COOLANT CHANGE

Hi, just had a service on my 2.0 diesel octavia estate. On picking up the car they told me there was evidence the coolant was contaminated, and would need flushing and replacing, along with the expansion chamber. The time they allocated to complete this was 6 (yes six) hours and said it will cost £850. To me this seems very excessive. Is this the garage trying to claw back lost revenue? or is this legit? Would be grateful for some guidance please.

My independent VW garage flushed my coolant after I realised I had lack of heat on drivers side and coolant was odd colour, soon after the cambelt got changed. 

Two bottles of Wynnflush, put on the new expansion tank, had it for a full day to get it hot and cold to do it twice, lent me a car, for £112 all in:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

@e-Roottootthat links gone to wrong thread for some reason. 

Considering the colour of the coolant when I took it in, they did a good job of it as it's still bright pink today after 3k miles and certainly didn't rip me off. 

The silica bag had split when they took it out the tank.

17 hours ago, numptie-boy said:

6 hours to change and flush coolant and 850 quid. Holy F! Takes an hour maximum. Ridiculous.

Hi Mate, yes my thoughts exactly. It would appear dealers are trying to recoup some of the lock down losses at our expense.

I think the dealer is following the ridiculous VW flush recommendations when that happens.. In another thread someone had this “service” under warranty and it was including 6 or 8 flushes following some extra steps, plus the new G12Evo coolant on double price because it’s ‘ready for use’ mix.

• Like 1

If the silica bag has split, it is a long hard lengthy flush process because silica doesn't dissolve (in anything you could put in a car's cooling system), so it all has to come out and usually involves some dismantling. But then, as others have done, ask Skoda to cover the cost.

• Like 3

Hi all, further to my recent post on this, and after reading many similar ones, I decided to do as others have done and remove the bag. The tank  was single skinned, so bag came out pretty easy. It had not split but there was small black debris in the tank and it was pretty brown and dirty, so I brought a new one and fitted that. Topped up with G12 Evo. After running for a hour or so there is evidence of small amount of the black debris returned to the tank. Not sure what this is but will for now observe and wait. Heater works ok and no overheating. Fingers crossed its ok. Cheers to all who have offered advice, its much appreciated.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
On 30/07/2022 at 16:49, Brian15 said:

What’s the recommended mileage for a first coolant change ?

As I understand, VW considers that the coolant shall serve the whole lifetime.

Nevertheless, I have changed mine BASF Glysantine G65, which is a G12evo after 2,5 years and also flushed the system about 7 times to remove steel sand particles from the system.

I have also removed a bag with silica gel from the reservoir and washed it with some detergents.

• 1 year later...
On 06/05/2021 at 16:33, numptie-boy said:

6 hours to change and flush coolant and 850 quid. Holy F! Takes an hour maximum. Ridiculous.

I call such people as "tea party" people. To be honest, they are pretty common here in the UK in many sectors (e.g. mechanical garages, house builders). Their priority is to enjoy their tea parties and family events while charging the customers for those hours they spend talking and "tea partying"! Only if they have any spare time left, or when they need the next payment they attend to the customer's job and do some work. 

Apparently VW specs on a System Flush and change some ancillary bits, is Flush the system, Fill the System (vacuum filling) , Get the Vehicle up to Temp,, Run it for 10 minutes, Let is cool sufficiently, Flush the System, Fill The System, Get the Vehicle up to temp... do this 4 - 5 times (that's what I've been told by 3 separate VW techs!), with a Technician on hand at your vehicle for the entire up to 6 hours (at £80 - £100 per Hour) so Parts: Clean Fluids each flush, New Header Tank and any pipes/clips that are needed, Pressure Testing, Labour: at least 5 hours maybe more!!!

I was quoted £1200 for mine!!!

So I'm going to an independent to get mine done, as I think I also need a Heater matrix replacement too (I think the Silica bag has gone POP)!!

On 30/07/2022 at 16:49, Brian15 said:

What’s the recommended mileage for a first coolant change ?

Never, the coolant is good until the day it leaks away from a leaking hose or radiator, my MK1 Octavia went to the scrapyard at 18 years old with 325000 mile on the original coolant and all cooling system components aside from one replacement temperature sensor, it was checked every year with a spectrometer and was as good as the day it left the factory.

Although if losing your car for a day while mechanics pretend to be working on it for 6 hours and charging you £1200 floats your boat then fill your boots.

Removing the Silkat teabag is a wise precaution.