Wheel/Tyre Drone Humming Noise

Hi everyone. Hoping someone can help with some previous experience with this. Sorry for the length, I just wanted to give as full of an account as possible…

I bought the car maybe 6/8 weeks ago, vRS TDI and just ticked over 94k miles, just had a Skoda dealer service last week and nothing untoward came back from the brakes or suspension during the health check. They also did a full brake fluid replenish during the service. The tyres that came with it when I bought it were quite new but budget cheapos. So I knew I’d be replacing them fairly soon.

The first motorway drive after I bought it I realised I had a quite annoying tyre droning type noise, from the left hand side and 90% sure it’s towards the front tyre. The noise becomes audible around 45mph and gets faster/louder as the wheels turn faster. If I steer right at speed the noise changes from a hum to something more constant. 

The alloys were refurbed 4/5 weeks ago so I’d like to think any buckles or issues would have been found, also the chances of the same alloy being replaced on the same axle would be slim? 

I had Hunter 4 wheel alignment and 2 brand new rear tyres fitted last week as the insides were on their way out. This didn’t fix the problem. 

I've just had 2 brand new fronts fitted today as I was almost certain the noise was from the poor manufacturing of the budget tyre (possibly an air pocket under the tread or something). 

Turns out the noise wasn’t down to the tyres and it is still present. Im

now thinking the brakes could maybe be warped? I can’t think what else could cause a noise that increases with rotational speed? The brakes however appear in good condition (rear left seems slightly dull compared to all the rest and I’ve just done 100m back from the lakes yesterday, like it maybe isn’t biting the disc at the same pressure as the rest?) and I don’t get any really noticeable feedback that would concern me when braking. 

I don’t want to keep replacing bits that are serviceable if I can help it. I also can’t keep doing my weekly commute with the resonance pounding inside the cabin. So wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction or offer any advice.

Thanks in advance.

Rob. 

If the brake discs were warped you'd feel it squirreling and shaking under braking - I know this because I've warped 2 sets in 40k miles....

Therefore I think you can rule the brakes out.

You checked all the bushes for the control arms up front? Tracking rods in good nick?

I’ve got Eagle F1 AS5’s on the rear and Kumho Ecsta PS71’s on the front. 225/40/18’s on stock Gemini alloys. 

TPMS has been reset and tyre pressures are at 34psi. I haven’t tried to change the pressures to be honest, but with changing the whole tyre I’d expect a change in the noise if something like the pressure could influence it? It’s the same as it was previously on the different tread. I actually think it would be hard to distinguish a change between the pitch unless it was drastic, it’s like a low bassy hum that just fills the cabin. It seems to vary with different road finishes as well which is why I jumped two feet into new tyres.

I have spoken to Skoda this afternoon and booked it in for some invest in a week and a half’s time when they can next fit me in. I’d really like to fix it myself but also don’t want to keep misdiagnosing it and costing even more money. 

When it was on the Hunter alignment the rear NS tracking was out and adjusted, I think he tweaked all four corners but the RNS was worst, so that needed sorting at least. 

Rob. 

I would also suggest checking the wheel bearing. I have replaced 3 on my Mk II, the first was at around 100k. All 3 were as a result of annoying droning and not as a result of an MOT failure, in fact one garage checked the bearing and were doubtful it was the source of the noise. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, it’s one of those things that if it is a bearing I’ll be annoyed I didn’t just change it myself 😅 it is disheartening though when you spend money and the problem isn’t fixed. 

Hopefully if they diagnose it and correct it, they will waive the invest charge 🙈 the lady on the phone hinted that’s what would happen anyway. 

Rob. 

Got a very similar issue, front left wheel droning from about 45-55mph then again at 70mph. 

Tyres changed, all wheel bearings, drive shafts, suspension all checked by two mechanics who say all looks to be in good condition...

Have lived with it for around 2k miles now and to be fair dont hear the sound until i remember its there.

Will be very interested to find out the results of this one Robmac1

Bet you got same as issue as me, i am sure my issue is the shock absorbers, posted on here few week back. Had car in garage to replace and they couldnt do as the bearing at the top was seized on and they wouldnt carry on without my confirming ok to replace shocks and bearings. So imo the noise i am hearing is the bearing shot and seized, which maybe what your hearing. Will confirm in a 2 of weeks when take car back in.

Thanks 

• Like 1

On 09/09/2021 at 11:36, RobMac1 said:

The first motorway drive after I bought it I realised I had a quite annoying tyre droning type noise, from the left hand side and 90% sure it’s towards the front tyre. The noise becomes audible around 45mph and gets faster/louder as the wheels turn faster. If I steer right at speed the noise changes from a hum to something more constant. 

Steering right at speed rolls extra weight to the left - to me the extra noise doing this indicates left wheel bearing. 

When my son had a tyre hum issue on his 2016 mkIII turning left/right didn't really affect it.

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/09/2021 at 21:27, RobMac1 said:

I’ll hopefully find out on the 20th when it is in at Skoda. Really hoping my issue isn’t what you’re saying though, as that sounds expensive 😅 

Any update to this RobMac1?

Sorry about the delay, I completely forgot to update the thread. 

As I expected after changing practically everything else, it was the front near side bearing. I went for an investigative test drive with a master tech and he said straight away 99% that was the issue, he just couldn’t be certain it was front right or left as the drive shaft is hollow and the sound can sometimes travel and appear elsewhere.

So with that, Skoda changed the bearing and released me of £500 🤮 that included £100 invest fee, £150 parts, £59 4 wheel alignment and the rest must have been labour. 

if I had a similar noise again I wouldn’t hesitate in changing it myself. However I’m happy that the noise is gone and the car is running as it should for the first time since I’ve owned it 👍🏻 

• Like 2

Ahh sorry for seeing this that late - I would also advise you to check the bearings.

Same thing happened to me just before the end of warranty on the 5th year - Skoda dealer wasn’t sure is it front left or right one. It turned out to be both after they changed the bearing only on one of the sides first 😂

Unless tyres are suspect and you replaced yours with a new alignment it is often a wheel bearing. And as a previous poster said they often get noisy before they show excess play. Only when you take it out and rotate in your hand do you notice it is rough.. glad it's fixed. 

Edits.

Changed my rear nearside with a skf bearing when I bought it. Cost me £120 in parts.  Did take me a while on the drive. Independent quoted £350 from memory. Haven't done the wheel alignment yet. 

Edited by TheClient

• 1 month later...
Forgot to add to this thread sooner.

My issue was the front left wheel bearing.

Took the plunge at a local mechanic, booked through whocanfixmycar for just under £200, was the incorrect price though the supplier price matched the quote on this occasion.

No more bearing noise, very happy :)