Android 10 Stereo £162 AliExpress gamble! Results:

After doing some digging it looks like it is a active DAB system, more information the link below but basically it seems the MIB2 unit kicks out 8.75volts to the antenna amplifier so not having the existing DAB connected to the MIB would throw up errors unless I changed the coding to tell it DAB isn't activated or installed.

It seems that most of the USB DAB dongles kick out 5volts to the antenna anyway so it might still work.

https://forum.obdeleven.com/thread/7557/antenne-problem-coding-hardware-fault

8 minutes ago, nickytheshaft said:

Hi, 

one more question, is the cd player in the glove box still usable?

Finally are you fully happy with the unit?

Thanks

Plug(s) on unit in glovebox are unplugged and plugged into new screen so it is totally redundant. 

31 minutes ago, nickytheshaft said:

OK so the player becomes useless. 

Thanks

I'd say the CD player became useless 15 years+ ago tbh lol

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, FUBAR said:

I'd say the CD player became useless 15 years+ ago tbh lol

Especially when they put it in the Glovebox so you can't even change the disc without crashing the car. 

19 hours ago, lway said:

Especially when they put it in the Glovebox so you can't even change the disc without crashing the car. 

completely true...

I may five it a try, now I am hesitating with the different models.

Is it worth going for the octo core 4 gigs or is the octo core 2 gigs enought?

1 minute ago, nickytheshaft said:

completely true...

I may five it a try, now I am hesitating with the different models.

Is it worth going for the octo core 4 gigs or is the octo core 2 gigs enought?

Going by peoples recent experience on here, I'd go with 4gb/64gb 8 core or 6gb/128gb 8 core only. 

On 17/03/2021 at 21:36, FUBAR said:

1 gripe I have with it, that I may be able to address but I haven't looked into it yet. The screen you see at the start of my video with heating controls info while changing stuff with it, when climate control is on auto and the fan goes up one speed or down one speed periodically to maintain the temperature, that screen will pop up to show the change. 

Hi, 

have you managed to fix this issue?

Thanks

2 minutes ago, nickytheshaft said:

Hi, 

have you managed to fix this issue?

Thanks

You can turn the onscreen heater control thing off totally in settings so it will not come up ever, that's about it. Realistically the physical controls you use to set and or adjust the climate control tell you everything themselves, so it's not really needed in first place. I have left mine on still as it doesn't come up that often, only really when you change settings and when it then gets to temp requested and backs down to maintain it etc.  

1 minute ago, FUBAR said:

You can turn the onscreen heater control thing off totally in settings so it will not come up ever, that's about it. Realistically the physical controls you use to set and or adjust the climate control tell you everything themselves, so it's not really needed in first place. I have left mine on still as it doesn't come up that often, only really when you change settings and when it then gets to temp requested and backs down to maintain it etc.  

Ok good news. My MIB1 amundsen doesn't give me this info abd as you say the cliamt control in complete as it is so I don't care about this function. 

I am just trying to get my head around what mic I need to place it in the factory position. I have a VRS LHD. 

Was it hard to pull the wireing for the rear camera? 

And also how long does it take to boot when you start the car? 

1 minute ago, nickytheshaft said:

Ok good news. My MIB1 amundsen doesn't give me this info abd as you say the cliamt control in complete as it is so I don't care about this function. 

I am just trying to get my head around what mic I need to place it in the factory position. I have a VRS LHD. 

Was it hard to pull the wireing for the rear camera? 

And also how long does it take to boot when you start the car? 

Should be a little easier to install in LHD than in RHD as per the video near start of thread. Boot time I don't know I haven't timed it specifically, sub 30 seconds it's essentially a mobile phone or tablet being booted from fully off each time. Like any computer or android device it will boot into it's launcher then continue to load up stuff in background so for full speed smoothness of going through stuff a good 2 minutes, but can be used just a bit slower until it's done this. I run a custom launcher so that's running and booting in addition to it's factory one which adds a little to it. 

Rear camera is fine if you are happy with removing boot trim and feeding it through the grommet that goes from boot to cars body and routing it to front of car, then it's just plug into adapter that comes with stereo and connect to a power source (there is one on the stereo specifically for this which is handy, but can use anywhere. 

Near start I posted what I did instead of using the factory mic position as I really CBA with doing it and a mic open in the cabin with a boom would ultimately be the best for picking up the sound without spending silly money. You could stuff the same mic in place of the factory one against the grill, but I would think it likely less clear at picking up voice that way. 

2 minutes ago, FUBAR said:

Should be a little easier to install in LHD than in RHD as per the video near start of thread. Boot time I don't know I haven't timed it specifically, sub 30 seconds it's essentially a mobile phone or tablet being booted from fully off each time. Like any computer or android device it will boot into it's launcher then continue to load up stuff in background so for full speed smoothness of going through stuff a good 2 minutes, but can be used just a bit slower until it's done this. I run a custom launcher so that's running and booting in addition to it's factory one which adds a little to it. 

Rear camera is fine if you are happy with removing boot trim and feeding it through the grommet that goes from boot to cars body and routing it to front of car, then it's just plug into adapter that comes with stereo and connect to a power source (there is one on the stereo specifically for this which is handy, but can use anywhere. 

Near start I posted what I did instead of using the factory mic position as I really CBA with doing it and a mic open in the cabin with a boom would ultimately be the best for picking up the sound without spending silly money. You could stuff the same mic in place of the factory one against the grill, but I would think it likely less clear at picking up voice that way. 

Thanks you. 

Well another question. I was driving home and wondered. Can you still change the driving mode on the screen when you press the mode button. Plus do you have the custom mode with the different settings.

If it is not asking to much, if you have all these settings, could you post some pictures?

Thanks

36 minutes ago, nickytheshaft said:

Well another question. I was driving home and wondered. Can you still change the driving mode on the screen when you press the mode button. Plus do you have the custom mode with the different settings.

If it is not asking to much, if you have all these settings, could you post some pictures?

Thanks

Yea it brings up a screen with the drive modes on it to select which one you want. The 'individual' one which you can set yourself, I have no idea how I would go back into it to change the settings of that one, but i already had it set up the way I wanted so not needed or wanted to try. 

34 minutes ago, nickytheshaft said:

Great, I had a big doubt about that

Also in case you didn't know, when you press the drive mode button in front of the gear stick and it brings up your modes on screen, you can keep pressing the drive mode button and it will scroll through them, whichever one you leave highlighted it will go to that one after a few seconds so you don't actually have to touch the screen with factory stereo etc. 

8 hours ago, FUBAR said:

Also in case you didn't know, when you press the drive mode button in front of the gear stick and it brings up your modes on screen, you can keep pressing the drive mode button and it will scroll through them, whichever one you leave highlighted it will go to that one after a few seconds so you don't actually have to touch the screen with factory stereo etc. 

Ok so they kept the original function. Well , the project is getting better and better.

Also, does it auto dim when the headlights come on?

We have unlimited data on our cell phones in France and I have sygic with traffic information. I read that you have too. Can the unit take advantage of the cell phone to update traffic information Sygic?

Sorry for all these questions but I want to make sure it will be a confortable use. 

3 hours ago, nickytheshaft said:

Ok so they kept the original function. Well , the project is getting better and better.

Also, does it auto dim when the headlights come on?

We have unlimited data on our cell phones in France and I have sygic with traffic information. I read that you have too. Can the unit take advantage of the cell phone to update traffic information Sygic?

Sorry for all these questions but I want to make sure it will be a confortable use. 

Yea auto dim with headlights etc. If your mobile service provider also allows unlimited tethering you can use your phone as a wifi hotspot and let the car connect to that for full connectivity. Sygic works very well on it.

Just be sure to order the 4gb/64gb one or 6gb/128gb one and not the 2gb/32gb one