Who has owned their Octy for the longest?

Not been on here for a while but popped on today for some advice and started to wonder, has anyone had their car from new for longer than us?

We bought our vRS new in April 2011 so it'll be 10 years old in 2 months.  It's not going anywhere for a few years at least.

How long have you owned yours for?  Can anyone beat 10 years from new?

• Like 1

15 years with one car is impressive!

Coincidentally, 1st September 2005 was the day that my wife picked up our first Skoda- a Fabia vRS.  Kept that 5 and a half years and replaced it with the Octavia.

So currently we can say I've not owned my car for the longest on here, but so far I've owned it for the longest from brand new.....

I had my Mk1 Octi 1.6 Ambient for 12 yrs. I still miss it, best car I've ever owned, which I think I put in just about every forum post !! :rofl:

I keep my eye out in the classifieds for a replacement MK1 Octi. Ideally a 1.9 TDi silver estate in Elegance or L+K trim.

@mb09 That is some serious mileage. Is the highest on the forum?

On 31/01/2021 at 18:00, mb09 said:

I had my Octavia 1.9 PD since March 2009 but it has done 396514.

First engine had lasted  about 168000 a crankshaft bearing shell had broken up so the engine was scrapped.

I had a recondition engine fitted and it still going strong with the mileage of 228514.

I know it's not oldest Octavia can anybody beat the mileage?

Mileage 2021.jpg

Trying to beat You soon with my 2008 Scout. Still running factory engine  with top-end reconditioning - done "only" almost 300 000, half of it in my hands. Been having it for only 5 years and was bought used

Sadly sold now as no longer needed, but I have my octy estate for about 7 years, but managed to do 190,000 in it in that time, sold it with 260k on the clock, and still on the original engine, original turbo, and only 1 clutch change!

I thought this was a different thread, given all the responses , time for me to chip in proudly. 

Owned a 55 Plate 1.9 Elegance hatch, since May 2008, about 3.5 years old.

Purchased with about 29k on it from a Main dealer. Now sitting with just over 250k on the clock, SORN on the drive.

The Superb needs more use than this to keep going.

Had one new SMF clutch. Original turbo. 2 sets of glow plugs. 1 set of rear shocks. One replacement front spring due to a breakage. One front rad. Cupra console bushes upgrade. 

Nothing more I think other than 10k oil and filter changes and other filters to suit time and distance. 

Looks like @Aston_Bodger and I are tying for longest ownership since new! Sadly, I suspect Trev will have pipped me at the post as mine's rather late in June 2007. This is the longest I've owned any car and it's also the most reliable car I've ever owned, not even a factory recall. Bits have stopped working and I need to fix those but only trivial stuff (I hope), certainly not show stoppers. I'm going to go and cross my fingers for a bit now.

Also, it's not often I come across someone with lower mileage for the age than mine either (I've just passed the 79,000 miles mark) but Trev has me beat there too! Sigh :biggrin:

@StuartA, nope mine is Sept 2007. And it's Diesel

So far it's had 4 cam belts and water pumps, 1 cylinder head gasket, 2 rear shocks, front soon,  rear bushes soon, set discs and pads

Still original clutch and turbo.

Did the first 20,000 miles in 9 months when I had it first (was going from MK to Gaydon hence user name) every day.

Trev

@Aston_Bodger For some reason I'd got it into my head that you were June too. Oh well, I shall quietly assume the lead for the moment then :wink:

Mine's worked its way through discs (all round), anti-roll link bar link arms (both sides), a rear hub and a brake servo pipe. Apart from that everything else is original (bar consumables, obvs). Reliability-wise, the only wobbler was when there was an issue with the throttle body (limp-mode activated) which was fixed with a clean and reset about three years ago.

8 hours ago, gav_is_con said:

I thought this was a different thread, given all the responses , time for me to chip in proudly. 

Owned a 55 Plate 1.9 Elegance hatch, since May 2008, about 3.5 years old.

Purchased with about 29k on it from a Main dealer. Now sitting with just over 250k on the clock, SORN on the drive.

The Superb needs more use than this to keep going.

Had one new SMF clutch. Original turbo. 2 sets of glow plugs. 1 set of rear shocks. One replacement front spring due to a breakage. One front rad. Cupra console bushes upgrade. 

Nothing more I think other than 10k oil and filter changes and other filters to suit time and distance. 

I forget I also had to have a couple of rear calipers replaced, about 2 years ago now. It’s had several cambelt changes 

57 minutes ago, StuartA said:

@Aston_Bodger For some reason I'd got it into my head that you were June too. Oh well, I shall quietly assume the lead for the moment then :wink:

Mine's worked its way through discs (all round), anti-roll link bar link arms (both sides), a rear hub and a brake servo pipe. Apart from that everything else is original (bar consumables, obvs). Reliability-wise, the only wobbler was when there was an issue with the throttle body (limp-mode activated) which was fixed with a clean and reset about three years ago.

You got me on that one:biggrin:

Wheel bearing ok for now (reaches out to touch a bit of wood), the reason it had a head gasket is because when I did the cam belt last year the tensioner stud desided it did not like the head anymore and stripped the threads while the engine was running!!!!, made an awful racket, thought the engine was toast, even got a spare just in case, but nope head off pour petrol down the intakes all ok (see photos on the cam belt thread somewhere on here), the valves just kissed the pistons, not a full on snog like you usually get, otherwise it would be on the same head gasket, mind you it was on the way out, and no8 head bolt was loose!!! to(did not crack like the rest of them).

Trev

• Haha 1

I bought a 51 plate 2001 Octavia Estate (1.9 tdi)  in April 2005 from my chauffeur pal with 188000 miles on the clock, I did not really  want it as it was not as convenient as my Alhambra for my move to France but it was so cheap and left me £1500 better off when the Alhambra sold it only had to last me a year for the gamble to have paid off. In fact I got it the night before I moved so had to empty the Alhambra and squeeze it all in the Octavia.

13 years later and at 325000 miles it was still as sweet as a nut, it was only not being able to resolve the problem of all but the drivers door being deadlocked that made me buy an even better value MK2.

In hindsight had I invested in VCDS while I owned it then it would not have been scrapped, however it was 17 years old before having any electronic shenanigans, I did not even realise that it had canbus comms, the MK2 needed me to by VCDS within a week, up my skillset and make up for 13 years of not keeping my hand in.

I replaced the DMF and one cambelt (none had been done before even though my pal had paid for a couple of replacements) in all that time plus a coolant temp sensor, alternator brushes, fuel sender etc, brake pads and eventually discs because of a hairline ctack on one at 300000 miles, original exhaust & would have still been on the original battery if I hadn't left the lights on & killed it. I also gave the turbo the good news with Lidl oven cleaner once or twice.

It never ever broke down or used any oil. Never in my life had I kept a car more than a couple of years, the MK1 Octavia changed all that, you dont give up on a good thing.

My only complaint was that it was so reliable it left me to play 15 years of catch up on vehicle electronics & emission controls when I did change it for a 2006 vehicle.

The jump to a 2015 was pretty painless because the 2006 Octavia kept me on my toes most of the time.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1

Great to see so many people keeping their Octavias for a long time.

In my case, and I think it's probably true for a lot of people, it's because there isn't really much out there that will do the same job for anywhere near the money.

We bought our Octavia when Skoda were doing the VAT free deal which meant we saved nearly £5k on the list price.  Since then obviously they don't do deals like that any more and the list price has increased meaning Skodas aren't the bargain they once were.

List price for ours with the options we specced back in 2011 was around £23500.  We got 20% off that.

Adjusted for inflation, the price we paid in 2011 equates to around £24k now.

The cheapest vRS diesel today will set you back £32k.  That's a big difference.

I now have a 2017 335D Touring for family duties but we can't quite bring ourselves to get rid of the Octavia yet- it's like it's part of the family!

• Like 1

I'm no where near on length of ownership or mileage and I moved onto to a Mk3 Superb about 18 months ago. I kept both my Mk2 Octavia's for 5 years each. Both are still going strong with over 200k on each according to the DVLA MOT data :)