Canton Sound System Upgrade

Hello. I have doubts because I received the car I ordered back in February, but after they sent it to the airport in early June where they store unfinished cars, I decided to give up that car and order again. So I did and got more equipment in the new configuration than the old one that has now arrived. I wouldn't have even thought of taking this one that had been standing for half a year if I hadn't seen Skoda take the reverse camera and Canton out of the configuration in Slovenia. I'm wondering if anyone has information on whether the Columbus devices with and without canton sound system are the same? Is it posible to connect a subwoofer to a regular device? Do both devices (Canton and regular) have a output for the woofer? Thank you.

11 hours ago, timster said:

Heh, i also have mk7.5 with dynaudio. Could not get the octavia without Canton.

But i asked about the canton missing from configurator.  Dealer just said that it might delay the car, but of course i can still have it. So that indeed sounds weird that you cant have it anymore, if it was available during ordering.

When did you order yours Timster? 

Am gutted tbh as i spend a load of time in the car. Drove for 8 hours today. 

Hopfully i can find a solution to add a sub. 

Hopefully the likes of pioneer will update their range to cover the mk4s. 

https://www.pioneer-car.eu/uk/car-specific/skoda#products

@skydriver

You can get a low pass filter to take the siginal from the rear speakers to go to a subwoofer. As far as i know the canton system all works via Can Bus. So no RCA outputs. 

18 hours ago, Dubwiser said:

When did you order yours Timster? 

Am gutted tbh as i spend a load of time in the car. Drove for 8 hours today. 

Hopfully i can find a solution to add a sub. 

same for me, its my business car and make 50 to 60 000km with it every year, its my second office ! so this kind of option are really important to me

Thanks, I decidet today to took a car that was standing unfinished because of the semiconductor problems from June. I didn't want to risk waiting indefinitely and then having my car delivered without some equipment. This alredy have Canton.

20211103_145519.jpg

20211103_144140.jpg

20211103_144149.jpg

20211103_144136.jpg

20211103_144125.jpg

Nice one! :) So you are the one that bought it. I was wondering who it went to after it was taken off the internet...

May I ask what the final price was? If it's not a secret. :)

p.s.: safe trips and many happy kilometers!

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion. I used Tapatalk and that was probably the problem. It's normal with a laptop now.

@drnovshek 

The price is 37200e, and that is a price that is far more favorable with all the equipment than today's prices. I ordered the car in February and it is old price. This is my second car that I buy through the same dealer and I got a discount.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, DutchVRS said:

Quick update👌🏻

1 amplifier to go.

Than starting all plexiglass work.

And speakers replacement.

20211114_121004.jpg

@DutchVRS .... Very nice job, impressive. May I ask you ... for the rear doors ... woofers have the same diameter than woofers from front doors? I would say yes ... but just to confirm. 

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

2 minutes ago, Mario_Delgado said:

@DutchVRS .... Very nice job, impressive. May I ask you ... for the rear doors ... woofers have the same diameter than woofers from front doors? I would say yes ... but just to confirm. 

Cheers!

Thanks!

I can not confirm yet about rear door speaker size.

I will take off doorpanels next week👌🏻

• Like 1

Hi There,

For what is worth. Seems that the Focal set made for the golf VIII is compatible but the connectors have to be replaced, is not plug and play, at least for the woofers. If interested, you would need to buy those from the VW Golf VIII (And other Skoda models btw). To be confirmed but I would say part ref. num. is the 1J0 972 923.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Canton soround sistem in O4 is terreble. There is no bass tones. I dont't see a difference compared to the regular version. It sounded far better in my previus octavia RS 2018, even if it was below the expected quality.

1 hour ago, skydriver said:

Canton soround sistem in O4 is terreble. There is no bass tones. I dont't see a difference compared to the regular version. It sounded far better in my previus octavia RS 2018, even if it was below the expected quality.

It's a budget system. I have only listened to the standard 8 speaker system, but even that sounds pretty damn good for a budget car. If you want more bass just swap the sub for a bigger one. I'm sure even the stock Canton amp can drive an 8-10 inch sub to reasonable levels, it's 100Wx2.

• Thanks 1

Well my O4 is just arriving at UK port after June 21 order. Pan roof and Canton options added and as far as I’m aware both fitted.

Super excited for the HiFi until I read this thread! Keeping everything crossed that it’s there … and worth it. Either way at least 55 years of gigs mean I can always blame poor sounds on self inflicted tinnitus! 

On 22/11/2021 at 21:06, Zedboy said:

Super excited for the HiFi until I read this thread! Keeping everything crossed that it’s there … and worth it. Either way at least 55 years of gigs mean I can always blame poor sounds on self inflicted tinnitus! 

I saw a teardown of the Canton, its made up of a standard VW DSP amp (pre-coded DSP settings), an extra functionality unlocked in the 10" headunit, china no-name speakers and a 6.5" subwoofer (looks like a normal midwoofer to me indeed).

Technically, if you expect good sound, all money spent on the Canton would be gone for the extra midrange and sub wiring. A Match DSP 10 amp with Skoda adapting harness and custom fitted 5"-2"-1" inside an a 8-10" sub to the back would be superior in about every situation but such setup would set you back at least 1, 300 EUR if you do it yourself.

52 minutes ago, MP1983 said:

I saw a teardown of the Canton, its made up of a standard VW DSP amp (pre-coded DSP settings), an extra functionality unlocked in the 10" headunit, china no-name speakers and a 6.5" subwoofer (looks like a normal midwoofer to me indeed).

Technically, if you expect good sound, all money spent on the Canton would be gone for the extra midrange and sub wiring. A Match DSP 10 amp with Skoda adapting harness and custom fitted 5"-2"-1" inside an a 8-10" sub to the back would be superior in about every situation but such setup would set you back at least 1, 300 EUR if you do it yourself.

I don't know why you expect an aftermarket amp to be better in any way. The most limiting factor by far in the factory canton option is the sub enclosure, it's small and plastic and it's sealed. If you connect a normal 10-12 inch 8+8 ohm sub in a normal ported enclosure to the standard amp it would be able to produce decent sound.

2 hours ago, timster said:

Even if Golf's Dynaudio is better than Octavia's Canton, i'm happy to get some factory upgrade.

Even with plug-ins they found a way to install a subwoofer.

It's not better? It uses very similar components, same subwoofer, less overall power and speakers.

33 minutes ago, zetzet said:

It's not better? It uses very similar components, same subwoofer, less overall power and speakers.

Similar looks does not mean its similar in any way :)

I wonder what Canton speakers are they using. Dynaudio was Excite series, which was okay'ish even for home. Never heard Canton's home speakers live.

Unfortunately, not the case. Any aftermarket DSP amp will likely be superior to the built in one. Class D`s as the one used in the Canton have massive THD when driven hard and the low power output of this one means exactly that. Even using something like a reference TPA3255 would require high power output to keep THD under control. Keep in mind this THD is not comprised mostly of 2nd order distortion is with tube amps, its the even harmonics no one wants.

Dynaudio produces totally different units compared to the ones used by Canton. They`re not even 1% of the Dynaudio (despite the second not being my cup of tea). Indeed, Canton was known as a manufacturer of entry level hi-fi, even if not very competitive to the likes of Wharfedale or Monitor Audio.  Recently they launched a higher tier speakers but the drivers and inhouse designed and no data is published on them, neither any measurements.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MP1983 said:

Unfortunately, not the case. Any aftermarket DSP amp will likely be superior to the built in one. Class D`s as the one used in the Canton have massive THD when driven hard and the low power output of this one means exactly that. Even using something like a reference TPA3255 would require high power output to keep THD under control. Keep in mind this THD is not comprised mostly of 2nd order distortion is with tube amps, its the even harmonics no one wants.

Dynaudio produces totally different units compared to the ones used by Canton. They`re not even 1% of the Dynaudio (despite the second not being my cup of tea). Indeed, Canton was known as a manufacturer of entry level hi-fi, even if not very competitive to the likes of Wharfedale or Monitor Audio.  Recently they launched a higher tier speakers but the drivers and inhouse designed and no data is published on them, neither any measurements.

600w total output is not low. A lot of home cinema amps don't have more power to give. Sure they have an external sub amp, but even those are often class D and 50-200W RMS. Also there is no way you're going to drive any of those speakers "hard". It will be like 10w going to each corner and some more for the sub. Unless you listen to music over 100 dB which would be insane to do in a car. Chasing percentage points of harmonic distortions in a car is also insane considering how high the noise floor is. But hey, to each their own, some people like to burn money.

Also neither Dynaudio (which is not in VW cars anymore) neither Canton actually make any of the VW parts. They used to be made by Panasonic or Lear corporation. Probably still are, the name is just marketing.

https://allegro.pl/oferta/wzmacniacz-dynaudio-vw-5h0035456a-9857428236 Here is your Dynaudio Golf amplifier. Made by Panasonic. 

Edited by zetzet