Columbus Map Update 2022 (MIB1/2 HIGH)

1 hour ago, Tell said:

You can move to 195 now 😄.

Those cards are sold for people who feel unable to copy cards. On the plus side you do know now what it's suppose to look like on the card.

Whats 195 ? 
Well it was money well spent, zipping , unzipping , etc . 
Cost was £27 , a sd card is £7 ish .

Answer your question... The next release... this thread which is out. 192 was the June 2020 release, 195 is the November 2020, the latest. You go the one before. Still it's a good learning curve.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

You use all files, school boy mistake to use too much intelligence. It dives into both of those directories. Just historic internal naming. The VW ìnstruction are attached which are good for Skoda and Seat. Obviously they are for the November 2020 release so the file names different and screen layout slightly different. Skoda did change its zipping method on the latest release. Conversation in the thread. You might just as well use the VW release where 7zip will work. Note Mac OS instructions if you are using a Mac. Stringent validation is used in the unit as the files are read in. Mac's leave additional characters in the files that will stop the import dead in its tracks. CleanMydrive Mac utility run on the SD removes that. Thats covered in the VW instructions.

Discover_Pro_November_2020_EN.pdf

1 minute ago, Tell said:

You use all files, school boy mistake to use too much intelligence. It dives into both of those directories. Just historic internal naming. The VW ìnstruction are attached which are good for Skoda and Seat. Obviously they are for the November 2020 release so the file names different and screen layout slightly different. Skoda did change its zipping method on the latest release. Conversation in the thread. You might just as well use the VW release where 7zip will work. Note Mac OS instructions if you are using a Mac. Stringent validation is used in the unit as the files are read in. Mac's leave additional characters in the files that will stop the import dead in its tracks. CleanMydrive Mac utility run on the SD removes that. Thats covered in the VW instructions.

Discover_Pro_November_2020_EN.pdf 424.91 kB · 1 download

Thanks for the response Tell. I did load all files as I must have glanced over this part, but unortunately my MMI shows the following message "no valid update data found on the medium". So my investigation continues. At least the MMI recognises the Columbus files because it would not recognise the Amundsen ones. I was tring to figure out which MMI mine was. I have a 2019 audi S3 and Audi Australia are useless in releasing updates.

Post crossed answer your other question on the mib2 standard thread. Having read that and what you have said you are in Australia. If it's an original Australian car not an import then you would use the RoW file for mib2 high. That is this thread, but as I said on the other thread Mapcare will limit you on an Audi. Traditionally you got a retrofitter to hack the navigation FeC, on vehicles which use Mapcare, Audi and Seat still do, VW and Skoda don't. A more recent approach is Mib Tool which had been developed by hobbyists in Europe which cuts out the retrofitter since its done in the car. Only works with specific firmware but the hobbyists adapt it if not supported. You need to be on a board with the hobbyists to help for that. Not sure if they post around here. 

Basically you need to be quite clear about whether you have a mib2 standard with map card, or mib2 high with the maps held on the SSD in the unit. If it's a mib2 high and Audi Australia don't want to sell you at map update or you don't want to buy it then a retrofitter is required to adjust up the navigation FeCs to "lifetime" then the RoW import will work or you go down the Mib Tool route. I know where the Seat enthusiasts hang out for this but not the Audi ones. Think you'd need an enthusiast since the fragment of code for your Australian firmware release would not exist unless you got Ozzie enthusiasts (files in the tool reveal what it works with). Unless you got a European import car that an expat imported then head scratching on getting the map in if mib2 high. Mib2 standard can be done. Covered in the other thread albeit mib2 standard Mapcare workaround.  

7 minutes ago, Tell said:

Post crossed answer your other question on the mib2 standard thread. Having read that and what you have said you are in Australia. If it's an original Australian car not an import then you would use the RoW file for mib2 high. That is this thread, but as I said on the other thread Mapcare will limit you on an Audi. Traditionally you got a retrofitter to hack the navigation FeC, on vehicles which use Mapcare, Audi and Seat still do, VW and Skoda don't. A more recent approach is Mib Tool which had been developed by hobbyists in Europe which cuts out the retrofitter since its done in the car. Only works with specific firmware but the hobbyists adapt it if not supported. You need to be on a board with the hobbyists to help for that. Not sure if they post around here. 

Basically you need to be quite clear about whether you have a mib2 standard with map card, or mib2 high with the maps held on the SSD in the unit. If it's a mib2 high and Audi Australia don't want to sell you at map update or you don't want to buy it then a retrofitter is required to adjust up the navigation FeCs to "lifetime" then the RoW import will work or you go down the Mib Tool route. I know where the Seat enthusiasts hang out for this but not the Audi ones. Think you'd need an enthusiast since the fragment of code for your Australian firmware release would not exist unless you got Ozzie enthusiasts (files in the tool reveal what it works with). Unless you got a European import car that an expat imported then head scratching on getting the map in if mib2 high. Mib2 standard can be done. Covered in the other thread albeit mib2 standard Mapcare workaround.  

Thank you so much for the information. At least you have now pointed me in the right direction. I see it's not as easy as the rest of the family vehicles. I suppose they want to still make money by charging almost $900aud for updates. At that price I am happy using android/auto and waze as its free and up to date. But I will ask around the aussie forums to see what I can find. Once again thank you so much for your help and information and to prevent me from going around in circles with something that would never work LOL :)

22 minutes ago, Pezza82 said:

Thank you so much for the information. At least you have now pointed me in the right direction. I see it's not as easy as the rest of the family vehicles. I suppose they want to still make money by charging almost $900aud for updates. At that price I am happy using android/auto and waze as its free and up to date. But I will ask around the aussie forums to see what I can find. Once again thank you so much for your help and information and to prevent me from going around in circles with something that would never work LOL :)

There are a bunch of ones called Mib Toolxxxx it's the mib tool one you want written by Chillout not any xxxx ones, he does write another one which I don't think you want. You find that on a Google, the one he wrote for this was for the Mib2 Collective as I call them or they used his code and adapted it. The collective are not for profit individuals who hate retrofitters making money out of quite simple programming as they see it. They write in Bash. 

I will look later to see which firmware releases of Audi are listed within it. The tool makes a backup of a key module of the firmware then replaces it with its own one. If it hasn't got that module it invites you to send the backup to the "collective" (as I call them). They then study what has been sent and give you a module back. It realises on helpful people with Bash skills. I'm not sure the helpful person I communicate with covers Audis but he sorted out my Seat and someone else's for free. The latter one was in a pickle where a retrofitter had made a pigs ears of what they had done. They then remotely sorted it out giving them a new module to clear out the rubbish left by the retrofitter. I got into using the tool when Vag on one release dropped Seat from it, so you populated the car with the Skoda navigation FeC as well as the Seat one. They are happy to run with other brands FeCs. I'd spotted a couple of posts bragging about they had that release on their Seat car, one was Chillout the programmer himself who said he wasn't bragging... and a Spanish board Seat mod who's retrofitter had populated the car with every lifetime navigation FeC from every VAG brand. Then it became clear. During lock down couldn't drive to a retrofitter to get it done so reverted to Mib Tool and DIY. Some retrofitters are rubbish eventually found a decent one but reverted to DIY. Retrofitters method put the unit on a bench and use a program called whatthefec to change the FeC. Mib Tool delivers the retrofitters methods as DIY in the car using the green screen. It uses a back door that was found to add FeCs into the unit.

There are retrofitters in Australia I've seen it being discussed, depends how good the one is if you go that route. The first one I used just extended the navigation FeC by a year but pretended it was a lifetime FeC as Skoda and VW. Had to get them to "correct" this a year later. Photographing the FeC screen before and after and his Polish mumbling about a FeC. I subsequently decoded the Seat ones from the before and after pictures, so it became apparent how it worked. Posted up a table so that people with Seats could understand when their Mapcare was up. My message was if using a retrofitter make sure they don't short change you for repeat business. The collective know all the FeCs now so put them in their not for profit tool. The lifelong FeC is just a hex code at the end 30+ years away. mib2 map releases will probably stop in 2025 in any case based on VAG mib1 published time table. They give 5 years free map updates after the model is superseded so puts it at 2025 for mib2, as mib3 was 2020. 

There is a German DEB board, Digital Elite Board search under Audi and Mib Tool all in German but worth a read. If it says GEM as well you are in the correct area (Green menu). That's where the German speaking collective hang out. The Seat link on the Google covers the Seat English speaking one. A pan European project 😉. Probably like Eurovision Australia would be allowed.

https://www.google.com/search?q=digital-eliteboard mib tool%3Aaudi&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-m

I'm trying to update to the latest maps but it can never find any info on the sd card. I've tried different cards, formatted them in different ways., used updates from the skoda website using the vin  used updates from links on here. Nothing works. 

Not sure what the problemem is. Do I need a newish version on the nav before I can get the latest? My current ones are below.

20220227_113738.jpg

3 minutes ago, etskoda said:

I'm trying to update to the latest maps but it can never find any info on the sd card. I've tried different cards, formatted them in different ways., used updates from the skoda website using the vin  used updates from links on here. Nothing works. 

Not sure what the problemem is. Do I need a newish version on the nav before I can get the latest? My current ones are below.

20220227_113738.jpg

Was it in Fat32 on a 32gb SD card and not using a mac. Following the Vag guidance I attached further up. Stick to the VW download, unzip using 7zip, you shouldnt have problems.

It uses the signature on the files. If you open them about resave it will fail. Use a mac but not use CleanMydrive on the SD card it will fail. Both lead to the signature failing so it won't see the update.

Read down from this post.

Known issue with 7zip on the Skoda site. You can use the built in unzipped in Windows Filemanager or use the VW download with 7zip. Skoda changed their compression software so it throws up errors on 7zip since they use variable levels of compression. The built in Windows tool is more accepting. MartiniB uses another tool as he says.

It then comes up latter in the thread with naysayers checked it again and posted up the analysis. Probably best to still to the VW download that MartiniB posted at the top of the thread with 7zip or use the Filemanager build in one.

See also this link.

Two images. If you use the Skoda file, open as that example that uses the built in Windows unzipped, right click. Second image if VW file, open with 7zip.

20220227_173740.thumb.png.30c6e499fba61fbe1a13c46b06fbe41b.png

Zip files, sit on it. Right click, Click Windows Explorer... that's the built in one which comes free with Windows, it does the job. Drag and drop to a directory you created for it. Then copy all of that onto a blank SD card, fat32, 32gb. No issues.

Posted that up before when people got confused. Basically Skoda are zipping the files in a way that 7zip throws up errors but we knew that at the start of the thread. So we don't use 7zip on them but use the Windows built in method. No issues or in MartiniB's case his favourite unzipping software 😉.

Edited by Tell
posting the links in
  • Like 1

OK download it again and uninstalled then reinstalled 7zip. Was still getting the same error,  then tried sd slot 2 and it finally worked :biggrin:.

Now I just need an up to date poi for speed cameras.  I was using poibase for these but they seem well out of date now.

Edited by etskoda

Mine takes it in either slot I reckon... I pull both cards out then put the map card SD in so it doesnt get confused.

I'd give you the Poinspector site where I'm Radas the programmers official technical author so it seems. Does take some effort setting it up then you use Pocket GPS World POIs. Problem with freebies and rip off you don't know their pedigree and may well get out of date.

https://poinspect0r.blogspot.com/?m=1

The advantage is you can use the old Skoda trick of importing a destination as a POI. Tap on it and then save as a destination. That way your sat nav looks like a traditional one with destinations shown up on the screen. What would we do without practical Skoda drivers 😉. I got 350 destinations imported that way. Useful when revisiting places.

Some GPS knowledge of x,y coordinates useful for that.

Possibly why with mib3 they made it so "easy" it's useless 😉. Mib2 does contain a proper traditional navigation system which you can augment into a proper navigation system with bells and whistles.., whilst mib3 ain't. I'm waiting for mib5 myself 2030 🤣. I'm hoping by then VAG will have returned to its roots or I'll by a Chinese MG from the garage up the road.

Poinspector came into its own again after VW pulled the POI import website. They have a habit of doing that, they did it with RNS the unit before mib1. They dont support the customer base. There is / was a Skoda alternative but that was ropey. There are some Excel sheet macro people about that offer the same functionality of Poinspector but don't give you pretty screens. The db3 database it writes for import is well documented.    

• 1 month later...

June is when we expect to see the next one unless MartiniB finds it early.... that's available on direct links to servers of the respective brands, whilst Skoda, VW and Seat take a time to wrap their web page around it. So nothing unusual, all is still good. Wouldn't expect to see anything till atleast mid May but definitely mid June.

Edited by Tell
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I tried a download onto my Macbook - all went well with the zip. Won't open to release files - Error Code 79 Inappropriate File or Format. Advice please because I've been blocked by Skoda on Twitter having posted a complaint earlier in the year. 

Screenshot 2022-05-02 at 13.37.31.png

12 minutes ago, AndySuperb67 said:

I tried a download onto my Macbook - all went well with the zip. Won't open to release files - Error Code 79 Inappropriate File or Format. Advice please because I've been blocked by Skoda on Twitter having posted a complaint earlier in the year. 

Screenshot 2022-05-02 at 13.37.31.png

Suggest you use MartiniB's VW link in the first post of the thread. All the same files, just zipped differently. Skoda had a weird compression on this year's release which causes unzipping programs to stumble. Since you are using Mac the VW recommendation is:  

If the map update is performed using the Apple® OS X operating system you may find that  
Discover Pro does not recognise the map material or displays it incorrectly. This is due to a  
lack of compatibility between the “7 zip” program and the OS-X operating system. In addition,  
the OS-X operating system has a tendency to create hidden additional files on external data  
media. We therefore recommend that OS X users use the “Keka” unzipping program. We also  
recommend using the “CleanMyDrive” program to remove any hidden files.

You use Keka as the unzip program and you must use CleanMyDrive app run on the SD card. The unit does a full signature check on the map material import. MacOS can add additional characters into the file which then leads to the validation failing. CleanMyDrive hoovers out all of the Mac bloat characters stuff put in the file by the Mac system. Just one character variation will knock the import out. In your case its stumbling on the unzip, but you still need the CleanMyDrive in.

• Like 1

• john999boy unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought this may be of interest, I have just installed update 0197 ECE 2022/23 

just downloaded from skoda portal using my vin 

unzipped straight to a 64 gig sd card and installed on my columbus in around an hour.

20220521_114129.jpg

12 minutes ago, alan100 said:

I thought this may be of interest, I have just installed update 0197 ECE 2022/23 

just downloaded from skoda portal using my vin 

unzipped straight to a 64 gig sd card and installed on my columbus in around an hour.

20220521_114129.jpg

MartiniB has a thread for that:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This may or may not be the best place to answer this question but I am at a loss to solve it . The problem is a long saga. To be brief . The Skoda connect services on my car produced  error Skoda connect. I took the car to the dealers who reflashed something and in the process removed the FEC code for the voice enhancer. It went in again and they reflashed 5f and in doing so put back the fec for the voice enhancer but removed the fec for media command. I purchased the car less than 12 months old as an approved used. Since then with  customer services involved the maps  won’t   update in the car via Wi-Fi as they have duplicated a my poi licence( see pictures ) which causes an error when it connects to the server and Skoda seem clueless how to remove it. Also they cannot re add the media command fec 00060200 as it appear it was installed legitimately post production but Skoda  uk are no longer supporting the app which they have removed from the App Store so they won’t reactivate it as they say the accessory code is no longer available and they can only reflash from FAZIT. So I have an online update system that crashes and an icon for media command that if used will often cause a system crash The car is a sportline plus 2020 MIB 2.5 unit . 

Any assistance e would be appreciated . 450A792F-8F33-43BE-B1DF-BFCE755E9B03.thumb.jpeg.f3a4e6fa42def005fd7914a2b93df015.jpeg

626DE747-74F6-4BB3-B44D-E67F29A332C4.jpeg