Lane assist is dangerous

On 23/10/2020 at 13:59, Bill65 said:

I have only done about 500 miles in my new Kamiq and although in general I like the car I find the supposed safety systems range from annoying to downright dangerous. I consider the lane assist an irritant and switch it off on every journey however this morning I experienced a scary and dangerous incident involving the collision avoidance/ frontal assist.

Iwas travelling in a30 mph zone in our small town and the road was reasonably quiet when I saw a car approximately sixty yards in front of me onto our road. No problem the driver had plenty of time to make the manoeuvre and I was doing less than 30. However almost instantaneously a car drew up to a give way from a side road immediately to my near side and stopped in accordance with the give way markings. The emergency braking system in my car activated and more or less brought my car to an emergency stop. If anyone was on my tail it would almost certainly have resulted in a collision. 

I was so surprised at what had occurred it took me a while to fathom that it must have activated due to to the car pulling up to to the give way junction on my near side. I would stress that the other driver complied with the give way, came to a halt and did nothing wrong. Anyway I'm losing a bit of confidence in the car due to the supposed safety systems

You say driver did nothing wrong in pulling up to the junction but in my own similar experience  I find that many  young drivers arrive at junctions with great haste . Often one  wonders if they are going to drive onto the main road without stopping.  As for lane assist it just takes time and patience to get used to it

I have only done about 500 miles in my new Kamiq and although in general I like the car I find the supposed safety systems range from annoying to downright dangerous. I consider the lane assist an irritant and switch it off on every journey however this morning I experienced a scary and dangerous incident involving the collision avoidance/ frontal assist.

Iwas travelling in a30 mph zone in our small town and the road was reasonably quiet when I saw a car approximately sixty yards in front of me onto our road. No problem the driver had plenty of time to make the manoeuvre and I was doing less than 30. However almost instantaneously a car drew up to a give way from a side road immediately to my near side and stopped in accordance with the give way markings. The emergency braking system in my car activated and more or less brought my car to an emergency stop. If anyone was on my tail it would almost certainly have resulted in a collision. 

I was so surprised at what had occurred it took me a while to fathom that it must have activated due to to the car pulling up to to the give way junction on my near side. I would stress that the other driver complied with the give way, came to a halt and did nothing wrong. Anyway I'm losing a bit of confidence in the car due to the supposed safety systems

You say driver did nothing wrong in pulling up to the junction but in my own similar experience  I find that many  young drivers arrive at junctions with great haste . Often one  wonders if they are going to drive onto the main road without stopping.  As for lane assist it just takes time and patience to get used to it

• Like 2

1 hour ago, melbury said:

As for lane assist it just takes time and patience to get used to it

Sorry, if Lane Enforce worked correctly as a "safety device" there'd be no need to "get used to it" since it would never activate unless someone made a mistake.

14 hours ago, roottoot said:

'Which cars have Lane Enforce'?

Mistakes have nothing to do with it. 

It is supposed to be a 'nudge' not a self drive car taking control. 

@KenONeillhave you driven a car with Lane Keep Assist yet?

No of course not. We have been  over all this hundreds of times

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I sat in an audi with lane assist today and it worked perfectly as long as you do not go too close to the lines. So the only situation it might be difficult is when you go to the side to let motorcycles pass (more than 60km/h passing which is not permited here) or a quick manoevre to avoid something on the road. So honestly it is a great system to keep the people not using their blinkers aware and make the other drivers be safer as there are a lot of them not buying the blinkers 'option' => mostly BMW drivers :D

@KenONeill   So lets drop the Keep or Keeping as per this thread or as Skoda name their feature.

(It is my bad as my daily drive is a Vauxhall and the button is for Lane Keep Assist on or off and it stays on. but there are cars i drive with rubbing Lane Keeping Assist where it is used to switch it off sometimes.)

The question is the same have you driven a Skoda with Lane Assist or any vehicle with Lane Keep Assist?

LKAS =  Lane Keeping Assist Systems  is what is coming in as required as standard from the factory.

Edited by roottoot

• 3 months later...

I think the lane control is great on the motorway, it's just anoying on normal roads, for instance, coming to a point where the road norrows but remains as 2 lanes

due to bridge parapets, I have to move towards the white line, but the car insists on pushing me towards the brick parapets - not helpfull.

Yess on motorways it is good but annoying with all the working on the roads with new lines and old lines. We have returned the setting to late and works best that way all arround and i think they bumped up the minimum speed to activate lane assist via an update (now 70km/h i believe). if u have not changed the settings then it should allready be set on late. Maybe deactivate it on turn on via obd? i have no idea if changing it could give some issues with insurance or warranty. So maybe best to deactivate it manually every time.

It is not a legal requirement in the EU to have it until the next New Type Approved models come out and then it must for factory installed.

If legally it must be operational then it better be 'Fit for purpose' and that is an issue for VW Group they need to get on with addressing.

As to if now a Legal requirement on All New Cars in the UK like the media say, that would be all New Type Approved cars and they seem not sure if the DfT in the UK just went with the EU rules, but the cars will be EU Type Approved anyway no matter where built so they will have the New latest Safety Systems the EU brought in even when they might be crap and badly designed or operating.

Just thought I'd share my experience of it. We had a VW T-Cross hire car for a week while our car was in the garage.

I wouldn't say this system is dangerous... but like with most electronic assistants it has it's time and place which is why you have the option to turn it off.

I initally didn't put any thought into it since we'd driven on wide open national speed limit roads etc.

But at some point we got into the country with some narrow roads that had a white line down the side but non in the middle. So to pass other vehicles you'd have to drive on the white line in order to make room.

Obviously the lane assist didn't like this and it felt pretty horrible trying to move over to pass vehicles and having the steering wheel push me back out. So a bit of fumbling with the buttons on the wheel I managed to turn it off. And it's one of those things that once you've done it once it literally took a couple of seconds to do again.

All in all I think it's a good system. In the real world people can get distracted and it only takes a couple of seconds to wander to the side and at least the system could prevent an accident in these cases. Or even someone drifting off to sleep, maybe that nudge from the wheel would be enough to wake them.

1 hour ago, Phil-E said:

Just thought I'd share my experience of it. We had a VW T-Cross hire car for a week while our car was in the garage.

I wouldn't say this system is dangerous... but like with most electronic assistants it has it's time and place which is why you have the option to turn it off.

I initally didn't put any thought into it since we'd driven on wide open national speed limit roads etc.

But at some point we got into the country with some narrow roads that had a white line down the side but non in the middle. So to pass other vehicles you'd have to drive on the white line in order to make room.

Obviously the lane assist didn't like this and it felt pretty horrible trying to move over to pass vehicles and having the steering wheel push me back out. So a bit of fumbling with the buttons on the wheel I managed to turn it off. And it's one of those things that once you've done it once it literally took a couple of seconds to do again.

All in all I think it's a good system. In the real world people can get distracted and it only takes a couple of seconds to wander to the side and at least the system could prevent an accident in these cases. Or even someone drifting off to sleep, maybe that nudge from the wheel would be enough to wake them.

When it’s like that I turn my indicator on

On 01/05/2022 at 18:39, melbury said:

As for lane assist it just takes time and patience to get used to it

I'm old and am bedevilled by lower back pain and sciatica in my left leg telling me that there is a problem. I've got used to that just the same as I have the PITA lane assist 😁

p.s. I think the car has realised that it is no longer annoying me so it's started putting up a large red proximity warning everytime I pass a centre bollard 200 yards up the road from me.

Edited by longedge

• 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, carefree said:

Just turn it off mate, or am I missing something?

It's my fault. I tend to forget that I need to spend a while waiting for the system to boot up and load my profile at which point I can then go into the menu/settings and switch the driver assistance options off together with the stop/start. Then I have to adjust the self lowering seat backrest. I can't get out of that old habit of getting into the car, starting the engine and driving off.

The lane assist in my car picks up joins in the tarmac which is a bit unsettling. Joining the M53 at junction 12 is particularly bad as the join runs diagonally from right to left telling me that I need to go onto the hard shoulder. I try to cancel it each time I start the car but sometimes forget.

2 hours ago, cestrian said:

The lane assist in my car picks up joins in the tarmac which is a bit unsettling. Joining the M53 at junction 12 is particularly bad as the join runs diagonally from right to left telling me that I need to go onto the hard shoulder. I try to cancel it each time I start the car but sometimes forget.

Happens with mine I just indicate turns it off. Your going to indicate to enter the motorway so jus do it earlier 

2 hours ago, KenONeill said:

But it does.

Yes, we know; that's why it's dangerous.

This is getting silly. Yes, I know some accept it is dangerous. I was responding to a reply that inferred that all I had to do to stop it being dangerous was to use the indicator. I do know that using the indicator cancels out the lane guidance. There should be a choice in the menu to have the default setting as 'off'.

The simple reason that 'Off' was not available as a default setting was that the Manufacturers which in this case is Skoda / VW Group were developing and using customers as the road test dummies before the Lane Keep Assist became mandatory from the factory.

'Off' is still an option once new Type Approved cars have the systems as standard. 

'Drive safely, drive in control, you decide how your car goes down the road, you have the license and can lose it'.

Muppets who might be politicians that might not even drive cars decided on the introduction of the new safety features.

http://bikeradar.com/features/lane-keeping-assist-cyclists

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I nearly had an accident because of it  (Octavia IV) - when you`re driving on a 2-lane road and have a slow moving object in front (was a bus in my case) and you`re doing like 30-40 lane asshole is off. Then, putting second to overtake I go into the opposite lane and because my speed is now above 55 lane asshole is on and tried to keep me in the opposite lane against an incoming vehicle. Indeed, I`ve had the car for about 7k km now and I`ve never ever had so many freaky situations since I drive and all were caused by the lane asshole.

• Like 2