Big Turbo setup for my 4x4

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, have you got it back yet?? Are we going to see it at international ??:thumbup:

Get it back on Friday, yes it'll be at GTI International but not on the strip.

Eddy, I use photobucket for hosting... ;)

Bet you cant wait, should be absolutely stunning once fully run in and mapped for peak everything... he he. Won't be too shabby in the mean time either. :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a few thoughts on my experience of the new setup so far:

Gearbox - The longer ratios and extra gear are a big improvement, combined with the extra capacity off boost cruising is very good. I had a Diesel Geek short shift fitted and at the moment I don't like it at all, very notchy and takes ALOT of effort to engage. I'm going to try and adjust it again now it's had chance to bed in but if it doesn't improve it's coming off.

Spec Single Mass Ali flywheel - revs up very quickly but is quite noisy at idle and if revved without load. The noise at idle has been partially overcome by adjusting the idle speed and the noise certainly isn't enough to make me regret fitting it.

Spec Stage 3+ clutch - Nice and light which is good but is a little strange in use and takes a little more control than normal when setting off gently. It seems to have no problem handing the power, however I've yet to try a full on standing start launch.

Noise - The 3" DP and decat have made the car louder and there's definetely more drone on the motorway. I think this small sacrifice is worth the increase in performance though.

How it drives (0.7bar running in map) - Quite rough at low revs but very smooth above 3krpm, nice kick just below 4krpm when the turbo kicks in and keeps pulling to the limiter at around 7.5krpm. Even at this level of boost performance was significantly better than when running the K03s (240bhp/280ftlb). Only on road comparison when running this map was an RS6 which I stuck to but didn't have enough to overtake, the driver wanted a chat afterwards and claimed to be running 580bhp (which I doubt) and commented that he didn't have his NOS switched on and I wouldn't have kept up if he did.

How it drives (1.3bar initial performance map) - Now much smoother at low revs very easy to pootle round town etc.. Turbo now spools a little later at around 4.5krpm but comes in with a much bigger kick and acceleration becomes what I can only describe as brutal, runs out of revs very quickly thus I'm hoping for a raised limiter on the next map. On the road I reeled in a 997 C4S very quickly and another occasion exiting a roundabout onto a dual carraigeway with a Fireblade on my bum I put my boot down and he couldn't get past with him only gaining slightly when I was changing gear (which takes too long with the current diesel geek).

Not sure what the final power will be but yes there is more to come. I expect boost to go upto around 1.6bar and would also like the limiter raising. It won't be switchable AFAIK but should I wish I can lower boost using custom settings.

I'm in no rush, it's fast already. At the moment I'd rather have the rev limit raised than boost increased.

i'm affriad thats the wrong attitude there eddy :nono:

Need.More.Power. :)

I'm in no rush, it's fast already. At the moment I'd rather have the rev limit raised than boost increased.

cant you get it variable, that way you can get highboost for acceleration but if you want to do high speed runs you can back it off to get more top end speed

cant you get it variable, that way you can get highboost for acceleration but if you want to do high speed runs you can back it off to get more top end speed

Not sure that would be necessary, the reason I want the limiter raising is for more in gear flexibility rather than for top speed.

Who's remap are you running Eddy ?

I'm not sure I could live with the need to rev the nuts off it before the turbo comes in. Having said that I did have an ITR previously but it had a significantly higher rev limit (possibly higher than yours will be after the rpm rise).

Am I right in thinking you already have the modified Haldex ? How will that manage with the power?

Who's remap are you running Eddy ?

I'm not sure I could live with the need to rev the nuts off it before the turbo comes in. Having said that I did have an ITR previously but it had a significantly higher rev limit (possibly higher than yours will be after the rpm rise).

Am I right in thinking you already have the modified Haldex ? How will that manage with the power?

Remap is Custom Code Phase 3.

The turbo starts coming in around 4krpm and gives a big kick at 4.5krpm so not exactly revving the nuts off it (the VTEC on my CTR used to come in around 6krpm), a K03S doesn't hit full boost until around 3.5krpm so not a huge difference. I will do some vagcom logs of boost to compare to when I was running the standard turbo. Limiter is currently set at around 7.5krpm but is likely to finish up at around 8krpm.

The haldex seems to be doing a very good job so far. I haven't done an all out standing start launch but have used full throttle in the lower gears (including 1st) and it just puts the power down and feels solid, no squirming or wheel spin, it just does it's job. :)

Sounds good - are the externals of the car staying as they are?

For now....but I have a vRS tailgate spoiler to go on at some point and would also still like to do the grill and roof bars.

Not sure that would be necessary, the reason I want the limiter raising is for more in gear flexibility rather than for top speed.

Should not be a problem raising the limiter closer to 8000.

If you ever want to go for top speed on that famous private road or one of Germanys finest then being able to drop the boost will help the final figure achieved. With prolonged high boost the safety features on the VAG electrics will back things back to stop it all going bang, with less boost you actually get more performance

Should not be a problem raising the limiter closer to 8000.

If you ever want to go for top speed on that famous private road or one of Germanys finest then being able to drop the boost will help the final figure achieved. With prolonged high boost the safety features on the VAG electrics will back things back to stop it all going bang' date=' with less boost you actually get more performance[/quote']

Ah right. It already does over 160 and I'm not sure I want to go more than that but you never know!