Radio issue

Hi all,  new owner of a mk1 fabia vrs, i have been a member of this group for a little while as i used to have a mkfl otcy vrs and a mk3 superb 220 sportline. 

So few issues with the fabia which i am not sure.  The radio does not turn off when ignition is off. I have to press the middle button to manually turn it off. Its a standard radio. Surely this cant be right?? 

Also the cubby compartment to the right of the steering wheel under the dash doesnt stay shut. Is there a fix for this?  Or is it a replacement. If so is standard fabia part same as the vrs? 

Tia

Adrian

Check the part number printed somewhere on the cubby and buy one with exactly the same number. 

Think the pre and post facelift versions may be different, not sure.

But also check whether it's something on the cubby that's broken, or something on the bit it clips into.

Edited by Wino

Going off with ignition implies when you turn the key all the way anticlockwise, rather than removing the key; which do you mean?

Is it an OEM radio or aftermarket?, if the latter it has probably been wired in wrongly, they generally are.

ii4c on my old mk1 octy if there wasnt a "clink" pulling out the key so that the keyhole cover clicked shut the radio would occasionally stay on. as if the car thinks the key is still in until that covers drops. 

a shot of contact cleaner and jiggle solved the sticky cover and solved the radio. 

it may be the same?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adrian55555 said:

Just that damn cubby compartment to sort now

On mine (2003) there are two metal spring clips that hold the cubby closed. Maybe one or both of yours are missing? I think I remember that one of my clips once fell out and I had to refit it. Yours might be slightly different being a vRS with the air outlet thingy in the cubby as mine doesn't have that but it should be something similar.

Just gone out in the cold and rain to take a pic for you...

SS854101.jpg

Edited by TMB
  • Like 1

Here's a pic of one from ebay which has the air outlet. You can clearly see one of the metal clips with the other one possibly missing in this case. Unfortunately, I can't see the clips listed as a separate part on ETKA, so if you need some you might have to get them from a scrap car, or maybe Skoda might be able to get them.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by TMB

8 hours ago, TMB said:

On mine (2003) there are two metal spring clips that hold the cubby closed. Maybe one or both of yours are missing? I think I remember that one of my clips once fell out and I had to refit it. Yours might be slightly different being a vRS with the air outlet thingy in the cubby as mine doesn't have that but it should be something similar.

Just gone out in the cold and rain to take a pic for you...

SS854101.jpg

Thank you so much for that, ill take a look when i get home from work. I dint remember seeing those clips last time i looked so i reckon it is them thats missing

• Like 1

Hi Adrian, unfortunately my son disposed of the original radio much to my disappointment now that the car is mine, he fitted an after market one , this one does turn off when I remove the ignition key but bleeps as it powers down which is annoying.

Nice looking Vrs.  

Martin

2 hours ago, kentdale said:

Hi Adrian, unfortunately my son disposed of the original radio much to my disappointment now that the car is mine, he fitted an after market one , this one does turn off when I remove the ignition key but bleeps as it powers down which is annoying.

Nice looking Vrs.  

Martin

Managed to sort radio issue out thank. It was just something i knew id forget and come back after work to a dead car!  I will probably change it to an aftermarket one sometime in the future. 

And yes the car isnt too shabby, 1 owner from new and fsh i have stacks of paperwork. The only thing thats been changed is the interior to the mk2 monte carlo seats front and rear and the wind deflectors. 

Adrian

• Like 1