How to fill a Yeti - luggage!

Beanfeast

Hi all

I've got a 2012 Yeti 170bhp 4x4, it's been fantastic at pulling the caravan, taking the dogs and transporting us all over the UK. But now I've got a new challenge for it!

I've booked a cottage holiday to Germany for 11 days and invited my mum along, which equates to 3 adults, a 14 year old and 2 dogs - plus luggage. The dogs take up the boot, I could build a small shelf under them for a little more storage, and I've got a roof box - but I'm worried that's not enough space for everything.

Have you got any ideas for creating more storage space in a Yeti? I'm thinking if I can get hold of some sort of Landrover type roof rack cage that extends further forwards and back - that would give me more space to store luggage. Of course I'd be careful about weight and distribution on something like that. Problem is I can't seem to find anything the right size that would fit on roof bars...

Any ideas would be massively appreciated!!

Well simple really.

Apart from leaving your Mother at home.....

Put the two dogs into kennels.

Problem now solved.

😏

Enjoy your holiday.

Carlo has now left the country.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nooo, we can't leave the dogs behind!! Mother left behind though.. to look after child also left behind... hmmm now there's something! 😈

Loved the Top Gear Yeti test, if I remember correctly it was better than a Landrover, faster than a Ferrari and cooler than an ice cream. 😁

Trailers are a pain, I tried that a couple of times - they limit your speed (might as well take my caravan), cost a load more on the tunnel and are expensive. Thanks for the idea though. 

What I do like is the idea of removing the middle seat, never though of that - would certainly gain an extra suitcase space. 👍

• Like 1

I agree but then you have limited space.

Plenty Roof Baskets that fit for around £99 on Ebay & Amazon. 

There are threads someplace.

Bigger basket carriers than this.

Someplace there is a pic of the one i have on my 3 door Shogun.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/458836-expedition-roof-rack

I will take pic later when lighter.

Steel Carrier that was about £79 and comes built, alloy ones are lighter.

Screenshot 2021-10-27 09.03.43.png

DSCN0081.JPG

Edited by roottoot

Avoid "rigid cases" and use "soft luggage" of the barrel bag type.  

But eleven days with a teenager, mother and two dogs, long UK drives at the beginning and end, I would need a holiday when I arrived back home.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Beanfeast said:

Hi all

I've got a 2012 Yeti 170bhp 4x4, it's been fantastic at pulling the caravan, taking the dogs and transporting us all over the UK. But now I've got a new challenge for it!

I've booked a cottage holiday to Germany for 11 days and invited my mum along, which equates to 3 adults, a 14 year old and 2 dogs - plus luggage. The dogs take up the boot, I could build a small shelf under them for a little more storage, and I've got a roof box - but I'm worried that's not enough space for everything.

Have you got any ideas for creating more storage space in a Yeti? I'm thinking if I can get hold of some sort of Landrover type roof rack cage that extends further forwards and back - that would give me more space to store luggage. Of course I'd be careful about weight and distribution on something like that. Problem is I can't seem to find anything the right size that would fit on roof bars...

Any ideas would be massively appreciated!!

Hire a larger vehicle;

Your caring generous nature has obviously got the better of your judgement.

I'm sure your mother would look after the dogs at home 🙂

Take care loading the roof ... the load limit is 100kg, less the bars, feet and any roofbox/basket you use, and remember each style of roofbar has different load capacities .... ie Thule square bars are only 75kg, where the aero/wing bars are 100kg.   Enjoy Germany and the wonderful Autobahns 🙂

Edited by TruckbusUK

13 hours ago, TruckbusUK said:

Take care loading the roof ... the load limit is 100kg, less the bars, feet and any roofbox/basket you use, and remember each style of roofbar has different load capacities .... ie Thule square bars are only 75kg, where the aero/wing bars are 100kg.   Enjoy Germany and the wonderful Autobahns 🙂

A Robin helicopter weighs just a littlemore than that!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, J.R. said:

A Robin helicopter weighs just a littlemore than that!

According to Wiki, an R22 weighs 399kg empty.  Fuelled up and with a pilot on boar I'd guess it would be closer to 500kg.  In the clip, the helo's rotors never actually stop rotating.  I'm pretty sure it was a "touch and go", a bit like the helicopter that "landed" on the summit of Everest in 2005.

Were there not some still photos of the combination at rest?

If you are OCD like me you will scrutinise the whole episode because the camera angles are carefully chosen to never show for more than a fleeting glance the platform attachment points but if you freeze frame at the right time you will see that there are several extra attachment points with spreader plates bolted through the roof, I bet if you DVLA search the registration number it was scrapped soon after filming.

Any modern car roof, the roof not the roof rack, will hold a couple of tonnes, not allowed any more in the UK but abroad you still see them stacked three high in scrapyards like they did until the 80's when roof pillars were much much slimmer & weaker.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I bet if you DVLA search the registration number it was scrapped soon after filming.

Sadly I did check this many years ago J.R., and you may be correct, as if I remember that registration number was indeed a Blue Yeti from the VAG fleet, but never made its first MOT ..... 🙃

• Like 1

From that link:

In a bid to show the toughness of the quirky high-riding vehicle made in Kvasiny, the TG crew slapped on a 100-kilogram (220-pound) roof rack on a completely standard Yeti and then landed a 600-kg (1,323-lbs) helicopter on top of it.

Fast forward to 2021, Skoda has now performed a similar stunt with the recently facelifted Kodiaq. As was the case with the Yeti a decade ago, the firm's largest SUV was not reinforced prior to becoming a helipad.

Edited by ejstubbs

1 hour ago, ejstubbs said:

From that link:

Complete bullsh1t, if you believe the article then do what I did and watch the episode very carefully using freeze frame or 1/10 normal speed, Youtube makes it easy.

Don't get me wrong, I truly believe that a Yeti roof would withstand the weight but the roof rails would probably collapse and in doing so rip out the rivnuts, at the very least the roof panel would become indented and the roof rails wobbly although I reckon the former.

None of which would be allowable for a helicopter landing H&S wise, even a slight drop to one side with the inertia and gyroscopic precession of the rotor blades would end up as a catastrophe.

Having seen the spreader plates & bolts it would not surprise me if they had fitted a roll cage inside and had matching mounting plates attached to that, very easy to edit around stuff like that.

You will be telling me next that they give actors guns loaded with live ammunition to shoot towards the cameraman/person.

• Sad 1