system update mib 3

6 minutes ago, linni said:

No, this was not Skoda Esonia, it was Skoda global.

VW has different aproach, Skoda probably is trying to reduce the profit loss caused by selling cars cheaper.

This was the situation in the UK back in November 2019:

Cost of map updates - Skoda Audio, Electronics and Security - BRISKODA

So I guess they've got more money-grabbing since then :(

Edited by CJJE

An interesting feedback from Cubictelecom

"The free plan that Skoda informed you about includes sponsored content services such as weather forecast, news feed and GPS including maps. If you wish all of the online services which your vehicle is capable you will need to purchase an additional data pack from our website.
Once you do that you will be able to connect up to 8 devices to your vehicle's wifi hot spot and also use features such as satellite radio and live time traffic updates."

2 hours ago, Ber31inger said:

An interesting feedback from Cubictelecom

"The free plan that Skoda informed you about includes sponsored content services such as weather forecast, news feed and GPS including maps. If you wish all of the online services which your vehicle is capable you will need to purchase an additional data pack from our website.
Once you do that you will be able to connect up to 8 devices to your vehicle's wifi hot spot and also use features such as satellite radio and live time traffic updates."

Could be fun then as the Skoda Auto press release of 29 June 2020 stated:

"New Infotainment systems are being introduced ... for the start of the 2021 model year. ... They offer not only the Laura digital voice assistant, but an array of online features too -- including Internet Radio and wireless SmartLink technology. ... The built-in SIM card ensures a permanent Internet connection, which also enables Infotainment Online services to be used. SKODA provides the required data allowance for these."

And the Skoda UK brochure of 21 July 2020 merely states my Amundsen  includes web radio, as does the Sportline standard specification I downloaded when I ordered my car. Neither offered any small print about having to buy an additional data plan, and the specification stated that the Infotainment Online service was included free for the first year  and included Online Traffic Information.

If they are now claiming we have to buy an additional data plan to use the web radio, this would seem to contravene the Misrepresentation Act of 1967. 

Chris

PS: I've been on to my Skoda Connect portal, which confirms my Infotainment Online service is active until next November and includes Online Traffic Data, but am not offered any way of buying a Cubic data plan. Where have you found this??

Edited by CJJE

As an update to Ber3linger's findings...

When using the eSIM in my car, the web radio fails to download any categories, or stations. 

I then turned the eSIM off, and tried to connect to my home WiFi, but found its Network Security Settings were not supported by the car.

So I then used my phone as a Mobile Hotspot, and connected the car to that. Bingo! The web radio station categories were quickly downloaded, and stations received! So I can receive web radio stations via my phone and its data allowance - which could be handy when in Europe and I want to listen to a UK radio station - but not via the built-in eSIM.

I still think that this is not what Skoda UK stated in their marketing documents last summer, but will research further before challenging them. 

Chris 

On 13/02/2021 at 11:44, CJJE said:

Could be fun then as the Skoda Auto press release of 29 June 2020 stated:

"New Infotainment systems are being introduced ... for the start of the 2021 model year. ... They offer not only the Laura digital voice assistant, but an array of online features too -- including Internet Radio and wireless SmartLink technology. ... The built-in SIM card ensures a permanent Internet connection, which also enables Infotainment Online services to be used. SKODA provides the required data allowance for these."

And the Skoda UK brochure of 21 July 2020 merely states my Amundsen  includes web radio, as does the Sportline standard specification I downloaded when I ordered my car. Neither offered any small print about having to buy an additional data plan, and the specification stated that the Infotainment Online service was included free for the first year  and included Online Traffic Information.

If they are now claiming we have to buy an additional data plan to use the web radio, this would seem to contravene the Misrepresentation Act of 1967. 

Chris

PS: I've been on to my Skoda Connect portal, which confirms my Infotainment Online service is active until next November and includes Online Traffic Data, but am not offered any way of buying a Cubic data plan. Where have you found this??

https://skoda.cubictelecom.com

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just an interesting fact...since I purchased my dataplan from Cubictelecom, there is almost a daily dataflow...not a big one, but still, so there is something happening in the backgroundScreenshot_20210223-213221.thumb.jpg.669fccae05fe22faf75421365ccf0654.jpg...wondering what that could be as it's still consuming data, especially at 1AM? The car was not used at all these days

Edited by Ber31inger

Very odd. It could be just checking for updates (of traffic conditions perhaps) for some reason, but I'd assumed that would only happen when the ignition was turned on. 

Chris

• 1 month later...

Like others i guess,  confused about ott updates,   karoq owners on the Facebook owners thread have been having updates, now they are on 21.2, I'm still on 19.11, no sign of an update, been into settings and checked for updates, no updates show up?

4 minutes ago, Bryfly said:

Like others i guess,  confused about ott updates,   karoq owners on the Facebook owners thread have been having updates, now they are on 21.2, I'm still on 19.11, no sign of an update, been into settings and checked for updates, no updates show up?

My car was delivered in Nov 2020 with the 19:11 database, but updated itself online to 20:09 last month. (I don't recall having to go into the menus to do this.)

I've put the delay in installing the updates down to the covid lockdowns as I've only been driving for about 30 minutes each week, and I'm assuming it won't download the data unless the ignition is on. 

Chris 

6 minutes ago, CJJE said:

My car was delivered in Nov 2020 with the 19:11 database, but updated itself online to 20:09 last month. (I don't recall having to go into the menus to do this.)

I've put the delay in installing the updates down to the covid lockdowns as I've only been driving for about 30 minutes each week, and I'm assuming it won't download the data unless the ignition is on. 

Chris 

Mine was built 23 nov and picked up 1st march, done a couple of 40 mile round trips which didn't activate anything , guess will have to keep an eye on it..maybe there is a time limit built in to the system,  before downloads , who knows?

9 minutes ago, Capitanharlock said:

Mine never updated from 20.10.

I travelled for 5 thousands Km.

I guess it will remain a mystery for us owners until Skoda can figure out what is going on with their update procedure...😫

16 minutes ago, Capitanharlock said:

Mine never updated from 20.10.

I travelled for 5 thousands Km.

But are you in the UK? Skoda UK tell me that the online updates are for the country you're in. So if you're in Europe (an assumption based on you using Km rather than miles) then you'll be presumably updating a different country's map to us and so it could well show a different version number??

Chris

My nav database is on 20.11 and I am in the Uk with the Columbus system. 

Wonder why people have different versions in the same country, you would expect everyone to end up on the latest version. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

The official system unlock for the navigation update is probably done after the first annual service. At least this happened to me after 15.000 km service. Then the update of the NAV went OTA in 2-3 days time. Please note that I am using my own 4G battery router connected in the car all the time, which act as a hotspot. This is much cheaper than using the cubic telecom data plans.  

7 minutes ago, yarre said:

The official system unlock for the navigation update is probably done after the first annual service. At least this happened to me after 15.000 km service. Then the update of the NAV went OTA in 2-3 days time. Please note that I am using my own 4G battery router connected in the car all the time, which act as a hotspot. This is much cheaper than using the cubic telecom data plans.  

In the UK at least, this is certainly not the case as my car's navigation database was updated several times before my first annual service. And in another thread an owner reported that his new car was supplied with a navigation database that was around a year old, but it then updated itself to the current issue as soon as he started driving it. 

Again in the UK, Skoda provide a free dataplan to keep the car online for the first year for the navigation database updates and also for the emergency call system, information calls, traffic updates etc. After that we have to either pay for Connect licences or lose some features. 

If you live elsewhere in Europe (since you refer to a 15,000 km service) then your distributor could have a different sales policy though.

Chris

• Like 1