Weather

skomaz

56 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Been about -3 since tea time last night.  Everything that melted is therefore sheet ice and its lethal out there!!

Just been out to feed the rabbits...   got about a yard outside the backdoor and had to come back for the ice spikes for my walking boots to make any progress without ending up on my arse

• Like 1

Hovering around 0C and icy under foot here, Snow forecast for later this afternoon apparently.  Just been out to get a couple of leeks from the garden for today's soup & had to use a hammer & chisel 😧 Big batch of chicken & vegetable soup with pearl barely on the go here, Smells lovely.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skomaz said:

got about a yard outside the backdoor and had to come back for the ice spikes for my walking boots to make any progress without ending up on my arse

Before I left school, I used to get the bus outside of my house. With the way my fence is (goes around 180 degrees of the house almost), you could see folk walking down the street. Was waiting for a schoolfriend to walk round and I could see her, then she disappeared behind the fence! :D

3 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

there'll be no Hovis in the shop now

Try Lidl's rye sourdough - superb bread!  Taste and texture like wot it used to woz :)

Edited by MikeTheThinker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KenONeill said:

Bridge of Cally

My sis lives about a mile outside Bridge of Cally and reported the following about the weather:

"We have snow, ice, bitter cold wind. Gusts of 120mph reported by SSE as their excuse for power cut which started last night 8pm. Originally hoped for restore by 10pm tonight, now saying not on til tomorrow! So that's freezers f-ed. Ian had epic getting home from work last pm, trees, more down this a. m."

This all to follow the collapse of the bridge parapet a few weeks back when a numpty in a Mini tried to force their way through the 3-foot deep flooded roadway and the pressure wave proved too much for the parapet.

• Like 1

Further to the Bridge of Cally parapet collapse, here's a video of the aftermath and a local politico waffling on about who to blame.

https://news.stv.tv/north/torrential-rain-and-flooding-cause-partial-collapse-of-bridge?top

There's also a Twitter post from a local showing the errant vehicle (not a Mini, not sure what it is) disabled in the middle of the scene of the crime.  Local reports say the water was almost to the top of the parapet before the collapse.

2 minutes ago, olduns said:

and here it comes again... 

1638111055524.thumb.jpg.071c068210feb20493ca9da7181d0c38.jpg

Just slowly

starting to cover the paths again

It's interesting just how localised some of this weather has been; I'm only about 60 miles northwest of you and whilst it's nippy outside it's not freezing and is just steady rain.

Been snowing constantly for a few hours here so everything covered again including the roads white over.

Also still freezing so have just had to go an unfreeze the boiler condensate outlet...   its a bit of a botch arrangement thanks to the previous owners...