ACC Braking when overtaking

Hi, just seeing if anyone else has suffered this with their ACC, when ACC on and on dual carriageway or motorway. My car brakes when it detects a car on the inside lane to me. This is really annoying and dangerous because it does it quite aggressively if it picks the car or lorry up late. The car knows it’s not in my lane as the ACC shows it on the left lane next to me but immediately uses that car (highlights it white and the car in my lane it was tracking goes grey). If I touch the throttle, it immediately drops that car and tracks the car in my lane and accelerates again. I have to do this quite a lot so the ACC is virtually useless as my car is a danger to anyone following especially if the road ahead is clear and my car slams the brakes on (I got flashed twice on the M3 today) they think I am brake testing them!

I have the car booked in next week but not happy with this. I cant find any way to change the side of driving the car thinks (i.e. left hand or Right hand) I have an SE L without Matrix headlights so no settings there…..

Any ideas would be helpful as Skoda were confused and seemed to know nothing about this. I have had exactly the same ACC in my last Golf R and it worked perfectly so I know how it should work!!

ACC1.jpg

Edited by matrix2020

• matrix2020 changed the title to ACC Braking when overtaking

Was it SKODA UK or CZ that were not aware? 

Who was it, an engineer, senior management or the CEO?

Or was it some muppet at a Dealership who must never drive their products?

Funnily they never know about stuff, yet 'They all do that',  or Never heard of it before. 

1660872759_3-monkeys-620x2401-620x240.jpg.0597dcccb1b603ee629f930dd02f3a1f(1).jpg.c6f03a948e4e13fc47e5f7c71c0af8c2.jpg

Edited by roottoot

Skoda UK, hopefully its just the sensor is misaligned or there is a computer setting that sets what side the car is on... but because it knows which lane the vehicle is in, it worries me that its another software fault...

• Thanks 1

@matrix2020 your car is NOT unique! There are quite a few others on this forum who have (or had) similar issues and I am one of them.

My car also suffered the inability to change the SatNav units to Miles and the speedometer to KPH despite the settings options being available. A couple of months ago my car was fitted with a replacement component (virtual cockpit unit I believe) and some associated software - it was one of two vehicles selected to test the fix ‘in the wild’.

Over the best part of 2000 miles since the fix the speedo & SatNav units are selectable as they ought to be and the ACC works fine and does what it is supposed to do in terms of overtaking, not undertaking and bringing me to a halt (albeit that bit is a tad pointless with a manual ‘box, only tried it to prove it works - best reason out there to get a DSG next time!)

As yet I am uncertain if the fix is being rolled out more widely.

Sadly I had that hardware and software fix, updating the Hardware and software a couple of weeks ago, this has only happened since then, and sadly not always, probably only 70% of time when overtaking. 

Definitely a 'problem' they bloody well do know about.

There are numerous reports of the ACC displaying the unwillingness to overtake on the right.

My vRS has done it from day 1.

I was putting up with all the little niggling problems with the software but the SOS unit has now decided to spit it's dummy so i've booked it in.

Not confident they'll fix it though. 

• Love it! 1

Had the same prob in my last car a Superb , have it  in this car too. I know its going to happen and i keep my foot hovering over the gas and cancel the braking with a wee tap of the gas. Ive always thought the car thinks its undertaking as it would if you did this maneuver in the continent. Dont contact the dealer for a misaligned sensor as its not a warranty issue i believe and will cost. Its just an inherent flaw in the system for us in the UK and those down under. 

Most of Skoda's market drive on the op side of the road from us. 

• Love it! 1

Mine did this very infrequently at the beginning, then after recent software updates it's got much worse, so interesting to see I'm not the only one. 

Garage said they couldn't replicate the fault when I took it in a couple of months ago - when it goes in for it's next service I'm reporting it again and will make sure they take it on some dual to test it.  Getting quite annoying now as I have to keep checking the dash as I overtake which means my eyes are not on the road where they should be...almost makes it not worth using.

• Love it! 1

I've had my car since March and it's had almost all the common problems,

ACC refusing to overtake,

Complete crash of infotainment screen,

Popping noise and loss of SOS system,

Airbag warnings,

Heated seats turning on by themselves and refusing to remain off until they've been turned off 5 or 6 times,

Loss of heating/ventilation controls from the screen,

Warnings of loss of park assist, auto hold and a few other systems.

I've finally had enough and have the car booked in to the dealer next Thursday.

They tell me if they investigate and can't find any fault i'm liable for a charge even though it's under warranty.

What is the chance of them telling me there is no fault showing even though they MUST know the system is shyte?

Are the dealers still trying to deny there is a problem despite overwhelming evidence that there is?

Will they accept it's shyte and try a software update which 'may' or more likely 'may not' improve things.

Anyone any recent experience of this?

Thanks. Sorry for the thread hijack.

Actually thats not a bug, its a feature :)

In germany its illegal to pass from the right. https://www.german-way.com/travel-and-tourism/driving-in-europe/driving/autobahn/driving-on-the-autobahn/

GW Autobahn Rule 1: No passing on the right!
The first thing any driver needs to know about the rules of the autobahn is that passing on the right is verboten! It is illegal to pass a vehicle on the right.

So this is a feature which can be disabled with VCDS/OBD11. 

You can try to tap on the throttle. It will give your car permission to overtake from right lane.

26 minutes ago, Sir_Ron_Norris said:

Your original post sounds a nightmare; it is putting you (and others) at significant risk. So here's the work-around - switch off ACC! You're the boss, drive the car don't let it drive you.

What’s more annoying it that it’s a €500 extra that doesn’t work properly. 

• Like 1

On 07/11/2021 at 10:05, Sir_Ron_Norris said:

Your original post sounds a nightmare; it is putting you (and others) at significant risk. So here's the work-around - switch off ACC! You're the boss, drive the car don't let it drive you.

That could be said for just about every function of the car and most of its safety 'features', while clearly i can, and do, have to have it off due to its safety risks and hassle, it should work correctly and is a safety feature which improves the cars NCAP Safety rating (although it should not for my car!!). As a standard feature that works perfectly in other VAG cars it cant be that hard to get it to work in the Octavia.   

I also have a DSG car because I like them, I could do the gear changes but choose not to... 

• Like 1

Mine did it briefly. I think it basically thinks you're abroad. Tapping the accelerator gives it permission to over take... Although it clearly thinks it's undertaking.

The concern really being that it will undertake without thinking about it as the car sees it as overtaking.

Mines done it a couple of times that in aware of then returned to normally on the next journey. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jmagee said:

Mine did it briefly. I think it basically thinks you're abroad. Tapping the accelerator gives it permission to over take... Although it clearly thinks it's undertaking.

The concern really being that it will undertake without thinking about it as the car sees it as overtaking.

Mines done it a couple of times that in aware of then returned to normally on the next journey. 

yes as I cant book the car in, I have been trying it regularly to see how its working and try and diagnose anything I can. Like you its not every journey but when it does start it stay in that mode for the rest of that journey. I drove 180 miles Sunday no issues with it... then Monday morning 390 miles into a 100 mile journey it randomly started again and was a complete pain for the rest of the journey, requiring the pedal touch every overtake, and as I was on the M25, it definitely did not stop undertaking it does not even recognise a car is in the outside lane at all, it only acknowledges cars inside you. 

As you say it appears to randomly decide the car is driving on the other side of the road irrespective of the GPS as the Navigation was all fine. Nothing in particular seems to trigger it, but its pretty obvious when it does it!! As soon as it starts showing vehicles on the left lane the problem starts... Such a pain, you just cannot rely on it to do what it should!! 

7 minutes ago, matrix2020 said:

As you say it appears to randomly decide the car is driving on the other side of the road

This is one of the longest running problems reported on here, but it does seem that a recent trial fix is now being rolled out - there are threads in this forum from the owner who took part in the trial.