Rounded wheel bolt!!!!

Dale_Stevens

On 04/12/2021 at 11:22, Dale_Stevens said:

I now need to see if the new digital torque wrench reads the same as my normal wrench, to see if it's over tightening the bolts. Im quite sure the correct setting is 120Nm?

Check in your Owner's Manual (Driver's Handbook) but 120Nm is the same as my wife's Fabia Mk3, which surprised me as I was expecting 110Nm.  120Nm is 88 ft lb in old money.

Obviously you need to know that your normal torque wrench is reasonable accurate before comparing the new digital.

Something to bear in mind according to the Owners' Manual the locking wheel bolts are loosen first and tighten last, I put opposite them opposite the tyre valve to remind me where they are.

Edited by nta16
added according to Owner's manual

1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

Well, this is my first post in this thread, and even even it's just to say that it wasn't me earlier.

Sorry Ken I was thinking of another thread but if it wasn't you fair enough.

13 hours ago, J.R. said:

What reason do you have for advocating that?

I hope it's not just "I was told.............", if so then it's time to break the cycle.

Well J.R. ,the easily offended and to offend, 😉 I'm joking I'm not easily offend and surprised you are (well a bit surprised, well perhaps not over surprised) I looked in the Driver's Handbook as promised, see below, I guess it's to take the tension off the locking wheel bolts (bolts, stupid idea) and they may not have the best sound justifications for putting such but there it is.

lb1.jpg

I think if anybody follows that closely there could be problems.
IE. "Attach the wheel and slightly screw on the wheel bolts"
Would this not be safer. ""Attach the wheel and lightly tighten the wheel bolts before lowering the vehicle ""

Slightly screw on the wheel bolts would mean they would be taking all the weight that the centre hole on wheel is supposed to centre the wheel and take the weight until the wheel bolts take the weight on their taper.

Yes very good point (plus I'm prewarned for when J.R. sees that) it's possibly a translation thing, or just a typo thing, or lack of proof reading.  I find the whole book for my wife's 2015 Fabia Mk3 difficult to read and understand at points even when I know the information I find the way that it's presented confusing.

In another model's Owner's Manual the instructions for synchronising the remote keyfob is missing an important part to a sentence making it very difficult if not impossible to follow and understand.

But I can't throw stones about language, writing, spelling and being intelligible. 🤣

Edited by nta16

Will you please desist from saying that I am offended (I'm not) that I am easily offended (I'm not) and that I offend  others easily, putting a smily after it and saying that you are joking does not negate what you say especially as you continue to make reference to it in subsequent postings.

If you want to blindly follow what is written in an often badly translated manual without asking yourself or understanding why thats fine by me but when you start advocating it to others you really should know and be able to explain why if asked.

If by chance you were brought up in the French education system then I retract the above.

• Groan 1

How do you slightly screw on the wheel bolts?

Is it the same way you screw in your nuts? 

The authors shouldn't be allowed to write these instructions, if they can't fit a wheel or fit water in a bucket!

Same when people say "just unloosen the bolt" Answer "How tight should it be?"

I’m guessing they mean all bolts finger tight, then a bit of a nip with the wrench to just the remaining 4 bolts, then lower the car, torque the 4 bolts and then finally tighten and torque the locking bolt?

Having read throught this thread, I suspect that I, like many others was not aware of the wheel bolt sequence quoted in the user manual. I have changed the wheels over a few times without considering this and will not lose any sleep over it. I suspect the reason may be that if the other bolts are tightened first and loosened last there is less chance of damaging the locking key to bolt pins / sockets, as the locking bolt should spin in and out relatively freely with the wheel held in position by the others. I would not think it has anything to do with wheel security - just my thoughts.

A bit of an update to my rounded bolt fiasco...

Having purchased a new wheel bolt and decent six sided socket today, I managed to finally swap my wheels over to the winter set. When jacking the wheel with with the rounded bolt, one thing i'm sure I saw was some slight flex to the wheel as it lifted from the ground, suggesting it probably hadn't been seated against the hub correctly?

I say that 'I'm sure I saw' as it all happened so quickly, but if the wheel hadn't been seated properly all this summer, then the whole wheel will have been slightly 'skew wiff', maybe putting some sideways pressure on the bolt and making it difficult to remove and maybe this caused the cheap 12 point socket to crack?? This will now be something I'll be any careful about when putting wheels back on in the future.

Edited by Dale_Stevens

J.R, it was humour, referencing how you'd be offended if it was suggested you'd make a mistake, of tightening the the wheel bolt.  You do however offend others easily, I don't know if you realise this and why you don't if not but I don't mind I like direct but your posts slide into bolshy sometimes, if offended was the wrong word I'll use whichever you want.

I did explain why I'd put what I put, twice, and made an amendment if not the 'correction'  you think is required, you however have yet to put your side expecting me to blindly follow what you tell me.

I certainly agree with you it's not a well written book but the parts I highlighted seem very clear.

As I don't whole agree with it I'm happy to alter to somfink like "it sez i'the buck", I am willing to compromise in the same way I willing to use that information in the way I did without believing in it 100%, the world and black and white there are shades of grey and colours.  My initial and overall thoughts were the same as Trevor M's not a firm believe or 100% sure its wrong and not over bothered either way, I don't mind being wrong I'm very, very used to it.

So c'mon J.R. where's you evidence, give me my understanding, I don't mind learning.

Bloody silly bolts literally gave me backache now they're out to give me a migraine. (look away J.R. this smiley's not for you) 🤕

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Dale_Stevens said:

A bit of an update to my rounded bolt fiasco...

Having purchased a new wheel bolt and decent six sided socket today, I managed to finally swap my wheels over to the winter set. When jacking the wheel with with the rounded bolt, one thing i'm sure I saw was some slight flex to the wheel as it lifted from the ground, suggesting it probably hadn't been seated against the hub correctly?

I say that 'I'm sure I saw' as it all happened so quickly, but if the wheel hadn't been seated properly all this summer, then the whole wheel will have been slightly 'skew wiff', maybe putting some sideways pressure on the bolt and making it difficult to remove and maybe this caused the cheap 12 point socket to crack?? This will now be something I'll be any careful about when putting wheels back on in the future.

Dale,

this can be caused by not putting the locking bolt in last.

No, I'm joking, for crying out loud I'm joking. 😁

Being bias (with sciatica) I'd say this is another thing from the use of these stupid bolts instead of wheel studs, it's not easy to balance the wheel beneath you on the silly thin centre circle while you grab for the first bolt, if you slip with it it can literally be a PITA and your back and the back of your legs.  I only learnt of the hanging locating peg after as I'd never encountered this bloody silly wheel bolt design before, I also use two of those hanging locating pegs as I don't find one good enough, as I have regular reminders!

10 minutes ago, nta16 said:

I only learnt of the hanging locating peg after as I'd never encountered this bloody silly wheel bolt design before, I also use two of those hanging locating pegs as I don't find one good enough, as I have regular reminders!

They are a godsend aren't they. I only have one, but will probably buy a second one soon.

Good tip earlier from whoever suggested putting the locking wheel bolt opposite the tyre valve so you always know where it it 👍

1 minute ago, Wino said:

Wheels will flick outward at the bottom as they leave the ground due to the tilting of the car as it's jacked up on one side only.

How loose would the wheel bolts be in this example, at least RickT will want a measurement of some sort.

I'm wicked, it's the lack of alcohol, I'm even 'funnier' with a drink. 🙃

5 minutes ago, Dale_Stevens said:

They are a godsend aren't they. I only have one, but will probably buy a second one soon.

I was given one as a present but found it still made handling the well unbalanced for me, two is much better but still more of a fiddle when the tyre is only going an inch or two off the ground (compared with locating 4 or 5 wheel studs).

8 minutes ago, Dale_Stevens said:

Good tip earlier from whoever suggested putting the locking wheel bolt opposite the tyre valve so you always know where it it 👍

It's in the Owner's Manual.

No it's not.  Normally I wouldn't claim it but I'm in a high mood tonight with my very successful tiptoeing on eggshells tonight I'm 'aving the cherry on the icing on the cake, yummy.

1 hour ago, Dale_Stevens said:

It's easy to spot even before taking the caps of, it's the only round one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Urrell said:

It's easy to spot even before taking the caps of, it's the only round one.

I know, but I still have to bend right down to see it, if I know its in a certain place it makes it easier for me.

8 minutes ago, Dale_Stevens said:

I know, but I still have to bend right down to see it, if I know its in a certain place it makes it easier for me.

Makes it easier for what, are you not going to bend down when you've found it?

Edit: I have loosened and tightened up to torque all 4 Yeti wheels today without getting on my knees, when pulling the caps off you don't even have to see the locking bolt.

Edited by Urrell

Bend down to see which is the round cap. Then when all the caps are off, if im stood close to the side of the car I still can't see which one is the locking bolt, I have to step back, or bend right down. Maybe Im too tall?

3 hours ago, nta16 said:

You do however offend others easily, I don't know if you realise this and why you don't if not

Thankyou once again for your observation, I'm not sure how you are able to speak for others but I will take your word for it

3 hours ago, nta16 said:

I did explain why I'd put what I put, twice, and made an amendment if not the 'correction'  you think is required, you however have yet to put your side expecting me to blindly follow what you tell me.

I did not ask for a correction, I asked the reason why you advocated the procedure, I don't have a side other than I cannot think of any reasoning or logic behind the procedure you were reminding others to adhere to, it is not an argument, it was a request for information which you are once again using to be sarcastic which is uncalled for.

3 hours ago, nta16 said:

As I don't whole agree with it I'm happy to alter to somfink like "it sez i'the buck", I am willing to compromise in the same way I willing to use that information in the way I did without believing in it 100%, the world and black and white there are shades of grey and colours. 

Your words are incoherent

3 hours ago, nta16 said:

My initial and overall thoughts were the same as Trevor M's not a firm believe or 100% sure its wrong and not over bothered either way, I don't mind being wrong I'm very, very used to it.

Then why tell people that they should do it?

3 hours ago, nta16 said:

So c'mon J.R. where's you evidence, give me my understanding, I don't mind learning.

I have no idea what you are asking me for, evidence of what? Understanding of what? It was myself asking for your reasoning behind the procedure that you were telling others to follow.

Now can you please let it go?

3 hours ago, nta16 said:

• Like 1
  • Groan 1