Android 10 Stereo £162 AliExpress gamble! Results:

That looks really smart and something I wish I had tried rather than going mib2. I had got an android unit but it was a while before I tried to fit it and then found out it was for a MK2 octy. 

This is really slick. Be interested to hear if it slows down over time as I have heard that of older models. Mostly due to not enough memory for upgrading I think.

• Like 1

With regards to the microphone.

Is it inside the interior light like the MK2?

If so I found one for my MK2 that fits in the factory position inside the light but has a standard 2.5mm plug on it.

It's a Fiscon. Maybe they do one for the MK3.

• Like 1

So according to the Fiscon website they do have the mic in the interior light.

And the 36338-2 microphone is the one that should fit (same as the MK2).

IF the stereo has a 3.5mm connection then you can get a 2.5mm adapter (I think that's what I've done on mine).

11 hours ago, Phil-E said:

With regards to the microphone.

Is it inside the interior light like the MK2?

If so I found one for my MK2 that fits in the factory position inside the light but has a standard 2.5mm plug on it.

It's a Fiscon. Maybe they do one for the MK3.

11 hours ago, Phil-E said:

So according to the Fiscon website they do have the mic in the interior light.

And the 36338-2 microphone is the one that should fit (same as the MK2).

IF the stereo has a 3.5mm connection then you can get a 2.5mm adapter (I think that's what I've done on mine).

Oh that's a good tip cheers, I was assuming it would be in the same sort of place as the Mk2 just for the ease of LHD/RHD factory placement. I am seeing that mic at £29 ish online here, I might try a generic 3m long boom mic with 3.5mm jack at other end and just stick it in there to see if I can keep this uber budget trend going a bit longer. Odds are though if it's no good this will be the way forward :handshake:

1 hour ago, jimbojames said:

Very interesting install, thanks!

I use Google maps all the time when driving - mainly for traffic jam spotting. Have you used that at all? How well does it work if so?

I use Sygic myself and have done so for a long time now, was just saying the same thing somewhere else and it's been around a decade now :o It's been good to me and the maps are downloaded to device so no need for data connection etc regular updates worldwide coverage can just download the maps by country or even region within a country to save space if it's needed etc, does have a host of other add ons like live traffic etc, but I've just had it in all my phones as a one off lifetime licence purchase for £19.99 way back then and stuck with it. It's working smooth and tracking on screen is absolutely spot on so I can't imagine Google maps having any trouble. Can use android auto etc on there too. 

14 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

That looks really smart and something I wish I had tried rather than going mib2. I had got an android unit but it was a while before I tried to fit it and then found out it was for a MK2 octy. 

This is really slick. Be interested to hear if it slows down over time as I have heard that of older models. Mostly due to not enough memory for upgrading I think.

I will keep any issues updated on this thread for future reference on it. A lot out there are VERY VERY low specc'd but there again if buying on the likes of AliExpress they are VERY VERY cheap for it. This was a middle of the road one without wanting to gamble too much money and octacore with memory it has should in theory be sufficient for all my motoring related needs with little that updates on the things I use will be able to do to it for some time unless we are talking Android 20 sort of no longer making apps backward compatible etc. I've had a long long list of android devices right from the very start and tbh later manufacturer updates always seemed to be intentional to grind them to a halt, I won't be letting that happen. Good thing with this at it's price point is, that in a year the 6gb/129gb one will be the same price I paid for this and so on. Not the most expensive thing in the world to replace every couple of years. 

Does it have DAB? Or can you get a DAB adapter? I'd miss not having that. What was the total including import fees and VAT?

Looks really good and I didn't know a 3rd party unit would integrate in to the cars systems, so that is good to know...

Nick

38 minutes ago, NikTheGeek said:

Does it have DAB? Or can you get a DAB adapter? I'd miss not having that. What was the total including import fees and VAT?

Looks really good and I didn't know a 3rd party unit would integrate in to the cars systems, so that is good to know...

Nick

I just assumed if I got one I'd loose all the old onboard stuff so didn't really look into it that much. They have come on a long way! £162 delivered no import fees or VAT charge added. Item was ordered from China as the EU warehouse locations on Aliexpress now mostly just say can't ship to UK. I've never actually been hit with customs chargers for anything I've ordered from China oddly (USA 90% of the time I get stung). They put it down on the cert on box as what it was car radio and put value $80 USD etc but just landed at door unexpectedly with parcelforce after several days of no movement on tracking. DAB is not something I personally ever use nor is FM tbh. It uses booster on one of the FM cables and seems to pick up well, other two were a 4G antenna incase you have sim in and GPS one, so only DAB suggested will be a 'DAB' app so over data I'd think. TuneIn radio etc prob better option for such things. I rather just listen to my own music on device or on memory stick in glove box out of sight, these days however as I have Amazon prime and get the basic music free with that I've been using that a fair bit more, gives all the album art and karaoke assistance on screen :party: 

Yes just double checked advert not listed as having DAB just FM/RDS, there is a pre-installed DAB+ app on there though which I think is just a data sourced one though. 

Edited by FUBAR

The DAB app will be if you have the optional DAB receiver. It's just a USB DAB receiver that plugs in.

I've just bought one for mine but need to sort out an antenna as the supplied windscreen one is completely useless. Works a little while stationary but as soon as the car moves an inch the signal just vanishes!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Phil-E said:

The DAB app will be if you have the optional DAB receiver. It's just a USB DAB receiver that plugs in.

I've just bought one for mine but need to sort out an antenna as the supplied windscreen one is completely useless. Works a little while stationary but as soon as the car moves an inch the signal just vanishes!

This one has a socket on back for the 4G antenna one for the FM one and another not in use which I was assuming was for DAB specc'd ones. The lower specc'd one 2gb/32gb of my one only had the GPS socket and the other 2 vacant etc. Can't think what else it would be for, I've seen others listed with DAB, but genuinely haven't watched TV in over a decade and not listened to radio in prob 15 years, so not needed for me. The FM signal with booster hooked up seems very good on this one for signal. DAB where I live you only get a handful of stations and they are patchy at that. Could it be the pick up in engine that makes it loose signal rather than moving, as in RF interference when alternator picks up coming through the circuitry / cabling?

If I rev the engine it's fine. But literally as soon as I move the signal goes.

Think it might a grounding issue on the antenna or something.

I'm probably just gonna bite the bullet and get a roof mounted DAB/FM antenna.

Dab coverage is actually pretty good over here. It's DAB+ actually as we brought a little DAB radio with us that doesn't work here as it only supports DAB and not +.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phil-E said:

I'm probably just gonna bite the bullet and get a roof mounted DAB/FM antenna.

You so wouldn't be able to do that if you still had your last car lol :D

Lol. Nope! I had a windscreen mount but it was also rubbish. But then the windscreen broke and didn't bother replacing. I was going to swap out the GPS antenna on the boot lid for a DAB ones but never got round to it.

2 minutes ago, Phil-E said:

Lol. Nope! I had a windscreen mount but it was also rubbish. But then the windscreen broke and didn't bother replacing. I was going to swap out the GPS antenna on the boot lid for a DAB ones but never got round to it.

That's the one thing I am glad about with my car not having Sat Nav in first place, I have no aerial on roof at all, all clean no holes drilled in it at factory :dance:

4 hours ago, Phil-E said:

I've just bought one for mine 

You will need to play with as many different launchers as you can find and help me decide on which one to go with. Can change for a sake of a change whenever we like is also a bonus :D

Edited by FUBAR

That's so strange, I was just watching the installation video for this on Youtube a couple of weeks ago :) 

What put me off was the image of the car on it, if it could be changed to a Skoda that would be a plus (but that's a minor issue), and some of the reviews were negative.

The screen touch response seemed a bit slow on the installation video but looks much better in your video :) .

Following this thread with interest to see how it goes over time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lway said:

That's so strange, I was just watching the installation video for this on Youtube a couple of weeks ago :) 

What put me off was the image of the car on it, if it could be changed to a Skoda that would be a plus (but that's a minor issue), and some of the reviews were negative.

The screen touch response seemed a bit slow on the installation video but looks much better in your video :) .

Following this thread with interest to see how it goes over time.

Which installation video? There are a few for it into a Mk3 Octavia, but all are the 2gb/32gb quad core version not the 4gb/64gb octacore one. Car on screen is fine by me as a compromise the other car on screen for I think the car status type screen is awful though lol. £162 is the big thing though :D :D :D

7 minutes ago, FUBAR said:

Which installation video? There are a few for it into a Mk3 Octavia, but all are the 2gb/32gb quad core version not the 4gb/64gb octacore one. Car on screen is fine by me as a compromise the other car on screen for I think the car status type screen is awful though lol. £162 is the big thing though :D :D :D

This is the one i'm thinking of:  

Edit: yeah this is the 32G version in the video. Would be a definite upgrade on my MIB1 Bolero :)

Edited by lway
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, lway said:

This is the one i'm thinking of:  

Edit: yeah this is the 32G version in the video. Would be a definite upgrade on my MIB1 Bolero :)

Yea thats the best video, I saw that one. That's the lower specc'd one from same seller as mine. It's not even the same size screen in that vid, it's a different fitment too. They seem to have moved away from it slightly. 

Edited by FUBAR

Small update as have now gone back in and put a generic external microphone in place. I opted not to put it behind the trim where factory one is as it's blanked off on driver side and didn't think it would work too well being essentially in a lunchbox (cable routed up directly into head lining behind mics boom so out of sight, across and down behind passenger pillar trim in and across etc. 3 meter cable on mic was perfect with about 20cm to spare (was slightly worried). As everything is black up top I just stuck it on its swivel mount on top of rear view mirror and it's working perfectly on test call after. 

Also had a play in menus and found a big list of boot screen logos to choose from inc a Skoda one, but can also upload anything I want, so will get a newer Skoda logo I think or a vRS one or something. Then I noticed the menu for steering wheel controls and I can remap any key function to do whatever I want it to, that's pretty nifty. 

Mic 2.jpg

Mic 3.jpg

Mic 4.jpg

Logo.jpg

SWC.jpg

Edited by FUBAR
  • Like 2

I have a MIB1 Columbus and while it has a big screen and the sat nav is fine, it's starting to look a bit dated at 8 years old.

I am considering this as an option, as I recuperate more than that by selling the Columbus unit, and a MIB2/2.5 will set me back nearly £1k. It seems to do an awful lot for little money.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, nutters_uclan said:

I have a MIB1 Columbus and while it has a big screen and the sat nav is fine, it's starting to look a bit dated at 8 years old.

I am considering this as an option, as I recuperate more than that by selling the Columbus unit, and a MIB2/2.5 will set me back nearly £1k. It seems to do an awful lot for little money.

It's certainly not the same as OEM would be with the final polished menus etc, but it's punching way above it's price and adds functionality that I like. The fitment I am more than happy with and in my case from what I came from, I see it as a very positive upgrade. As I mentioned I think in first post, I've done the OEM stuff in the past at OEM prices and I never really saw the value in it for all you had for your money. This to me is certainly a winner so far. You can get ones higher specc'd too, but for Android 10 and the type of usage its intended for 4gb/64 is plenty for me. Running all apps at once I'm never using more than 2gb of the ram etc.

1 gripe I have with it, that I may be able to address but I haven't looked into it yet. The screen you see at the start of my video with heating controls info while changing stuff with it, when climate control is on auto and the fan goes up one speed or down one speed periodically to maintain the temperature, that screen will pop up to show the change. 

That screen to map out the steering controls is identical to that on mine.

If you did want to add DAB to it by the way then I can highly recommend the rear amplifier and splitter option.

The Octavia estate has the additional glass aerial in the rear window.

The signal is sent to the front and combined to boost the signal. The stock amplifier filter out DAB signals and only boosts FM/AM.

You can swap out the amplifier for a DAB one and run a new cable to the front. Or do as I have and swap for a passive and fit a splitter/amplifier behind the stereo.

I used the kit Alpine KAE-DAB1G6 (Alpine KAE-DAB1G7 is for Golf 7 and Octavia MK3 I think). This option also saves running any new cables to the front.

The only hiccup I hit was that the +12v ANT connection from the stereo doesn't actually output anything. So took me a bit of head scratching wondering why the signal was so bad (the amplifier obviously wasn't getting any power).

Full DAB signal and crystal clear. Only had one very short drop while stopped at a red light between some tall buildings. But no drop in sound.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1