Electric Scooters (irresponsible users)

gumdrop

I had a narrow squeak, a "grown up" shot off the pavement onto the road in front of me. He/She was not alone there were a couple of kids on the scooter with the driver!

Another scooter had been left in a car owners drive and he reversed over it, you don't expect a low profile obstruction in your own drive.

As far as I can see there are no requirements for any sort of qualification (except money) to be able to ride one of these things.

Except for some specific examples these elecric scooters are illegal. You cannot ride any not in a legal scheme (Beryl Scooters in Bournemouth for instance) in any public space, only on private land. They are considered to be motor vehicles, they require wearing of helmets, a driving licence and insurance. As they are illegal you cannot obtain insurance.

There was recently a case of a legal electric scooters who collided with a walker on the seafront in Bournemouth. It was reported that the rider is in a heap of trouble. There was also reports of an adult hiring a Beryl scooter in Bournemouth using a valid licence and then allowing her pre-teenage son ride the scooter. I gather she is in trouble.

The government is considering making them legal, but like you, I worry about the standard of riding from what I have seen.

I am also concerned about these being advertised on TV and internet, frequently being advertised without any info about their legality. I did look in Halfords, and at least they have notices there giving the legal info, but I wonder whether this is lip service. One of our local barbers' shops (?) appears to be selling them with a notice saying 'ideal for commuting'. Sotty, no they're not.

• Like 1

Lots of complaints on the local group.l about our trial scheme (Voi) 

Ours all have 'numberplates' so you can report dangerous riding, riding on pavements an inappropriately parked ones. I had to report one left on a roundabout last week. 

There's a new feature in test which can detect dangerous riding and riding on pavements which was posted on the police twitter feed a few months back. 

Our local scheme gives a 3 strikes. 

Northants police are doing big crackdown on private scooters, riding bikes on pavements, and bad riding of the scheme scooters. 

https://www.northantslive.news/news/northamptonshire-news/e-scooter-police-crackdown-after-5858344

Haven't seen any updates since this started though. 

Edited by gadgetman
Link to news article

2 hours ago, gumdrop said:

As far as I can see there are no requirements for any sort of qualification (except money) to be able to ride one of these things.

There is a requirement that you have to be typing on a smartphone whenever the thing is in motion.

There is a similar one for those wheeled balance platform things, the riders must have their hands in their pockets at all times.

For those whose mean parents wont indulge them with either there is the composite rule for riding a pushbike, it can only be ridden hands free and the hands must be in the jacket pockets at all times unless using a smartphone.

• Haha 1

I think the majority around our way are used sensibly, with the exception of two.  A bloke with a petrol powered one (angry bee in a tin can motor) who bops along quite quick on road, path, wherever, and a younger man on an electric one who's asking for trouble, in that it's very fast and I've seen him overtaking cars on our 30mph road,  no glasses or helmet, so I can't help but wonder what's going to happen when he encounters a large bluebottle doing 20+mph in the opposite direction.

Gaz

27 minutes ago, cheezemonkhai said:

We’ve had a few near misses near us where they’re driven like nutters.

With the trial ones at least they’re speed limited, but the illegal private ones are being used on footpaths at stupid speeds.

The Bournemouth Beryl scooters are limited to 12.5 mph. That's if you can locate one.

EDIT. It appears that the Beryl scooters will soon be fitted with number plates to make it easier to report careless/reckless riding.

Edited by Routemaster1461

Number plates . Why stop there.  Insurance and a spot of rad tax, and a test of both scooter and rider. And then ,at same time include cyclists in this scheme. Problem is ,where do we mandate they ride. Recently I've seen a few scooters pulled up on the pavement. And then a few minutes later cyclists changing between pavement and road .

I just struggle to see how they will work well in the UK.

They've had them for a few years in Germany.

But we have a better cycle path infrastructure here.

In the UK you're often left riding on the road.

Anyone can buy one and they're advertised as being "road-legal". So you register it like a vehicle and get a little number plate. Insurance is requirement before you can register them too.

They're also very strict on them here. Police frequently do checks to make sure people are using them while drunk etc.

I was recently stopped at a red light at the junction of Church Street and High Street in Epsom, High Street being two lanes either way. A nutter youth on a ‘letric scooter passed me on the inside, drove across my side of the High Street, round the pedestrian island, across the dual lanes on the other side and proceeded along the gutter on that side against decent, road tax paying citizens.

On 07/09/2021 at 20:17, gadgetman said:

There's a new feature in test which can detect dangerous riding and riding on pavements which was posted on the police twitter feed a few months back. 

Our local scheme gives a 3 strikes.

Sounds good... Is that to the face? Should do the trick, with any luck... :D

• Like 1

I hope that proposed number plates are the same size as on a car or motorcycle

and that the DVLA will be able to trace, scooter riders, with one phone call.

When will the police be issued with "Blue Light" scooters .....

The Registration number should not be on wheeled person power or electric powered personal mobility vehicles, Scooters, Bikes, Motability Scooters etc.

(It should be on vehicles that are on hire / loan, but then the people using them should have their personal number / registration.

That should be issued to people in the form of a 'Patch'  that must be displayed on a hi viz belt that is legally required to be worn if in Public Places, Roads or Cycleways.  

That should be applicable to all of any age other than children on a tag along bike / trailer.

Dead easy for any Police, Traffic / Community Officers to see if being worn, if not then how they catch someone is the problem. 

@gumdropThe Police in the UK are not aware now who might be driving a vehicle with a Registration Number or if the people that have it are the Registered Keepers.

ANPR flagging up reg numbers means nothing unless they show not being road legal. 

Waterproof Reg Patch with velcro required to be fixed on a harness, vest / jacket, back pack or what ever. 

Screenshot 2021-09-10 at 12.50.11.jpg

Edited by e-Roottoot

Funny how the rest of the world can cope with e-scooters but not the UK ?

I reckon the only reason they have not been made legal is that the Govt have yet to find a way to tax ownership and use. 

I'd use one if my licence wasn't at risk; I have health issues that would be helped by mobility assistance, I really don't want a sit-down granny scooter that weighs a ton and fills the boot, but an electric kick scooter that folds up nicely in the boot would be perfect. 

• Like 3

Parts of the rest of the world and Europe can cope with young people getting driving licences to start learning to drive before allowed for the youths in the UK.

Then the rest of the world have a population where they can deal with alcohol.

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, KenONeill said:

I can top that; 2 "youfs" on one scooter, proceeding along a pavement against the main direction of traffic, oh and there is a cycle lane on both sides of the carriageway.

4 hours ago, VRS_White_Hatch said:

Saw one last night, about 8pm so quite dark- and no lights, riding down the middle of the road at about 15 mph, and obviously, wearing all black. 

Why did I get an urge to knock him off? is there something wrong with me? 

1 hour ago, b1ackb1rd said:

I reckon the only reason they have not been made legal is that the Govt have yet to find a way to tax ownership and use. 

I'd use one if my licence wasn't at risk; I have health issues that would be helped by mobility assistance, I really don't want a sit-down granny scooter that weighs a ton and fills the boot, but an electric kick scooter that folds up nicely in the boot would be perfect. 

Did you miss the 2 posts I've just requoted upthread?

Take a system where the registration is on the area you live and linked to the person.

Then a single plate can be used across all your vehicles, including bikes/e-scooters etc.

The insurance industry could make a fortune from a small uplift to cover vehicles "just in case" you ever drive them :)

Even better if you included insurance stickers and tax stickers on the plates ;)

2 hours ago, b1ackb1rd said:

But then we have irresponsible cyclists too, including ebikes, and these don't need license plates, tax or insurance etc 

Just how it is, but that could change,

cyclists cycle & kick scooters need pushed with a foot unless going down hill and the legal e-Bikes are pedal assist so some effort required not just a accelerator. 

The e-Scooter thing is just a kettle of fish or a can of worms that the UK Government are going to come up with more rules or laws for as the 'Hiring' thing is not going to be the solution.

Points on a Driving Licence if a person has one & a fine, or just a fine if they have no driving licence needs a bit of attention from Law Lords. 

• Like 1