Rope or cord advice, please

MikeTheThinker

As part of the task of getting my folks' house ready for market I have to seal and then paint the cast iron guttering, and to get to it I'll be using my Dad's steel telescopic ladders.

My problem is that the cord used to pull up the second ladder section via a pulley arrangement has deteriorated over time and needs replacing. 

The current cord is braided 10mm rope and I was thinking of paracord as a suitable replacement, something that runs smoothly and doesn't stretch.  Ideally it also will survive when stored outside.

Is this the best solution, or should I be considering something else?

BTW the ladders are 2-section galvanised steel from Gravity Ladders and Randall; heavy but absolutely solid in use.

Edited by StickyMicky

Para cord is normally only about 3 or 4mm diameter, it probably would be strong enough but better to use the correct sized nylon rope which will run better over the pulleys.

18 minutes ago, Wino said:

What sort of length do you need?

Around 10m or so.  I need to measure properly when  I get back there tomorrow.

12 minutes ago, john999boy said:

I'm thinking of replacing my 4.1m triple ladder for something not quite so long or heavy and wondered about getting a pulley replacement version. Surely they aren't inoperative if the cord is duff?

These are heavy galvanised steel ladders and impractical to operate without the rope.  My Dad bought them in the 1960s so they don't benefit from the advances in materials technology in the past 60-odd years.

I have a similar set in aluminium which are much lighter to use but not quite long enough.  I also have an ex-BT triple set without pulley but again they're not quite long enough :(

25 minutes ago, john999boy said:

I'm thinking of replacing my 4.1m triple ladder for something not quite so long or heavy and wondered about getting a pulley replacement version. Surely they aren't inoperative if the cord is duff?

I have an alu 3.5m triple set of ladders which I used in my early 30's to make my living installing burglar alarms, they were heavy then being I section side rails & not the hollow box type, sturdy but heavy.

fast forward 30 years and I am considerably lighter, dont have the same strength & mobility and erecting them has become dangerous, were I using them every day I would probably regain the strength and the technique but I would really like a sectional ladder with pull cord extension now.

23 minutes ago, StickyMicky said:

Around 10m or so.  I need to measure properly when  I get back there tomorrow.

I'll see what I've got kicking about, but doubt there's anything that long.

4 minutes ago, Wino said:

I'll see what I've got kicking about, but doubt there's anything that long.

Appreciate the offer anyway :)

Possibly blue nylon rope also used as drawrope on comms jobs. Certainly strong enough  and does not succumb to weather problems. Older BT ( in my day GPO) used to use sash line for tying down or on extension ladders, but it tends to deteriorate in the damp. Only problem with blue nylon is stopping ends fraying and knots. I'd always ( even with sealed ends) knot the ends before joining lengths with a knot.

I have 500m of that in my cellar but am a log way from Mickey.

He can find what he wants pretty much anywhere with much cheapness, I am still reeling from what I was rushed for this here 15 years ago, things are a little better now but not much.

22 hours ago, StickyMicky said:

I also have an ex-BT triple set without pulley but again they're not quite long enough :(

Ladder, extension 5B ;) How high up's the guttering if they won't reach it? 

The property is a fairly standard 2-storey 1930s semi; the particular problem is that it's built on a slope so whilst access from the front is do-able access from the rear needs another 1 to 1.5m extra ladder ...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

dont forget minimum extension of 1m beyond the height of your gutter, and a 70deg (1:4) slope  for ladder safety ;)

OK, make that "need 2m more" ladder than the BT triples give me :)

I'll be using a standoff but the eaves are quite deep - nearly 3 feet in old money - which adds to the fun ...

A general ladder question if I may?

I have said that I am considering a cord operated extension ladder for safety reasons as I am finding it harder and a little dangerous to fully extend my standard triple ladder, it would help if I were taller but that wont happen.

The ones here in France tend to have wheels at the top to allow it to extend easily up the wall, I"m not sure if these retract or lock when in place, I dont like the thought of them as they will exacerbate any tendancy for the bottom of the ladder to slip.

Do the UK ones have those wheels or do you extend the ladder by the top of the rails scraping up the wall or are they intended to be extended whilst standing vertically? The latter would be as dangerous as what I have to do presently but with even more of a turning moment to be resisted.

I make good use of a ladder stand off, can one be used with a cord operated extension ladder and how?

Finally I had an accident with my ladder 10 years ago, I was using it to its full extension and had extended the top section as far as I could reach and hooked it back on, not correctly as it turned out, then I lifted the combined middle and top sections as far as I could and correctly hooked them to the lower section, were I taller I could have got the ladder higher by 2 sections.

Not knowing the top section was not correctly engaged as I leaned the ladder from its precarious vertical position towards the wall the top section slid down like a gouillotine and sliced the side off my scalp.

I was knocked unconscious and came round lying on the floor and in my confused state was convinced that someone had crept up behind me and given me the good news with a baseball bat :o

On seeing the ladder sections around me and remembering why I was there the truth slowly dawned on me.

Be carefull Mickey!

Edited by J.R.
  • Sad 1

On 16/10/2020 at 13:07, Lee01 said:

Ladder, extension 5B ;) How high up's the guttering if they won't reach it? 

No mention of Tetra, then Lee?

On 16/10/2020 at 14:05, StickyMicky said:

OK, make that "need 2m more" ladder than the BT triples give me :)

I'll be using a standoff but the eaves are quite deep - nearly 3 feet in old money - which adds to the fun ...

Our old house was like that...   And was next to high street limes that the council hadnt pruned in about a dozen years...   Was a bugger to clean the gutters each year after we moved in so I eventually fitted some gutter guard which meant I only had to do it every few years.  Would suggest you do the same

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

Eh? The fish food or the milk cartons?

OH- I forgot- an ex sewer rat would not gen up on the safety procedures for being safe on ladders/up poles.

On 19/10/2020 at 00:11, VWD said:

OH- I forgot- an ex sewer rat would not gen up on the safety procedures for being safe on ladders/up poles.

I'm getting a bit fed up with your insults Victor. On the 8th of September without reason you called me an '[removed]' (trying to bypass the swear filter) and now it's 'sewer rat'.
I don't know what your issue is, but just cut it out. 

I have no idea what you mean by 'Tetra' as I've never heard of it until now. But, FYI, when climbing poles, three points of contact were always maintained, ladder tied at the top and fourth rung from bottom (over, under, around and above). Pole tested with a hammer to listen for a nice 'ring' and with a spike.
I suspect things have changed more than a little since your time. For a start we don't drive green Morris Minors with rubber wings anymore and safety harnesses have moved on from a simple leather belt.

Edited by john999boy
Updated quote

7 hours ago, skomaz said:

Tetra...

https://www.laddersafetysystems.co.uk/kits/

Correct?

Correct . Funny you can find it on a simple google, and I knew about . But then I try and keep abreast of safety developments. Unlike others. Even though my telecomms work has not required me to get off the ground for over a lot of years.

On 16/10/2020 at 14:06, J.R. said:

Finally I had an accident with my ladder 10 years ago, I was using it to its full extension and had extended the top section as far as I could reach and hooked it back on, not correctly as it turned out, then I lifted the combined middle and top sections as far as I could and correctly hooked them to the lower section, were I taller I could have got the ladder higher by 2 sections.

Not knowing the top section was not correctly engaged as I leaned the ladder from its precarious vertical position towards the wall the top section slid down like a gouillotine and sliced the side off my scalp.

I was knocked unconscious and came round lying o the floor and in my confused state was convinced that someone had crept up behind me and given me the good news with a baseball bat :o

On seeing the ladder sections around me and remembering why I was there the truth slowly dawned on me.

Be carefull Mickey!

Ouch!

Edited by skomaz