Amundsen Mib2 Map Updates 2022/23

Hello to everyone. I just order new Kodiak ( facelift ) 1.5tsi dsg with Amundsen. Now how to determine wich is model pof Amundoson? I am looking for sam specs on web and info but I can not nowere to find specs like that. I would like to download latest maps and make upgrade when its come to me so I now should know what maps do I need. I do not want to download wrog maps for wrong model. So please help me and sorry for my bed english. Thank you for your help !

1 minute ago, DaniC said:

Hello to everyone. I just order new Kodiak ( facelift ) 1.5tsi dsg with Amundsen. Now how to determine wich is model pof Amundoson? I am looking for sam specs on web and info but I can not nowere to find specs like that. I would like to download latest maps and make upgrade when its come to me so I now should know what maps do I need. I do not want to download wrog maps for wrong model. So please help me and sorry for my bed english. Thank you for your help !

If it's a new Kodiak that will be a mib3, not mib2, the thread. Your maps are downloaded automatically over the air in principal. All 2020 models and beyond changed to mib3 across the VAG brands.

Probably should say best of luck 😂. You should find threads in the relative parts of the board. The downloads you see for mib3 on the VW site you can't do anything with yet. It's all via your eSim in the device and a good cellular connection. The maps are downloaded in fragments as required. It's a waiting game till you get one, is it going to work, is it not, user set up correctly etc. That's what you will see on the threads.  So yes if you maintain connected services beyond the free period you automatically get the latest maps.

Well I've not had much luck...   Tried using the official skoda portal with my vin  number, downloaded and installed the filed onto my sd card, plugged it in to the car and can see the new map and version number in the info, but it won't calculate any routes further than a few miles away.  I get an error "error accessing navigation data".  have gone back to the previous version of maps and they still work fine any ideas anyone, might it be that i need a firmware upgrade?  Any help much appreciated.

6 hours ago, villi123 said:

Well I've not had much luck...   Tried using the official skoda portal with my vin  number, downloaded and installed the filed onto my sd card, plugged it in to the car and can see the new map and version number in the info, but it won't calculate any routes further than a few miles away.  I get an error "error accessing navigation data".  have gone back to the previous version of maps and they still work fine any ideas anyone, might it be that i need a firmware upgrade?  Any help much appreciated.

Feels like your download is corrupted. Stick to MartiniB's links in the first post. Steer clear of Mac's use a PC. If you do use a Mac run CleanMydrive on the SD card and follow the VW Mac instructions on the in zipping program to run. Unlike a mib2 high (Columbus) there is no data validation on the map data. It wont corrupt your unit but it won't work properly if you have duff data on the card. Stick to the 16gb zoned files in case hacking the map file 32gb to fit messes up the file e.g.. The language edit you get wrong. SD cards can also fail. Buy a new 32gb Skoda one if it's that. May not be accessing part of the card with a new map if it's in a failed part of the card. It wont be the firmware I'm sure.

Skoda have also been using zipping programs of recent which lead to issues unpacking their files with unzip programs. If PC based the inbuilt file manager unzip program works fine in this instance. Right click on the zip file in the filemanager, open the inbuilt unzipped of Windows, drag and drop out. Gave an example of that in the matching Columbus thread to this release. Traditionally you were suppose to use 7zip following the VAG guidance but Skoda switched systems which provided varying levels of zip compression which upset unzipping programs. The built in Windows Filemanager can cope with that.

The VW guidance I've attached which covers Mac's and the need to use 7zip on a PC now eclipsed by Skodas funny zipping which you may find. Best to use MartiniB's Seat or VW links to avoid this issue but follow VW guidance on procedures.

There are my suggestions. Happy Xmas.

Discover_Media_MIB_Gen.2_June_2020_EN.pdf

Edited by Tell
add more on unzipping hints

On 25/12/2021 at 02:42, villi123 said:

Tried using the official skoda portal with my vin  number, downloaded and installed the filed onto my sd card, plugged it in to the car and can see the new map and version number in the info,

from Škoda's portal you can download only previous 1730 release 

for latest 1810 use links to VW's or Seat's files

Thanks for the guidance, Tell.  I have gone through everything again and it now seems to work-ish.  But every now and then it still get the "error accessing navigation data," message and it won't calculate a route.  If i go back to my original app data the issue goes away so i have ruled out it being a dodgy or failing SD card.  I will leave it a while and see how it develops.

1 hour ago, villi123 said:

Thanks for the guidance, Tell.  I have gone through everything again and it now seems to work-ish.  But every now and then it still get the "error accessing navigation data," message and it won't calculate a route.  If i go back to my original app data the issue goes away so i have ruled out it being a dodgy or failing SD card.  I will leave it a while and see how it develops.

Have you tried the alternative downloads in post 1 from MartiniB ? eg. a different zone. I'm wonder whether there is a specific problem for the geographical area you are looking at. The maps work fine in the UK.

The other test is you can do in the advanced menu is to put the navigation system into demo mode. You then place the car somewhere else by street, town etc then navigate to a destination. Try it in the UK say if your download covers that. If the maps have been incorrectly prepared wherever you live, it would show it working in the demo area but not where you are. If that's true keep your fingers crossed that, that will get fixed in the next release.

In some parts of the world the maps are not fully digitised so you might get an instance of the road showing but the navigation not working since that's a separate set of data it uses. You see that sometimes in car parks where the road is drawn but it won't navigate. In East Europe, Middle East etc you can expect to see that effect. Obviously an error if they had it previously but not now. 

On 29/12/2021 at 13:06, Tell said:

Have you tried the alternative downloads in post 1 from MartiniB ? eg. a different zone. I'm wonder whether there is a specific problem for the geographical area you are looking at. The maps work fine in the UK.

The other test is you can do in the advanced menu is to put the navigation system into demo mode. You then place the car somewhere else by street, town etc then navigate to a destination. Try it in the UK say if your download covers that. If the maps have been incorrectly prepared wherever you live, it would show it working in the demo area but not where you are. If that's true keep your fingers crossed that, that will get fixed in the next release.

In some parts of the world the maps are not fully digitised so you might get an instance of the road showing but the navigation not working since that's a separate set of data it uses. You see that sometimes in car parks where the road is drawn but it won't navigate. In East Europe, Middle East etc you can expect to see that effect. Obviously an error if they had it previously but not now. 

Thanks Tell.  Some further investigation this time with the links MartiniB posted.  I get the same issue, maps load (22/23 EU AS 1810) and can be seen but routing seems intermittent.  I live just outside of Maidstone, so nowhere exotic and i would expect it to be digitised in great detail!   Interestingly, when i drive away from my local area say a few miles (perhaps onto another map tile) the routing seems to work fine, puzzling......

40 minutes ago, villi123 said:

Thanks Tell.  Some further investigation this time with the links MartiniB posted.  I get the same issue, maps load (22/23 EU AS 1810) and can be seen but routing seems intermittent.  I live just outside of Maidstone, so nowhere exotic and i would expect it to be digitised in great detail!   Interestingly, when i drive away from my local area say a few miles (perhaps onto another map tile) the routing seems to work fine, puzzling......

Probably a production problem, they may have slightly moved the roads in that area so it put you off road or left out the element that does the navigation. Probably the map allignment. Mib1 one had tuning parameters to get the car on the road. Mib2 high teaches itself via the roads turns after you have done something significant to the unit. Not sure what mib2 standard has.

Think you can hope the issue will be sorted in six months.

Kent not exotic 😉.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I have just found this page from a facebook group for audi's and nav updates. I am searching some threads to see if anyone has successfully updated these files to the Audi S3. The MMI is Mib2. If anyone knows of a thread in this forum that would be great. Thank you

Is it correct to relabel the relevant folder, eg 22 (AU&NZ) to 00 and can then delete the other not needed folders except the EEC folder? So all that would be on the SD card is \maps\00 and \maps\EEC

The reason why I ask is that my audi will not detect any files to update, so tried with the whole ROW folder, then have relabelled to 00. Im not sure if there is another method for other VAG vehicles but this is the first attempt for me and havn't really found too much info out there. Thank you

I noticed you have posted on both of the threads. Does your vehicle run with a map card in it, this thread or with the maps held internally in the unit. That unit is otherwise called a mib2 high. Mib2 standard for this thread. I've answered you mib2 high question on the other thread.

As far as Audi is concerned a fly in the ointment is that Audi still uses Mapcare which limits your ability to free updates. VW and Skoda scrapped it. There are technical ways around it for mib2 high and mib2 standard a trick. But before getting into that which unit is in the car. One that uses a map card or one that runs the maps within the unit with no map card in and the maps show.

Just now, Tell said:

I noticed you have posted on both of the threads. Does your vehicle run with a map card in it, this thread or with the maps held internally in the unit. That unit is otherwise called a mib2 high. Mib2 standard for this thread. I've answered you mib2 high question on the other thread.

As far as Audi is concerned a fly in the ointment is that Audi still uses Mapcare which limits your ability to free updates. VW and Skoda scrapped it. There are technical ways around it for mib2 high and mib2 standard a trick. But before getting into that which unit is in the car. One that uses a map card or one that runs the maps within the unit with no map card in and the maps show.

Hi Tell, so I believe the maps are loaded in the unit itself as there is no map SD card. 

Yeah sorry I posted on both threads as I have spent most of my day trying to get my head around this and which version my MMI may be. So with this I think mine would be a Mib2 high and belongs in the columbus thread. Sorry and thank you for the help in clearing this up for me. 

But I am definitely searching for a way to trick the system and get around it.

image.png

23 minutes ago, Pezza82 said:

Hi Tell, so I believe the maps are loaded in the unit itself as there is no map SD card. 

Yeah sorry I posted on both threads as I have spent most of my day trying to get my head around this and which version my MMI may be. So with this I think mine would be a Mib2 high and belongs in the columbus thread. Sorry and thank you for the help in clearing this up for me. 

But I am definitely searching for a way to trick the system and get around it.

image.png

Ok see other thread where if it's a mib2 high and you want to trick it.

On 19/10/2021 at 10:07, MartiniB said:

Files inside:    2021.05.12
Downloadable:    2022.05.09
Published:    2022.--.--

becomes a tradition, one year old 1810 map files placed on Škoda's server with half year delay,
first post has been edited.

1 minute ago, MartiniB said:

becomes a tradition, one year old 1810 map files placed on Škoda's server with half year delay,
first post has been edited.

They have to hold it back so VW drivers feel special 😂. See whether they leave the Seat FeC out of this June's 2022 mib2 high release. I'm keeping the additionsl Skoda one in, just in case. Excitement.

Oops. The mib2 high for Seats you just add the Skoda FeC using Mib Tool / change the firmware Mibsolution etc. I'm hoping if they fiddled with the standard release by messing up the FeCs then a similar solution would be found.  People like a challenge.

Seat currently have messed up the international web page where the map updates sat... all may not be lost, just their web people might not be very good. We'll see.

MartiniB eagle eyes reported on Seat side this...

New "AS" maps V16 2023 or

So we are off now on the June updates a month early. I see they had your 197 high release. Test them tomorrow.
  • Thanks 1