Weird clicking/popping sound O4, vRS Estate Petrol DSG

49 minutes ago, Grusio said:

I managed to get an appointment today, sos module is broken and has to be replaced. They ordered a new one and will have it in 2 days so hopefully I will have my car back for the new years eve.

They gave me Skoda fabia with manual transmission. It's really hard to drive manual after 5 years with dsg only 😅

Fingers crossed. 

You could've asked for an auto, no? 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

Apparently they have updates for cars that we don't have in the UK. 

There's a discussion about it somewhere on here.

The have to rewrite all the code from left to right to right to left in order to work in your cars 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Today I picked up my car, the sos module has been replaced for free, the strange sound is gone :)

They updated my software to the latest available in PL (u can figure what is what in the attached photo ;)) 

20211229_171448.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Grusio said:

Today I picked up my car, the sos module has been replaced for free, the strange sound is gone :)

They updated my software to the latest available in PL (u can figure what is what in the attached photo ;)) 

20211229_171448.jpg

Lucky you - 1803! 🤪

• 1 month later...

I’ve had my car a year now and this weekend it’s started doing this.  

I’ve had several major updates of the software both via the airwaves and in the dealers (twice). 

Any reason it would just start doing this?  Most of the time the popping is followed by the SOS system failing.  

I had the australian fixes and the SOS chip replaced and so far the issue has completely stopped. I drive a lot across europe and noticed it was just random timing the cracks and pops so I think your dealer might be telling porkies.

12 hours ago, HerrFlik said:

I had the australian fixes and the SOS chip replaced and so far the issue has completely stopped. I drive a lot across europe and noticed it was just random timing the cracks and pops so I think your dealer might be telling porkies.

Even if that minor niggle were fixed there's still many more that happen at random on every day out. What's the point in having the SOS fixed when other more serious issues happen all the time?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, my car has been doing it for a while and it also has had updates.  It is booked in for more.   On two occasion recently when the popping interfered with the infotainment system and sat nav.  Once when the whole thing wouldn't even load, so no sat nav, no radio and I couldn't even use my Android navigation.  Luckily I knew the route/  The second time the SOS emergency call error appeared and 10 minutes or so later, the sat nav went into a melt down.  I was about 5 miles from my destination, and it started taking me in the opposite way and kept asking me to turn left, even if it was a cul-de-sac.  This time I didn't know the way, and was relying on it to get me there.  The popping was an annoyance before, but it now seems to start interfering with the sat nav, I am a bit more concerned.

So, last Thursday my car went in to have the SOS fault looked at (it was so frequent I had to turn the eSim off). After many software patches, I am pleased to say it hasn't occured since (fingers crossed).

Interestingly, the service person had several papers with changes that had been applied - but he wasn't able to show me them or let me keep them...

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/03/2022 at 20:07, Skody123 said:

So, last Thursday my car went in to have the SOS fault looked at (it was so frequent I had to turn the eSim off). After many software patches, I am pleased to say it hasn't occured since (fingers crossed).

Interestingly, the service person had several papers with changes that had been applied - but he wasn't able to show me them or let me keep them...

Lucky you.  My dealer doesn't know why it keeps happening.  I can live with the error message, but when it makes the sat nav goes haywire, that's when I get annoyed.  I mentioned it when I took the car in for another software update but they said they couldn't find any errors on the system.  They told me if it happens again, I should drive to my nearest dealer so that they can record any faults showing and report it to Skoda.  I mean, honestly...! 

17 minutes ago, Pibo said:

Lucky you.  My dealer doesn't know why it keeps happening.  I can live with the error message, but when it makes the sat nav goes haywire, that's when I get annoyed.  I mentioned it when I took the car in for another software update but they said they couldn't find any errors on the system.  They told me if it happens again, I should drive to my nearest dealer so that they can record any faults showing and report it to Skoda.  I mean, honestly...! 

My dealer is Alan Day Southgate. Maybe you can get the updates done there...

• 3 weeks later...

hi there,

I've had the same issue a few times - worst was 3 weeks ago on my way from North Wales to London for work - SOS Error message came on, then the Infotainment unit reset itself and then just 'hung' on the loading settings page - couldn't access the unit as all, see the satnav on android auto, nothing was working. Even resetting the infotainment unit manually didn't work. Eventually found a temp fix on here by pressing the SOS button, turning the engine off & on again, and then cancelling the SOS call when the voice came on - this eventually let the infotainment system load - cost me 15 minutes or more trying to sort this.

I too have noticed the popping noise pretty much every week and then the SOS light going Red and then back to Green, but so far the issue with the infotainment unit hasn't happened again.

Has anyone had an update/patch from Skoda to sort this issue?

Thanks.

21 hours ago, sherman84 said:

hi there,

I've had the same issue a few times - worst was 3 weeks ago on my way from North Wales to London for work - SOS Error message came on, then the Infotainment unit reset itself and then just 'hung' on the loading settings page - couldn't access the unit as all, see the satnav on android auto, nothing was working. Even resetting the infotainment unit manually didn't work. Eventually found a temp fix on here by pressing the SOS button, turning the engine off & on again, and then cancelling the SOS call when the voice came on - this eventually let the infotainment system load - cost me 15 minutes or more trying to sort this.

I too have noticed the popping noise pretty much every week and then the SOS light going Red and then back to Green, but so far the issue with the infotainment unit hasn't happened again.

Has anyone had an update/patch from Skoda to sort this issue?

Thanks.

I went in for an update, and probably change of the SIM hardware, or something similar, and no SOS issues so far. Just go to your dealership and they should know what to do. At least mine did...

I've recently bought an Octavia within the last month, and this nonsense with the 2 popping noises SOS & yellow warning triangle appearing, it sends the infotainment system haywire and then tries to restart. Funny thing is that when I get home or where I'm going, I turn the ignition of lock the car, come back to it and it resets itself and the warning message is gone???? Rang my Skoda dealer twice about it now and been promised someone will recontact me from the service department.............I'm still bloody waiting! 😠😡 The last person I spoke to said "If the fault clears itself there's nothing we can do because it won't show up on our diagnostic system" ????? Not impressed to say the least ☹️

1 minute ago, Royrover said:

I've recently bought an Octavia within the last month, and this nonsense with the 2 popping noises SOS & yellow warning triangle appearing, it sends the infotainment system haywire and then tries to restart. Funny thing is that when I get home or where I'm going, I turn the ignition of lock the car, come back to it and it resets itself and the warning message is gone???? Rang my Skoda dealer twice about it now and been promised someone will recontact me from the service department.............I'm still bloody waiting! 😠😡 The last person I spoke to said "If the fault clears itself there's nothing we can do because it won't show up on our diagnostic system" ????? Not impressed to say the least ☹️

This defi itely is a known issue that's solved by either a software update, SIM hardware change, or both. I went in for a software update a few months ago and never had this issue since (fingers crossed).

• Like 1

Surely it shouldn't STILL be happening though on the new cars??? 🙄 (Sorry I should know better before I said that 😆) I've just read that its been affecting them since 2018, thought they'd have sorted it by now?

• Like 2

I had this last year and they performed a software update which worked for about 4 months.    7 weeks ago it started happening again, once a week at first but over the past 4 weeks it's been every journey and again affecting the infotainment system, especially the ability to use Satnav, onboard or Apple.

It was booked in again for today and I was told shortly after leaving it with them that there were no fault errors logged and therefore nothing they could do, oh and if it happens again to book it in!!!  I calmly said it is happening every day and that you had fixed it once before so why can't you do that again.  I was then told that there was no software fix for this currently and they'd be in touch again when they had one 🤬 

Thank  goodness I've only got 5 months left on the lease. No more Skodas for me.

• Groan 1

Well, a bit of progress today (after I had a rant at someone for NOT ringing me back for the third time of being promised that someone would!!!) The service manager has just rang me to tell me that the fault with the SOS system has not been fixed by the software upgrade that was released in the past (I told them about the release in June 21 that was posted on here).

Apparently "SKODA" technical boffins had said that the recall that was done then has not fixed all cases and that another software upgrade that is being worked on now is due to be released the back end of this month which I will be able to book mine in for the  on the 3rd May.

They'll need the car for the whole day as its a lengthy update......Watch this space!!!

I then asked why they were still selling brand new vehicles with a known fault with them for which she squirmed ummed and arrred and couldn't give me an answer for. She tried saying it was a relatively new fault??? To which I laughed at and said 'What?! There are cases going back to 2018 that I can see just looking at the web.

Oh well, just have to put up with it for a week or so till the supposed fix

• Groan 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh well, today's the day! Dropped off at 8.30. Grumpy service manager asked if the fault was showing now? (Which it wasnt) she said because my car was brand new it had missed the update? To which I replied 'How can that be when it was only released last week'. I don't hold out much hope!🙄