car recommendation?

froggy8

30 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

hi guys

i cant seem to find ay skodas nearby, what do you guys think to the vauxhall zaafira or mavira?

Come home to a real fire, buy a Zafira...

Are you kidding me, Vauxhall are probably the least reliable cars on the road!

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

hi guys

i cant seem to find ay skodas nearby, what do you guys think to the vauxhall zaafira or mavira?

I know they've cancelled HS2 but surely there's a decent public transport network covering Yorkshire and Lancashire, try further afield!

Just now, sepulchrave said:

Come home to a real fire, buy a Zafira...

Are you kidding me, Vauxhall are probably the least reliable cars on the road!

ok thanks

i will keep looking and post on here.

1 hour ago, froggy8 said:

hi guys

Depressing.

If you're looking for a cheap car that probably won't bankrupt you with repairs, look into an older avensis. They were popular with cabbies for a reason.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, froggy8 said:

hi guys

Our 2001 Vectra was alright, but it wouldn't have set the world on fire, unlike the Zafira, which most definitely will. As @DieselMonte says, Avensis, Corolla, etc aren't going to go too far wrong compared to other cars, but it's just a luck of the draw at this point. Sep is also right in saying that you should go further afield as well when looking, it allows you to leave your options a little more open and you're more likely to find something a bit more reasonable, perhaps.

There you go, an Avensis.

On 02/04/2022 at 19:57, froggy8 said:

just googled what brand cars is most reliable and it says either lexas or Toyota.

Yes of course (generally, there are a few exceptions) and Honda - there are very good reasons for this, they make good long lasting cars (not usually exciting).  Lower will be the German cars despite what many will say, and many on here, don't be fooled by old out of date reputations of build quality and reliability - otherwise you'd never look at a Skoda.  Avoid vanity marques the owners pretend they're so good only to keep the resale prices up.

BUT it's all about condition and history (if any is relevant and available) particularly more recent.  And bear in mind a very well made car in the hands of poor quality owners can end up bad and not so well made cars with really good owners could be much better prospects.

You won't get much for your money if you don't widen your choices and mind, don't worry about pleasing others with the maker's badge on your car.  Old vehicles, perhaps even older than you think old, before the insane amount of computers can be good to run, less to go wrong with less computers too.

You may be better off buying an 'unpopular' make and/or model that is lowed priced only for the reason of popularity - Britain is very snobbish, many here will remember when Skoda was literally a joke to the British, well media with other manufacture's advertising to consider.  The popular cars are often so not for good reasons.  And it might be you get better value by buying a vehicle below your £1,500 budget, but even if you had a much higher budget it's all a bit of a gamble, less so for an old Lexus, Toyota or Honda.

Cabin room can vary greatly with some smaller cars having almost as much as the bigger cars, some 5 seater cars are more accommodating than others with even some large car cabins not being roomy for all and comfortable 4 seaters with an uncomfortable 5th seat.

With a limited budget running costs are also a lot more important, real world mpg (not made up VW and others stuff), road tax, insurance and as you well known costs of servicing, maintenance and repairs, parts costs and availability.

Based on the two 20 year old Toyotas I know, which are used and just about annually serviced and almost really nothing more during ,and the 19 year old Honda, that's where I'd start but also look at weird names the key-ring pub car bores don't have, Ssangyong even done 7-seaters but do your research, I've not had a 4-seater since my Capri. 😄

Edited by nta16
spelling
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Our 2001 Vectra was alright, but it wouldn't have set the world on fire, unlike the Zafira, which most definitely will. As @DieselMonte says, Avensis, Corolla, etc aren't going to go too far wrong compared to other cars, but it's just a luck of the draw at this point. Sep is also right in saying that you should go further afield as well when looking, it allows you to leave your options a little more open and you're more likely to find something a bit more reasonable, perhaps.

There you go, an Avensis.

i quite like that avensis but trying to find one with a big back.

what do you think to this one?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202203284025403?sort=distance&price-to=1500&max-engine-power=150&advertising-location=at_cars&price-from=500&radius=1500&postcode=pl158ds&min-engine-power=100&only-delivery-option=on&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&page=1&percentVehiclePriceDeposit=true

they offer delivery too

On 03/04/2022 at 15:21, froggy8 said:

what do you guys think to the vauxhall zaafira

As @sepulchravesaid "Come home to a real fire, buy a Zafira". This isn't even a joke; I nicked into the local Co-op to buy my tea one night, and there was a Zafira parked outside. When I came back out, it was more or less burnt out.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, KenONeill said:

As @sepulchravesaid "Come home to a real fire, buy a Zafira". This isn't even a joke; I nicked into the local Co-op to buy my tea one night, and there was a Zafira parked outside. When I came back out, it was more or less burnt out.

My Mum used to work for Arnold Clark doing area work mostly as a Servicing Administrator. One of the branches (think it was Ayr Ford, who keep the stock for all the dealers as well) had a pair of Zafiras (IIRC) spontaneously combust, taking out quite a few customer's cars and others on the forecourt.

On 04/04/2022 at 17:34, froggy8 said:

ok found a volkswagon one, heard the company have bought skoda so basically the same company as skoda

If it's as described, my biggest issue is the contact number being a mobile.

• Like 1

unfortunately you are in the "low budget, limited options, anyhring could happen" category on this purchase. 

i know we discussed that vrs in the mk1 section the other, didnt rwalise there was a second conversation going on about it. 

reality is any car you pick up in this price range could be an epic disaster waiting to happen or a work horse that plods on for thousands of hassle free miles. everything is going to have little niggly rattles, and wear and tear things to be dealt with or lived with. the fun part is not knowing for sure which you'll get....

like a pack of match attacks cards :D

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

ok guys, an update:

got myself a vauxhall insignia 1.8.

checked everything over, took it for a drive then once i got home, i checked the oil and water and noticed the coolant was low so topped it up then kept going back down so anyway found out its a blown head gasket as teh coolant is going through the exhaust. 

that is my luck with cars 😞 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, BJM said:

No.

Thats because you bought a Vauxhall, or more specifically an Insignia.

yup... 

i had one, a diesel... it ate its own big end block bearings. the radiator sprung a leak. the egr may have had a problem (never got to look at it properly), the alarm developed a fault, the boost actuator solenoid stopped working intermittently, the aux belt tensioner failed, the dmf started to self destruct....

all with less than 130k miles on it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, froggy8 said:

ok guys, an update:

got myself a vauxhall insignia 1.8.

checked everything over, took it for a drive then once i got home, i checked the oil and water and noticed the coolant was low so topped it up then kept going back down so anyway found out its a blown head gasket as teh coolant is going through the exhaust. 

that is my luck with cars 😞 

back to from whence it came and start looking for money back.

the HG didnt fail on the drive home, that was sold with the fault, no way it wasnt known about...

• Like 3

yep private.

i messaged him as son as i picked the car up. alarm should have been ringing when the car wasnt parked at his house, he told me he left it by the garage. i didnt think anything of it.

On 26/04/2022 at 08:21, mac11irl said:

yup... 

i had one, a diesel... it ate its own big end block bearings. the radiator sprung a leak. the egr may have had a problem (never got to look at it properly), the alarm developed a fault, the boost actuator solenoid stopped working intermittently, the aux belt tensioner failed, the dmf started to self destruct....

all with less than 130k miles on it.

My Grampa bought a whole string of CDTI 2.0 Insignias, never such engine issues funnily enough, but he doesn't have a car long enough or do the mileage for anything to arise really, he's on a 'new shape' 69-reg one, mostly for towing. The first (a '59' reg) 2.0 CTDI didn't make it past his ownership from what we can tell though. My psycho neighbour (long story) also had one that died right outside our driveway, her and her fella have a petrol one now.

I wouldn't buy an Insignia even if you paid me. My Grampa's 59-reg and 63-reg ones were plagued with software issues. I've seen more stable versions of Windows Millennium by Christ. :D