Workshop only leave vehicle in P

I had an error a few weeks ago and then it went. Today it’s every time I go to drive - I start the car drive a few yards and it comes on. 
I’ve read it’s a common fault on the DSG’s - can anyone point me to the info I need to go armed to the dealer with I’ve had the car I’ve 3 months! It’s second hand done 25k - I’ve done about 2000 miles since I got it end of July. I’ve got a 12 month warranty with the car from The Skoda dealer hoping they can fix it.

So annoyed taken the shine off my lovely car 

thanks 

Catherine 

D5F875DC-0314-461C-8049-78EA8D16C053.jpeg

3BD24AED-8BB9-4C3F-8400-9399F132BDC1.png

Sounds like a common issue, see this thread for a recent explanation:

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/484926-gearbox-error-message/

yours is the same age as mine and you’ve done similar miles as me (got mine mid September) so I’m just waiting until I get this on mine....

already had the electric window switch failure that’s being fixed next Monday!

• john999boy changed the title to Workshop only leave vehicle in P
40 minutes ago, SkudMissile21 said:

Sounds like a common issue, see this thread for a recent explanation:

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/484926-gearbox-error-message/

yours is the same age as mine and you’ve done similar miles as me (got mine mid September) so I’m just waiting until I get this on mine....

already had the electric window switch failure that’s being fixed next Monday!

What was the window doing? Sure my driver one is going weird! 

I’m so annoyed! Right before lockdown as well I don’t even know if they will fix it during or if they have to shut down 

57 minutes ago, short1uk said:

What was the window doing? Sure my driver one is going weird! 

I’m so annoyed! Right before lockdown as well I don’t even know if they will fix it during or if they have to shut down 

Wouldn’t open at all one evening trying to get in my work security gate!

Discovered  the one touch function (2nd position furthest press of the switch) is intermittent while the 1st position usually works but not always. I went through the reset process (open then close window fully and hold the button up for several seconds) on all four windows and it worked for about a day then went intermittent again.

I managed to get VCDS screenshots of all four switches showing “implausible” status when pressed fully down and also got several videos showing them either not working or taking several presses before they did operate. Also found sometimes the window would “jerk” down while the button was held down steadily.

luckily the dealer saw the videos and did their own tests to confirm it as a faulty switch cluster so it’s being replaced under warranty on Monday.

9A953DBA-D044-4E25-B0DE-030313BB5BBC.jpeg

BCAF9604-8E7F-4060-A5C2-2FDDF4C785EB.jpeg

87C8FAED-F0A0-4E00-ACBA-664E40950176.jpeg

C9341D39-5F38-4BFB-B371-2C872D7E5DF0.jpeg

Edited by SkudMissile21

1 minute ago, SkudMissile21 said:

Wouldn’t open at all one evening trying to get in my work security gate!

Discovered  the one touch function (2nd position furthest press of the switch) is intermittent while the 1st position usually works but not always. I went through the reset process (open then close window fully and hold the button up for several seconds) on all four windows and it worked for about a day then went intermittent again.

I managed to get VCDS screenshots of all four switches showing “implausible” status when pressed fully down and also got several videos showing them either not working or taking several presses before they did operate. Also found sometimes the window would “jerk” down while the button was held down steadily.

luckily the dealer saw the videos and did their own tests to confirm it as a faulty switch cluster so it’s being replaced under warranty on Monday.

Pretty sure I got that n all

what do I need buy to read these codes? 

• 1 year later...

I managed to fix this myself. 2018 (67) Octavia with 25k. I’ve been driving it a year with the error- doesn’t cause any issues other than the irritating ping and engine light but as I want to swap cars soon I thought I’d get it sorted. Removing the console cover is easy as just pull the gear knob cover up and then the panel underneath to expose the top of the gearbox. Mine was black so I ordered part 5Q0713128A. If it’s white it’s part 3Q0713128A.

There is one horizontal torx screw that needs to be removed - (I’ve drawn an arrow where it is) - to access normally mean removing all the central console which was going to be a right pain so I drilled a small 5 mm to the left side in line with the screw and inserted long torx driver to reach the screw.
94FA16D6-0A93-463E-85E6-4E97A714541E.thumb.jpeg.98c704f82de66d8c38faca9b206ee1cf.jpeg

Wiring is pretty straightforward- it’s just a bypass cable. As per 2nd pic the switch fits on top of the gearbox - the one screw removed needs to go back in once the new switch is in place and holds it i with some additional clips to use once happy with the position. Then there’s a torx on top to adjust the contact so the stick is snug against the micro switch. I thought maybe I’d not fitted it correctlyas the error still came up but a quick drive around the block cleared it.

Note: before fitting I did tape up the stick hole to ensure I didn’t drop  anything into it.

Picture of switch mounted

D259C58C-BDFB-42F3-8781-3DB7835BA29D.thumb.jpeg.97885088a7a5a5fcf9d62fb1d5835dea.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Beermatt said:

I managed to fix this myself. 2018 (67) Octavia with 25k. I’ve been driving it a year with the error- doesn’t cause any issues other than the irritating ping and engine light but as I want to swap cars soon I thought I’d get it sorted. Removing the console cover is easy as just pull the gear knob cover up and then the panel underneath to expose the top of the gearbox. Mine was black so I ordered part 5Q0713128A. If it’s white it’s part 3Q0713128A.

There is one horizontal torx screw that needs to be removed - (I’ve drawn an arrow where it is) - to access normally mean removing all the central console which was going to be a right pain so I drilled a small 5 mm to the left side in line with the screw and inserted long torx driver to reach the screw.
94FA16D6-0A93-463E-85E6-4E97A714541E.thumb.jpeg.98c704f82de66d8c38faca9b206ee1cf.jpeg

Wiring is pretty straightforward- it’s just a bypass cable. As per 2nd pic the switch fits on top of the gearbox - the one screw removed needs to go back in once the new switch is in place and holds it i with some additional clips to use once happy with the position. Then there’s a torx on top to adjust the contact so the stick is snug against the micro switch. I thought maybe I’d not fitted it correctlyas the error still came up but a quick drive around the block cleared it.

Note: before fitting I did tape up the stick hole to ensure I didn’t drop  anything into it.

Picture of switch mounted

D259C58C-BDFB-42F3-8781-3DB7835BA29D.thumb.jpeg.97885088a7a5a5fcf9d62fb1d5835dea.jpeg

Mine needed the whole gear assembly they said - couple grand! Thank god for the extended warranty 

• 3 months later...

My car is a 2017 Octavia 7 speed DSG with 40K on the clock.  I have had this fault intermittently for about a year.    Just been on a driving holiday and it didn't appear once.  Booked it in with Skoda yesterday as I am on extended warranty.  No fault shows when they do the diagnostics and I am informed that quite a few customers have the same problem!  It was suggested that the next time it happens, I drive it to Skoda and leave the ignition on so they can see the fault, otherwise they cannot fix it under the warranty as they don't know if it's a microswitch or the whole gear assembly.    Am I OK to ignore it or will I break down on a journey at some stage?

Edited by freeb1rd

1 minute ago, freeb1rd said:

My car is a 2017 Octavia 7 speed DSG with 40K on the clock.  I have had this fault intermittently for about a year.    Just been on a driving holiday and it didn't appear once.  Booked it in with Skoda yesterday as I am on extended warranty.  No fault shows when they do the diagnostics and I am informed that quite a few customers have the same problem!  It was suggested that the next time it happens, I drive it to Skoda and leave the ignition on so they can see the fault, otherwise they cannot fix it under the warranty as they don't know if it's a microswitch or the whole gear assembly.    Am I OK to ignore it or will I break down on a journey at some stage?

It won’t damage anything they said to me but mine wasn’t on either I just filmed it as I turned it on in a morning and slowly went down my road and it did it. 

2 minutes ago, freeb1rd said:

I showed them a picture of it, but they still said if no code is showing, nothing they can do under warranty.

As you can see from this document, not saying it applies to your DSG, but their hands are tied if they cannot read the code, then warranty will reject the claim.

This means you or the dealer would have to pocket the bill.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, freeb1rd said:

Mine was intermittent for ages but then became permanent. I carried in using it anyway without any issues.  Just have to take care you don’t leave the car in D or R when you park up as you can turn the ignition off and remove the key in this position! Mine was out of warranty and I didn’t fancy paying the stealers £300+ to sort it hence I bought the part myself. If you’re handy with a screwdriver it’s an easy fix. 

51 minutes ago, freeb1rd said:

It won’t damage anything they said to me but mine wasn’t on either I just filmed it as I turned it on in a morning and slowly went down my road and it did it. 

Mine needed the whole new gear assembly not the little micro switch thankfully the used car warranty sorted it. Mine was intermittent at first then got worse and worse. Then when I went to show them it did it so they saw it for themselves and it shows on the screen too the error with the steering wheel orange 

That’s good it showed the error especially with warranty making it difficult without. Bit of a disgrace really as the issue is well known to Skoda/VW so they’re just trying to get out of it. I didn’t get the orange steering wheel. Just the orange triangle!! Before and after pics

EB73DB04-34A5-47B2-82A8-AB271E71728D.jpeg

3B343767-6ADB-4C86-81A8-24E34D29DA37.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Is there a fix without changing microswitch?  Something like using vcds to disable this error from showing?

My car is old now and out of warranty and the gearbox is blocked physically with anti-theft protection so I cannot replace the microswitch.

https://imgur.com/a/0o3MZKI