Android 10 Stereo £162 AliExpress gamble! Results:

5 hours ago, FUBAR said:

Which spec one was that again? Looks like one to avoid by sounds of it, totally different interface to mine. 

That one i've no idea as I didn't have that in first place, just the lines getting closer so to speak on my MIB1

Mine was the lower spec one, the 2gb Ram 32gb memory.

This mob on Ali Express have gone aweful quiet now. 

25 minutes ago, Lamont1980 said:

Mine was the lower spec one, the 2gb Ram 32gb memory.

This mob on Ali Express have gone aweful quiet now. 

Try the aliexpress dispute thing see if that wakes them up. 

11 hours ago, FUBAR said:

Try the aliexpress dispute thing see if that wakes them up. 

Reply from AliExpress

'i consult with engieer friend 

it is radio chip program difference 

our 4+64 8 core radio 

that can show those car information when you choose canbus 

because this 2+32gb 4 core 

there is no those car set information ,design on the screen 

that is why can not show 

it is not canbus issue 

because our 8 core and 4 core radio canbus are same'

I've had a little rant at them 🤣 but I'm outside of the 15 day dispute on their site. 

On 9/29/2021 at 12:41 PM, FUBAR said:

If you pull out your stereo you will likely find the same plugs are on the back of it instead, if that is the case then it should be fine and a lot easier to install. Look in this video for the type of plugs on the back of the glovebox unit and see if you have the same shaped plugs on back of your stereo in the dash. 

https://youtu.be/_BHQw6ElsMY

Hi m8,

I bought this radio 2/32gb, installed it how it was shown in the video but the steering wheels button are still not working even though i put "Raise - Volkswagen" for canbus for skoda, it doesnt connect with the air conditioning and the vehicle status etc.. Do you know where is the problem? 

Thank you.

On 10/28/2021 at 9:03 AM, Lamont1980 said:

Reply from AliExpress

our 4+64 8 core radio 

that is why can not show 

it is not canbus issue 

I've had a little rant at them 🤣 but I'm outside of the 15 day dispute on their site. 

Hey. Now I see,we have same problems with same radio. Did you find solution? 

Thank you

IMG_20211029_155112.jpg

On 28/10/2021 at 08:03, Lamont1980 said:

Reply from AliExpress

our 4+64 8 core radio 

that is why can not show 

it is not canbus issue 

It's weird as the video of the guy installing one and going through menus, his was from them and was the 2gb/32gb quadcore one and it had the same canbus options as the 4gb/64gb octacore ones we got. Leave a bad scathing review on aliexpress they might contact you and try to bribe you into removing it. Or return it as defective they offer a year warranty and get the 4gb/64 one.

14 hours ago, Robertvrs said:

Hey. Now I see,we have same problems with same radio. Did you find solution? 

Thank you

IMG_20211029_155112.jpg

Unfortunately not, still arguing with them. 

13 hours ago, FUBAR said:

It's weird as the video of the guy installing one and going through menus, his was from them and was the 2gb/32gb quadcore one and it had the same canbus options as the 4gb/64gb octacore ones we got. Leave a bad scathing review on aliexpress they might contact you and try to bribe you into removing it. Or return it as defective they offer a year warranty and get the 4gb/64 one.

Yeah, review about to be left after their later response. 

Screenshot_20211030_085630_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg

Another update

'may i know if you have check our youtube and order 4 core 2+32gb ?

if yes ,i need to drop down that youtube link 

because that is old radio before 

chip program is different'My right to review has now been removed. 

@Robertvrs maybe you could leave a review on the page advising that they are selling a different device to what is advertised. 

Edited by Lamont1980

If it's not fit for purpose or not as described, open a dispute with Paypal or your bank (as appropriate). They will likely find in your favour and refund you. Or use the free returns option with Paypal and send it back for a refund - you'll get £15 to cover the postage.

It took 2 months, but I won a battle with Amazfit for an item of similar value to these radios and eventually got a refund from my bank. You just need to be able to evidence that it doesn't do what it should - and some of these replies from the seller are evidence enough I'd say.

3 minutes ago, NikTheGeek said:

If it's not fit for purpose or not as described, open a dispute with Paypal or your bank (as appropriate). They will likely find in your favour and refund you. Or use the free returns option with Paypal and send it back for a refund - you'll get £15 to cover the postage.

It took 2 months, but I won a battle with Amazfit for an item of similar value to these radios and eventually got a refund from my bank. You just need to be able to evidence that it doesn't do what it should - and some of these replies from the seller are evidence enough I'd say.

I get where you are coming from, and in an ideal world I'd be expecting the unit to be exchanged with myself paying the difference. 

I just cannot be arsed sending it back to China lol. Too much hassle. If I can badger them enough that they change the way they are selling this unit so no other people get duped then it will be a win for me. It's more about the principle of it. 

I've bought a Carista box so any changes to the car settings can be done using that. Angling at getting a DAB receiver from them as compo lol. 

I just want to make sure that no one else is getting stung. Myself and RobertVRS appear to have been, but if I can change it so that no one else does then it's a win. 

5 hours ago, NikTheGeek said:

That's why AliExpress don't use PayPal tbh lol They have their own version of buyer protection though, but never used it. 

8 minutes ago, Lamont1980 said:

One more question, do you know if you can fit a DAB antenna to these units, or will it need to be plugged through USB

Separate module, i'd assume plugged in via USB only then after market DAB antenna plugged into that in turn etc. I haven't listened to radio or watched TV in a decade or two, so not something I will ever bother with personally. 

• Like 1

With regards to DAB it is a seperate USB DAB dongle you need.

I bought a cheap one from ebay that said it was compatible with Android and it worked no problems.

As for the antenna they come with one of thos crappy windscreen mounts but it didn't work at all for me. I also have GPS reception problems as I believe I have the special heat refelctive screen.

I'm not sure how it is on the MK3 but on the MK2 estate there is an antenna built into the rear side window. You can swap out the amplifier tha sits back there for a passive one and then a splitter behind the stereo that spilts out the DAB and FM signals.

With this solution there's no need to swap the roof antenna and I've just come back from holiday via Belgium, Holland, France and the UK and the signal (after doing a new scan in each country of course) was rock solid. Only exprienced a couple of short dropouts on the hilly roads between Bridlington and Whitby.

• Love it! 1

I got one of the windscreen ones fitted yesterday, and it isn't too bad tbh, takes maybe a minute or so for the signal to calibrate where it sounds glitchy but then seems OK. 

Might have a look to see where the dab antenna is for the mk3

On 13/11/2021 at 13:24, Lamont1980 said:

I got one of the windscreen ones fitted yesterday, and it isn't too bad tbh, takes maybe a minute or so for the signal to calibrate where it sounds glitchy but then seems OK. 

Might have a look to see where the dab antenna is for the mk3

I am thinking about fitting the Android head unit and was thinking as I already have factory fitted DAB in my MKIII would there be any problem using the existing DAB cable that connects to the back of the unit in the glove box and just connect that to the DAB USB dongle?

4 minutes ago, wagster said:

I am thinking about fitting the Android head unit and was thinking as I already have factory fitted DAB in my MKIII would there be any problem using the existing DAB cable that connects to the back of the unit in the glove box and just connect that to the DAB USB dongle?

I don't think that fits tbh, I don't think it is a screw in. My next piece of investigation was to figure out how to incorporate the cars own DAB aerial. 

The windscreen mounted aerial is good in towns, but quite bad outside of that. 

15 minutes ago, Lamont1980 said:

I don't think that fits tbh, I don't think it is a screw in. My next piece of investigation was to figure out how to incorporate the cars own DAB aerial. 

The windscreen mounted aerial is good in towns, but quite bad outside of that. 

Would need to by a Fakra to SMB adaptor connector lead to connect it like this one but don't know if any other reason that it wouldn't work. 

Screenshot_20211116-195953_Chrome.jpg

13 minutes ago, wagster said:

Would need to by a Fakra to SMB adaptor connector lead to connect it like this one but don't know if any other reason that it wouldn't work. 

Screenshot_20211116-195953_Chrome.jpg

Cheers man, you've saved me looking it up. That should be OK, I'm sure the part that goes into the cd player is female so it fitting shouldn't be an issue. 

The only thing that my prevent it from working is if perhaps the built in DAB antenna is an active one and requires power or receives its power via the aerial cable (phantom power I've heard it referred to).

3 minutes ago, Phil-E said:

The only thing that my prevent it from working is if perhaps the built in DAB antenna is an active one and requires power or receives its power via the aerial cable (phantom power I've heard it referred to).

Surely someone on this forum would know best. 

Will have a look around to see if it's been posted before. 

1 minute ago, Lamont1980 said:

Surely someone on this forum would know best. 

Will have a look around to see if it's been posted before. 

Yeah I'm sure there must be some info on it. I just know the FM antennas require this power source as they are active. But I'm yet to have a VAG car with a factory DAB antenna so my knowledge is limited.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Phil-E said:

Yep I am not sure if passive or active and haven't got round to figuring it out so was hoping someone would chip in with a reply to say either way. 

3 minutes ago, wagster said:

Yep I am not sure if passive or active and haven't got round to figuring it out so was hoping someone would chip in with a reply to say either way. 

You could give it a try and let us know 😉