Android 10 Stereo £162 AliExpress gamble! Results:

2 hours ago, Di_Greenio said:

Hi,

So I ended up going for the same bryan008 but 6gb/128gb and have a few wee niggles which Junsun have replied to each time tbf, but if anyone has any other suggestions that would be great.

1) The phone app crashes within a second of going into it, it sends me back to the main screen.  JS say I should update the firmware but tbh I don't know if I'm keen to do this (but will probably give it a go in the end).  They sent a link and instruction videos though so can't go wrong... 😕 

2) Guessing this maybe connected to no.1 but the maxidot does not show any call logs or contact details to phone out.  It does show a number and the option to hang up when on a call though.  It does show "No name" the battery and no bars of signal even if the phone has all bars when not in use.

3) When I change the kmh to mph on the main screen the figures still read in kmh even though it says mph!!  JS say to change the settings to "remember" in the About device settings which I have done.  I have not had a chance to check this as I am isolating atm although I suspect it won't have changed anything..

4) I have the same query with the extra 4pin in the main wiring block.  I connected it thinking it would maybe sort out the cars built in usb port and jack but it doesn't.  All is working but I have the 4pin usb sitting spare just now and ongoing discussion with JS to establish what the 4pin I have connected is for.  They think I have 2 x 4pin usbs just now 😞 I have attached a pic of the wiring as it is atm without the the 4pin usb attached.

I disconnected the airbag as well before I had realised what I had done but managed to clear it and 4 other faults at the same time with my OBDeleven, no problems since.

All in all I am happy with the purchase.  It was relatively easy to install (even for me the noob! 🙂) there was sufficient cable to reach across from the glovebox and all I needed to change was the doors in the settings and the canbus option which seems to be a given anyway.  All the steering wheel controls and the menus were as is, VRS button etc all grand.  The mic seems to be working fine (according to the missus) even if there is the slightest background noise when she is speaking (or anyone else for that matter ;) )The air conditioning screen does seem to appear randomly every now and then even though it is not set on auto not sure about this one! 

It did sound so much better than the standard headunit and even more so now I have added the Kenwood under seat woofer, cracking bit of kit!! 

And I also think it looks great and I have had a few nice comments about it too!  

I bought the Junsun ELM327 obd2 reader to go with it which works perfectly with the headunit and VAGDPF and the Torque apps.

Thanks

4pin.jpg

4pin 6pin.jpg

Hi,

1 - so if your Unit is a ts10 or ts18, you should be able to update the firmware OTA. That is how I do mine. Go to settings, about and you should se the OTA update options.

After the update you should Factory reset the Unit.

2 - to be honest, I never checked this in the maxidot, even with the factory Unit

3 - can you show your screen? Where does this information appear? I am km/h so I didn't change anything for that. It was km/h out of the box

4 - the Factory usb won't work unless you send the 5v to the quadlock.

In my maxidot I do not get the same options or information as I did with the factory head unit. For the phone information all it shows is the battery level and signal level. For the audio I only get the FM frequency. For the navigation I only get the compass. As I never use the maxidot for driving info I am not bothered.

As for the mph/kph if you are on about what is shown on the main home screen then you need to go into the themes app then click on the settings cog then click on plugin and you set the mph or kph there. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nickytheshaft said:

Hi,

1 - so if your Unit is a ts10 or ts18, you should be able to update the firmware OTA. That is how I do mine. Go to settings, about and you should se the OTA update options.

After the update you should Factory reset the Unit.

2 - to be honest, I never checked this in the maxidot, even with the factory Unit

3 - can you show your screen? Where does this information appear? I am km/h so I didn't change anything for that. It was km/h out of the box

4 - the Factory usb won't work unless you send the 5v to the quadlock.

Thanks NTS, I will check the update situation tomorrow, see what type of unit I have. :thumbup:

The kmh is on the main screen image with the moving car.

Cheers

3 hours ago, wagster said:

In my maxidot I do not get the same options or information as I did with the factory head unit. For the phone information all it shows is the battery level and signal level. For the audio I only get the FM frequency. For the navigation I only get the compass. As I never use the maxidot for driving info I am not bothered.

As for the mph/kph if you are on about what is shown on the main home screen then you need to go into the themes app then click on the settings cog then click on plugin and you set the mph or kph there. 

I usually toggled between driving data and phone and found this the handiest when needing to call someone.  I will just get used to using the head unit I suppose :) .

I will try the plugin for speed tomorrow, many thanks

13 minutes ago, Di_Greenio said:

I usually toggled between driving data and phone and found this the handiest when needing to call someone.  I will just get used to using the head unit I suppose :) .

I will try the plugin for speed tomorrow, many thanks

Yes the image with the car moving the mph/kph is changed in the themes plugin  options. You can also adjust the % of the GPS speed to match the car speedo reading. I have had to adjust mine to 6% to match what the speed shows in the matrix dot display. 

3 minutes ago, wagster said:

Yes the image with the car moving the mph/kph is changed in the themes plugin  options. You can also adjust the % of the GPS speed to match the car speedo reading. I have had to adjust mine to 6% to match what the speed shows in the matrix dot display. 

Sod changing the accurate speedometer to match the one that's off. You can adjust the cars one on VCDS, or at least on older models you could. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FUBAR said:

Sod changing the accurate speedometer to match the one that's off. You can adjust the cars one on VCDS, or at least on older models you could. 

I agree. The GPS speedo is the accurate one, the car speedo will have been set at the factory to meet the legal requirement of never under reading and not over reading by more than 10% - hence the typical over reading by 5-7%.

Edited by PetrolDave

20 hours ago, wagster said:

So I have been out and cannot find the themes app anywhere.. is it possible I have deleted it?? I did a bit of juggling about when I first got it but feel like I may have uninstalled it! 🙈 Any idea how I can find it or re-install that app if need be?

And after a couple of days unused I have the low battery warning for the first time...it is all happening today :)   On their website it explains to cut the red (ACC) and orange (light) cables on the main block if you have canbus, has anyone gone ahead with this?? {picture below} Also the unit booted up again and the radio stations needed setting up again, the memorised allocation had been lost.  

@bryan008 Junsun have let me know that the 4 pin usb that we have connected to the headunit from the main loom is for carplay and the front camera only so if you don't use those you can take it out.  I have disconnected it and connected the spare 4 pin usb instead for updating the firmware and it updated fine and the basics all work fine still.  I will need to go and add all the other details as I had previously.

@nickytheshaft I had a look for the OTA options and couldn't see anything of that description and ended up updating the firmware through the usb. The firmware was dated the start of December, I take it to be the latest version??   The only thing I could see was MCU Update on the factory setup. 

Is the unit type on "about device"? It had MCU : TS-G5.201021(H) would this be it?

Thanks again for the advice 👍

Cheers

Junsun canbus.jpg

10 hours ago, Di_Greenio said:

So I have been out and cannot find the themes app anywhere.. is it possible I have deleted it?? I did a bit of juggling about when I first got it but feel like I may have uninstalled it! 🙈 Any idea how I can find it or re-install that app if need be?

And after a couple of days unused I have the low battery warning for the first time...it is all happening today :)   On their website it explains to cut the red (ACC) and orange (light) cables on the main block if you have canbus, has anyone gone ahead with this?? {picture below} Also the unit booted up again and the radio stations needed setting up again, the memorised allocation had been lost.  

@bryan008 Junsun have let me know that the 4 pin usb that we have connected to the headunit from the main loom is for carplay and the front camera only so if you don't use those you can take it out.  I have disconnected it and connected the spare 4 pin usb instead for updating the firmware and it updated fine and the basics all work fine still.  I will need to go and add all the other details as I had previously.

@nickytheshaft I had a look for the OTA options and couldn't see anything of that description and ended up updating the firmware through the usb. The firmware was dated the start of December, I take it to be the latest version??   The only thing I could see was MCU Update on the factory setup. 

Is the unit type on "about device"? It had MCU : TS-G5.201021(H) would this be it?

Cheers

Junsun canbus.jpg

well yout unit is different than ours. On the other hand, I think that it is better. One of my friend has one and it runs flawless compred to mine. 

for the record, the latst update on the T18 is from late february.

I don't understant this cutting wire stuff. In our units, we have an option to put it to sleep for 2 hours, 1 day, 1 week... or no sleep. 

You should check if you have this menu and ser it to hours if you take you car often and don't want a complete reboot at each time or simply to no sleep if you want it to shut down completely. 

When I get to my car, I will check my harness to see how it is wired. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Di_Greenio said:

Cheers

Junsun canbus.jpg

Junsun head units are slightly different compared to what we have fitted. That is the reason why you cannot find the themes app as i do not think it runs a theme launcher as such and most people with your type of head unit install 3rd party launchers. As i have no real knowledge of using your type of setup it is hard to provide help. You might be best taking a look at the the forums on xda https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/junsun-v1-pro-megathread.4385315/ where you might get better help.

Anyway yes you will need to cut those 2 wires as you are using a canbus box. With a canbus box connected the power ACC power supply to the head unit is controlled from the canbus and only powers on when the ignition is switched on, by having those 2 cables still connected you are basically providing permanent power supply to the head unit that will cause the battery drain. On our head units we do not have those 2 cables so nothing for us to cut.

By what i have read on the Junsun units they do not have the option to update OTA and can only be done by USB and the files are provided by Junsun directly when you ask them, on the XDA forum they do have all the firmware files available to download when new ones are released.

• Like 1

So I got a little impatient waiting for the amplifier board and just got this kit on Amazon

DollaTek MAX9814 Electret MIC Microphone Amplificateur Module Contrôle Gain Auto pour Arduino https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B07DJWQDQF/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_7RY2RWA13BZJ3YPDYZ94?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I hooked it up to the usb port supplying only power. 

I set the board at 40db which is the lowest setting. It still gives a huge amplification. The mic may need to be equipped with a foam screen.

The other board I am waiting for is 20x amplification at the minimum setting, wich I think, is also 40db if I am not mistaking.

Anyway here is a little sound clip I took with mic tester.

I also left a voicemail with the mic gain settings in the Bluetooth app to low.

Tomorrow I will try putting a screen on the mic.

So basically, we are going from too low to too hight...

Also I have a bigger size mic for the other board

20220307_183923.jpg

MT_20220307_193627.aac

Edited by nickytheshaft

Just a wee update..

I went for a quick spin round the block earlier and the speed was now reading correctly and changing from kmh to mph on the main screen, the firmware update obviously did the trick! 🤷🏼‍♂️👍🏻

I was also going to cut the 2 wires to prevent the battery draining as well but had a look and they looked to be connected differently to the diagram so thought better of it. The red and orange wires on the diagram look like they go from one black block to the other but mine go black block to white canbus block. Waiting to hear back from Junsun again..🙄🙈

ae_1646670724900.jpg

So I just put a foam screen on the mic and left myself a voicemail. 

Here is the file, the sound is preety good. A little loud but no parasite noise. A 20db amplification would have been great but this is way better than the stock mic or simple external mic.

In fact, the unit does not provide any amplification what so ever. The factory unit, I think must have an amplifier. 

I will check with an electonician friend is adding a resistor to the cable going to the unit can reduce the gain.

20220308_085000_r0325247915.wav

Edited by nickytheshaft

7 hours ago, nickytheshaft said:

So I just put a foam screen on the mic and left myself a voicemail. 

Here is the file, the sound is preety good. A little loud but no parasite noise. A 20db amplification would have been great but this is way better than the stock mic or simple external mic.

In fact, the unit does not provide any amplification what so ever. The factory unit, I think must have an amplifier. 

I will check with an electonician friend is adding a resistor to the cable going to the unit can reduce the gain.

20220308_085000_r0325247915.wav 249.12 kB · 5 downloads

Might be an option to use just an amp board and connect the factory mic or external mic to it.

DC-5V-12V-Micro-Electret-Amplifier-MIC-Condenser-Mini-Microphone-Amplifier-Board.jpg

2 minutes ago, wagster said:

Might be an option to use just an amp board and connect the factory mic or external mic to it.

DC-5V-12V-Micro-Electret-Amplifier-MIC-Condenser-Mini-Microphone-Amplifier-Board.jpg

Yes, 

I am waiting for this board from aliexpress. I took the one from amazon in extra because I was impatient to hear the result of an aplifier board on the unit. 

It is plugged to the external mic jack. 

I opened the unit and it is quite impossible to connect anything to the inbuilt mic. It is soooo smallll and connected to a ribbon. 

The goal is connect an external mic to the board, hide the mic somewhere then connect the board to the external jack and usb for power. 

mic board.JPG

Edited by nickytheshaft

Just now, nickytheshaft said:

Yes, 

I am waiting for this board from aliexpress. I took the one from amazon in extre because I was impatient to hear the result of an aplifier board on the unit. 

It is plugged to the external mic jack. 

I opened the unit and it is quite impossible to connect anything to the inbuilt mic. It is soooo smallll and connected to a ribbon. 

mic board.JPG

If i was going to do it i would ultilise the 2 connections for the factory mic that are connected in the quadlock connector , i have already added in the 2 extra connectors to the chinese connector to connect to the factory mic and it worked but was poor quality so would only need to connect the amp board inline inbetween the chinese connector and quadlock :)

2 minutes ago, wagster said:

If i was going to do it i would ultilise the 2 connections for the factory mic that are connected in the quadlock connector , i have already added in the 2 extra connectors to the chinese connector to connect to the factory mic and it worked but was poor quality so would only need to connect the amp board inline inbetween the chinese connector and quadlock :)

It is an idea but the last time I tried it (without an amplifier board) all I got was buzzing....  I will give it another try When the board arrives

On 01/03/2022 at 21:13, nickytheshaft said:

So for those having Android auto not registering vocal input, I got the 1.8.8 version here

https://forum.xda-developers.com/attachments/tlink_dw-kr-_1-8-8_20211115032652-apk.5531837/

It is Frome this topic https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/list-of-tlink-versions-availables.4387577/

I installed it and it works flawlessly, internal and external mic ( well When external is connected, internal stays actif, I left myself a Voice mail going from one mic to the other and the sound was getting louder When going from one to the other)

After a full reset, in the latest firmware, putting an external mic and settings gain to medium gives a good sound.

Well as i never re-setup TLink after i initially had it working wired and wirelessly with version 1.7.7 then i did a full factory reset, i thought today i would reinstall it. Well, the only version i can get work is 1.4.30 but that only works wired, any other version all the way up to version 1.8.8 just asks for activation!!!!!!

1 hour ago, wagster said:

Well as i never re-setup TLink after i initially had it working wired and wirelessly with version 1.7.7 then i did a full factory reset, i thought today i would reinstall it. Well, the only version i can get work is 1.4.30 but that only works wired, any other version all the way up to version 1.8.8 just asks for activation!!!!!!

To activate, you should connect the Unit to Internet then restart tlink and it will auto activate.

You are using a SIM card on your unit, try connecting to WiFi, that is how I activate mine and it works with all the tlink versions.

4 minutes ago, nickytheshaft said:

To activate, you should connect the Unit to Internet then restart tlink and it will auto activate.

You are using a SIM card on your unit, try connecting to WiFi, that is how I activate mine and it works with all the tlink versions.

Doesn't work, the head unit is connected to the Internet via WiFi and only the 1.4.30 version activates online all the other versions won't activate for some reason. 

10 minutes ago, wagster said:

Doesn't work, the head unit is connected to the Internet via WiFi and only the 1.4.30 version activates online all the other versions won't activate for some reason. 

This is odd...  

Is the unit time zone correct? I think there was something involving the unit being at the same time zone as the internet connection.

14 hours ago, wagster said:

Here is a video explaining the zlink activation with the timezone sync. 

It is basically the same with tlink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mjZIYWJMkw

Just created a Briskoda account to say thank you for all the people contributing to this thread!

I've bought and installed a 4GB/64GB unit and it was not complicated after watching the videos and following your advice.

The only thing not yet working is the existing USB port and one of the double USB cable ports - has anyone found an easy fix to this issue that doesn't involve splicing cables/creating new ones? Oddly, when I contacted the vendor, he says to try to reset the unit...

3 minutes ago, ricardocaldeira said:

Just created a Briskoda account to say thank you for all the people contributing to this thread!

I've bought and installed a 4GB/64GB unit and it was not complicated after watching the videos and following your advice.

The only thing not yet working is the existing USB port and one of the double USB cable ports - has anyone found an easy fix to this issue that doesn't involve splicing cables/creating new ones? Oddly, when I contacted the vendor, he says to try to reset the unit...

In short the answer is no.

As you might have picked up on in previous threads about this, the only way to get the factory USB to work correctly if you have the factory USB type that has the +5volts and ground connected on the external part of the USB socket, is to splice in the required 5volt power into the quadlock connector. The onlt other option you really have is to replace the existing factory USB with a version that has the +5volts and ground wired to the internal pins of the USB socket.

The way they have designed the double USB cable is that one USB will work as normal and the other only supplies 5volts that can only be used for charging something. What i did was use the USB that only allows charging and cut the end of the USB and spliced that into the quadlock connector to get the factory USB to work.

Speaking to the vendor with most of our problems has always resulted in them not having a clue so get used to it :)

• Like 1
  • Cheeky 1