RE: 2006 vrS OWNERS STUTTER - SKODA UK FIX

Fitted a 9mm EGR gasket at Position 11 on VRStu's diagram from a few pages back. The dealer carrying out the 'fix' for me in 2006 actually put this gasket on the car at Position 6 i.e under the valve and left the gasket which was causing the stutter on the car. However the car did not stutter.

I was able to get the proper gasket for under the valve from a dealer (Part Number 069 131 547D) and fit this and fit the 9mm where it should be. Used 4mm allen key and 6mm allen key to remove the allen bolts holding the EGR valve to the rest of the engine.

If you have had the fix and looked at Position 11 and found that you do not have either a 9mm gasket or a 14.5 mm gasket fitted, chances are they have fitted it in the wrong place and it is under the valve.

If you wish to swop the gasket but make your own gasket for under the valve it has a hole in it of approx 24mm and the gasket I got appeared to be slightly thicker and not made of metal; some form of composite material.

Have to say that with the correct gaskets in their correct places the car is a lot, lot better. It runs smoother, better gearchange from 1st to 2nd, appears quieter, pulls better and appears to breathe better. Not had chance to see if there has been an improvement in MPG as yet.

**Can confirm that there is no stutter and no engine emissions or management lights lit.**

Anyone with any questions on this job please feel free to PM me.

Thanks to VRStu and Lummox for their help and advice and also Mouse for the pics.

On the subject of zebra's post above I realised a couple of days ago that my dealer fix could have happened at position 6. :confused:

Went out this morning to look and sure enough there are oily finger marks around the EGR valve itself, the gasket in this position is also a pig to get at compared to position 11.

Anyway it started lashing down so I haven't looked at it properly, but it does explain why it took them so long to do the job so I will have to take back what I said about them a few pages ago!

So to all the dealers, I'm sorry for referring to you all as "Stealers", calling you names and sticking my finger up at you 11 times. :o

For the record I have done over 1K miles with a 9mm gasket in position 11 and no problems, (standard car). :thumbup:

I think the confusion has happened because the Euro 111 cars EGR pipework is different, i.e. there's no "correct" position for the 9mm gasket shown on any of the Euro 1V pipework diagrams because it's not fitted anywhere in the system,the gaskets fitted are all 22mm i think. Iirc the Skoda service bulletin doesn't give a precise position, so i suppose some dealers have just picked the one closest to the EGR valve , Whoops !!. Position 11 is i think the closest match to the 9mm gasket location on the older Euro 111 car if memory serves me correctly.

Will be checking mine to see if the 'fix' has been done in the right place. Already have a 9mm ready to fit but simply not got round to it.

If the dealer has put the 14mm in position 6 i will be taking it in so they can 'unfix' it. From there i will put the 9mm in position 11. Hopefully though i can just swap the 14mm for the 9mm at pos 11

As far as the 'fix' goes, i still get the stutter during the first 10 mins of driving. Only once has it stuttered whilst the engine is up to running temp since the fix. What concerns me though is that sometimes it runs pretty rough. To be fair, the original set up felt pretty smooth and if i can get that back AND not have it stutter then i will be very happy indeed.

Mine with 9mm gasket now works OK (2,000 miles later). Hopefully we have a few more satisfied Euro IV owners on here now.

The way i see it if i put a small gasket in position A (11) to let air through, then no matter how big position B (6) is only the volume of air from position A is going to be available to come through.

P.S I am not a rocket scientist

I think the confusion has happened because the Euro 111 cars EGR pipework is different, i.e. there's no "correct" position for the 9mm gasket shown on any of the Euro 1V pipework diagrams because it's not fitted anywhere in the system,the gaskets fitted are all 22mm i think. Iirc the Skoda service bulletin doesn't give a precise position, so i suppose some dealers have just picked the one closest to the EGR valve , Whoops !!. Position 11 is i think the closest match to the 9mm gasket location on the older Euro 111 car if memory serves me correctly.

To fully emulate the EUROIII set up, wouldn't position 6 need to have a 9mm as well :confused:

Mine with 9mm gasket now works OK (2,000 miles later). Hopefully we have a few more satisfied Euro IV owners on here now.

The way i see it if i put a small gasket in position A (11) to let air through, then no matter how big position B (6) is only the volume of air from position A is going to be available to come through.

P.S I am not a rocket scientist

That theory i would say is correct if the exhaust gas flows in that direction.

Plus, what is it that causes the stutter? Is is too much exhaust gas flow, or too little? I may just be talking rubbish though as i'm not 100% sure on what the egr valve is actually for, so do excuse my lack of knowledge. :D

I have had my vrs a few weeks now and have noticed a slight stutter. I am interested as to how you approached the stealer about this. Did you go in with guns blazing or did you play it safe and pretend you were innocently reporting a problem? Or did you do the fix yourselves without the stealers knowing, only asking because of warranty issues? Also do you think I could blag a rear door seal fix at the same time? Cheers.

Guest Xleon

I've had my 06 VRS for less than a month, yet I've had it stutter well over 10 times now in slow-moving traffic and it's driving me nuts!

Its just on the spot where you crawl along in town traffic.

After spending several decades reading this gigantic thread, I don't know what the best thing to do is?

It's going to be Revo-remapped in the next month, so should I phone the dealer and get the new EGR,

or should I phone Skoda Customer Services first before going to the dealer?

Is it worth going to the dealer at all if the new EGR valve doesn't really fix it, but just make the engine rougher at lower revs & idle and

add to the fact that the remap may in fact cure it?

Can someone please also confirm which sizes should be a position 6 and 11 as a summary from the above, just so if I

do get it done, I can hand this info to the dealer and ensure the part goes in the correct location. Thanks.

Arrrrgghhh!!!

You won't get a new EGR Valve, what they do is fit a modified gasket. There is little point in going to customer services as they'll just tell you to go to your dealer.

It's not a complete fix but more the best of a bad job.

I wouldn't go handing any info such as this to the dealer, they don't like being told what to do and they may label you as a tweaker which could casue issues with warranty claims.

To fully emulate the EUROIII set up, wouldn't position 6 need to have a 9mm as well :confused:

Could be wrong, but i think the only 9mm gasket in the Euro 111 setup was positioned in the pipework roughly half way between the EGR valve and the take off point on the exhaust. Think the gasket under the EGR valve was 22mm or larger.

I've had my 06 VRS for less than a month, yet I've had it stutter well over 10 times now in slow-moving traffic and it's driving me nuts!

Its just on the spot where you crawl along in town traffic.

After spending several decades reading this gigantic thread, I don't know what the best thing to do is?

It's going to be Revo-remapped in the next month, so should I phone the dealer and get the new EGR,

or should I phone Skoda Customer Services first before going to the dealer?

Is it worth going to the dealer at all if the new EGR valve doesn't really fix it, but just make the engine rougher at lower revs & idle and

add to the fact that the remap may in fact cure it?

Can someone please also confirm which sizes should be a position 6 and 11 as a summary from the above, just so if I

do get it done, I can hand this info to the dealer and ensure the part goes in the correct location. Thanks.

Arrrrgghhh!!!

Know what you mean about town traffic, it stutters right in the 3rd gear/30mph/ speed camera zone. The fix is not replacement of the EGR valve, but a

Guest Xleon

Thanks for the replies.

VRStu, I agree thinking about it - probably not best to turn up for the first time at my dealer and tell them what to do :)

I'll ask them nicely to have a look at it. I already have to ask them about a creak when I go over speed bumps. (Sounds like a dry suspension creak like I used to have on an old Fiesta during long hot dry spells).

Guest Xleon
Lets hope there are no side-effects to this 'fix'.

Would the change make it possible that it would not pass it's first MOT test in a couple of years due to the change in emissions? Skoda would have fitted this themselves already without all their messing owners around if it was this easy?

Would the change make it possible that it would not pass it's first MOT test in a couple of years due to the change in emissions? Skoda would have fitted this themselves already without all their messing owners around if it was this easy?

There is a possibility of the 9mm gasket throwing up an emissions (engine symbol) warning light on the dash (EU4 cars).. although this seems to be a bit 'hit & miss' - some have reported it, whilst others have driven long distances with no side effects what so ever.

You've got a point there about the MOT however. I thought the test only included for a pass/fail of the exhaust 'smoke' levels, throughout the rev range (diesel car test). Anyone know if the MOT also analyses the emissions content.

Having debated over the pros & cons for some time, I'm going to have my LE booked in for the official SUK fix on this one, via dealer garage.

There is a possibility of the 9mm gasket throwing up an emissions (engine symbol) warning light on the dash (EU4 cars).. although this seems to be a bit 'hit & miss' - some have reported it, whilst others have driven long distances with no side effects what so ever.

You've got a point there about the MOT however. I thought the test only included for a pass/fail of the exhaust 'smoke' levels, throughout the rev range (diesel car test). Anyone know if the MOT also analyses the emissions content.

Having debated over the pros & cons for some time, I'm going to have my LE booked in for the official SUK fix on this one, via dealer garage.

I must be missing something but why dont SUcK instruct the dealers to do the fix before supplying the car ??? Its got to be cheaper than lending owners cars whilst the car is bodged, sorry fixed

I must be missing something but why dont SUcK instruct the dealers to do the fix before supplying the car ??? Its got to be cheaper than lending owners cars whilst the car is bodged, sorry fixed

I asked the same question a while ago on this thread. All I can think of is that it must be a legal thing - admission of a fault, together with liability etc. If they change over to the reduced diameter gasket at production.. the next step would be a recall on all the other EU4 cars out there - imagine the numbers involved.. skoda, vw, seat & so on. At the moment, they are keeping low-key on the stutter issue. Bet no-one was told about the 'phenomenon' prior to picking up their cars at time of purchase? :cool:

I asked the same question a while ago on this thread. All I can think of is that it must be a legal thing - admission of a fault, together with liability etc. If they change over to the reduced diameter gasket at production.. the next step would be a recall on all the other EU4 cars out there - imagine the numbers involved.. skoda, vw, seat & so on. At the moment, they are keeping low-key on the stutter issue. Bet no-one was told about the 'phenomenon' prior to picking up their cars at time of purchase? :cool:

Ah well

Short sighted I guess. Once the recall does come they will have even more cars to fix than they would have had if they had fixed many at source !!

With the fabia launches iminent & the dealers inviting us to go perhaps its time to raise the anti, a few people who can educate potential owners at the launce on how SUK care about the customers might be a bit of Fun.

How about some SUK suck Tee shirts

As far as i'm aware the MOT test only measures particles on diesel engines so shouldn't be a problem. I've kept the 14.5mm gasket just in case anyway. I also believe that the difference in emissions between the euroIII and euroIV is marginal - it's still a pretty eco friendly car. But that fact counts for nothing - regulations are regulations, so i do feel for Skoda there. If it wasn't for the euroIV requirements, i'm sure Skoda would have not tinkered with the egr pipework at all, and thus there being no issue.

If any of you are getting the Skoda fix, make sure you make a mental note of the niose/performance and feel of the car before it goes in. All i can say is that on mine the car is 10x better to drive since i 'fixed' it myself. If the engine sounding like **** is anything to go by, i'd say having a 9mm gasket does the engine more good than skoda's own fix.

hey everyone, big thanks for all the help/advice/pics on the topic. ive managed to fix my stutter completely. i fitted the 9mm gasket to a standard 06 vrs however im getting the emmissions light warning after around 50 miles of continuous driving. if i leave it overnight it usually comes back on in the morning but goes off after about 5 miles! anyone else having this problem?

hey everyone, big thanks for all the help/advice/pics on the topic. ive managed to fix my stutter completely. i fitted the 9mm gasket to a standard 06 vrs however im getting the emmissions light warning after around 50 miles of continuous driving. if i leave it overnight it usually comes back on in the morning but goes off after about 5 miles! anyone else having this problem?

To be honest i havent done 50 miles in one go since fitting it. I'm off today so i think a long drive is in order.

Did Skoda do the fix initially? If so, there may be a 9mm gasket in the wrong place.

they did actually mate, the gasket i took out was from position 11. was the same as the 9mm gasket i put in but had been bored out. i bought the new gasket to see if i saw an improvement because the car was still stuttering. when i took the old one out i was quite honestly shocked at the standard of work carried out. i could have done better with a bloody hacksaw! hole was well off centre and the gasket was very poorly sanded down indeed. aside from covering my interior with mud and not fixing the rattling gear stick this business with the gasket has ****ed me off a great deal. thanks horners M'cr!! :finger:

they did actually mate, the gasket i took out was from position 11. was the same as the 9mm gasket i put in but had been bored out. i bought the new gasket to see if i saw an improvement because the car was still stuttering. when i took the old one out i was quite honestly shocked at the standard of work carried out. i could have done better with a bloody hacksaw! hole was well off centre and the gasket was very poorly sanded down indeed. aside from covering my interior with mud and not fixing the rattling gear stick this business with the gasket has ****ed me off a great deal. thanks horners M'cr!! :finger:

I would say report it to Skoda but as long as the dealer shifts cars they wont be that concerned.

There is a fix on the way for the rattling/vibrating gear lever ,My new Ltd edition does it but these things take time !

:)