aircon are not drawing too much current.

The lighter socket may however be not measuring battery voltage direct and I understand that the battery is purposely kept on a low charge to allow charging during braking etc. to aid emissions.

Others on here will know more precisely how the system operates

My car: 2019 build, built September 2018 1.5 TSI SEL Manual.

The 'engine being warm'  is not required for Stop / Start to function.

A stone cold engine can have Stop / Start operating. You can start a car and reverse out on to a street 

Settings for the heating in the car being 16 degrees different from the ambient temp can have Stop / Start not function.

As can a very low ambient temp.  

Or the various other things like too much draw from the battery required.

@Ajay24

As long as the issue is logged with the Skoda Dealership you can get your new battery or whatever when you can travel.

If there is ever any serious issue use Skoda Assist and let the responder be sent out from your area to you.

?

Stop / Start being immobilized is not such a hardship is it?

Edited by e-Roottoot

If the connector arrowed below is loose or not fitted into the battery clamp, it will affect S/S operation. 

What’s the battery voltage with the engine off and car locked?

Is it an AGM or EFB marked battery?

55CBFC16-9710-45E9-86AA-0D064BDBDDF9.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks I, problem was logged at time of service a couple of weeks ago and I have tried everything the service dept has asked. I was told that if nothing improves then contact them again for further investigations.

@Ajay24

Late Summer / Early Autumn in the UK you should not need to be trying anything to have Stop / Start functioning, 

the Service Department need to stop wasting customers time.

If you have to return to get your car fit for purpose tell them your hourly rate to take the car back in is the same as they will charge Skoda UK for the warranty work, 

plus your fuel costs.

Yes. EFB is a lower S/S battery tech. It can take quite a while for the engine to cut with S/S using one of these, as much as 45 mins. AGM allow earlier operation in just a few minutes after an engine start. 

The battery voltage is good in your case. 
There are multiple settings that inhibit S/S operation including steering wheel inputs, pedal movement, seatbelt connectivity, even vehicle angle.

Otherwise it’s as RootyGeorge says above. 😕

During the current situation my start/stop rarely comes on even after a 30+ mile journey, as it is we don't do many 30+ mile journeys. 

If it is a battery voltage problem remember a lot of battery charging is done whilst the engine is not under load e.g. on overrun etc.

tom

Thanks for all the help, will get in touch with the dealership tomorrow and let you know their answer.

I know they charged my battery at the service but tell me if I am imagining things that my battery was a Varta  not an Exide. Could be me but I have had Varta batteries on all my VAG previous new cars. Could they have swapped it as the battery cover is now missing as well as the positive terminal protector??

You all say that stop start is a pain in the a**e but if it is fitted it should work. It did work for 12 months or so and I just got used to it.

• Like 1

There are a few requirements for stop/start to operate not just battery voltage.

Conditions for the automatic engine shut down (stop phase):

› The gearshift lever is in Neutral.

› The clutch pedal is not depressed.

› The driver has fastened the seat belt.

› The driver's door is closed.

› The bonnet is closed.

› The vehicle is at a standstill.

› The engine is at operating temperature.

› The charge state of the vehicle battery is sufficient.

› The stationary vehicle is not on a steep slope or a steep downhill section.

› The engine speed is less than 1200 1/min.

› The temperature of the vehicle battery is not too low or too high.

› There is sufficient pressure in the braking system.

› The difference between the outdoor- and the set temperature in the interior is not too great.

› The vehicle speed since the last time the engine was switched off was greater than 3 km/h.

› The front wheels are not turned excessively (the steering angle is less than 3/4 of a steering wheel revolution).

• Like 1

Skoda are good at paint marking the terminals for factory torque setting confirmation. Check if the bolts are painted and it’s still in line across adjacent components. Also, the battery will have a date code on it, VARTA is week no over year on the neg post in 4 digit format. This should predate the vehicle build by a few weeks if it is correct.

This will tell you if it’s been fiddled with. 

Edited by BigEjit
  • Like 1

It is an exide battery and the only marking I can see on it is 09/18 stamped into the negative battery terminal so I guess it is original although the date of first registion is August 2018

18 minutes ago, Ajay24 said:

It is an exide battery and the only marking I can see on it is 09/18 stamped into the negative battery terminal so I guess it is original although the date of first registion is August 2018

There’s another point to consider, the time between build and first on-road usage from new. There’s about 6 months stand time there. It’s unlikely there has been much engine run time between building, shipping and getting to first end user. The battery is entirely at the mercy of the transport chain and dealer network to ensure the voltage remains high with checks and recharging if necessary. If It’s been left to discharge at any time, it is possible there has been a slight loss of capacity in the battery which is not always as recoverable on EFB vs AGM. This affects battery life and performance depending on how long and how discharged it was.

Its possible to still have a good voltage but the punch from the cranking amps is reduced a little. It’s another S/S inhibit point and the most likely if all other vehicle variables are OK. It will need a performance check with a Midtronics gadget to be sure, which is equipment most main branded dealers have and use. OEMs have these preset with specific programs to measure the battery types in their vehicle ranges.

There's nothing more you can do with this at home than you have done already. Further overnight recharging could help, otherwise butter up the service staff. 😉

My new car picked up mid August was built in March or very late feb. It broke down on day 2 with a flat battery when I tried to start it. AA got me going and I have a smart charger so left it on that overnight.

Week later after several long trips I was having issues with cruise control not working. Next day failed to start again with flat battery.

Car returned to dealer and they had to fit a new battery, fine since.

AA guy says if the  battery goes completely flat it often won’t take a charge again above a very low level.

He had dealt with a number of similar callouts to Skoda, VW, Audi, VW etc.

Your battery may have the same issue but held enough charge it went unnoticed.

As above if not kept charged in storage the battery just dies.

On 04/10/2020 at 21:38, kenfowler3966 said:

My new car picked up mid August was built in March or very late feb. It broke down on day 2 with a flat battery when I tried to start it. AA got me going and I have a smart charger so left it on that overnight.

Week later after several long trips I was having issues with cruise control not working. Next day failed to start again with flat battery.

Car returned to dealer and they had to fit a new battery, fine since.

AA guy says if the  battery goes completely flat it often won’t take a charge again above a very low level.

He had dealt with a number of similar callouts to Skoda, VW, Audi, VW etc.

Your battery may have the same issue but held enough charge it went unnoticed.

As above if not kept charged in storage the battery just dies.

Following lockdown guess there will be  a few battery issues with cars parked up for weeks/months

Strangely my car was built almost a year before I picked up the keys.  Built mid July 19, registered end Dec and I bought it end June.  So far no battery issues.  :thumbup:

Now I’ve blown it. :D

My other non-skoda car had a start stop issue. But almost all start stop systems work in the same way. In my case and could be in yours too, the pressure sensor might be broken and always detects 0 pressure. 

Has a diagnostic been done?

In lockdown at present so can't crooss county boundary to dealership. Telephoned Skoda service manager and got the fault logged so it can be investigated fully when lockdown is lifted. Thanks everybody for the help.