the truth about electric cars

310golfr

46 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

Like this poor motorcyclist who was thrown from his bike over the side of a bridge (not pothole related though) Motorcyclist falls from Milton Keynes bridge after collision - BBC News

I saw a post on Twitter today that was by the motorcyclist in the video. It was a case of road rage by the driver according to him and he was disappointed by the sentence. 

It's still in my history...

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, @Lee said:

I saw a post on Twitter today that was by the motorcyclist in the video. It was a case of road rage by the driver according to him and he was disappointed by the sentence. 

It's still in my history...

Correct, hence why I said it was not potholes related, and the BBC article did explain that as well. I just included the link as an illustration of what could happen if a two wheeled road user was to drive into some of our potholes, that are certainly deep enough if they can destroy wheels, suspension and tyres on cars etc. 

• Groan 1

1 minute ago, Graham Butcher said:

Correct, hence why I said it was not potholes related, and the BBC article did explain that as well. I just included the link as an illustration of what could happen if a two wheeled road user was to drive into some of our potholes, that are certainly deep enough if they can destroy wheels, suspension and tyres on cars etc. 

No, that was an illustration of what happens when an incidence of road rage occurs and a motorist forces a motorcyclist off the road and, as you already said, it was not pothole related and it's in no way whatsoever an illustration of what could happen if a two wheeled road user were to hit a pothole.

I don't know or care what point you think you are trying to make by bringing it to the discussion and your reasons for doing so elude me tbh. 

• Groan 1

1 hour ago, Rooted said:

Great reporting regardless of it being reported by the Telegram or the Telegraph.  

It must be true.

Screenshot 2024-03-20 07.53.35.png

so EVs cause more damage but pay less road tax? Makes sense ;o)

10 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

Haha, could have fooled me, which is a greater risk, small chance of skidding on a small 2" wide of sealing tar or a having a wheel drop into a crater risking slashing of tyres (I have had this on my car) or worse, ripping entire wheels off the car and even greater risk of deseating someone on 2 wheels and hurling them into the path of oncoming traffic? 

Like this poor motorcyclist who was thrown from his bike over the side of a bridge (not pothole related though) Motorcyclist falls from Milton Keynes bridge after collision - BBC News

Totally agree...   Overbanding makes sense to me as an engineer and from experience but try telling that to the lawyers...

• Thanks 1

@Winston_Woof   Really, Double the damage!

As to less VED.   Is that less than what,  once EV,s are Taxed / VED?

Less than the ICE that are £0.00, or £20 or £30.?

Less than vehicles Exempt from VED / MOT due to age. Historic Vehicles.

Less than Mobility vehicles.

Steam Vehicles.

Vehicles used for agriculture, hoticulture and forestry. 

9 hours ago, @Lee said:

No, that was an illustration of what happens when an incidence of road rage occurs and a motorist forces a motorcyclist off the road

I would like to have read the prosecution details, both the car and motorcycle were on the wrong side of the road and were following the same trajectory, had the bike been overtaking and swerved into the other lane to avoid the car pulling out on it would have been a tragic defensive manouevre or forced off the road but they were travelling side by side neither seeing or reacting to the oncoming vehicle who had seen them approaching and was braking to a halt. It does look like a curve where the bridge rail would have reduced forward visibility

I am surmising but of course do not know from the limited video clip, that they were looking at each other and trading insults/gestures, maybe some door or mirror banging, motorcyclists are very vulnerable and aside from the aforementioned swerving scenario most would have braked and pulled behind an aggressor or accelerated past if safe to do so but not on the wrong side of the road.

The guy was very lucky indeed.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1

News that TESLA were rising UK prices of both Model Y and 3 do not seem to have hit yet as the Model 3 Standard Range is still sub £40K.

Long may it last and hopefully see the price fall by another grand or two as the battery packs get cheaper and cheaper.  Cheaper to run to as electricity prices fall in 12 days.

https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/model3/design#overview

• Confused 1

I'm somewhat confused why they have increased the prices, with battery prices falling, they are already making better profits and it strikes me that they are creating a bigger stick for BYD to smack them with?

22 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

I'm somewhat confused why they have increased the prices, with battery prices falling, they are already making better profits and it strikes me that they are creating a bigger stick for BYD to smack them with?

The just want to raise more profits and up their share price it seems.

Sales of BYDs in Europe do not look great, not as good as SAIC-MG it seems in the car sector or of course TESLA.

Tesla are known to do end of quarter pushes.  Just like dealerships where car manufacturer price is obscured from buyer and dealership make end of month/quarter/year sales. But sometimes these price increases are rumours (might be circulated by mothership itself) to induce demand. So far, I've only seen Tesla say they plan to raise price in US. 

As for vehicle weight, we have to compare like-for-like. Average petrol/diesel includes older simpler vehicles without all the latest safety gear. 

Also another factor is the ham-fisted approach by some manufacturers. BMW i4 for example is up to 2300 kg for a car without much space inside (4 series). This is due to use of ICE platform rather than building on a dedicated BEV platform. 

Compare same era dedicated EV to same era ICE with similar vehicle size, safety gear and performance. I've posted this previously: 

Tesla Model Y LR: 1986 kg, 378 bhp, 854 l boot. Tesla Model Y SUV Long Range AWD 5dr Auto specs & dimensions | Parkers

Volvo XC60 polestar engineered PHEV: 2145 kg, comparable 399 bhp, 598 l boot. Volvo XC60 SUV Polestar Engineered T8 Twin Engine AWD auto 5d specs & dimensions | Parkers
Audi SQ5 sportback diesel: 2010 kg, 336 bhp, 500 l boot. Audi Q5 Sportback SQ5 TDI Quattro 5dr Tiptronic specs & dimensions | Parkers
VW Touareg R-line tech petrol: 1945 kg 335 bhp, comparable 810 l boot Volkswagen Touareg SUV R-Line Tech 3.0 V6 TSI 340PS 4Motion Tiptronic auto 5d specs & dimensions | Parkers

The NEW MINI Electric & MINI Aceman Electric are porky for what they are size wise.

New MINI Cooper E is 100 kg heavier to supposedly go 50 miles further with the bigger battery compared to the Old MINI SE. (Fictional ranges.)

Screenshot 2024-03-20 17.37.22.jpg

Edited by Rooted

What spec would you say mini EV is comparable?

https://www.mini.co.uk/en_GB/home/range/mini-3-door-hatch/mini-3-door-hatch-tech-spec.html

Cooper petrol is 1610 kg, and goes up to 1710 kg for JCW.

Electric is 1775 kg, but I can't figure out which version is it on your table......

Mini electric is 10% heavier whilst built on compromised ICE platform. Or only 3.8% heavier compared to heaviest petrol version.

Today's cars are heavier, not just EV's.

• Thanks 1

That is obscene and the **** head cant even park in a space properly.

A Rover 2000/3500 was a very big luxury car in its day.

I am assuming the monstrosity beside it is ironically named a Mini?

BMW did a very good job of preventing any media photographs of the original Mini parked beside the new abortion which was an insult to the memory of the great Alex Issigonis, I bet you have to search far and wide to find an image and it wont be from the media.

That new abortion would look even more fugly parked beside an original Mini.

What does it weigh FFS?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, J.R. said:

That is obscene and the **** head cant even park in a space properly.

A Rover 2000/3500 was a very big luxury car in its day.

While I agree it does look like bad parking, but it may not be so if the driver, like me, has large feet. With doors being hinged from the front, the smallest space is going to be right where your feet are as you try to get out without banging your door into the car alongside. I have sized 15 feet and would need that sort of gap in order to get my door open wide enough to get my feet out of the car and onto the ground.

The rover 2000/3500 (P6) was not a large car at all, it was a compact executive car being 4572mm L, 1676mm W and 1422mm H 1275kg (2000 model). The Rover (P5) 3Litre was the large luxury car being 4737mm L, 1778mm W and 1549mm H and 1587kg. I know, as I had one of each back in the day.

Edited by Graham Butcher

15 hours ago, wyx087 said:

Today's cars are heavier, not just EV's.

Depends what it is...   Suzuki swift sport hybrid 1025kg

Non Sport version 975kg

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 1

@skomaz  just yesterday a nice green metallic Offroader was parked next to my MINI and when I got near it was a brand new Ignis but looked bigger than when I last went to try one.  I know it is not maybe just more rounded and it was sitting on All Season tyres.   I must try one again when it comes to replacing my SX4.     @wyx087 the table has the present MINI (F56) with the 140 mile range,  the small battery new one with 190 miles MINI Cooper E.  & more torque.  And then the bigger battery new one with 218 ps, called a Cooper SE.  They are J01.  The ACEMAN electric is the not yet out in-between size Electric MINI. (J05) and the BIG Countryman is not on there.    The ACEMAN might just be the best of the bunch for just an Electric Car of not too big dimensions. 

Screenshot 2024-03-21 07.03.30.png

DSC_0361.JPG.a50a1c91560f90dbf04b33e10601b0a9.jpeg

You are going to have to be optioning better or more suitable tyres then the standard ones from the factory or fitting different tyres if yo want foul weather performance. Grip.  (Pity they do not make that clear.)

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

While I agree it does look like bad parking, but it may not be so if the driver, like me, has large feet.

Having clown feet is not a get out of jail card that allows the wearer to justify inconveniencing and obstructing others. Bad parking is bad parking.

12 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

The rover 2000/3500 (P6) was not a large car at all, it was a compact executive car

Maybe in land of the giants, during the production of the Rover how many normal people drove executive cars? I only knew one person who drove a Rover 2000, the sales director of the firm my parents worked for, one person who drove a non V8 Rover P5, our doctor, I had to wait for a school trip to Amberley too see, well hear actually, a V8 engined P6, I never saw another one until I had my driving license and took to the roads.

Those that could scrape together the money drove family saloon cars which were significantly smaller and a lot lighter than the Rover P5, it only takes a little more interior (and hence exterior) space to make a roomy vehicle, or at least it didn't used to when cars were designed by gifted people like Issigonis and not driven by the fashionable desire to look down on others.

Our family vehicles were a Morris 8 Tourer, a Hillman Stinks, Viva HA and HB and finally a Ford Capri, that was for a family of 5, all significantly smaller than the Rover, it was a large luxurious car aimed at that market and even then was not a tall vehicle, it was the Range Rover that started all that nonsense, quite ironic that the current owners are finding them uninsurable and having to sell them at a huge loss when a Mini is larger than some of them now.

Edited by J.R.

Do not judge how a car is parked from a picture unless you know what was either side of the vehicle when parked.

I am parked often so i can get my door open, even in wide Disabled Parking bays.

In a picture above i was parked at a hospital leaving space to get a passenger a wheel chair along side. 

Other cars can be parked badly, or as they need for the space.

At EV chargers you can have to go at odd angles to get a charger cable, or just because some other parked badly.

On here there was a picture of ridiculous parking in the middle of a car park using 4 bays.

The thing was the person had parked the night before when the place was covered in snow. 

• Love it! 1

I did indeed think that the passenger might be a wheelchair user especially as they had chosen the end bay but in that instance they would have driven in and not reversed in which would leave all the room in the world for the passenger and also unobstructed access to the boot for removing the wheelchair, except the interior of the boot probably isnt even big enough 🙄.

I will in future bear in mind though that the drivers might be clowns 😁

Narrow cars, 3 door cars, often cars that Disabled Drivers have of any size might be chosen because of wide doors or wide opening doors.

That is why they need space to get out.

The worst i had for getting stuck out of was the Toyota iQ because they are not narrow and the door is rather long. 

I park so as not to hit other cars and be able to get out the car, come back and no way can get back in. Quite often. 

DSCN3794.JPG.5d3955742989dbfcba217c723a1a45be.jpeg

DSCN5969.JPG.eb0db36c1d4ff4a8bf038bdca901fcc5.jpeg

297104999_SN850137(800x600)(2).jpg.e5479ea4cde76778d6c95bb882aa16e7.jpg.f9749433d42165b88ada3548e2b7113d.jpg

Edited by Rooted
  • Love it! 1