Manœuvre and front assist

Hi

This morning I wanted to test these two safety features. I placed a big cardboard box and... Bump, the car didn't brake 

I have a my2019 superb, equipped with rear camera, front/rear park radars and blind spot monitor (+manœuvre assist) 

Do the manœuvre assist and front assist work with fixed objects? Or is my car not working? Or is my testing method? 

I wanted to try with my wife but for some reasons she didn't want to

1 minute ago, Legion said:

Isn't maneuver assist when the car takes control and parallel parks or front in parks? I think front assist is the beeps. I think you'll get a solid tone when you hit your wife.

There are 4 systems youre getting confused with:

- Standard parking sensors whether front or rear

- ParkPilot which is self parking using the above sensors + 4 more

- Front assist which is collision detection at speeds above i believe 30km/h using the front medium range radar

- Manoeuvre assist which uses the parking sensors at very low speeds to detect objects or pedestrians and will put the brakes on i believe its speeds below 10km/h

I think it's only supposed to detect moving objects. I'm not convinced that's the case though as there are a few narrow roads near me where you end up quite close to parked cars whilst following a sharp curve and it's screamed at me to put the brakes on.

Ask you wife to jig up and down a bit :giggle:

26 minutes ago, unclerichy said:

I think it's only supposed to detect moving objects. I'm not convinced that's the case though as there are a few narrow roads near me where you end up quite close to parked cars whilst following a sharp curve and it's screamed at me to put the brakes on.

Ask you wife to jig up and down a bit :giggle:

It will work on moving objects as well as stationary objects no problem.

the thing you are talking about is front assist, not manoeuvre braking

• Thanks 1

You need either a chicken or small dog in the box for the system to react, don't try it with a rabbit as that would be cruel.

As far as i know you need to be above a certain speed for it to work, 1,5km/h to 10km/h in reverse, and 2,5km/h to 10km/h forwards..

Also not sure which model year was the first to have it, i dont think all mk3 have it!

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

9 minutes ago, bubib5 said:

As far as i know you need to be above a certain speed for it to work, 1,5km/h to 10km/h in reverse, and 2,5km/h to 10km/h forwards..

Also not sure which model year was the first to have it, i dont think all mk3 have it!

It's mentioned in the manual of the car

It works on mine and scares the bejeezus out of me when it happens. It detects a shrub as I'm reversing out of a spot in my driveway and the wheel is turned towards the shrub.

7 hours ago, bubib5 said:

They were made available from MY18 onwards.

I missed out with my MY17.

4 hours ago, JR RS said:

Dont we (pre my18) have a similar system, just not able to turn it on or off in the mib? i swear my 2016 stopped me from hitting a small parking post behind me which i didnt register when backing up due to a phone call in progress..

4 hours ago, JR RS said:

Missed out?

I would be thanking my lucky stars that I dodged a bullet.

Now if the system prevented a driver from driving either forward or reverse whilst talking on the phone or playing with the infotainment screen that would be desirable but as all of the once safe, tactile & ergonomic controls have now been put on the screen that isn't going to happen.

Well here in Oz, I remember distinctly that the Manoeuvre Assist was introduced from MY18.

Not long ago, I was reverse parking, very slowly, got distracted by adjusting the door side distance, that I hit the retaining wall, at a very very slow speed.  Minor scratches that I touched up with factory paint.

No Manoeuvre Assist stopped me.

There is no Manoeuvre Assist menu anywhere in my Infotainment.

Likewise, I've scanned with OBDEleven, and I certainly don't have the expected Manoeuvre Assist adaptations or associated coding.

19 hours ago, bubib5 said:

No idea what model and year does what, but several times I have put mine into reverse to get off the driveway a person has walked past while I am stationary and the car does a solid beep to warn me there is a pedestrian behind, it actually picks up people walking by on the opposite side of the road.

1 hour ago, Gax said:

No idea what model and year does what, but several times I have put mine into reverse to get off the driveway a person has walked past while I am stationary and the car does a solid beep to warn me there is a pedestrian behind, it actually picks up people walking by on the opposite side of the road.

Thats rear traffic alert system, it does pick up all moving objects, but wont stop you reversing into a wall!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1