Cherished number: dealership using number plate for 'free' advertising

exaudi

I have a cherished number, (for which i paid £200 in 1973 and on every car since has been on standard plates with just the name of the name and postcode of the dealer under the registration number as required by law). However, the Skoda dealer I went to has gone one step further by adding underneath the number (front and rear plates) the website of the dealership. I see no reason to be expected to freely advertise the dealership on my car so I want to change it, i have made enquiries elsewhere about getting new plates made but before going ahead I contacted the dealership and asked for a refund as I see no reason why I should have to pay twice. The dealership said it their standard plate and no one has ever objected before (as if that is good enough reason): I didn't think to ask about the plate beforehand because it didn't cross my mind that the dealer would be so assumptive: I keep getting emails telling me how much they want me to be pleased with their services etc. The dealer has refused to refund, instead has offered to make up new plates. Fair enough. Except that I would have to drive around 50 miles round trip. So the dealer has offered to make up the plates, pre-drill the holes and post them to me so i can fit them myself, that's ok. 

I'd be interested in what others think about a Skoda dealer expecting buyers to advertise without permission the dealership business free of charge. 

I seems to be common practice for car dealers to advertise in this or a similar way. Back in the day when I got my first car (1970s) it was a sticker in the rear window - which if I tried to remove would leave a messy gunk behind which was a pain to clean off. If I let it, it would really wind me up!

For a generic registration number then I'm quite chilled about having the dealer name on but if I'd splashed the cash on a personal number then I would, like you, not want it bespoiled in any way.

I have no objection to the dealer's details on the numberplate because they can only be read close-up. I always used to remove the rear window stickers, until one time I asked the dealer to stop doing it. None of our recent cars have the stickers. Reminds me of years ago when Wolesley cars had a backlit logo above the radiator. My dad's business partner used to remove the bulb, saying he refused to give free advertising!

I think that your dealer has been very understanding and acted with considerable restraint.

If you are unsatisfied and make that be known to them they will be less likely to do so when faced with similar demands in the future.

I say the above on the basis that they will have a stock of their standard stock blank plates & will now have to sub out the work to someone else whose logo or advertising you may equally not like.

I do get the free advertising bit, I would insist that any dealer that had fitted a sticker to a rear window remove it and make good before I would accept the car, I bought a second hand car where the number plates had a backing frame whose sole purpose was to carry the original dealers advert, I removed them immediately.

Edited by J.R.

It's just some text on a plate... as an advertising medium I'd hazard a guess it's quite poor too. 

If I wanted something different I'd remove the fitted plates and change them (which I usually do anyway, to plates with no other markings apart from the reg number).

• Like 2

Why stress?

get down to halfrauds, buy some reflective yellow and white tape to cover the website, job done.

• Like 1

Advertising on a number plate without the permission of the person (not) paying for it and who will be driving it around.

I said (not) because I have a suspicion that the friendly helpfull dealer handled the cherished plate transfer and provided and fitted the new plates free as part of the service.

No good deed goes unpunished!

7 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

@EvilIn the UK it is not having the identification of those that made the plates.

So BSU standard number & name or trade mark of maker and name or postcode of the supplying outlet.    Plenty about without, but then they are not 'legal'.

I mean the specific offence.

For someone (not you) to state they're illegal they (again, not you) must know the specific offence and be able to provide a link.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Advertising on a number plate without the permission of the person (not) paying for it and who will be driving it around.

I said (not) because I have a suspicion that the friendly helpfull dealer handled the cherished plate transfer and provided and fitted the new plates free as part of the service.

No good deed goes unpunished!

The 'friendly helpful dealer charged me £30 inc Vat to provide and fit the plates! 

Edited by john999boy
Typo

"The 'friendly helpful dealer charged me £30 inc Vat to provide and fit the plates! "

Type: should be 'dealer'. 

How to I edit a post before submit reply? 

Edited by john999boy
Typo

2 minutes ago, exaudi said:

"The 'friendly helpful debater charged me £30 inc Vat to provide and fit the plates! "

Type: should be 'dealer'. 

How to I edit a post before submit reply? 

In the top right corner of your post there's 3 little dots...... should be an edit option there if it's available..

I know it's minimally relevant to legality or otherwise, but MOT doesn't care about supplier details: 0. Identification of the vehicle - MOT inspection manual: cars and passenger vehicles - Guidance - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

You do not need to inspect the following items:

• the supplier’s name
  • postcode
  • BS number
  • logos or emblems outside the minimum margin around the registration number
  • Thanks 1

(on-line source: https://www.bnma.org

From 2003, all number plate suppliers in England and Wales were required by law to register their details with DVLA. Scottish and Northern Ireland suppliers followed to join the register in 2008. The register was introduced because the Vehicle Crime Reduction Action Team (VCRAT) was established to reduce vehicle crime by 30% by 2004. VCRAT recommended a mandatory registration scheme to control number plate distribution, with the goal of reducing fake number number plates by making a consumer prove they are entitled to the registration.

At the bottom centre of a plate, the supplier's details must be shown in a clear and legible way.  The print should be non-retroreflective and should contrast enough with the colour of the plate to be visible.

The supplier details must show the following, matching the RNPS:
(Register of Number Plate Suppliers)
    •    the supplier's name
    •    the supplier's postcode
The RNPS is regulated by the DVLA and UK-wide enforcement officers visit customer's premises to check plates are meeting their requirements.

A plate must not show:
    •    website address (unless this is is the sole trading name of the company)
    •    telephone numbers, logos

Lipped plates are an ideal alternative to advertising on number plates while remaining within the British Standard and RNPS regulations. Lipped plates are a practical solution for motor traders that still wish to advertise because the advertising is outside the legally-controlled part of the plate design.
The exact shape of the lip varies slightly by manufacturer but usually allows for 12mm x 400mm or more of advertising space.

to edit, the only options under the three dots to the top right are Report, Share. 

16 minutes ago, exaudi said:

to edit, the only options under the three dots to the top right are Report, Share. 

Maybe it's an option for freedom members....  I dunno fella, sorry, it's there when I click the 3 dots. 

I think the edit is there for everyone, but only for a short while after posting if you don't have Freedom.

Possible that it only appears after a qualifying number of posts though?  Have a look in a couple of posts time, in case it is 10.

1 hour ago, e-Roottoot said:

@EvilIn the UK it is not having the identification of those that made the plates.

So BSU standard number & name or trade mark of maker and name or postcode of the supplying outlet.    Plenty about without, but then they are not 'legal'.

Indeed, and to be double sure of non-compliance don't forget to have that illegal licence plate done in either italics, or that weird 3D floating text that is doing the rounds now.

(Not forgetting to take off the front plate and put it in the front window.....for God knows what reason).

• Haha 1

Yeah here in Portugal they love to do that stuff, they add a small plastic stripe underneath the plate, i actually told them to remove it as soon as i saw the car for the first time in the dealer, they removed it no fuss or anything, i don't do publicity for free and it's not like there are many skoda dealers in the area where i live anyway so anyone who wants a skoda will most likely go there anyway, lol.

1 hour ago, Evil said:

For someone (not you) to state they're illegal they (again, not you) must know the specific offence and be able to provide a link.

So, if you are correct, an offence is only an offence if the person who warns you that it is an offence knows the specific statute involved. You won't mind quoting the statute that supports your unique interpretation of UK law then.

10 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

So, if you are correct, an offence is only an offence if the person who warns you that it is an offence knows the specific statute involved. You won't mind  quoting the statute that supports your unique interpretation of UK law then.

Edited because I'm a bit confused...

Not at all... You claimed they were illegal so, presumably, you know the law that is being broken.

Edited by Evil
Random confusion prevailed

27 minutes ago, Wino said:

I think the edit is there for everyone, but only for a short while after posting if you don't have Freedom.

Possible that it only appears after a qualifying number of posts though?  Have a look in a couple of posts time, in case it is 10.

Different member groups get different amounts of time to edit their posts - I don't think we have a qualifying post count as well though.

Freedom members get an unlimited time to edit.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Evil said:

Not what I said... or, rather, what I meant.

So what did you mean then? My statement about the requirement for number plates to show the name and postcode or landline of the supplier in order to be legal was correct. It remains correct even if I wasn't in a position to find the specific statute involved immediately upon your posting.