system update mib 3

On 03/02/2021 at 16:22, CJJE said:

The procedure didn't work for me either, despite my hopes.

Went for a succession of 20+ minute drives, but a hard reset at the end still left me on version 19.11. Perhaps it couldn't restart from where it left off? But I won't be making any longer journeys for awhile, so will have to wait and sea what others discover.

Chris

10 minutes ago, Blackbat said:

Have you done a reset of the head unit by long pressing the on/off button for ~ 10s?

Yes Sir...I have the latest maps from the Skoda Update portal...extracted the ZIP to an NTFS USB-C stick...after almost 2 hours, I did a hard reset, but stayed at 19.11

Than I tried FAT32 USB-C stick....still the same result :-(

Finally had a reply from Skoda UK's Customer Services:

MISSING RADIO LOGOS

They insist that the reason some logos are missing is that some radio stations would not renew their licence with Skoda. I assume this means that Skoda/VAG wanted to charge the radio stations for displaying their logos and they declined. They also insist that unlike the MIB1 & 2 systems, there is no way of adding them ourselves (presumably so we can't bypass VAG's desire to make the radio stations pay for having their logos displayed on a VAG radio. 

UPDATING MAPS

They also insist that the maps can only be updated online - presumably to make us pay for the Infotainment Online service each year if we want to have up to date maps. They also say that all the maps for a country will be updated when updates are issued. (I'm not sure if that means England or UK. I also see that according the owner's manual, that updates are installed for the 'local area' - ie Country according to Skoda UK - and the remote destination. So when I am again able to plan a trip to Austria I would hope that would updated all the maps for the journey through Belgium, France Germany and Austria.) 

My car is still sitting with the 19.11 map database, but there again since I have only driven it for 6+ hours since I bought it in November I guess it probably hasn't had time to download the new maps yet and install them. And people who have seen their maps update have probably driven their cars enough for them to update online. 

Chris

20 minutes ago, CJJE said:

Finally had a reply from Skoda UK's Customer Services:

UPDATING MAPS

They also insist that the maps can only be updated online

It's obvious that there's lots of confusion within the VW Group empire because they told me the opposite. The guy I spoke to went to double-check and came back saying that you could update via USB, although it never worked for me. To be fair, the data we're downloading from the website does say MIB2 and it talks about SD cards. I can't see anywhere it mentions MIB3 or USB sticks or even how these sticks should be formatted. People are just making that assumption.

If Skoda had said to me the maps can only be updated online, then the obvious response is  " If that's the case, then why does Skoda's portal inform us there's an update is available for our VIN ? "

I'm not saying they're wrong, but they're certainly guilty of providing inconsistent and conflicting information.

Edited by Guest

17 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

It's obvious that there's lots of confusion within the VW Group empire because they told me the opposite. The guy I spoke to went to double-check and came back saying that you could update via USB, although it never worked for me. To be fair, the data we're downloading from the website does say MIB2 and it talks about SD cards. I can't see anywhere it mentions MIB3 or USB sticks or even how these sticks should be formatted. People are just making that assumption.

If Skoda had said to me the maps can only be updated online, then the obvious response is  " If that's the case, then why does Skoda's portal inform us there's an update is available for our VIN ? "

I'm not saying they're wrong, but they're certainly guilty of providing inconsistent and conflicting information.

When I looked inside the ECE 2020/2021 map file, the folder all start MIB31 so it would seem to be the MIB3 update! And when I asked why the Soda Update Portal offered me maps I couldn't install, Skoda UK's response was, quote: "Online updates the infotainment system." I also asked if there would be a software update to allow us to update the entire map database at a time of our choosing, and got the reply, quote: "No plans for this from the factory, but passed back to the to review for the future." 

I'd specifically asked for the correct procedure for installing the updated maps from the Skoda Update Portal, but the reply was, quote: "Online updates the infotainment system."

I suspect my reply was cut and pasted from a script, because when I asked why I couldn't use the Web Radio all I got was a cut and paste from the owner's manual - which was just the unformatted text and no graphic images, and so was pretty well unreadable! 

Chris 

Edited by CJJE

Presumably the Skoda Update Portal only checks that the VIN is valid, and not the model year of the car? Or our Russian friends have adapted software which lets them download the file and install it since they don't have the online feature??

28 minutes ago, CJJE said:

Or our Russian friends have adapted software which lets them download the file and install it since they don't have the online feature??

You can find in this topic that update from USB works for some cars not from Russia too.

In your case I think that 20-30 minutes was not enough.

54 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

To be fair, the data we're downloading from the website does say MIB2 and it talks about SD cards. I can't see anywhere it mentions MIB3 or USB sticks or even how these sticks should be formatted. People are just making that assumption.

Yeah. Instructions are definitely for MIB2 (facepalm!). But! You can find instructions for MIB3 from VW.  I don't understand why Skoda provides wrong info.

1 hour ago, Capitanharlock said:

It stays at the 20.10 version.

Actually I don't know which version is available on the Skoda site, though.

Maybe that's the problem :) I have 20.7 after updating with files from Skoda portal. Maybe files available for manual download are 1 step behind comparing to online update.

Another random thought.

As Russia lacks the online services it seems they do not have e sim installed.

Now again, if someone could use some underground facilty or mountain top where is no mobile signal to try the USB update? Might be the e sim is preventing some processes. 

• Thanks 1

On 31/01/2021 at 18:55, Blackbat said:

Well mine has just updated. Following the advice from @batalabove (thanks!), I did a hard reset on my Columbus by holding down the power button and when it restarted the navigation version had gone from 19 11 to 20 10. The update files had been sitting on an NTFS formatted flash drive, plugged into the car, since last year but it's only now after the reboot that they appear to have been recognised.

Hey, you're the only one who updated successfully and seems like you're not from Russia :) 

Could you please share a bit more info about your car?

17 minutes ago, batal said:

Hey, you're the only one who updated successfully and seems like you're not from Russia :) 

Could you please share a bit more info about your car?

But it could be a coincidence, and the files had been downloaded online and were just waiting to be installed but a hard reset??

5 minutes ago, CJJE said:

But it could be a coincidence, and the files had been downloaded online and were just waiting to be installed but a hard reset??

Yep. Thanks Skoda - we cant be sure in anything :biggrin:

Perfect...would you mind to send a picture about your system information where we can see the Product number, HW, SW and Navigation DB version?

I will go back to my Skoda Dealer and escalate if that will be the same as mine, except the Navigation version.

ok I took this one to my Skoda Dealer...and he confirmed that USB-C update is turned off on MIB3 as everything is pulled from the internet...so you either have the eSIM package through Cubictelecom or you have a 4G hotspot in your car and get the head unit connected. He also confirmed that for Devices 3V0035816B the 20.11 navigation is the latest...for 3V0035816C which is for example mine, it`s the 19.11 the latest but nothing to worry about as when you have net connection, it always download the latest maps for your route.

The fact that the HW and the SW version is the same on all Device part numbers (B & C) does not mean they run the latest SW

191470167_kp.png.272ef5f486cc3aecfd2fa5af0514c367.png

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ber31inger said:

ok I took this one to my Skoda Dealer...and he confirmed that USB-C update is turned off on MIB3 as everything is pulled from the internet...so you either have the eSIM package through Cubictelecom or you have a 4G hotspot in your car and get the head unit connected. He also confirmed that for Devices 3V0035816B the 20.11 navigation is the latest...for 3V0035816C which is for example mine, it`s the 19.11 the latest but nothing to worry about as when you have net connection, it always download the latest maps for your route.

The fact that the HW and the SW version is the same on all Device part numbers (B & C) does not mean they run the latest SW

191470167_kp.png.272ef5f486cc3aecfd2fa5af0514c367.png

Thanks Ber3linger,

The Amundsen in my Karoq has a device number 3V0035820B, and is also stuck on Nav database 19.11 (even after another half hour trip today). So it looks like I may as well remove the USB stick and rely on the online updates. It sounds like it may be worthwhile planning a few trips to encourage it to download some map updates though...

Disabling the USB update route seems a commercial decision rather than engineering, presumably to 'encourage' owners to continue to buy the Infotainment Online service after the first year if we want updated maps. Quite a policy change from years of getting free updates as long as the head unit was still supported! 

Chris   

1 hour ago, CJJE said:

Thanks Ber3linger,

The Amundsen in my Karoq has a device number 3V0035820B, and is also stuck on Nav database 19.11 (even after another half hour trip today). So it looks like I may as well remove the USB stick and rely on the online updates. It sounds like it may be worthwhile planning a few trips to encourage it to download some map updates though...

Disabling the USB update route seems a commercial decision rather than engineering, presumably to 'encourage' owners to continue to buy the Infotainment Online service after the first year if we want updated maps. Quite a policy change from years of getting free updates as long as the head unit was still supported! 

Chris   

Absolutely Chris...and this might explain why in Russia this method works - they have eSim disabled, so the only way to update maps is through USB so seems like they left that option open, but for the EU, they are forcing users to go with Cubictelecom....and good idea with planning few trips across Europe, might be we will start to force the download of the new maps in other countries as well...will give it a try

1 hour ago, CJJE said:

MIB 2 got only one update per year and the cost for a map was around 300 euros.

Of course the map was not binded to VIN so you could buy a  SD card copy from ebay for 50 euros.

1 hour ago, linni said:

MIB 2 got only one update per year and the cost for a map was around 300 euros.

Of course the map was not binded to VIN so you could buy a  SD card copy from ebay for 50 euros.

When I was researching buying my Karoq, Skoda UK were saying we got free (downloaded) map updates for three years. And other Skoda owners here assured me that in practice the downloaded maps were still available for longer than that. Coming from owning VW Golfs for the last 10 years, their policy was that you could download free map updates every 6 months while the head unit was still being installed in cars, and for a further number of years after that. So I presume that Skoda Estonia have a different policy.

Chris