Start Stop not working

Hi all, I've just bought myself a '65 plate Octavia SE-L with start stop but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working. The messages I see are,

-Power consumption is high                       and sllometimes,

-Engine needs to be running.

I've booked in for battery check at the local Halfrauds and I've tried to reset factory data on bolero head unit - Anything else I can try?20220222_145434.thumb.jpg.fc6c2413cef23c52178a790edc7bb0ee.jpg

Hi Andy, your problem is most likely insufficient charge in battery - either from fading battery (especially if still original) or just needs a charge. The 'power consumption is high' message can translate to low battery volts - or something like AC, power-steering, etc. is actually drawing too much current to allow engine auto-stop to enable.

There are quite a number of parameters that have to be met before auto-stop is enabled.

Because these are micro-hybrids, the alternator control does not normally allow the battery to charge to 100% - usually only to 70 - 75%, so as to allow capacity for regenerative charging.

If you have a 'smart' charger, try a full recharge first. Battery condition test would also be good - not sure if I would trust Halfrauds to be completely impartial though!

PS. there are quite a few reports on this forum regarding a possibly faulty batch of MOLL batteries around MY16 - MY18 period. 

• Like 1

I only thought Halfrauds for the battery check because its it's free- their impartiality hadn't even occurred to me at the time!

Whether or not I'm using a fresh battery I'm not too sure, but the car has only 25,000 odd miles which for a '65 car is very little so if it is original, it could very well be on its way out.

Can I ask, What exactly do you mean by a smart charger?

Update- this morning after my 12 mile (25 minute) journey to work, the start stop did briefly kick in for all of 3 seconds before restarting itself when I stopped at traffic lights. Definitely failing battery me thinks.

I did briefly speak to dealer a few days ago and he said he thinks battery is fine but wasn't very helpful and that it wouldn't be covered with the RAC warranty but mentioned about being possibly contributing.

How long ago did you buy it? If it's within 6 months I believe the dealer has a duty to attempt repair. I'd expect the "contribution" to be the full amount of fitting a new battery. Stop start batteries don't last as long as old school ones. I never used to change a battery but these modern ones seem to last only 4-5 years.

yeah, they're taking the mick. For you to have had the car for such a short period of time and be noticing the issue, it's for them to be looking into it.

If it was proper nippy outside, you've the heater on / heated accessories and the engine wasn't up to full temperature, then I'd understand the stop start not working. However, in recent weeks it hasn't been too cold.

As long as you've bought it from a business, you've a lot of legislation on your side as bigjohn has said above.

10 hours ago, Mickvrs220 said:

It probably just needs a good trickle charge till its full ,depends on how long cars has been stood in the cold ,can you not borrow a smart charger .

Possibly, but I'd say a Moll EFB is probably the original fitment and even the ones that weren't the faulty versions only seem to last about six years in a stop/start car. If the car had been stored for a while before it was bought that'd have made things worse. The Moll in my 2014 stop/start Superb suffered after the first 2020 Covid lockdowns .A new battery was ultimately required.

My son bought a 3 1/2 year old Octavia back in 2019 which had been stored for a few months and the battery was complaining even after a rather long test drive. We insisted on a new suitable stop/start battery before buying.

It's not the end of the earth re cost but you might as well use your rights to get a shiny new battery.

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 2

The garage has a responsibility under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 despite what excuse they say it is not covered under the RAC warranty. It is law and your car has a 6 month warranty to cover any fault that happens. Except things like puncture etc. Garages and dealers know about this but do not like the consumer knowing as it costs them money.

If they dont play ball I would just quote the act and Citizens Advice. Normally gets them motivated 👍

I have a similar issue the dealership tested the battery & said it was ok.i was due to have the car booked in for an overnight battery charge & investigation, but it started working intermittently mostly on milder days, so i didn't bother in case i got landed with a diagnostic fee from the dealership if they found no fault, i find the tech's at the dealership whete i bought it just can't be bothered

On 22/02/2022 at 22:08, andy2286 said:

I only thought Halfrauds for the battery check because its it's free- their impartiality hadn't even occurred to me at the time!

Whether or not I'm using a fresh battery I'm not too sure, but the car has only 25,000 odd miles which for a '65 car is very little so if it is original, it could very well be on its way out.

Can I ask, What exactly do you mean by a smart charger?

Hi Andy, apologies for delay in answering your question - smart chargers are fitted with electronics to allow different charge-rate programmes and selectable settings to allow charging of the three common types of starter battery fitted (standard lead-acid, EFB and AGM) They usually have a 'battery recovery' programme to allow recharging a battery that may be suffering from sulphation and also minimise risk of overcharging.

Common manufacturers are Ring and Ctec. 

A bit late to the party…

100%, the battery has lost capacity due to low miles over such an age range. It’s not going to improve so a replacement has to be made. 

6 hours ago, BigEjit said:

A bit late to the party…

100%, the battery has lost capacity due to low miles over such an age range. It’s not going to improve so a replacement has to be made. 

Very likely, although no harm in trying a long charge to check actual battery condition. My stop-start becomes intermittant during winter due to low mileage runs.

Battery is Moll EFB, was replaced (along with alternator) during first 6 months of warranty, and still tests as +- 90% on battery condition meter. In fact, it's on charge right now as I seem to one of the few owners on this forum who actually likes the function.

Edited by Warrior193
added note.

That’s not actually strictly true, the CRA is most certainly not a 6 month warranty and it does not mean a dealer has to fix any fault. What you might expect from a 3 year old £40k car is different from a 15 year old £1k car. Say for example an incidental fault like a heated wing mirror not working, no dealer is going to fix that under CRA on the £1k example, the car is still fit for purpose.