How much time do you warm-up your Felicia?

1 hour ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

They make universal ones if we are talking about carbs

Don't all cars have carbs!?!  😄  I had a look at the universal thanks but none are correct size, shape or type and I've wasted too much of my life on this car already to fart about with modifications, and modifications can change the good running I already have and possibly make things worse.  The filters sit in the warm engine bay already with no direct cool airflow and with the exhaust manifold not far away but owners have managed for over 60 years with this.

I have picked up some of the OCD here though and have them hanging above my head air drying from being cleaned again and I will apply as little oil as possible this time.

See below the filters as they were when I got the car in 2007, looked brand new then, they are closer to the wheel and bonnet opening edge than they look, when I tried a plate single filter over both it was deeper and even less room spare.  These filters are quite expensive now, car parts and oils look to be a lot higher price here than Greece.

filters.JPG.f30006272f5003e439ac2b546b96cf9b.JPG

Thank you for the offer but they don't even list my car and anyway the K&N are an aftermarket kit with their own front and rear housing plates instead of using the factory "saucepan" filter housings as in the photo below (not my car).

For your info the K&N filters are about 150mm across and 45mm.  The kit is now £170 (including VAT tax), just filters £60 (inc VAT) each from K&N. 

When paper filters for the old cars I had were more readily available and low priced I would change them every 6 months or 9,600km whichever was the sooner and this worked out very well it seemed (without any testing to back this statement up).

anotherenginebay.jpg.e371992d07d1184a10f675c1d8af283c.jpg

Edited by nta16

2 hours ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

That test doesn't tell anything, you are puting a extraordinary amount of foreign material on the filter, more that it would ever be accumulated by all your air filters combined.

This guy with Skoda does the test better and at 8:02 says something very interesting:

"People are not buying filters like these for their particle retention capabilities"

screenshot(20).png

23 minutes ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

People are not buying filters like these for their particle retention capabilities

You should understand what can and can't harm your engine. 

I feel safe with the p08 more so with the p037. I don't know why you are getting so upset. 

38 minutes ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

I don't know why you are getting so upset.

No upset, i am just searching things deeper but few minutes ago a hammer struck my forehead.

Price for the Sprint Filter for my Felicia: P121S-WP 151,20 Euro (without shipping), 151,20 € for an air filter?

T3GB5Sd.gif  Wrgnco7.gif   M0mlneY.gif

Oh God mercy me!

4 hours ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

"People are not buying filters like these for their particle retention capabilities"

True and very interesting and informative video.  The red oil applied to the K&N filter is to trap particles and like the paper collects more over time.  When I first knew about K&N they had that the filter could be used for 100k-miles (160,000kms) in normal conditions before it needed cleaning, then at some point it dropped to 50k-miles (80,000kms).  It was always said by some that the K&N filter was better when used than when new, I must admit I never understood this but perhaps they meant filtration.  On the other hand the gut that had the Dodge Vipers (8l, V10 truck engine in them) moaned that they needed to clean the K&N just about every year to maintain horsepower.

I can totally understand that modern cars with all their computer programs would just adjust requirements based on the amount of air coming in and why perhaps the paper air filter on my wife's 2015 Fabia is four year service interval change.

My car uses carbs, you adjust them manually by setting nuts and screws by turning them, once you have set them you hopefully leave them set for years (until all the changes in petrol - unleaded, E5, E10).  I know the two different K&Ns filters that I have tried on my car even after cleaning restrict airflow when fitted from no filters.

It must be remembered my engine design dates back to 1951, 70 years, so is cruder in finish than more modern engines, tolerances and passages are wider.

As the chap said in the video the air flow capacity of the carbs and filter(s), on my car at least, are oversized so even when modestly uprated there is still plenty of spare unused capacity.  Think of it like drinking a litre of beer as quick as you can, how many seconds - we had a local chap who held many records, he downed a litre in 1.3 seconds, what ever you could down in 1.3 seconds is your capacity so the rest of the beer is not required, 1 litre is too much capacity for your 1.3 seconds of drinking.

A mate of mine could drink a pint of Guinness (crap, fizzy, horrible stout) standing on his head in about 10-12 seconds, other local guy's record was 6 seconds - they were simpler times we had to make our own entertainment.

Note the change in colour of the K&Ns after only one year's use, about 6k-miles (9,600Kms), from the previous photo.

filters2.JPG.e7f879ba7afdf512cab11ce965665751.JPG

7 hours ago, nta16 said:

It was always said by some that the K&N filter was better when used than when new, I must admit I never understood this but perhaps they meant filtration

This apply for paper filters too, better when are lightly used than brand new.

I had a K&N filter and then a BMC (plus a cleaning kit with that red oil inside) but they had the same problem, the plastic on the sides start separating from the main body, i tried to glue it but this didn't last long.

Was not a matter of abuse by me but it's not a coincidence that both filters had the same drawback.

12 hours ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

No upset, i am just searching things deeper but few minutes ago a hammer struck my forehead.

Price for the Sprint Filter for my Felicia: P121S-WP 151,20 Euro (without shipping), 151,20 € for an air filter?

T3GB5Sd.gif  Wrgnco7.gif   M0mlneY.gif

Oh God mercy me!

That is for the p037 the p08 will be much cheaper 

Here is the BMC that i had for some years,maybe 15.000 km which i cleaned-oiled properly, not abuse it and trying to glue with specific glue the sides.

Yesterday i decide that ''enough is enough" and removed it, i don't think that i will use again a gauze air filter after the ''lesson" from K%N and this BMC.

65mQviu.jpg

bwDVeYW.jpg

v7d8QfE.jpg

1 hour ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

This apply for paper filters too, better when are lightly used than brand new.

Yes many items have an optimum level of use and this may not be at brand new installation.  The trick is to judge when the item has gone passed its optimum and how far passed this point the item is renewed.  This depends on a lot of factors so may be well before any service interval or even well after.

I am really surprised at the BMC, I had never heard of them until this thread (BMC means something entirely different to old UK motorists).  Are you sure it was a genuine part and not fake/counterfeit, same with K&N.  You would need to check but I have a feeling that K&N at one time at least had their filters made in China (as with so much USA manufacturing) and it was said the quality dropped but I didn't see this verified.

"K&N products are designed and manufactured on-site. K&N® is headquartered in Riverside, California, in a building complex spanning nearly 400,000 square feet, and also operates facilities in Grand Prairie, TX, England, China, and the Netherlands.  K&N facilities include departments for engineering, product design, manufacturing, warehousing, test facilities, purchasing, sales, customer service, marketing, and corporate offices."

The K&N filters the used to advertise as a million miles use so they should hold together for years.  If you are sure no other chemicals were used, by a mechanic perhaps, I would not have thought there was much else other than manufacturing fault that could cause the K&N at least (as I put I do not know the BMC) to fall apart as they go in cars causing lots more heat like the Vipers.

1 hour ago, nta16 said:

Are you sure it was a genuine part and not fake/counterfeit, same with K&N. 

The K&N filter plus the cleanong kit was bought from the only authorized seller at that time. The BMC from a parts store (not from ebay) and the guy found the code for my car from a BMC catalogue in front or me.

Both had exactly the same isusue, the frame start falling apart, in both of them i used glue for plastics but in both of them after a while pieces started to detachmnent. In BMC some pieces stuck lige gum inside the filter box and another piece is missing because i throw it away plus there were many tiny pieces like fragments.

With such kind of support the frame has gaps and air unfiltered passes through.

Subject to you having been supplied the correct part I would contact both manufacturers and ask about this.  If I was the manufacturer I would ask you to send the filter back for examination to see if it was my product or production at fault or something done or applied to the product incorrectly.  If there was a batch or any other production fault I would send you a replacement and reimburse the cost of a paper filter that could have ben fitted during the postage and investigation times.  If it was not a fault of the product I would return your filter with a letter of explanation.

I would contact them if I was you especially if the parts do not fit correctly either (subject to them being correct for your model).

9 minutes ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

That is the worst, sprint is exceptionally high quality thus the high price 

I would expect the quality to be very high as the price is very high and for the product to have very good longevity, decades for road use.

19 minutes ago, nta16 said:

I would expect the quality to be very high as the price is very high and for the product to have very good longevity, decades for road use.

Yes I agree in the beginning I did not trust them. 

Then I did some research and they seem to be a league on their own. 

So the price is justified. Imho

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nta16 said:

Subject to you having been supplied the correct part I would contact both manufacturers and ask about this.  If I was the manufacturer I would ask you to send the filter back for examination to see if it was my product or production at fault or something done or applied to the product incorrectly.  If there was a batch or any other production fault I would send you a replacement and reimburse the cost of a paper filter that could have ben fitted during the postage and investigation times.  If it was not a fault of the product I would return your filter with a letter of explanation.

I would contact them if I was you especially if the parts do not fit correctly either (subject to them being correct for your model).

Greece is not USA on that matter, i bought the BMC filter many years ago and i don't have the receipt or the box (was before 2005, no forum-era, no e-bank records etc).

IF (i say ''if'') they accept it back to the store they will tell me that will send it back to the manufacturer, this will take lot of time and when they have an answer they will call me but i know that nothing is going to happen.

They put the blame on me (you expose it to direct sun, you didn't use the proper soap, you dropped it down, you glue it with inappropriate glue etc) and ''case closed''.

The fitting was gently as with k&N or the paper filter that i have used, no extra push etc but when i removed the upper part few days ago the frame starter to fall apart ! The main frame of this filter was so fragile that i have lost the amount of detridus which were inside the air box. Was like cheap foam which gets dry all falls apart lin every touch.

2 times with different brands exactly the same problem plus every time when i was removing it lot of trouble to wash it-let it dry for a day-spray it-wipe the excess-check for spots which don't have oile-wipe again and back to the car.

No oil area? no good filtering. Too much oil in an area? Drops back to the MAP sensor.

Gentlemen, i think i am done with the gauze filters.

On 07/03/2022 at 18:19, nta16 said:

Don't all cars have carbs!?!

I have never owned a car with carburettor(s); throttle body injection yes, and direct fuel injection yes, but never carburettor(s).

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

Both had exactly the same isusue,

That is strange though.

3 hours ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

Greece is not USA on that matter,

In England customer service is practically non-existent for most companies and has been for a long time, but then the customers may also have got worse.

3 hours ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

Gentlemen, i think i am done with the gauze filters.

Yeah that's fair enough.

I was thinking how small that air filter looked - or have you got big hands.

Edited by nta16