Recommend me a TV Series to watch.

john999boy

8 minutes ago, @Lee said:

If you're into politics then Blair and Brown: A New Labour Revolution is worth a watch on iPlayer.

I am indeed, to some degree. I shall need to give that a watch at some point. :)

• Like 1

A series, not a film - but After Life with Ricky Gervais on Netflix is well worth watching. Two short seasons so far and I've just finished watching season 1.

Not previously been a fan of him but this is insightful, funny and sad. Great cast - excellent.

Language alert. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Warrior193 said:

A series, not a film - but After Life with Ricky Gervais on Netflix is well worth watching. Two short seasons so far and I've just finished watching season 1.

Not previously been a fan of him but this is insightful, funny and sad. Great cast - excellent.

Language alert. 

Absolutely fantastic two series. It can bring a tear to your eye and have you howling with laughter minutes apart. Fantastic observations on life and coping after death.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 04/11/2021 at 09:26, AnnoyingPentium said:

Fawlty Towers. Classic. I've got the box-set on VHS still, and if you line up all the cases, it spells out Fawlty Towers on the spine! :)

Fawlty-Towers-Complete-1998-VHS-Box-Set.jpg.43248100f3f2b85ff4375143eeee4c78.jpg

Picture isn't mine, but you get this idea.

I've the same box set in the cellar. And a Sony VCR. Shame the TV has no SCART connection :D

On UKTV Play, Sharpe. Brilliant series written by Bernard Cornwell ( I loved his Viking books) 

It's in widescreen and I think minimum of 720 HD. Sean Bean before he did it for Yorkshire and for England, James.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, @Lee said:

I've the same box set in the cellar. And a Sony VCR. Shame the TV has no SCART connection :D

I've only got the tape set without the box case. And a fairly high-end Panasonic VCR (and a Thorn one in the loft) which still works with my TV.

One of my favourite motoring based series has to be James May's Cars of the People if you can get your mitts on it. :)

Edited by AnnoyingPentium

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've started watching Cowboy Bebop on Netflix. 2 episodes in and it's very encouraging. It is a series about a couple of mismatched bounty hunters, one of them with a dark secret, OK nothing new there then, but the look of the series is superb. It's a sort of mash-up of the Fifth Element meeting a Wushu movie. It's reminiscent of the surreal look that the Fifth Element achieves, as if Cyberpunk had taken a different direction. The music is great fun too and the action scenes are in the vein of an amusing John Wick stylee fight. John Cho has an excellent body too if anyone is interested :) 

The picture quality is gorgeous with a mix of Noir and Neon tones, as well as being in Dolby Vision and the audio in Dolby Atmos. 

Now the bad news. It wasn't well received by the critics, especially those that compared it to the original Animé series (which I have never seen) and so the 10 part series was cancelled after the final episode. Anyhoo, it's a bit different and I love the look of it. 

• Like 1

Good reminder. It's the last series too, isn't it? I suppose many of them will end up dead by the end of it though 😞 It's a bit like Breaking Bad, in that the earlier humour eventually disappeared and was replaced by unremitting misery. I still enjoy it, though (I'd watch anything with Jason Bateman and Laura Linney is always worth watching), but wish it would lighten up. 

• 5 weeks later...

I've started to watch SEVERANCE on Apple. Dystopian future? Well almost, Sci-fi? Yes, but it's not the main thing about this show. In fact it's hard to sum it up. There are only 3 episodes released so far, but after the intriguing and slow first episode, it becomes a little more addictive. As long as you enjoy a slow show to savour, great acting, intriguing script and spot on directing from Ben Stiller (yes, that Ben Stiller) it's a terrific show so far. 

Here's the Guardians write up of it's initial offering

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/feb/18/severance-review-ben-stillers-workplace-fantasy-might-make-your-mind-explode

9/10 so far (might be 10/10 by the end of the series if they don't muck it up)

12 hours ago, john999boy said:

I started watching that and lasted for about 10 minutes! 

It may have been the endless corridor walking that triggered the off button?

I think you have to get to the end of the second show, before you start to realise there is something more afoot. It's quite an interesting notion that you have become two separate people and that if you choose to leave the company (if indeed you can) you have to kill the person that works at the company effectively. I have my suspicions of what to come based on the opening credits. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've just watched the new series of The Ipcresss File starring Joe Cole (looking like a grown up Joe 90) and Lucy Boynton (looking like Alexandra Bastedos). It's great fun. 

For those of us who grew up as kids watching tv detective shows in the late 60s and 70s, this show will look very familiar. It has wonderful production values (think of things like The Champions and the Persuaders etc), with terrific lighting and jaunty camera angles (although these may become a bit wearing if they continue to use them in every episode), the sound is all close mic'd voices and the music is suitably evocative of a time gone by. It's witty and moves along at a decent pace, the cast are excellent, who doesn't love Tom Hollander and on the first showing of the series it seems one to not miss.

Great fun indeed :) 

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

I've just watched the new series of The Ipcresss File starring Joe Cole (looking like a grown up Joe 90) and Lucy Boynton (looking like Alexandra Bastedos). It's great fun. 

For those of us who grew up as kids watching tv detective shows in the late 60s and 70s, this show will look very familiar. It has wonderful production values (think of things like The Champions and the Persuaders etc), with terrific lighting and jaunty camera angles (although these may become a bit wearing if they continue to use them in every episode), the sound is all close mic'd voices and the music is suitably evocative of a time gone by. It's witty and moves along at a decent pace, the cast are excellent, who doesn't love Tom Hollander and on the first showing of the series it seems one to not miss.

Great fun indeed :) to

I'm about fifteen minutes in and, sorry for this but, I think I'll be balls deep into it! Harry Palmer, Cold War era? Yes please!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, @Lee said:

I'm about fifteen minutes in and, sorry for this but, I think I'll be balls deep into it! Harry Palmer, Cold War era? Yes please!

It looks glorious, at least in my eyes. I think after Peaky Blinders finishes this season, this will be my go-to drama (assuming they make more series, can't see any reason why not) 

• Like 1