Dashcam Cable

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know where I can buy a left angle mini USB to right angle USB C cable around 30cm in length. It's to fit into the Nextbase window hub and then into the USB C port on the mirror mount.

Would have been better if the USB C connector was on the left for UK cars.

I do have the hardwire kit as it came as a bundle but think the USB C port would be the easiest and quickest way to install (providing I can source a cable).

Any help would be great. If I cannot find a suitable one I may make a custom cable. Why Nextbase chose mini USB these day's I don't know.

Thanks everyone.

John

I tried several different cables, and ended up with buying a 1 meter long one and just turn it around the mirror holder (or whatever the name is of the thing holding the mirror to the mount). You can't see the cable at all, so works for me and have some extra length if needed...

• Thanks 1

Hi All,

I went for an Amazon cable called "Duttek USB C to Mini USB Cable, Mini USB to Right Angle USB C Cable, Right Angled USB 3.1 Type C Male to Mini USB Male Converter Cable Cord for Digital Camera and More Mini USB Devices 0.26M/10INCH" - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075M4CQHZ

And I used it to fit my Nextbase camera as shown in the pictures. It tucks in nicely behind the rear view mirror and is fairly central below the lane assist camera.

Hope this helps,

Mark

IMG_20211020_082917596.jpg

IMG_20211020_082934789.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark Hiscock said:

Hi All,

I went for an Amazon cable called "Duttek USB C to Mini USB Cable, Mini USB to Right Angle USB C Cable, Right Angled USB 3.1 Type C Male to Mini USB Male Converter Cable Cord for Digital Camera and More Mini USB Devices 0.26M/10INCH" - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075M4CQHZ

And I used it to fit my Nextbase camera as shown in the pictures. It tucks in nicely behind the rear view mirror and is fairly central below the lane assist camera.

Hope this helps,

Mark

IMG_20211020_082917596.jpg

IMG_20211020_082934789.jpg

Nice one!

Seems I gave up the hunt too soon...

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mark Hiscock said:

Hi All,

Hope this helps,

Mark

Thanks for sharing. I have ordered one :D 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i believe the connection on the mirror is a ignition live not a permanent live, so no power to dash cam overnight

you can change the battery if it's a nextbase  you have, batteries available on ebay and some are an upgrade from the original battery ie should last a bit longer

• 2 months later...
On 29/10/2021 at 14:28, weehappypixie said:

Thanks guy's for all the suggestions. I eventually used the cable recommended by Mark Miscock https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075M4CQHZ but in conjunction with the left angle cable from this set https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072B821VV 

I simply used a piece of heatshrink over the connector to prevent them coming apart and then hid it under the headliner. I'll upload a few pictures when I get home but it looks very tidy and professional looking.

Hi John@weehappypixie Did you have a chance to take any photos? I'm going to install my Nextbase camera soon, so interested to see what your install looks like.

On 18/01/2022 at 10:30, JamesK said:

Hi John@weehappypixie Did you have a chance to take any photos? I'm going to install my Nextbase camera soon, so interested to see what your install looks like.

Hi James,

Sorry I never got a chance and actually ended up making a custom cable and then wrapping it with the hdmi extension cable from my Nextbase 622GW. I have the Nextbase rear view camera module and extension (not the one that sticks to the back window) that is stuck to the front screen. Both the USB and HDMI cables are wrapped in the black OEM fabric tape that is hidden behind the mirror. I'll take a wee pic or two tomorrow when it's daylight to show you what I mean.

It does the job just nicely and more importantly was non destructive and removable.

John

• Like 1

11 hours ago, weehappypixie said:

Sorry I never got a chance and actually ended up making a custom cable and then wrapping it with the hdmi extension cable from my Nextbase 622GW. I have the Nextbase rear view camera module and extension (not the one that sticks to the back window) that is stuck to the front screen. Both the USB and HDMI cables are wrapped in the black OEM fabric tape that is hidden behind the mirror. I'll take a wee pic or two tomorrow when it's daylight to show you what I mean.

It does the job just nicely and more importantly was non destructive and removable.

Hi John. Thanks for this. I'd definitely be interested in seeing some pics. Could you also share some pics of the rear camera install?

On my Octavia 2 I had the rear camera installed (the one that sticks to the back window). The placement did become annoying as it needed to be placed in the centre of the window below the high level brake light. That along with the higher rear spoiler on the vRS meant I felt it did restrict rear vision a bit.

On my Octavia 3 I opted to not bother having the rear camera re-installed.... That being said, I do regret it as I was rear ended in December and the car was written off, so feel I need to look at something for a rear camera.

Many Thanks... James

4 hours ago, JamesK said:

Hi John. Thanks for this. I'd definitely be interested in seeing some pics. Could you also share some pics of the rear camera install?

On my Octavia 2 I had the rear camera installed (the one that sticks to the back window). The placement did become annoying as it needed to be placed in the centre of the window below the high level brake light. That along with the higher rear spoiler on the vRS meant I felt it did restrict rear vision a bit.

On my Octavia 3 I opted to not bother having the rear camera re-installed.... That being said, I do regret it as I was rear ended in December and the car was written off, so feel I need to look at something for a rear camera.

Many Thanks... James

Hi James,

Sorry to hear about you being rear ended. Hope no one was hurt.

I took a few pictures today, sorry but the light is overcast today but you should get the just. You can see them here.

John

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, weehappypixie said:

Hi James,

Sorry to hear about you being rear ended. Hope no one was hurt.

I took a few pictures today, sorry but the light is overcast today but you should get the just. You can see them here.

John

Many thanks for this John. That looks really neatly done, and as you say, easily removable too. Out of interest what are the pictures like on the rear camera? I'm very tempted to try this route of having a rear camera.

As for the crash no-one was physically hurt, but emotionally I was pretty shaken for a while.,, this was on top of all the insurance issues to deal with. Getting a decent valuation for my vRS was a real challenge, but got there in the end.

13 minutes ago, JamesK said:

Many thanks for this John. That looks really neatly done, and as you say, easily removable too. Out of interest what are the pictures like on the rear camera? I'm very tempted to try this route of having a rear camera.

As for the crash no-one was physically hurt, but emotionally I was pretty shaken for a while.,, this was on top of all the insurance issues to deal with. Getting a decent valuation for my vRS was a real challenge, but got there in the end.

To be honest, I haven't actually downloaded any footage yet. It's obviously not as good as a dedicated camera on the rear window but you can see the cars behind you on the wee preview. I'll upload a test video for you soon.

John