17” to 16” wheels. Scout 2016

Hi, 

Recently exchanged my 2012 4x4 2.0 TDI estate for a 2016 Scout DSG .

The ride quality on my old Octavia was superb running on 195/65/15 tyres. I wish I could say the same for the Scout. I find it way too firm on its 225/50/17 tyres. Not quite ‘crashy’,  just way to firm for our potholed Skye single track roads.

I am considering dropping to 16” wheels and fitting 215/60/16 tyres in an effort to improve the ride quality. Llias or Star wheels potentially.

Before I spend over a thousand pounds on new wheels and tyres, has anybody gone down this route, or have any considered opinions on the matter ? 

Thanks.

Thanks for the speedy reply. Current tyres are Pirelli P7’s , ‘V’ rated.

If I do change the wheels I will fit all season tyres, Michelin Cross Climate or Goodyear Vector. I have used these before and really rate them.

I will look in the for sale section. Thank you.

5 hours ago, Redron said:

Hi, 

Recently exchanged my 2012 4x4 2.0 TDI estate for a 2016 Scout DSG .

The ride quality on my old Octavia was superb running on 195/65/15 tyres. I wish I could say the same for the Scout. I find it way too firm on its 225/50/17 tyres. Not quite ‘crashy’,  just way to firm for our potholed Skye single track roads.

I am considering dropping to 16” wheels and fitting 215/60/16 tyres in an effort to improve the ride quality. Llias or Star wheels potentially.

Before I spend over a thousand pounds on new wheels and tyres, has anybody gone down this route, or have any considered opinions on the matter ? 

Thanks.

What is the diameter of your front brake discs?

340mm diameter front brake discs need at least 17" wheels.

312mm diameter front brake discs need at least 16" wheels.

288mm diameter front brake discs need at least 15" wheels.

Star rims have a specification of 6Jx16 ET48 5/112 57.1

https://eshop.skoda-auto.sk/en_SK/alloy-wheel-star-16-for-octavia-iii/p/5E0071494A+8Z8

Ilias rims have a specification of 6.5Jx16 ET46 5/112 57.1

215/60R16 will bulge out more on 6J rims than 6.5J rims and therefore better protect the rims from kerbing damage.

Fitting 215/60R16 to narrower 6J rims will improve the ride compared to fitting this size to wider 6.5J rims.

If you have 340mm diameter front discs, 16" wheels won't clear the front brake calipers.

Edited by Carlston

My winter tires on Scout 2016 2.0TDI 184ps are 6,5Jx16. The front discs are 312 mm, so as already mentioned, the 16 inch rims are the smallest possible option.

I think only the VRS has 340 mm disc, but I can’t tell you for sure.

I bought some old rims from Octavia MK2 and put Pirelli Sottozero3 215/60R16 on them.
Note that original sizes which you will find next to the fuel filler cap is 205/55R16 and 225/50R17. But the closest diameter and best comfort is with 215/60R16, IMO. 

• Like 1

My 2016 Scout was exactly the same.  The ride was terrible.  I don't think changing the tyres will change much.  I say that because on my 2019 Scout, the ride quality on the same tyres (17") is far far better.  I think if you want to improve the ride, you should improve the suspension springs.

Thank you for the input folks. Interesting to hear the mk4 version rides much better and the difference in rim diameters.

I will see how I get on before I spend on new wheels or a new car !

• Like 1

Just a thought, but  changing the wheels/tyres may mean an overall change in diameter and therefore a change in distance traveled per revolution, which could mean a change to and speed indication on the dash. I only say this as I came across this on a kit car I built where the speedo cable came from the gear box, I was doing 40 according to the dash, the kind Police officer said I was doing nearer 43 or more. He let me off when he understood what had happened but I needed to have the speedo re-calibrated. No idea where the indicated speed comes from these days with fly-by-wire and such like.

Indeed. Easy enough to find a ‘tyre size converter’ on the web. Apparently you can go to plus or minus 2% . So changing from 225/50/17 tyres I have a few options but my choice would be 215/60/16 , which gives me near enough the same speedo reading (iirc). I had a pal sat along side me with his Garmin sat nav measuring my true speed. At an indicated 70mph my actual speed was nearer 66mph. I am pretty sure manufacturers calibrate their Speedos deliberately optimistic, and certainly not the other way... for obvious reasons.

18 minutes ago, Redron said:

I am pretty sure manufacturers calibrate their Speedos deliberately optimistic, and certainly not the other way... for obvious reasons.

It's a requirement to get Type Approval for speedos to read between 0% and 10% over, typically most manufacturers calibrate them to read 5% over to allow for tyre wear and different wheel/tyre sizes without having to recalibrate.

On 21/12/2020 at 20:54, fr1nklyn said:

My winter tires on Scout 2016 2.0TDI 184ps are 6,5Jx16. The front discs are 312 mm, so as already mentioned, the 16 inch rims are the smallest possible option.

I think only the VRS has 340 mm disc, but I can’t tell you for sure.

I bought some old rims from Octavia MK2 and put Pirelli Sottozero3 215/60R16 on them.
Note that original sizes which you will find next to the fuel filler cap is 205/55R16 and 225/50R17. But the closest diameter and best comfort is with 215/60R16, IMO. 

And did you notice any appreciable difference in ride comfort ?  

6 hours ago, Redron said:

And did you notice any appreciable difference in ride comfort ?  

Not much honestly speaking :/ By its nature the winter tires are softer than the summer ones, but I can’t say it’s much better with 215/60/16 over the 225/50/17.

Some say that lower speed rating provides better comfort( H instead of V or W ). But even with 99H it’s not great. It’s a Golf-based platform after all.

I put higher tires for winters because the roads in my country aren’t the best, especially when you live somewhere in the suburbs.. :)

On 24/12/2020 at 14:02, Redron said:

I have a few options but my choice would be 215/60/16

FWIW Official 16" tyre size for the MY16 Scout would be 205/60/16 92V. on a 6Jx16 wheel et48. In theory that gives clearance for snow chains

Out of interest I have a MY16 4x4 but not a Scout. I find it rides fine on the factory 18" wheels, maybe a little better on the 17" winter wheels but the handling suffers. I am glad to get back on the 18s come the spring. Back lanes down south are not as good as you would think, plenty of pot holes here too. I did a long test-drive in a Scout at the time and it rode better than mine.

Are you sure it has original suspension?

You may find a more compliant tyre would help, Michelins have a reputation for being on the softer side. That is what I have on the 18"

Final thought, the Scout 17" is meant to have 50 section tyres, has someone fitted 45 by mistake which was standard on all other Octavias?

Snow chains

The snow chains improve driving in wintry road conditions. Before fitting the snow chains, remove the full wheel trims. Snow chains must only be fitted on the front wheels and are applicable only to the following tyre/rim combinations.

Octavia MK3 Scout

(a) 205/55R16 6Jx16 ET48

(a) 205/55R16 6Jx16 ET50

(b) 205/60R16 6Jx16 ET48

(a) 205/50R17 6Jx17 ET45

(a) 205/50R17  6Jx17 ET48

(b) 205/55R17 6Jx17 ET48

Notes:

(a) Only fit snow chains with links and locks no larger than 12 mm

(b) Only fit snow chains with links and locks no larger than 9 mm.

The above information about tyre and rim combinations for snow chains is in the owner's manual on page 282.

https://ws.skoda-auto.com/OwnersManualService/Data/en/Octavia_5E/07-2019/Manual/Octavia/A7_Octavia_OwnersManual.pdf?_ga=2.107158530.1213152461.1608930222-dfe66703-8989-42cc-99fc-86d69f1fa428

Edited by Carlston

Snow chains certainly do not have to be fitted only to the front of a vehicle with Haldex.  Read the owners manual.   It is a font of knowledge.   Beware of duff advice that might be on social media from people you do not know. 

Beware of advice given that is just from an Owners Manual.

See page 282. 

Also read about TC off when snow chains fitted where that might be in an owners manual.   *Especially VW group owners manuals.*

Best sometimes to question what is in the owners manuals.  Especially Re snow chains fitted to AWD vehicles. 4x4,s. 

If you have ever had to drive in serious conditions with snow chains just on the front of a part time AWD vehicle you might well know to ignore Skoda / VW advice / recommendations.

Yeti. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/369409-snow-chains-2255017-tyres

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/411975-snow-chains

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/368011-snow-chains-front-only

Screenshot 2020-12-26 at 08.08.48.png

Edited by e-Roottoot

Hey no offense, but don’t tell me that someone still uses the old metal-style chains requiring much more effort to be placed compared to the plastic ones. Sometimes it’s even painful when the outside temperature is cold. Not to mention that there is no way to teach my wife how to do it... :dull:

There is no size issue with the plastic ones. And also they require almost no spaces, allowing you to put them beside the spare wheel. Get set of them and forget about it.

I’m not saying that the Scout has bad ride, just saying it’s not something special. I do own an old Audi A4 B7 Avant as well, and the ride is much better compared to the Scout. But I think the suspension is more complicated and therefore expensive than the Octavia’s.

If you have the extra money and space to park it, go for a Superb for better comfort - there is huge difference between both cars :)

Of course, ‘ride quality’ is so subjective. My initial post that my 2012 4x4 was infinitely better than the Scout . It was on Michelin Cross Climate tyres so I may try these next on the Scout.  In truth, I won’t be rushing to change the car anytime soon, but when I do I will be doing more test drives. The Superb is on the ‘list’, but they are huge, and there is only two of us and the dog.

I recently put a set of Michelin Cross Climates on my wife’s Yaris, they have improved both the ride and cabin noise immensely over the Bridgestone tyres it previously had.

Don’t underestimate the difference a quality set of tyres can make, I’ll be putting Michelins on my Scout once the present set of Continentals have worn out...

Agreed. We bought our 2012 Octavia new with Bridgestone touranza (?) fitted. We then fitted the Michelin’s and were amazed at the difference, especially the lack of road noise. Very impressive for all season tyres. We have Goodyear Vectors fitted to the Roomster and they are good too. Usually some good offers on both at ‘Black Circles’ if you buy four at once.