KESSY PROBLEMS

Tenchfisher

Has anybody had problems with their KAROQ'S KESSY?  Mine has been playing up recently, locking and unlocking the car on its own. At slow speeds (*under 10mph) it often locks and unlocks the doors repeatedly. Sometimes the key has to be used to lock or unlock the car and if I try to start the engine I get an advisory message that the key cannot be detected. If I then press unlock, I can start the engine. I have twice been locked out of the car, with the key still in it and have now had to make sure I always keep the key in my pocket when I get out of the car for any reason. My local dealer seems to be mystified by what is happening. 

Similar issues have started with mine the car locking for no reason when I’ve pressed the key to open or used the handle also the key cannot be detected message the car locking but the wing mirrors not folding in also. Mine is a November 2018 dsg Karoq sel 1.6 diesel

Jim69, just had my dealer come back to me to say that they are going to replace both door locks. They consulted a Skoda fault info site and the answer was replace the locks, They claim that they had not had this problem before, but I do wonder if this is another of those faults they keep quiet about. My Karoq is a May 2018 1,5 petrol. Prior to this I haven't had any problems with the car.

Cheers mate looks like a trip to the dealership for me only prior problems I’ve had with the car is the mirrors not closing in when the control knob is moved round to close them whilst driving and the dreaded stop start other than that really like the car 

I think that If the mirrors have been folded by the control knob, they will unfold into the normal position when the speed exceeds 15 km/h.

Not certain, though.

Edited by agedbriar

Not the case in my car was folding in no matter what the speed was when I first got the car after about a year now does it intermittently and what would be the point of having a knob to fold ure mirrors in then

Edited by Jim69

Yesterday got in and started car as normal, drove to local garden centre, turned off engine to be told that presence of key was not detected, change battery. Wife had her key with her, same message. Couldn't lock car. Started car using close proximity of key to button as advised a while back when my key failed (was replaced by Skoda, known problem with a dodgy batch!!) Replaced battery as adveised, no difference. Locked and unlocked on key. At one point when I unlocked it nothing appeared to happen but I opened door with handle and set off alarm!! Have checked batteries with meter, new one reads 3.25V, old ones 2.77V and 2.57V so should at least be able to flash a light!. Can't believe both keys would fail at the same time. Lets see what the dealer say's, apart from a hint that perhaps I should let a professional change the battery (avionics and electronic engineer before I retired!!)

Measuring the voltage of a battery alone can be misleading as you are reading the voltage with a high resistance voltmeter so the battery is effectively on open circuit ( i.e.no current flowing). Voltages of 2.77 and 2.5 are both low and suggest duff batteries.

Perhaps the fob is discharging your batteries? Even if the battery voltage read 3.0 volts there is still the possibility that it would not deliver sufficient current. 

• Like 3

I would dispute the voltage readings as indication that the batteries were unable to power the fob, and for two to fail at exactly the same time?? (New battery didn't cure the problem in either fob) However phone call from dealer tells me that one fob ( one that came with the car) has the same fault as the one that was replaced last year (duff batch). The replacement one is also faulty for reasons they could not tell me. So both are being replaced. They assure me the car is not the problem.

If KESSY had been an option on my new car, it's one I wouldn't have chosen! I'm quite happy to press a button to unlock my car, and KESSY seems to be more trouble than it's worth! I know you can disable the KESSY function each time you lock the car, but that doesn't help if the keys themselves are at fault. I wonder if you can order the normal keys if use those instead? 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, CJJE said:

If KESSY had been an option on my new car, it's one I wouldn't have chosen! I'm quite happy to press a button to unlock my car, and KESSY seems to be more trouble than it's worth! I know you can disable the KESSY function each time you lock the car, but that doesn't help if the keys themselves are at fault. I wonder if you can order the normal keys if use those instead? 

.....or perhaps there might be a way to disable the constant transmitting - 'cut the blue wire' ........ :biggrin:

2 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

They do now? After 15 mins stationary they turn off as a security measure so a car thief can’t boost the signal from inside your house to the car.

However I always double lock when walking away anyway.

If by double locking you mean pressing the lock button on the remote twice, this disables the deadlocks and also the internal monitoring of the alarm system.

19 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

After 15 mins stationary they turn off as a security measure so a car thief can’t boost the signal from inside your house to the car.

You are correct in saying that the keys stop transmitting, but it's 5 minutes, not 15.

This from Skoda's own press release:

"and the new version of the optional KESSY keyless vehicle entry system, in which the transmitter signal is deactivated if the key is not moved for five minutes."

I believe it applies for all new (Model year 21 on) KESSY equipped Skoda's. I first had it on my Karoq and It is on my new (MY21) Scala and can confirm KESSY works very well, and that so does the signal deactivation and is 5 minutes after the key last moves. Personally, I like the KESSY system. It's simple and (certainly for me) trouble free. 

Hope this helps...............Tony

• Like 1

I t was brought in some time ago as a security upgrade, and my car should have it as built after that date as a MY20 car. I must admit I have not been able to check? How would I do that?

Must have misread the 15 mins, 5 mins is even better. Still concerned that I could be walking from my car to the shop though past someone with a scanner who has watched what car i came in and is busy getting in as I walk away. Hence always secure lock by disabling the proximity sensor.

2 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

I must admit I have not been able to check? How would I do that?

Hi Ken

All I did was to lock the car with Kessy and then place the key alongside the drivers door on a worktop in my garage and waited >5 minutes without moving it. After the wait I attempted to open the car by grasping the handle (The normal Kessy way). The car did not unlock! I then moved the key a couple of inches and tried again & Voilá - it opened!

Hope it helps......Tony

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I will also try the above to test. All I could find via Skoda was the below which only mentions it is available on the Scala & Kamiq - seems odd to only mention those models??

ŠKODA SCALA and KAMIQ further refined
The engines fitted in the successful SCALA and KAMIQ compact models will also be converted to the Euro 6d standard for the 2021 model year, and subtle details will provide the finishing touches to the cars. The optional silver-coloured 17-inch Propus alloys are new, as is the Simply Clever multifunction storage pocket underneath the boot cover for stowing, for example, a coat. In the optional KESSY keyless vehicle entry system, the transmitter signal now deactivates if the key has not been moved for five minutes, instead of the previous 15 minutes

Edited by mistac

It was introduced in July 2019 for Karoq and Kodiaq MY20 cars, with the following statement from Skoda:

"KESSY with a motion sensor
ŠKODA is gradually equipping all of its models with the KESSY vehicle entry key with a motion sensor, thereby reducing the risk of the car being stolen or broken into. In this system, which is optional for the KAROQ and KODIAQ, the key’s transmitter signal switches off automatically after 15 minutes of no movement – if it is placed in a drawer or on a desk, for example. As soon as the key is moved again, the transmitter function is re-activated. The ŠKODA KAROQ or KODIAQ can then be opened conveniently as usual and switched on using the start button, without the need to take out the key.

See: ŠKODA KAROQ and KODIAQ enter 2020 model year with visual and technological enhancements - ŠKODA Storyboard (skoda-storyboard.com)

Edited by CJJE
More info added
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CJJE said:

It was introduced in July 2019 for Karoq and Kodiaq MY20 cars, with the following statement from Skoda:

"KESSY with a motion sensor
ŠKODA is gradually equipping all of its models with the KESSY vehicle entry key with a motion sensor, thereby reducing the risk of the car being stolen or broken into. In this system, which is optional for the KAROQ and KODIAQ, the key’s transmitter signal switches off automatically after 15 minutes of no movement – if it is placed in a drawer or on a desk, for example. As soon as the key is moved again, the transmitter function is re-activated. The ŠKODA KAROQ or KODIAQ can then be opened conveniently as usual and switched on using the start button, without the need to take out the key.

See: ŠKODA KAROQ and KODIAQ enter 2020 model year with visual and technological enhancements - ŠKODA Storyboard (skoda-storyboard.com)

i did try to find this info on google before posting - good job there are knowledgeable people like you are about !

• Like 1

The Skoda Storyboard website has quite a lot of useful news about their cars, and you can select them by model as well. You used to be able to see all the press releases too, but that bit seems to have been removed. 

There are rules for use with KESSY - which a lot of folk forget (and are not aware).

1) Make sure that you replace the batteries every 6 months with KESSY - the CR2025 batteries don't generally hold out that long and will give you no-notice of failure.

2) Make sure that you have a car faraday pouch for each key to keep them safe and stop them from broadcasting unnecessarily.

3) Make sure you DON'T keep the KESSY keys together - as they will needlessly waste electrical radio energy (and flatten the batteries even quicker). 

1.   My key battery is replaced by the dealer at the annual service.  My wife's key has given up once, I talked her through how to start the car and get home and then replaced the battery the following day. I now keep a spare battery in the car

2.   I have the older Kessy key without the motion sensor. I don't use a Faraday pouch, no need. 

Lock the car with the button on the key then within 5 seconds touch the lock sensor. This disables Kessy. the car can then only be unlocked by pressing the unlock button on the key.

tom 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi fellow karoq owners. Having commented a few times on the subject of kessy, key fobs, and securing my karoq, i can now update you with a little more info.

My last visit to the service dept was in January, and as many of you have already stated it was suggested the batteries were the issue. Even though i had fitted new ones b4 taking my car in. Anyway i gave them the benefit of doubt and drove my car away. Now i have recently taken my karoq for its 2nd service. Any issues sir came a question, my reply was yes, locking the car, be sure to have keys in your pocket when working on my car or you may find yourself locked out. Ok thanks for that well take a look. Later that day when i went to collect my car, i was told the drivers door mechanism was faulty and needs replacing (foc of course) . Job now done will see how we go...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Karoq 2018 4x4 2ltr tdi     Doors  lock automatic as they should after moving off, then while driving they keep unlocking and intermittent locking again, unable to lock with console button. Have had the car 6 months, fortunately repaired under warranty at the dealer. Two new door locks fitted.