Android 10 Stereo £162 AliExpress gamble! Results:

35 minutes ago, Phil-E said:

The reversing camera is one of my favourite features and wouldn't want to be without it now!

I also get the dynamic parking lines on mine which is a nice touch.

I can't really use it for reversing, never have in the past and forget its there, but before fitted it just gave the blank screen with no signal looking for it with the small car diagram for the reversing sensors over it and it upset my OCD. 

You have to unlearn your reversing habits from how ever many decades you have been driving, once you get used to looking at the image you will do it all the time unless you are in an open field with nothing or nobody around.

After the useless wing mirrors that used to be fitted to cars I had to get used to using door mirrors for reversing, now its second nature.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Lamont1980 said:

Looks like a decent set up, but first question first lol. I saw some reviews saying that there was no install instructions included. 

How easy is this to install? 

This is the best video to give an idea of how easy it is, nothing scary in it, 99% plug & play bar one single wire to connect for FM booster 

On 15/03/2021 at 09:36, lway said:

This is the one i'm thinking of:  

Edit: yeah this is the 32G version in the video. Would be a definite upgrade on my MIB1 Bolero :)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, FUBAR said:

This is the best video to give an idea of how easy it is, nothing scary in it, 99% plug & play bar one single wire to connect for FM booster 

That looks pretty straight forward tbh. I think even I could do it lol.

What did he do with the blue FM cable though. Looked like he'd just showed you two ends and then chucked them in with the rest of the cables. 

9 minutes ago, Lamont1980 said:

That looks pretty straight forward tbh. I think even I could do it lol.

What did he do with the blue FM cable though. Looked like he'd just showed you two ends and then chucked them in with the rest of the cables. 

He is showing you the blue cable on the FM signal booster and the blue cable from back of head unit you attach it to image.thumb.png.85e082245e8bac2df9d4056243499e44.png

On 12/07/2021 at 23:21, FUBAR said:

Forgot to add the last bits I did to this, got a rear boot handle camera thingy off AliExpress for £24.98 all in and put it in so that when I select reverse I see more now and has the dynamic lines etc. I think it finishes it off well. 

Unit looks good! Still working well? 

Did the head unit come with radio removal keys?

How did you feed the wiring for this reverse camera? Do you have a link to it on AliExpress?

Cheers 👍

7 hours ago, Stiiwii said:

How did you feed the wiring for this reverse camera? Do you have a link to it on AliExpress?

Cheers 👍

I don't think it does, I managed to get some on Amazon for around a fiver, I'll find the link. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079Z9QTHG/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_A3RMJ6RM69BDXKZF1V8R?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

My stereo order is now saying it's left the despatching country. Getting a little giddy lol 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lamont1980 said:

I don't think it does, I managed to get some on Amazon for around a fiver, I'll find the link. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079Z9QTHG/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_A3RMJ6RM69BDXKZF1V8R?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

My stereo order is now saying it's left the despatching country. Getting a little giddy lol 😂

Yeah thanks, I had those in the basket waiting in case ^^

Same, said dispatched last night.. taken a punt on the 6gb 128gb one. Probably more than I need but hey ho!

1 hour ago, Stiiwii said:

Same, said dispatched last night.. taken a punt on the 6gb 128gb one. Probably more than I need but hey ho!

Christ lol, I went for the 2gb 32gb 😂😂

17 hours ago, Stiiwii said:

Cheers 👍

Still going great, had it through mega cold tail end of freezing winter then the mega summer we had and been perfect. 

Doesn't come with removal keys a nail file will do the same job if you're into those, if not Amazon/ebay will get them to you them next day I paid £2.50 but says £4.50 now yikes https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332699579992

Wiring for camera is in my case a Mk3 Octy Combi just went through the grommet from boot hatch to frame and then whatever flaming way I pleased! (I went under inner sills down passenger side to front) Camera came with cable long enough to do it easily which was handy! This is the exact rear boot handle/camera I got, but there are different sized handles on the Mk3 Octy for some reason some had a smaller one fitted (like mine) and some a bigger one, all the same price on AliEpxress but be sure to measure first! https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33035970515.html 

8 hours ago, Stiiwii said:

6gb/128gb is exactly what I'd go for if ordering now, reason I went with the 4/64 was that it was a 100% stab in the dark gamble with no one I knew having donw the same and when taking a chance on it I went with that to be sure I didn't waste too much money. Would buy higher specc'd one happily now if I needed one. 

6 hours ago, Lamont1980 said:

Christ lol, I went for the 2gb 32gb 😂😂

You did what now? :o It's not just half the ram and storage it's also only a quad core CPU rather than the octacore you get on any of the higher specc'd ones. It will be on the plus side the same hardware unit as Xtrons sells for £300 odd (cheek of it!) at a mere fraction of the price. :thumbup: 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FUBAR said:

Still going great, had it through mega cold tail end of freezing winter then the mega summer we had and been perfect. 

Doesn't come with removal keys a nail file will do the same job if you're into those, if not Amazon/ebay will get them to you them next day I paid £2.50 but says £4.50 now yikes https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332699579992

Wiring for camera is in my case a Mk3 Octy Combi just went through the grommet from boot hatch to frame and then whatever flaming way I pleased! (I went under inner sills down passenger side to front) Camera came with cable long enough to do it easily which was handy! This is the exact rear boot handle/camera I got, but there are different sized handles on the Mk3 Octy for some reason some had a smaller one fitted (like mine) and some a bigger one, all the same price on AliEpxress but be sure to measure first! https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33035970515.html 

6gb/128gb is exactly what I'd go for if ordering now, reason I went with the 4/64 was that it was a 100% stab in the dark gamble with no one I knew having donw the same and when taking a chance on it I went with that to be sure I didn't waste too much money. Would buy higher specc'd one happily now if I needed one. 

You did what now? :o It's not just half the ram and storage it's also only a quad core CPU rather than the octacore you get on any of the higher specc'd ones. It will be on the plus side the same hardware unit as Xtrons sells for £300 odd (cheek of it!) at a mere fraction of the price. :thumbup: 

Tbh for the amount I'll use the car, that will probably suffice. 

As long as I can use android auto, get maps, listen to something that isn't the radio without fiddling with my phone then it should do for me. 

1 hour ago, Lamont1980 said:

Tbh for the amount I'll use the car, that will probably suffice. 

As long as I can use android auto, get maps, listen to something that isn't the radio without fiddling with my phone then it should do for me. 

***EDIT*** they also list a 2gb/32gb octacore one alongside the 2gb/32gb quadcore, which did you order for the below to apply to android auto? 

Emmmm apple car play thing works on quadcore 2gb one, need octacore 4gb and up for android auto, should state that clearly in listing? Android auto is pointless on an android head unit anyway. It's designed to allow non android head units to have some basic limited crapy android app functionality. It's like getting your first motorbike and wanting to fit stabilisers to it sort of deal. Don't worry about android auto, you have full android built into the car in first place, download, install and use any app you feel like! :party:

Edited by FUBAR
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, FUBAR said:

***EDIT*** they also list a 2gb/32gb octacore one alongside the 2gb/32gb quadcore, which did you order for the below to apply to android auto? 

Emmmm apple car play thing works on quadcore 2gb one, need octacore 4gb and up for android auto, should state that clearly in listing? Android auto is pointless on an android head unit anyway. It's designed to allow non android head units to have some basic limited crapy android app functionality. It's like getting your first motorbike and wanting to fit stabilisers to it sort of deal. Don't worry about android auto, you have full android built into the car in first place, download, install and use any app you feel like! :party:

Looks like it was the quad core, bugger. 

Not to worry, can still tether my signal from phone etc to get full functionality. 

12 minutes ago, nickytheshaft said:

Hello, 

What is the big issue with the original mic of the car?

Why can't it connect to the unit?

Thanks

Because of how it's wired into the car, it's not simply plugged into the back of the unit in glove box. Prob goes into CCM or something and is much more integrated into the car than can be hijacked with canbus module. 

5 minutes ago, Robertvrs said:

Hi all. I have skoda octavia vrs 2014 with this radio.. I want to know if I can put this android because I dont have radio unit in glove box. Thank you for help

If you pull out your stereo you will likely find the same plugs are on the back of it instead, if that is the case then it should be fine and a lot easier to install. Look in this video for the type of plugs on the back of the glovebox unit and see if you have the same shaped plugs on back of your stereo in the dash. 

https://youtu.be/_BHQw6ElsMY

4 hours ago, lway said:

Did you try his instructions at 15:22 into the video ?

Yes all worked perfect.  

***EDIT*** didn't read original quote oops

Edited by FUBAR

6 hours ago, Stiiwii said:

Looks like mines arrived today 😁

I'll give installing it a go tonight!

How did you get on?