system update mib 3

17 minutes ago, Billywizzo said:

Has anyone actually been able to manually update the Columbus MIB3 system or any MIB3 system vis USB C

The posts above yours say that owners in Eastern Europe have been able to - and at least one said they can't do it online so it's the only way they can. 

Chris

2 minutes ago, CJJE said:

The posts above yours say that owners in Eastern Europe have been able to - and at least one said they can't do it online so it's the only way they can. 

Chris

It doesn't confirm that it's an MIB3 unit though, I think?

46 minutes ago, Blackbat said:

It doesn't confirm that it's an MIB3 unit though, I think?

True, but I believe MY21 Kodiaqs also switched to the MIB3 units, and they talk about using USB memory sticks to update them.

The thread itself is also about updating MIB3 systems.

Chris

Edited by CJJE

I am from Eastern Europe (though not from Russia, I do have the MySkoda app in App Store and on my phone if it makes any difference) and I was not able to do the offline update (pending a longer drive with the stick inserted) ...

btw, the file name I downloaded from the portal for my VIN is OI_P41_EU_202025_Offline_Update.zip

1 minute ago, Capitanharlock said:

I downloaded the same file, I will unzip it an put it on a USB drive, but I don't think it will work.

Just plugging it in, doesn't seem to do anything, and there's no menu option to select the drive. But it's been suggested that if you just leave it in while the ignition is on for an hour or so it will update the maps. (Driving seems the best option to keep the battery charged up!) 

Note your map version on the system information screen first, so you can confirm it's been updated.

Chris

1 hour ago, FilipC said:

btw, the file name I downloaded from the portal for my VIN is OI_P41_EU_202025_Offline_Update.zip

Did you extract the files first or copied the whole zip file to the drive?

The advice when using SD cards is always to unzip the files onto the card. I see no reason to think using an USB stick is any different.

Chris

I doubt the car has enough CPU power to decompress tens of GBs of data in a reasonable amount of time anyway (and storage to keep the temporary files)

21 hours ago, CJJE said:

Chris

I don't think they said they have been able to update it via USB-C, just they were going to try leaving the USB drive in for longer to see if it would update.

I have not seen anyone post that they definitly have been able to use the USB-C port to update any MIB3 system yet, only people saying they have had over the air updates to the systen, like I have had.

15 minutes ago, Billywizzo said:

I don't think they said they have been able to update it via USB-C, just they were going to try leaving the USB drive in for longer to see if it would update.

I have not seen anyone post that they definitly have been able to use the USB-C port to update any MIB3 system yet, only people saying they have had over the air updates to the systen, like I have had.

See batal's post from yesterday:

"Exactly :) Some people reported that update takes more that one hour.  But interface is awful. While update you cant understand is it in process or not. You just need to keep head unit on for some time (you can continue using car). And after some time you'll se new map version in system info.

At least that's how it works for us in Russia. But we don't have Skoda Connect. Maybe if you have it, update from flash drive is disabled (but I'm pretty sure that it's not)."

1 hour ago, CJJE said:

See batal's post from yesterday:

"Exactly :) Some people reported that update takes more that one hour.  But interface is awful. While update you cant understand is it in process or not. You just need to keep head unit on for some time (you can continue using car). And after some time you'll se new map version in system info.

At least that's how it works for us in Russia. But we don't have Skoda Connect. Maybe if you have it, update from flash drive is disabled (but I'm pretty sure that it's not)."

Ok,  let me know if you if you manage to update it via USB.

I have tried to manually update but could not get it to update via USB or manage to update the radio logos, all downloaded from the update site, only had the one OTA update the other week since getting the car.

@Billywizzo. 

Sorry, due to lockdowns I'm not venturing out for 1+ hour drives (and have only driven around 250 miles since November!) For the same reason, I'm not that bothered about out of date maps yet. But come the spring I might be able to try to update it this way. 

The problem with radio logos is that the ones missing my car are also missing from the Update file! And from discussions in other forums I firmly believe the radio can only install logos that it receives from the radio programme's transmitter. But across Europe, many radio stations don't bother including a logo in their data stream and so the radio cannot display it. As I understand it, the designers of the VAG MIB3 systems haven't included a way of adding your own logos as we could on the MIB1 and MIB2 systems. (The Skoda Update screen for my MY21 car still tells you to transfer the file on an SD card which we all know is impossible for the MIB3 system.)

Chris

I'll check our local forums with exact instructions and description of update process from flash drive.

And yes, I'm talking about MIB3 with typec (H22 units with 0270)

https://www.drive2.com/l/577482199679370293/

Was:

spacer.png

now:

spacer.png

here is how we in Russia update maps. You can use google translate :)

Copy-paste:

1. Download the archive
2. Unpack it to a USB flash drive (format in NTFS)
3. Insert the radio from the USB and drive for 20-30 minutes (or leave it running), everything happens automatically)

Many thanks batal. I've been using exFat but will switch to using NTFS. 

20 to 30 minutes isn't too bad, but I think I've read that if you stop partway through it will start up again where it left off.

Chris

Downloading maps for my bolero MIB3 . I'll try to update myself (OI_P41_EU_202025_Offline_Update.zip ~ 25GB). (I know that maps are useless for bolero, but bolero 21MY is actually Amundsen with locked navigation feature)

44 minutes ago, batal said:

1. Download the archive
2. Unpack it to a USB flash drive (format in NTFS)
3. Insert the radio from the USB and drive for 20-30 minutes (or leave it running), everything happens automatically)

Just to be clear, you still have to activate "Update from USB" in navigation menu, although there will be no update notification or anything else on the screen (from the original post):

https://www.drive2.com/l/568779015389709159/

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, linni said:

you still have to activate "Update from USB" in navigation menu

I'll try without this first time :)

(this Passat has "old" mib3 - H12, we have a bit newer version (H22))